RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

We'll see how long this lasts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/04/16 6:53 pm    ::: We'll see how long this lasts Reply Reply with quote

Actually it's 16-0 now. And they combined for 221 pts today.

But later this week both the women and the men face the defending national champions.

Should be an interesting week.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/04/16 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ND men have faced a very bad schedule, but the women's schedule has been pretty tough. I wonder if either wins their tough game this week.

Massey presently has the ND women as having only a 22% chance of beating UConn. The men have only a 25% chance of prevailing. Not only are UConn and Villanova the defending national champs, but each is presently rated as the #1 team by Massey. Tough week for the Irish.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/04/16 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
The ND men have faced a very bad schedule, but the women's schedule has been pretty tough. I wonder if either wins their tough game this week.

Massey presently has the ND women as having only a 22% chance of beating UConn. The men have only a 25% chance of prevailing. Not only are UConn and Villanova the defending national champs, but each is presently rated as the #1 team by Massey. Tough week for the Irish.

I'll take Notre Dame & 9-2 odds.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/04/16 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

We'll see if the line moves in the next few days. I doubt Massey will move much, but the live lines do change as the event nears.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/05/16 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am predicting Notre Dame women run the table and enter the NCAA tournament undefeated. They do have a pretty tough schedule, but virtually all of the tough teams are at Purcell.

I think they win them all. I may have to turn in my UConn credential now...Wink

Phil

PostPosted: 12/05/16 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I'm guessing that's the women only?

Massey updated to 23%.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/05/16 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The women will beat UConn, the men will lose to Villanova.

MBR_CT33

PostPosted: 12/05/16 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shouldn't this Women's game be an an easy win for ND? at home, big crowd, #1 ranking, veteran players against UConn's last years role players?

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 12/05/16 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much as I hate to say it.. nobody is beating UConn this year. Geno just continues to make filet mignon out of sirloin.. everybody else is using Spam.

If Notre Dame doesn't beat UConn this week then they're not losing this season. I had high hopes for SC this season but after yesterday's showing it's obvious that it's probably not going to happen for us. UConn is long and quick just like Duke and we'll go into that game forcing the ball inside resulting in turnovers and missing wide open jump shots.

Sorry to be Mr. Pessimistic but yesterday's loss really did me in. Crying or Very sad

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/05/16 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MBR_CT33 wrote:
Shouldn't this Women's game be an an easy win for ND? at home, big crowd, #1 ranking, veteran players against UConn's last years role players?

Easy win? You are the first person I have heard suggest that. Notre Dame is ranked higher in the polls than UConn, but only by a little. Notre Dame also has the home court advantage, which is usually a 3-point edge. So using that rationale, ND should be favored by about 4. How is a 4-point victory an easy win?

It's true that UConn had to replace 3 starters, but Notre Dame had to replace 2. The starters Notre Dame replaced contributed far less than UConn's graduating starters, but when you get to fill 2 of the spots with the #1 and #5 recruits that are now sophomores, the pain is lessened, shall we say. And junior Gabby Williams was ranked as high as #2 by one service, so that is a very capable starter as well.

That Massey has Notre Dame as a 9-point favorite says more about the dominance of last year's UConn team than this season's, as the Huskies were ranked far higher than the other teams to start the season. But as the season progresses, the initial conditions of the Massey model become less important, and UConn has been drifting pack to the pack (despite looking very impressive on the court). Have you noticed how UConn has been doing against the Massey spread? Not that well, as they have seldom covered.

I'm looking forward to a great game on Wednesday, but if you fear it will be an easy win for Notre Dame, you don't need to watch it. Wink

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/05/16 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCGamecock wrote:
As much as I hate to say it.. nobody is beating UConn this year. Geno just continues to make filet mignon out of sirloin.. everybody else is using Spam.

If Notre Dame doesn't beat UConn this week then they're not losing this season. I had high hopes for SC this season but after yesterday's showing it's obvious that it's probably not going to happen for us. UConn is long and quick just like Duke and we'll go into that game forcing the ball inside resulting in turnovers and missing wide open jump shots.

Sorry to be Mr. Pessimistic but yesterday's loss really did me in. Crying or Very sad

Hey Mr. Pessimistic, it was one game. No team is as good as they look when they pummel a team, nor as bad as they look when they perform far worse than expected. Dawn has lots of tape on what worked against her team so she needs to study it and make the necessary corrections. South Carolina is still in my final 4.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/05/16 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easy win? You are the first person I have heard suggest that. Notre Dame is ranked higher in the polls than UConn, but only by a little. Notre

Not any more...UConn number one in the new AP poll.

I still say Purcell makes the difference.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/05/16 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Mr. Pessimistic, it was one game. No team is as good as they look when they pummel a team, nor as bad as they look when they perform far worse than expected. Dawn has lots of tape on what worked against her team so she needs to study it and make the necessary corrections. South Carolina is still in my final 4.

If this was the NBA you might be able to go out and sign or trade for a point guard. Not that easy to fix in college.

They might still be in the top four because some of their main competitors have the same problem.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 12/05/16 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the perfect storm for ND and against UCONN.. ND has the home court, a veteran talented point guard which is UCONN's krytonite, a UCONN team that is one of its weakest in years with no first team AA player as noted in the beginning of the year, the consensus best player on the court playing for ND in Turner and probably the best guard in Allen or at the very least the most experienced at her starting position. Damn if ND doesn't kick UCONN's ass this year when will it?

PostPosted: 12/05/16 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
This is the perfect storm for ND and against UCONN.. ND has the home court, a veteran talented point guard which is UCONN's krytonite, a UCONN team that is one of its weakest in years with no first team AA player as noted in the beginning of the year, the consensus best player on the court playing for ND in Turner and probably the best guard in Allen or at the very least the most experienced at her starting position. Damn if ND doesn't kick UCONN's ass this year when will it?

I'd love to start a list of guards that were UConn's kryptonite at some point. Amber Orrange, Jeannette Pohlen, Trish Juhline, Nadirah McKenith, Skylar Diggins, Kayla McBride, Jewell Lloyd.

I seem to recall Notre Dame kicking UConn's ass six times over the course of 2011-2013, but of course UConn won the championship when it counted.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/05/16 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

I'd love to start a list of guards that were UConn's kryptonite at some point. Amber Orrange, Jeannette Pohlen, Trish Juhline, Nadirah McKenith, Skylar Diggins, Kayla McBride, Jewell Lloyd.

I seem to recall Notre Dame kicking UConn's ass six times over the course of 2011-2013, but of course UConn won the championship when it counted.

Kellie Jolly (now Harper) kicked some Husky butt when it counted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: