RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DNS Podcast: Kenny Brooks and Va Tech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/22/16 3:10 pm    ::: DNS Podcast: Kenny Brooks and Va Tech Reply Reply with quote

I'll be the first to admit I didn't think Virginia tech deserved to be ranked when they first cracked the top 25. But I've watched more game video and I've been impressed.

Kenny Brooks has done a great job getting them to buy into his system and they seem to enjoy playing for him. Always a nice guy to talk to as well!

Now, let's see what happens in conference play.

http://po.st/I8YmLX

Shades

PostPosted: 12/22/16 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm on Hicks watch!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/22/16 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I'm on Hicks watch!

Really good, really quick hands and great timing defensively. Can't wait to see how she does against ACC guards.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/22/16 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was impressed watching them the other night. It was also kind of funny, as I remarked to The Man, how much they resembled JMU of last year, except for not having anyone with the snakey moves of Jaz Gwathmey. (Unfortunately, neither does JMU this year Crying or Very sad )

PostPosted: 12/22/16 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I was impressed watching them the other night. It was also kind of funny, as I remarked to The Man, how much they resembled JMU of last year, except for not having anyone with the snakey moves of Jaz Gwathmey. (Unfortunately, neither does JMU this year Crying or Very sad )

Kenny says in the podcast his team asked for video of last year's JMU team so they could see what he expects from them. That's some pretty heady stuff but hey, it is an engineering school. Wink

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/22/16 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now THAT'S funny! He also sent one of his transfers up to us, which is funnier yet....maybe he figured she was a bit of a slow learner and would benefit from a year on the bench watching how it's done, since Coach O coaches the same way. Kelly Koshuta seems happy, anyway Smile

PostPosted: 12/24/16 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would you guys be supportive of podcasts which clearly discriminated against Deaf people? I noticed that podcasts are getting more popular over the time and this is incredibly disheartening thing to see. What is in it for me as Deaf person? And you people wonder why Deaf people tends to band together - it is because things like this kept on discriminating us left and right. Stop using these things. top using things that discriminated against any group, seriously.

R-

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/25/16 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Why would you guys be supportive of podcasts which clearly discriminated against Deaf people? I noticed that podcasts are getting more popular over the time and this is incredibly disheartening thing to see. What is in it for me as Deaf person? And you people wonder why Deaf people tends to band together - it is because things like this kept on discriminating us left and right. Stop using these things. top using things that discriminated against any group, seriously.

R-

I see your point- in general, I think we're becoming a more audio-video culture, and that comes with accessibility issues. I don't know that I'd call it discrimination; to me, discrimination implies an active effort to leave a group out, instead of overlooking a group by accident. But I'm not in your shoes.

dts, any chance of transcription for some of your interviews?

PostPosted: 12/25/16 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

Ridor, you are misusing both the word "discrimination" as well as the entire concept.

On your position, every form of information or entertainment in audio form would be discriminatory against deaf people -- all of radio, all music, all spoken voices.

Further on such a position, all video, pictorial and printed word presentations of information and entertainment would be discriminatory against blind people.

The reductio ad absurdum of such a view of discrimination would be that no information, entertainment or anything else could be presented in any form whatsoever -- audio or visual -- for fear of "discriminating" against deaf or blind people.

The vast majority (if not all) of dtsnms's podcasts seem to be recordings of telephone interviews. Hence, they only exist in audio form unless someone transcribes them. Do deaf people have access to equipment that can automatically transcribe voice recordings? If so, many podcasts are downloadable.
ridor

PostPosted: 12/26/16 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glenn, you're not Deaf. Don't tell me that I'm misusing the term, I am Deaf and I know what a discrimination is like to deal on daily basis. What you did was a form of Audism. Knock it off.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/26/16 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To address the various comments here...

Yes, as Glenn said, I record audio over conference line for the most part.

I would love to find software that can accurately transcribe, but haven't been able to find one that can do my voice correctly never mind one on a recording or phone. I, regretfully, suck at transcription and barely have enough time to do the podcasts these days, so I haven't been able to find a solution.

While not deaf, and I can't begin to understand the problems ridor faces with these situations, I have a hard time listening/watching the rise in podcasting and video coverage too because of location and time constraints, but could take the team to read things instead.

I wish there was a solution, but I'm afraid I'm going to just have to do what I can do to get the information out the way I can for now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: