RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac-12 Thread...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/14/16 6:47 pm    ::: Pac-12 Thread... Reply Reply with quote

I'mm'a just open this up here for general Pac-12 discussion. Gab away, fellow left coasters.

Also, since I'm already posting here, I wanna take this opportunity to throw down a marker about some bee ess I noticed on the most recent Bracketology projection...

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

I know it's just Charlie Creme and what he projects is ultimately immaterial, but I'm *really* not a big fan of him shipping the top-ranked Pac team (in this projection, a 2-seed UCLA) out to the Bridgeport bracket, while simultaneously slotting the third-ranked Pac team (4-seed Stanford) into the Stockton regional. Whoever ends up being the top team in the Pac (be it UCLA, or Cal, or Washington, or whoever) should be rewarded with a placement in Stockton, not air-mailed out to friggin' Bridgeport.

As far as my Bruins go, I can tell you that I'd *much* rather they be a 3 or even 4 seed in Stockton than a 2 seed in Bridgeport.

So let's not see any more of that, Charlie (nor from y'all, tourney committee folks). Come tourney time, the best western team-- whoever it ends up being-- deserves to stay in the West. If Stanford is that team, fine, put 'em in Stockton. But if the class of the Pac turns out to be the Huskies or the Bruins or the Beavs or whoever, Stockton oughtta be their destination.

Done.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/14/16 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, I'll start. Smile

Ole Miss spanks Oregon, 83-67.

I figured the Ducks might be road weary, so stayed away.

Or, maybe the SEC is better than the PAC-12.

PostPosted: 12/14/16 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree the best team in the PAC should be slotted in Stockton. At this point, it's pretty hard to tell who that will be, though UCLA is definitely high on the list. I would love to see UCLA as a #2 in Stockton.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 12/14/16 10:33 pm    ::: Re: Pac-12 Thread... Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
I know it's just Charlie Creme and what he projects is ultimately immaterial

LOL....sometimes, I get the impression Charlie doesn't even watch games until about February or so. Laughing But. It's a start.

Remind me: is it already set in stone that the LA first rounds must feed into the Bridgeport regional, or can those locations actually vary on the final bracket?

PostPosted: 12/14/16 10:38 pm    ::: Re: Pac-12 Thread... Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Remind me: is it already set in stone that the LA first rounds must feed into the Bridgeport regional, or can those locations actually vary on the final bracket?

99% positive it's the latter.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/15/16 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Note that Oregon freshman Sabrina Ionescu only played seven minutes in the loss to Ole Miss. She has a bad thumb, and obviously couldn't go…

Since the career record for triple doubles is seven, and she has two in her first nine games, obviously her loss is pretty important.

PostPosted: 12/15/16 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

May come down to buckaroos, UCLA doesn't exactly pack them in, thats why they changed the tournament to Seattle.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/15/16 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMNSHO, Charlie Creme is an idiot. But that's just my personal opinion. I'm with Howee, I don't think he watches a whole lot of games either, at least not at this point in the season.

PostPosted: 12/15/16 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
May come down to buckaroos, UCLA doesn't exactly pack them in...

That eats. If it comes down to that, that sucks super bad.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/15/16 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You might prefer that, but I don't think that's how the selection committee works. If they have UCLA as a 2 seed, and they're the fourth 2 seed, then they will end up farthest from home of the 2 seeds, and that may put them in Bridgeport.

I don't think I've never heard of them dropping a team to a lower seed just so they can play closer to home.

It might be more advantageous, but I don't think that's how it works.

I'm sure no one wants to go play UConn on one of UConn's home courts. But someone has to. And whoever is the 2 seed there is probably going to have won or finished 2nd in their conference. They're not going to upgrade a 5 seed to the 2 seed spot just to make the real 2 seed happy.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/15/16 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If there is any year in the next few that i wouldnt mind going to Bridgeport its this year.

As for the post about UCLA not packing them in and thats why they we nt to Seattle. If they are referring to the Pac 12 Tournament it was previously at USC, not UCLA..
I previously had season tickets to USC, and i had no problem saying hello to the 20 to 25 regulars who attended the games.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/15/16 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm sure no one wants to go play UConn on one of UConn's home courts. But someone has to. And whoever is the 2 seed there is probably going to have won or finished 2nd in their conference. They're not going to upgrade a 5 seed to the 2 seed spot just to make the real 2 seed happy.

Sure, someone has to have that 2-seed in Bridgeport, so go ahead and place a team there which happens to be the 2nd-best team in its own geographical region. The committee has the power to drop a team or elevate a team up or down a seed in order to serve such ends. So, sure, send the 2nd-best Big 12 team to Bridgeport, for example, with the best Big 12 team going to Oklahoma City. Or send the 2nd-best SEC team to Bridgeport, with the best SEC team going to Lexington. Hell, send the 2nd-best Pac-12 team to Bridgeport. That's fine. No complaints.

Just don't "reward" the Pac-12 champ with a 2-seed flight to Bridgeport while granting the 4th-best Pac-12 team a bus-ride to Stockton. If, say, Washington is able to demonstrate season-long dominance within the Pac-12, the Huskies should be rewarded (come tourney time) with an actual advantage relative to the conference mates they've dominated. The 2-seed in Bridgeport is no such advantage, compared to a 3-seed in Stockton.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/15/16 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK I will take the UC off. LA doesn't exactly pack them in Rolling Eyes

linkster

PostPosted: 12/15/16 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
You might prefer that, but I don't think that's how the selection committee works. If they have UCLA as a 2 seed, and they're the fourth 2 seed, then they will end up farthest from home of the 2 seeds, and that may put them in Bridgeport.

I don't think I've never heard of them dropping a team to a lower seed just so they can play closer to home.

It might be more advantageous, but I don't think that's how it works.

Not exactly. According to their policies 2 seeds are assigned regional sites by distance starting with the highest 2 seed. As history has shown, the western regional is almost always the furthest site for every 2 seed but a west coast team. That's why Stanford always stayed in the west as long as they were a 1 or 2 seed.Where they fell within their seeding was irrelevant. Baylor and Texas are almost but not quite closer to Stockton than Bridgeport according to Google driving distance.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/15/16 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting back to the PAC12, I don't know which is the best or worst conference but after having the PACNetwork for 2 years I enjoy watching PAC12 BB much much more than SEC basketball.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/15/16 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Sure, someone has to have that 2-seed in Bridgeport, so go ahead and place a team there which happens to be the 2nd-best team in its own geographical region. The committee has the power to drop a team or elevate a team up or down a seed in order to serve such ends. So, sure, send the 2nd-best Big 12 team to Bridgeport, for example, with the best Big 12 team going to Oklahoma City. Or send the 2nd-best SEC team to Bridgeport, with the best SEC team going to Lexington. Hell, send the 2nd-best Pac-12 team to Bridgeport. That's fine. No complaints.

Just don't "reward" the Pac-12 champ with a 2-seed flight to Bridgeport while granting the 4th-best Pac-12 team a bus-ride to Stockton. If, say, Washington is able to demonstrate season-long dominance within the Pac-12, the Huskies should be rewarded (come tourney time) with an actual advantage relative to the conference mates they've dominated. The 2-seed in Bridgeport is no such advantage, compared to a 3-seed in Stockton.

I don't know what you're asking. A 2 and a 4 seed aren't interchangeable. They aren't going to give a 4 seed team the 2 seed spot in Bridgeport.

And if they're in different regions, what difference does it make to UCLA where UDub gets sent?

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/15/16 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I don't know what you're asking. A 2 and a 4 seed aren't interchangeable.

No, but a 4 and a 3 are interchangeable, and a 3 and a 2 are interchangeable. So-- just for discussion's sake, and using Creme's current bracket projection-- one could make the following changes:

*Reseed Washington from 3 to 2 and put them in Bridgeport.
*Reseed Stanford from 4 to 3 and put them in Washington's current slot (OKC).
*Reseed Miami from 3 to 4 and put them in Stanford's current slot (other half of the Stockton bracket).
*Reseed UCLA from 2 to 3 and put them in Miami's current slot (Stockton)

Via the above, the Pac-12 champion gets rewarded for its championship with a placement in the Stockton regional, rather than punished for its championship with a trip to Bridgeport.

The above is just an example, of course, but since you asked...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/15/16 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I don't know what you're asking. A 2 and a 4 seed aren't interchangeable.

No, but a 4 and a 3 are interchangeable, and a 3 and a 2 are interchangeable. So-- just for discussion's sake, and using Creme's current bracket projection-- one could make the following changes:

*Reseed Washington from 3 to 2 and put them in Bridgeport.
*Reseed Stanford from 4 to 3 and put them in Washington's current slot (OKC).
*Reseed Miami from 3 to 4 and put them in Stanford's current slot (other half of the Stockton bracket).
*Reseed UCLA from 2 to 3 and put them in Miami's current slot (Stockton)

Via the above, the Pac-12 champion gets rewarded for its championship with a placement in the Stockton regional, rather than punished for its championship with a trip to Bridgeport.

The above is just an example, of course, but since you asked...

They're "interchangeable" only to make the placement satisfy the rules, not because someone doesn't want to play in a difficult region.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/16/16 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
They're "interchangeable" only to make the placement satisfy the rules, not because someone doesn't want to play in a difficult region.

That's not exactly the most charitable description of my argument, Art.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/16/16 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

So if UConn was going to be the #1 seed in Stockton with Maryland as #1 in Bridgeport, where would you want UCLA to end up after all the machinations? Stockton or Bridgeport?

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/16/16 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

So if UConn was going to be the #1 seed in Stockton with Maryland as #1 in Bridgeport, where would you want UCLA to end up after all the machinations? Stockton or Bridgeport?

This was not necessarily about where UCLA, per se, gets sent. But if UCLA were to win the Pac-12 and if the tournament committee were to consider UCLA the best team in the western region, then yes, I'd prefer for Pac-12 champion UCLA to be sent to Stockton, even if that happened to be the same region in which UConn were placed.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/17/16 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"]
patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

So if UConn was going to be the #1 seed in Stockton with Maryland as #1 in Bridgeport, where would you want UCLA to end up after all the machinations? Stockton or Bridgeport?[/quote]

LOL. As if that would EVER happen...

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 12/18/16 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming:

So, Colorado and Utah remain undefeated. Neither playing the toughest slate in the PAC 12, but CO did have a nice win over KY. Anybody here see either team making it to the Conference Tourney semis or better?

And now, another diversion:

Today, Dec. 17, Tennessee, Rutgers and Dayton are ALL at the very bottom of their respective conferences. Shocked Just an odd-but-shocking bit o' trivia.

PostPosted: 12/18/16 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming:

So, Colorado and Utah remain undefeated. Neither playing the toughest slate in the PAC 12, but CO did have a nice win over KY. Anybody here see either team making it to the Conference Tourney semis or better?

And now, another diversion:

Today, Dec. 17, Tennessee, Rutgers and Dayton are ALL at the very bottom of their respective conferences. Shocked Just an odd-but-shocking bit o' trivia.

Wow, how things can change!

Kailapea

PostPosted: 12/19/16 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a PAC 12 observation that I don't get..... You have schools like UW, SC who are running through the preseason and UW is ranked 11 (and likely to jump over Stanford and UCLA since they both lost).. But why? What do the powers that be, base their opinions on when voting? Neither, aforementioned) team has played and beat anyone noteworthy. I mean UW is steamrolling teams, which is easy when you are playing the likes of Cal State Northiridge, Seattle, Portland et al.

SC (who has received some votes) is the same.... Blasting teams but for the most part, a pretty weak preseason and they LOST to UNLV!

I guess my question is why aren't the opponents factored in when ranking teams?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: