RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mercedes Russell
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 01/01/17 9:36 pm    ::: Mercedes Russell Reply Reply with quote

Here's what Matthew Mitchell had to say today. After the Tennessee wins.
On Mercedes Russell's performance)
"She's a really fine player. You have to give her a lot of credit because it really looks to me like she's worked on her game and is really coming into her own, looking like the player that everyone thought she could be coming out of high school. She's got a really powerful game. I thought our post players really battled her and fought, we just didn't give our post enough help. We just need to get back to Lexington and practice and sharpen up what we do because we just mentally are not where we need to be right now. That will improve greatly with reps and practice, and hopefully next time around when we see her again, we'll be able to use more help. She causes some problems, she's really good one-on-one right now. Credit to her, she looks like she's worked on it."

Shades

PostPosted: 01/01/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell must not know what he's talking about because Art assured us that she's "horrible".

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/02/17 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She has improved but still isn't very good IMO, but Kentucky has nobody big enough to match up with her inside. I like Akhator, but she's not big enough to play the position she's being asked to play. Hence against a team like this, Mercedes should dominate.

- Amanda Gorman
~UK~

PostPosted: 01/02/17 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
She has improved but still isn't very good IMO, but Kentucky has nobody big enough to match up with her inside. I like Akhator, but she's not big enough to play the position she's being asked to play. Hence against a team like this, Mercedes should dominate.

Bingo. I love my team but this is typical Mitchell hot air. As short handed as we are TN should have run away with this game. Russell isn't athletic & looks too mechanical. She should do well against undersized teams. TN has talented players but they aren't being utilized.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 01/02/17 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with what Mitchell said. She said she has worked on her game and is starting to come in to her own. The numbers are up. Not just that her defense is also better.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/02/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercedes isn't as fast getting down the court as I would like her to be, but she's a LOT quicker under the basket than she was. Like a lot of big players, she just has taken a long time to develop. I think she'll be better next year. I know there are a lot of people saying she won't stay, but I suspect she will.

PostPosted: 01/02/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Bingo. I love my team but this is typical Mitchell hot air. As short handed as we are TN should have run away with this game. Russell isn't athletic & looks too mechanical. She should do well against undersized teams. TN has talented players but they aren't being utilized.
. Tennessee was short handed themselves, and Russell outplayed Baylor's tall front line. Her major front line tests in the SEC will come from Miss St. and South Carolina. She is a little stiff and could be more consistent.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/02/17 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Mitchell must not know what he's talking about because Art assured us that she's "horrible".

Yes, coaches never give diplomatic non-answers to questions.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/02/17 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Compared to UConn's Natalie Butler, Russell is a speed demon.

PostPosted: 01/02/17 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

But then again, Butler never masqueraded as the best high school basketball player in the country.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/02/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

But then again, Butler never masqueraded as the best high school basketball player in the country.

Russell didn't "masquerade" as anything. That was entirely press talk and you know damn well it was.

PostPosted: 01/02/17 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Indeed.

PostPosted: 01/03/17 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Indeed.

Gentlemen (?), do you really find it edifying to be so denigrating to a girl who "masqueraded" as nothing? She didn't get to demand or even decide her HS ranking. Meanwhile, she's overcome a lot of adversity. And, if I'd have to bet, she'd probably kick either of your azzes 1-on-1 Exclamation

PostPosted: 01/03/17 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Indeed.

Gentlemen (?), do you really find it edifying to be so denigrating to a girl who "masqueraded" as nothing? She didn't get to demand or even decide her HS ranking. Meanwhile, she's overcome a lot of adversity. And, if I'd have to bet, she'd probably kick either of your azzes 1-on-1 Exclamation

Thank you, Howee, for saying so eloquently what I was trying to put into words and a comment. Some so-called "gentlemen" on this board and others are very fond of denigrating her and other young women not on their team of preference for various perceived affronts to their, ahem, sensibilities. I always wonder how they'd feel if someone talked about their daughters in the same fashion. Every one of these young women is someone's daughter.

I'll leave it at that.

PostPosted: 01/03/17 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Ruth Riley Can Have A Great Pro Career So Can Russell Imo.

PostPosted: 01/03/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Ruth Riley was a two time All American, Naismith Player of the Year, led her team to the NCAA Championship, and was NCAA Final Four MOP, none of which Russell will ever likely achieve.

She had an unbelievable work ethic, and an extremely high basketball IQ. Unlike Russell, Riley was effective because she understood the game and was always in good position to score, rebound and defend.

They are in no sense similar.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 01/03/17 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Ruth Riley was a two time All American, Naismith Player of the Year, led her team to the NCAA Championship, and was NCAA Final Four MOP, none of which Russell will ever likely achieve.

She had an unbelievable work ethic, and an extremely high basketball IQ. Unlike Russell, Riley was effective because she understood the game and was always in good position to score, rebound and defend.

They are in no sense similar.

Holly has been coaching for over 30 years and has said many times that Russell has the high basketball IQ she has ever coached.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/03/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Nooo. Please take that back.
Shocked

PostPosted: 01/03/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Indeed.

Laughing

my comment was not to suggest that Russell ever claimed to be the #1 recruit, or acts full of herself as does, say, DeShields.

it was to agree w/ Art's comment that she certainly hasn't proven to be worthy of that rank. She isn't wrong; the raters were mistaken.

As are yourself and stb. Wink

PostPosted: 01/03/17 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SEC player of the week Mercedes Russell.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/03/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who's a better 6-6 center than Russell?
blackrain

PostPosted: 01/03/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like how Mercedes is playing this year. I have always felt she could do more. I don't think she is the awful player some seem to think, but I don't think she is as good as she should be either. I don't think she gets good position to make it easy for her to score. She does sometimes, but needs to be more consistent with it instead of having to try and put the ball on the floor and make a move to the basket. Tina Charles was excellent getting position and sealing her defender. I would like to see Mercedes do that more.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/03/17 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

That's the point. At 6-6 and with her frame, she should be more dominant than she is. She's not terrible but I guess our expectations were set too high to begin with.

- Amanda Gorman
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 01/03/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

That's the point. At 6-6 and with her frame, she should be more dominant than she is. She's not terrible but I guess our expectations were set too high to begin with.

I give her a pass on the first year. Her feet were in bad shape. Then she had surgery and missed a year. She also gained strength since then. I think now you are starting to see her be the player that folks expected.

Last edited by Jlcarter on 01/03/17 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/03/17 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

the point may have been- just a guess here- that she's the only 6-6 center, and thus....

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: