RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bizarro fouls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/29/16 4:15 pm    ::: Bizarro fouls Reply Reply with quote

The one I noticed over the weekend...[unfortunately don't remember which game]:

Player is on her hands and knees near the basket after falling there during a rebound. [probably got pushed to get there] Player from other team is straddling her like a horse. Player underneath tries to get up and they call a foul on her! Holy shit. Is she supposed to just remain in position while the other girl sits on her effectively keeping her out of play?

Anyone else see that? Or others equally bizarre?

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/29/16 5:45 pm    ::: Re: Bizarro fouls Reply Reply with quote

I've seen a couple of fouls called this year on players laying on the ground doing nothing but trying to keep from getting kicked. The explanation I heard once, from Lobo iirc, was that being on the ground is not a valid defensive position so if there's contact it's on the player on the ground.

My reaction was huh? When did that start?

Jdub

PostPosted: 11/29/16 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That foul was on Sam Fuehring of Louisville, I believe. I thought it was a strange call, but I didn't see Walz going crazy, so I assumed it must have been correct. I guess if a player falls down someone should go sit on them to take them out of the play?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/29/16 9:59 pm    ::: Re: Bizarro fouls Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Player is on her hands and knees near the basket after falling there during a rebound. [probably got pushed to get there] Player from other team is straddling her like a horse. Player underneath tries to get up and they call a foul on her! Holy shit. Is she supposed to just remain in position while the other girl sits on her effectively keeping her out of play?

i saw that one and had the same wtf? reaction.

PostPosted: 11/29/16 10:20 pm    ::: Re: Bizarro fouls Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I don't think the rules call that a player that is down on her hands and knees on a basketball court is in a proper basketball stance, and therefore has not established position on the court. And if that same player is underneath another player who is standing up on her two feet - which I think is considered establishing position according to the rules - and she just rises straight up underneath the other player, lifting the other player physically off the ground, then that is against the rules just as surely it would be by shoving or yanking the player out of her stance. Technically it's the same thing.

If I recall correctly, it was Alaina Coates who was in a strong post position and calling for the ball. The UL player was trying to front/body her, and she lost contact with Coates' body while leaning, and fell to the floor. Coates just held her ground because, why shouldn't she? She had established position and shouldn't have to give the position up just because an opposing player can't stay up on her feet. The UL player needed to move from underneath Coates without shoving her or - as she did - just forklift Coates up into the air. Just crawl out from under Coates. It wasn't Coates' fault that the UL player let herself get off-balanced until she fell. That's a valid foul every time on the UL player....

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/29/16 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think it was Coates but maybe it could have been. And I believe the ball was already on its way down the court to the other end. So the straddling player was simply preventing a player from getting up and running down the court. I also think the player underneath tried to move forward before rising up...but of course one's instinct when you're on your knees is to get up as fast as you can. Also I think the player on top actually backed up to straddle her. As with most things, it all happened pretty quickly

It would be interesting to see that particular play again if anyone creative can find the clip.

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 11/29/16 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/29/16 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I don't think it was Coates but maybe it could have been. And I believe the ball was already on its way down the court to the other end. So the straddling player was simply preventing a player from getting up and running down the court. I also think the player underneath tried to move forward before rising up...but of course one's instinct when you're on your knees is to get up as fast as you can.

It would be interesting to see that particular play again if anyone creative can find the clip.

I think the SC player was Herbert-Harrigan.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/30/16 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I don't think it was Coates but maybe it could have been. And I believe the ball was already on its way down the court to the other end. So the straddling player was simply preventing a player from getting up and running down the court. I also think the player underneath tried to move forward before rising up...but of course one's instinct when you're on your knees is to get up as fast as you can.

I think the SC player was Herbert-Harrigan.

Well it was Herbert-Harrigan, not Coates. But it was at the 1:25 mark of the 2nd Qtr., Herbert-Harrigan had moved across the key and was trying to post up a position on USC's end of the court for an inlet pass from Harris, and Fuehring was trying to front-guard her but didn't have her body underneath her and tripped and fell into Herbert-Harrigan's legs head first.

Herbert-Harrigan already established the position she wanted and now her defender was on the floor on her hands and knees - she was basically alone on that side of the key with the only UL defender close to her out of position to defend a shot. Why should she stop calling for the ball and just step away from Fuehring, giving up her established position?? Fuehring had no established position and she was NOT shoved or pushed to the floor by Herbert-Harrigan: just get out from under Kiki's legs, but don't do it by standing straight up and lifting her off the floor. She was called for the foul and rightfully so.

Herbert-Harrigan takes two FT shots and makes them, putting USC up 34-29. They were her 1st points of the game.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: