RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac-12 Thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/18/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Cal can't shoot (at least consistently) and since who wins is determined by the team that puts the ball through the metal ring more often, that puts them at a significant disadvantage.

Athletes are great, but skill matters too ...

That seems to be the way Cal way has been for years. Better athleticism versus their opponents, but worse shooting. Which is the opposite of what I would expect from a school with a stellar academic reputation.

My Bruins, too, are very athletic but have trouble converting consistently from the perimeter. As with Cal, that's been the pattern at UCLA for a while now, and this year isn't any different: in conference action thus far, UCLA's 3FG% is 11th (at .243). Cal's is 9th (at .310).

IM in OC

PostPosted: 01/18/17 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Cal can't shoot (at least consistently) and since who wins is determined by the team that puts the ball through the metal ring more often, that puts them at a significant disadvantage.

Athletes are great, but skill matters too ...

That seems to be the way Cal way has been for years. Better athleticism versus their opponents, but worse shooting. Which is the opposite of what I would expect from a school with a stellar academic reputation.

My Bruins, too, are very athletic but have trouble converting consistently from the perimeter. As with Cal, that's been the pattern at UCLA for a while now, and this year isn't any different: in conference action thus far, UCLA's 3FG% is 11th (at .243). Cal's is 9th (at .310).

Maybe when ucla goes to Cal in a few weeks they move the 3pt line in 10 feet.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/18/17 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/23/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
OSU is unlikely to face much challenge this weekend, and ditto the Huskies. UCLA may have trouble in Galen against the Trojans, though. That tends to happen.

Just as the Bruins can't overlook the Trojans, the Huskies can't overlook the Cougs.

Welp, sometimes that Patrick Meighan guy ends up being right about stuff. Not always, but sometimes. The rough Bruin game against WoT ended up being the Pauley iteration, not the Galen one, but beyond that... not too shabby, that crystal ball of mine.

The conference standings now are thus:
OSU: 7-1
Washington: 7-1
Stanford: 7-1
UCLA: 6-2
ASU: 5-3
Oregon: 4-4
Cal: 3-5
Wazzu: 3-5
Utah: 2-6
'Zona: 2-7
Colorado: 1-7
USC: 1-7

OSU holds the tie-breaker against Washington, by virtue of having beaten the Huskies in Gill. There won't be a rematch between the two unless it takes place in the Pac-12 Tourney, so that game on New Year's Day may (may!) end up determining the top seed come conference tourney time. If Stanford wants to remain in the first deep breath of any championship conversation, the Card is gonna have to pull off the surprise in Seattle this Sunday (the only regular season meeting between the two teams). Massey calls Stanford 7 point underdogs. We'll see how it goes.

UCLA and ASU will be battling on Friday for potential first-round-bye tournament position. After this weekend UCLA travels to the Bay Area, followed by traveling to the Oregon schools, followed by a matchup in Pauley against the Huskies. So in 5 games, UCLA plays 3 opponents in the Massey Top 11... two of 'em on those opponents' home courts. That... is a gauntlet. And it's exceedingly unlikely that the Bruins can run it unscathed. So UCLA needs to bank its wins now and put a gap between themselves and the Devils, before this Pac-12 schedule shrinks that gap right back down to nothin'.

Best of luck to all my fellow left-coasters this week.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 01/23/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pac-12 announces women's basketball players of the week: Osahor, Hebard

Dang, you know the conference has some real players when the kid with a triple-double (her 3rd in just 16 career games Shocked ) isn't the Player of the Week. It appears, though, that Ionescu was nominated for Player of the Week and not Freshman of the Week. Freshman of the Week went to her teammate. Watch out for Oregon.

PostPosted: 01/24/17 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thought Pat, especially, might be interested: Isiah Thomas just gave Monique Billings a shout-out (without actually using her name due to WNBA rules) on NBA Gametime for her near-miss dunk attempt.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/24/17 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

22 wrote:
Thought Pat, especially, might be interested: Isiah Thomas just gave Monique Billings a shout-out (without actually using her name due to WNBA rules) on NBA Gametime for her near-miss dunk attempt.

Ha! Awesome. Sorry I missed that.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/30/17 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've passed the halfway point on the conference season and the Beavs and Card are neck-and-neck (with the Beavs in possession of the head-to-head tiebreak). It looks like this:

OSU: 9-1
Stanford: 9-1
Washington: 8-2
UCLA: 8-2
ASU: 5-5
Oregon: 4-6
Wazzu: 4-6
Cal: 3-7
Utah: 3-7
USC: 3-7
'Zona: 2-8
Colorado: 2-8

Those top 4 teams are looking very solid for the 4 Pac-12 tourney byes. OSU and Washington each have just one tough road game left on their schedules (at ASU and UCLA, respectively). Stanford has the Oregon trip lurking at season's end, and and UCLA is about to begin a truly brutal Bay Area/Oregon back-to-back road swing, and after emerging from that grind, UCLA's reward will be to face the Huskies in Pauley.

Looking at the remaining schedules, and putting on my handicapper's hat, I'd now have to project the Beavs finishing with the conference crown and the Huskies and Cardinal tying for 2nd (with the Card in possession of the tiebreak), and the Bruins hanging on for that 4th and final bye. That said, with the minefield UCLA's about to have to charge across, it's not so very difficult to envision a scenario in which the Bruins stumble and get passed up.

So we'll see.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/30/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colorado at the bottom and Wazzu better than expected are both a bit surprising to me. OrSU at the top is actually pretty surprising as well, Mr Rueck is truly a master. And Cal, hhhum.

- Amanda Gorman
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/23/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heading into the final weekend of regular season games, the Pac12 looks like this:

T1. OSU 14-2
T1. Stanford 14-2
3. UW 13-3
4. UCLA 11-5
T5. Oregon 8-8
T5. ASU 8-8
T7. Cal 5-11
T7. USC 5-11
T7. Colorado 5-11
T7. Wazzu 5-11
T11. 'Zona 4-12
T11. Utah 4-12

The top 4 are already locked in for first-round conference tournament byes, with the winner of Friday's Oregon State/Stanford matchup in prime position to break the tape as regular season champion. That said, should Stanford beat OSU on Friday and then lose to Oregon on Sunday (which is a legitimate possibility), the season would conclude with a 3-way tie for the regular season championship: the Huskies will join the party (this assumes that the Huskies indeed beat Utah and Colorado this weekend, which, um, they will). In the above circumstance, OSU will snatch the Pac-12 Tournament 1-seed (assuming they go on to best Cal), thanks to a confusing sequence of tiebreakers into which I needn't wade.

Washington appears to be locked into the 2/3 side of the conference tournament bracket, with UCLA locked in on the opposite (1/4) side-- as the 4, obvi-- with either Stanford or OSU ready to slide in at the 1 (as mentioned above). Though the Huskies won't be the 1-seed, I imagine that most handicappers would pick 'em as tournament favorites. Or at least I would. These games *will* be played in Seattle, and the Huskies *have* been drawing some rabid crowds... they're just a few hundred tickets away from a sell-out tonight, as a matter of fact, against friggin' Colorado. So though they're a likely 3-seed, those Dawgs are gonna be a very, very, very tough out.

Anyway, should be fun.

Good luck to my fellow left-coasters heading into this final weekend!

tfan

PostPosted: 02/24/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Heading into the final weekend of regular season games, the Pac12 looks like this:

T1. OSU 14-2
T1. Stanford 14-2
3. UW 13-3
4. UCLA 11-5
T5. Oregon 8-8
T5. ASU 8-8
T7. Cal 5-11
T7. USC 5-11
T7. Colorado 5-11
T7. Wazzu 5-11
T11. 'Zona 4-12
T11. Utah 4-12

ASU really fell. Kelsy Moos missed a month and a half but they must miss their two guards from last year as well. Arizona got a few wins from their new coach. I think Oregon would be with the 5-11 crowd if Ionescu hadn't signed late with them. But Hebard is doing really well as a freshman post too.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/24/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

T1. OSU 14-2
T1. Stanford 14-2
3. UW 13-3
4. UCLA 11-5
T5. Oregon 8-8
T5. ASU 8-8
T7. Cal 5-11
T7. USC 5-11
T7. Colorado 5-11
T7. Wazzu 5-11
T11. 'Zona 4-12
T11. Utah 4-12

ASU really fell. Kelsy Moos missed a month and a half but they must miss their two guards from last year as well. Arizona got a few wins from their new coach. I think Oregon would be with the 5-11 crowd if Ionescu hadn't signed late with them. But Hebard is doing really well as a freshman post too.

Kelly Graves can coach a little too. Everywhere he's been, from when he first began as an assistant at Portland, has become a winner during his time. St. Mary's, Gonzaga and now Oregon -- I don't think it's coincidence.

PostPosted: 02/25/17 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Beavers, who have now locked up at least a share of the Pac-12 Championship, and who can win it outright with a win on Sunday at home against Cal.

The Beavers have also clinched a #1 seed in the Pac-12 Tournament, with #2 going to either Stanford or Washington, depending on whether or not the Cardinal beats Oregon tomorrow. #4 is still locked in for UCLA.

Also, thanks to Cal's upset win in Eugene last night, ASU has clinched the #5 seed, with that #6 seed definitively going to Oregon.

The above sets up some intriguing possible 2nd-round matchups, including potentially Oregon vs. Washington, Stanford vs. Cal, UCLA vs. ASU, and Oregon State vs. USC (who handed the Beavers their only home conference loss this season).

Down the stretch they come.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/26/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the regular season has concluded, with the Pac-12 standings looking like this:

1. OSU 16-2
T2. Stanford 15-3 (Pac-12 Tourney 2 seed)
T2. UW 15-3 (3 seed)
4. UCLA 13-5
5. ASU 9-9
6. Oregon 8-10
T7. Cal 6-12 (8 seed)
T7. Wazzu 6-12 (7 seed)
T9. Utah 5-13 (12 seed)
T9. Colorado 5-13 (10 seed)
T9. 'Zona 5-13 (11 seed)
T.9 USC 5-13 (9 seed)

Shades

PostPosted: 02/26/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/26/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was surprised to see Utah was the 12 - but now I see it's on tiebreakers. The bottom is pretty clearly the bottom anyway. Hard to see any of those teams winning after the first day. I'm thinking ASU, Ore. or Cal could surprise one of the top 4, but not the rest.

The tourney being in Washington's front yard does give them an edge. It would be interesting to see what the NCAA committee would do if they won.

- Amanda Gorman
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/26/17 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I was surprised to see Utah was the 12 - but now I see it's on tiebreakers. The bottom is pretty clearly the bottom anyway. Hard to see any of those teams winning after the first day. I'm thinking ASU, Ore. or Cal could surprise one of the top 4, but not the rest.

The tourney being in Washington's front yard does give them an edge. It would be interesting to see what the NCAA committee would do if they won.

I'm going to guess, barring anything too crazy, if Oregon St wins the PAC-12 tournament, they are a #1 seed (#4 overall); Washington or Stanford, a high 2-seed (#5-#7 overall); UCLA, pray that you don't get placed in the UConn region.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/27/17 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'm going to guess, barring anything too crazy, if Oregon St wins the PAC-12 tournament, they are a #1 seed (#4 overall); Washington or Stanford, a high 2-seed (#5-#7 overall); UCLA, pray that you don't get placed in the UConn region.

I think OrSU could still be a #2 seed, but at least it shouldn't be the #8 of the 2's, which should mean they have a good chance to get Stockton. Any of the others could wind up in Bridgeport - somebody has to go there! If OrSU doesn't win the tourney, then it gets crazy.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/27/17 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I think OreSt needs at a minimum for ND, Baylor, or SCar to lose in their conf tournament.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/27/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
UCLA, pray that you don't get placed in the UConn region.

If it is the case, for the second-consecutive year, that the UCLA Bruins are the Pac-12 team which gets sent to the Bridgeport Regional, then I suppose that's what happens. As mentioned upthread, someone's gotta go there. It's certainly not my *preference* that UCLA go to Connecticut for a second-consecutive time, but that's not unprecedented, and again, what'll happen is what'll happen. My only serious bellyache will be if UCLA goes to Bridgeport as a 4-seed (which is supposedly where the 16th ranked team is to be slotted). In the committee's last snapshot, UCLA was ranked 13th. Since then they've gone 2-0, picking up two road wins at the 'Zona schools. Yet Creme (in this morning's bracketology) seeds UCLA #4 at Bridgeport, which means he sees the committee docking the Bruins 3 ranks as a reward for going undefeated since the last snapshot. That bites!

Theoretical: if (IF!) UCLA were to get a win in its first game of the Pac-12 tourney (which will most likely take place against ASU, again), and then if UCLA were to perhaps take a close loss in the conference semis against an Oregon State team that is being pondered upthread as a potential 1-seed, is *that* grounds for the Bruins to be demoted to the 16th rank? Going 3-1 since the final committee snapshot, with the single loss being against the Pac-12's best team?

I would submit: hell no.

So if it happens like the above, color me an angry Bruin fan.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 02/27/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If anyone hears the status for Kristen Simon/USC, please post.
She injured something(knee, leg or foot) and had to be carried off the court during Sundays game at UA.
Hopefully it was a tweak and nothing more.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/01/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the Pac-12 regular season now complete, I've been doing some manual computation of some of UCLA's efficiency stats on the season, because I'm a big nerd and WBBState is now useless but I still need to see them numbers!

Anyway, while I was at it, I decided to compute the topline (PPP and D-PPP) efficiency stats for each of the Pac-12 conference teams. I'm posting 'em here, now, 'cause why not?

You won't find any big shockers here, I must confess. Oregon State is the best defensive team and UW is the best offensive team. Surprise! Furthermore-- as one might imagine-- these efficiency rankings are not un-reflective of the actual conference standings. The 4 best Pac-12 teams (OSU, Stanford, UW and UCLA) are all not-so-coincidentally represented in the top 4 of both the offensive *and* defensive efficiency rankings.

Meanwhile, upstart Oregon certainly scored some points for itself (5th best conference PPP), but it just so happens that the Ducks' defense was second-worst in the Pac (and 4 thousandths of a point out of dead last). Obviously Oregon will need to improve on that going forward.

Anyway, submitted for your whatever.

Good luck to all teams headed to Seattle for the conference tourney!

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/04/17 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@CoachCloseUCLA
We will break the @Pac12WBB tourn attendance record this yr. We are the #1 rpi conf. TV ratings 4 WBB have tripled over last 2 years.#Elite

@CindyBrunsonAZ 5h5 hours ago

Crazy cool to be among the 9,686 fans for session 4 2nite at @KeyArenaSeattle = 1st sellout in 16 yr history of #Pac12WBB @pac12 tourney! 🏀

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: