RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac-12 Thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/19/16 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The PAC USC isn't ranked, but they nearly knocked off Mississippi St last night.

UNLV beat Mississippi and BYU, so they might be a little better than you think. They play Oregon St tonight, so you might wanna check that game out.

Washington played ND tough and they beat Missouri. They have plenty of hype coming from Plum, who may be headed to Top 3 in All Time NCAA scoring, plus some leftover hype from last year's Tourney. They've earned their hype. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they get exposed during the conference games, they'll be dropping soon enough.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/19/16 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/19/16 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
Here's a PAC 12 observation that I don't get..... You have schools like UW, SC who are running through the preseason and UW is ranked 11 (and likely to jump over Stanford and UCLA since they both lost).. But why? What do the powers that be, base their opinions on when voting? Neither, aforementioned) team has played and beat anyone noteworthy. I mean UW is steamrolling teams, which is easy when you are playing the likes of Cal State Northiridge, Seattle, Portland et al.

SC (who has received some votes) is the same.... Blasting teams but for the most part, a pretty weak preseason and they LOST to UNLV!

I guess my question is why aren't the opponents factored in when ranking teams?

What "noteworthy" team have any of them beat? So UCLA played Baylor and SCar. They lost. UW played Notre Dame. They lost. SC played Miss St yesterday. They gave them a battle, but they lost.

Stanford beat Texas, ASU and Col beat KY. That's about it. All the other " noteworthy games" by PAC teams have been losses. And Stanford lost to Gonzaga and Tenn.

I think the pollsters take plenty of notice if you beat somebody good. But it's still early, schedules are uneven, and the rankings incorporate a lot of judgment and speculation.

UW gets a lot of credit, first, for being a Final Four team last year (certainly not a minor accomplishment). And second for being the home of Kelsey Plum. You can probably expect them to get a lot of attention all year.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 12/19/16 8:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/19/16 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Plum hasn't played anything but standing in the corner zone for 8 years LMAO.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/19/16 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
And Plum hasn't played anything but standing in the corner zone for 8 years LMAO.

So what? She largely carried them to the final four, didn't she?

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 12/19/16 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

No, she didn't. Kelsey had a great tournament but she by no means carried UW to the Final Four.

Chantal Osahor and Talia Walton had as much to do with the Final Four run as Kelsey did. There were also significant contributions from everyone that played during the tourney.

John Wooden
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/19/16 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

No, she didn't. Kelsey had a great tournament but she by no means carried UW to the Final Four.

Chantal Osahor and Talia Walton had as much to do with the Final Four run as Kelsey did. There were also significant contributions from everyone that played during the tourney.

Without Plum they probably wouldn't have made the tournament, much less the final four.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/19/16 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow and all this time I though the game of basketball involved both offense and defense LMAO

Walton and Osahor were huge last year, especially Walton and the feisty glue player Atchley, see thats what happens when people just look at stats and not watch games!

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/20/16 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Getting back to the PAC12, I don't know which is the best or worst conference but after having the PACNetwork for 2 years I enjoy watching PAC12 BB much much more than SEC basketball.

Why thank you, missed this post earlier. Laughing

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/23/16 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Massey's currently got 7 Pac-12 teams ranked in the top 20. More than a third of the Top 20 teams in the nation, all belonging to one single conference.

It's legitimately insane.

What a fun conference season this is gonna be. Best of luck to y'all. May the best team win it!

elsie

PostPosted: 12/24/16 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UW in football and basketball on the mens side is the same....many home games in a row and a weak schedule....but they get rewarded for it....

now my team Gonzaga has a 9-2 record playing Mich/Florida state at a neutral site where they lost, but played Stanford at Stanford and won, and has also beaten Northwestern and WSU.....

so 2 Pac 12 teams and a Big 10.....do they get the votes?....nope....

unkiemark

PostPosted: 12/25/16 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Colorado lost its final non-conference game to Wyoming. They will move onto conference play at 10-1, which is much better than many Buff fans would have predicted after last season which saw them win a total of 7 games. The only real notable win thus far was over Kentucky, in Boulder, which the Buffs lead wire to wire.

Sophomore point guard Kennedy Leonard is leading the team in scoring, assists and 19.1 ppg, 5.8 apg and 2.7 spg. Against Wyoming she scored 20 points in the fourth quarter in an attempt to get the Buffs back in the game.

Beyond individual accolades, New head coach JR Payne and her staff have done a tremendous job of instilling confidence in the whole team as well as putting in place a system that allows each individual to play to her strength. No one gets pulled for missing a shot (even if it isn't well advised) or in general making a mistake.

This team plays best when they are able to create a fast pace by pressuring the opposition and creating a lot of turnovers. They aren't as good when they have to play a half court game on both ends. This is how Wyoming beat them.

As for how they'll perform in Pac 12 play, my guess is they'll be a bit better than expected (11th place prediction by the conference coaches), but won't be good enough to finish in the top half of the conference.

They don't have any real threats in the low post on offense and if they can't create turnovers on defense they give up high percentage shots too often.

Kennedy Leonard generally plays at a high level and could be a 1st team conference player this season.

PostPosted: 12/30/16 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marie gulich channels her inner-Ruth-Hamblin to the tune of 27 points, 13 boards 6 blocks and The Beavs down Cougs

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/31/16 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Marie gulich channels her inner-Ruth-Hamblin to the tune of 27 points, 13 boards 6 blocks and The Beavs down Cougs

yeah, all I have to do is drop her from my fantasy team and then she does this!

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/31/16 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colorado just came down to earth. USC beat them soundly and UCLA will do the same in a couple of days. That ranking was nice while it lasted.

- Amanda Gorman
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/01/17 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though it's incredibly early (just the very first weekend of conference play), today's a kinda big day in the Pac-12 race. Honestly, today will (at least from my vantage point) be a strong indicator of the extent to which Oregon State and Arizona State will be able to challenge for this season's conference crown.

If ASU loses at home to Cal, that gives the Sun Devils 2 losses on the season, both losses coming at home, with many stiff road challenges still to come. Truthfully, it'd all but eliminate the Sun Devils from conference contention, with the calendar just having turned to January, for cripes sakes.

Meanwhile, OSU can theoretically rebound from a loss to Washington today (should that happen), with the caveat that the two teams will not meet again this season, so a Husky W today would allow the Dawgs to pocket the head-to-head tiebreaker against the Beavs (should it come to that). Beyond that, Washington has (to my estimation, at least) the benefit of a less-challenging schedule than most of the rest of this season's conference contenders... if you look at their conference schedule, there's just not too many L's out there for them. If the Huskies can escape Gill Coliseum with a win today (after having already stormed through Eugene against a Duck team missing its starting backcourt), that's just that many fewer losses the Dawgs'll have come season's end, meaning it's only gonna be that much harder for the rest of the conference's contenders to reel 'em in.

So... big early day in the Pac.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 01/01/17 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
...Beyond that, Washington has (to my estimation, at least) the benefit of a less-challenging schedule than most of the rest of this season's conference contenders... if you look at their conference schedule, there's just not too many L's out there for them.

A couple of ways to look at that. Sure, the Huskies get the benefit of not having to visit the Bay Area schools...but will that be a talking point at the end of the regular season?

Speaking just from the perspective of a fan and not for the team...maybe we want that opportunity on the road against two more ranked teams? Regardless, the Huskies don't have a say in the conference schedule, so all they can do is focus on who is in front of them.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 01/01/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
...Beyond that, Washington has (to my estimation, at least) the benefit of a less-challenging schedule than most of the rest of this season's conference contenders... if you look at their conference schedule, there's just not too many L's out there for them.

A couple of ways to look at that. Sure, the Huskies get the benefit of not having to visit the Bay Area schools...but will that be a talking point at the end of the regular season?

Speaking just from the perspective of a fan and not for the team...maybe we want that opportunity on the road against two more ranked teams? Regardless, the Huskies don't have a say in the conference schedule, so all they can do is focus on who is in front of them.

It's okay, Oregon State taking care of business so far. Kelsey Plum laying a major goose egg.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 01/01/17 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Utah does everyone a favor and beats Southern Cal. Emily Potter with a ho-hum 16pts, 6 reb, 6 blocks.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 01/01/17 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
It's okay, Oregon State taking care of business so far. Kelsey Plum laying a major goose egg.

Yeah, this game is not going to help her a/to ratio.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 01/01/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pac-12 Standings:

1. Oregon State (2-0) Next: @Cal, @Stanford.

2. Stanford (2-0) Next: vs. Oregon, Oregon State

3. UCLA (2-0) Next: @Washington State, @Washington

4. Washington (2-1) Next: vs. USC, UCLA

5. Arizona State (1-1) Next: @Utah, @Colorado

6. Utah (1-1) Next. vs. ASU, Arizona

7. California (1-1) Next vs. Oregon State, Oregon

8. USC (1-1) Next: @Washington, @Wazzu

9. Washington State (1-2) Next vs. UCLA, USC

10. Colorado (0-2) Next: vs. Arizona, Arizona State

11. Oregon (0-2) Next @Stanford, @Cal

12. Arizona (0-2) Next: @Colorado, @Utah

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/01/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Typical day in the P12. We beat up on each other so much that nobody gets a really high ranking, which then sets us up to (hopefully) pull some upsets come tourny time.

- Amanda Gorman
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/01/17 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

I, for sure, don't blame the Huskies for their conference schedule. It's 100% out of their control. As you say, all the Dawgs can do is play the teams they're scheduled to play.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 01/02/17 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
I, for sure, don't blame the Huskies for their conference schedule. It's 100% out of their control. As you say, all the Dawgs can do is play the teams they're scheduled to play.

Honestly, my least favorite road trip for the Huskies is the Arizonas. Sure, some may look at the Wildcats as an easy W, but a win doesn't help your RPI and a loss could be disastrous.

And Tempe is a tough place to play...plus there is some bad blood there (although my understanding is that we are not the only ones). Several years ago, some fans went after our players, and they got to them. There was physical contact between their fans and our players. I think we were considering not coming back for the second half if the arena didn't start to provide us with some security. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but unfortunately it's not like that kind of fan behavior is uncommon at ASU.

So beyond Ws and Ls and RPI, I like it when we don't have to go to the Arizonas for safety's sake.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/02/17 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmmm. FASCINATING day on the Left Coast.

And....what say ye (who know your teams so intimately) about such things as the victories by Wazoo, Utah, and OR-State? Flukes? Oracles of Doom?

PostPosted: 01/02/17 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Honestly, my least favorite road trip for the Huskies is the Arizonas. Sure, some may look at the Wildcats as an easy W, but a win doesn't help your RPI and a loss could be disastrous.

Of course it can vary from year to year, but this year especially, I'd much rather my team play at the Arizona schools and skip the Bay Area trip than vice versa. I seriously doubt that any Pac-12 team will be able to pull off a sweep at the Bay Area schools this season, whereas that's happened at the Arizona schools already (Stanford just swept 'em), and I bet it'll happen again... Massey projects Washington to do it, and OSU to do it, and Massey gives the Bruins about a 50/50 shot to do it as well.

Now, granted, Massey doesn't know that the ASU fans were dangerous jerks to your players a few seasons ago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: