RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Can anyone tell me about Georgia Tech?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/28/16 6:42 pm    ::: Can anyone tell me about Georgia Tech? Reply Reply with quote

I really know almost nothing about their team this year. I assumed they were just going to stagger along again this year, but that may not be a correct assumption.

They are 6-0, and their last three wins were over Georgia, Dayton and Missouri, which is more legit than a lot of teams at this early point in the season.

They have a freshman named Francesca Pan who was Junkanoo Jam MVP and is this week's ACC Freshman of the Week.

But I know little about their team.

Can anyone here fill me in?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/28/16 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They dont have kaela davis šŸ™ˆšŸ˜„

PostPosted: 11/28/16 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know them well....they always seem to be one of those teams doomed to the lower tiers of a P5 conference. I always wondered how she ever got Kaela there, to begin with. The current roster looks like a junior United Nations. Only 5 of 13 are Americans.

PostPosted: 11/29/16 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ptg Cha Sweeney transferred from EMU to play there this yr. Excellent ballhandler, 3pt shooter, court vision. From Toledo/Rogers HS, originally Cool

pilight

PostPosted: 11/29/16 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going up to Atlanta to see them in person on the 7th

PostPosted: 11/29/16 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're hosting Michigan Thursday for the ACC/B1G. It should be a good match.

crispyten

PostPosted: 12/04/16 3:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm late in getting to an answer. I don't get to this board on a daily basis and mostly read only those threads that interest me, so I hope I don't repeat too much that has been covered before. I don't consider myself an expert on any team, but I have seen all Tech's home games so far this year and I have at least been introduced to all team members.

That said, I'm pretty confused with what is going on with this team and I suspect the coaching staff is also. The two best players from last year's squad are gone. Aaliyah Whiteside*** led the ACC in scoring last year, played major minutes, earned lots of freethrows and made around 90% of them. Roddreka Rogers was a 6-0 post and the best rebounder of any player at Tech in my memory.

This year's roster has one 6-4, four 6-3, one 6-2, one 6-1, and one 6-0 members and is in need of better posts. The best is 5-11, junior, Zaire O'Neil. The 6-0 and the 6-1 are freshmen guards and one 6-3 is a senior, wing. The 6-4 freshman has yet to play, but she did warm up (for the first time I believe) in Saturday's game. Don't know if she is injured. In the Michigan game Thursday, the five starters scored a total of 10 points in a 52-92 loss. Michigan was definitely the better team, but not 40 points better. I believe every game has had a different starting lineup. There is no shortage of talented guards including three freshmen and the grad student transfer mentioned in the above post. Kaylan Pugh, who transferred from Ohio State last year will be available in January (possibly mid-December, depending on transfer rules).

Coach MaChelle Joseph seems to pick one player and make her THE go-to star. Since she has been head coach, there has been (in order) Brigette Ardossi, Alex Montgomery, Sasha Goodlett, Tyaunna Marshall, Kaela Davis, and Aaliyah Whiteside***. I think some of the criticism Davis got was because Coach Jo was trying to make her into her BIGGEST star and Davis was just doing (shooting, shooting, shooting) as instructed. After all, she came to Tech as the highest ranked recruit ever. Coach Joseph, herself, was the Big Ten Player of the Year (and I think, national POY, but I'm not sure) as a senior and at the time of her graduation was number 1 on the Big Ten all-time scoring list. Was she trying to do the same for Kaela? Is that why Kaela transferred?

Who does Coach Jo have in mind for her next star?

A corrections from a previous post - Seven of the fourteen players are international. (Only one is from the state of Georgia).

Why did Kaela Davis go to Georgia Tech? Well, she's from Atlanta . . . and . . . I'm pretty sure she was majoring in engineering. (Her major at South Carolina is Integrated Technology).

***One more thing about Aaliyah Whiteside that I find amazing. She played four years at Georgia Tech and never fouled out of a game. She averaged 1.44 fouls per game and that number would have been lower except that when Coach called for those "intentional fouls" at the end of a game, guess who got called on because she had none. Minutes played per game: fr., 20.4; so., 22.3; jr., 34.5; sr., 35.8. These are not official numbers, but some I calculated from her stats. [/b][/u]

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/04/16 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched GA Tech online against Missouri in the Junkanoo and expected that Michigan would have some really tough competition. I figured Tech's bigger posts would bang U-M's and get them in foul trouble. Instead U-M used speed and blew by them. It wasn't a stellar shooting night for Michigan behind the arc - 33% - after leading D1 at 45%.

It's interesting that you noted the changing starting line-up. Georgia Tech's starters went 2-15 from the field (Pan went 1-10), and the subs shot 15-43.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/04/16 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One point about GA Tech that some people may forget....like a few other schools (Duke, Stanford, Vandy immediately spring to mind) there's a pretty rigorous academic component that has to be met as well. So not just any player is going to get in there, or be able to stay there. (I have a step-grand down there this year as a freshman (academic schollie), and he's having to work *really* hard.)

PostPosted: 12/04/16 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last 4-5 years MaChellenhas really went with the overseas route, surprising in a state like Georgia wh n you're one of the big schools
And the number of strong players that come Out of that state. As
Mentioned many of those Oversea kids are tall but not really solid post players in the American game. Also, outside of Davis and one or two other kids the last 4-5 years, her doestic
Recruits were
From North of the Mason-Dixon. Did she get on the bad side of the big AAU programs in the state?

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/22/16 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
The last 4-5 years MaChellenhas really went with the overseas route, surprising in a state like Georgia wh n you're one of the big schools
Mentioned many of those Oversea kids are tall but not really solid post players in the American game. Also, outside of Davis and one or two other kids the last 4-5 years, her doestic
Recruits were
From North of the Mason-Dixon. Did she get on the bad side of the big AAU programs in the state?

Or she may not have the $ to pad the pockets of those AAU programs and specifically their coaches.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/23/16 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Recruits were

Or she may not have the $ to pad the pockets of those AAU programs and specifically their coaches.

I'm pretty sure this happens on the boys' side, but I don't think it's going on the girls' side. There's just not enough money at stake to try to bribe people.

I will agree that sometimes college coaches will take Player X from a club in order to have a good relationship with the coach when Player A makes a decision, but even that is chancy. If Player X has a lousy experience, Player A probably won't sign up.

PostPosted: 12/23/16 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Recruits were

I'm pretty sure this happens on the boys' side, but I don't think it's going on the girls' side. There's just not enough money at stake to try to bribe people.

I will agree that sometimes college coaches will take Player X from a club in order to have a good relationship with the coach when Player A makes a decision, but even that is chancy. If Player X has a lousy experience, Player A probably won't sign up.

It certainly doesn't happen to the same extent, but it happens. It happens because coaches value making a half million or more per season to coach basketball. The amounts are different and the inducements are not the same, but the NCAA decided to look the other way with regard to AAU programs years ago. I know that some AAU coaches do amazing things for young men and women, but some also use their position to influence kids to make decisions that are extremely self serving. Its not always a bad thing, but it is what it is I suppose.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/23/16 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Recruits were

I don't think it is nearly as corrupt as the cesspool that is men's BB but it has certainly appeared that some of these camp/tournament/team organizers have very cozy relationships with certain coaches and steer girls to those coaches while steering them away from others with whom they don't have such hot relationships. Whether or not those relationships are based on cash or on other favors, I'm skeptical there isn't a lot of backscratching going on.

Cash payments or no cash payments, there's something wrong if advisors and those in a position of supposed trust are pushing girls in directions to advance their own interests rather than the interests of the girl.

I'm curious who is promoting and setting up visits for some of these foreign players. I'm dubious they're all just being "discovered" by hard-working US coaches scouring the courts of Europe. How does an unknown player from Denmark suddenly decided to fly to the US and visit the campus of Southeast Wyoming A&M? There almost has to be a middleman setting that up, doesn't there?

Durantula

PostPosted: 12/23/16 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Recruits were

I don't think it is nearly as corrupt as the cesspool that is men's BB but it has certainly appeared that some of these camp/tournament/team organizers have very cozy relationships with certain coaches and steer girls to those coaches while steering them away from others with whom they don't have such hot relationships. Whether or not those relationships are based on cash or on other favors, I'm skeptical there isn't a lot of backscratching going on.

Cash payments or no cash payments, there's something wrong if advisors and those in a position of supposed trust are pushing girls in directions to advance their own interests rather than the interests of the girl.

I'm curious who is promoting and setting up visits for some of these foreign players. I'm dubious they're all just being "discovered" by hard-working US coaches scouring the courts of Europe. How does an unknown player from Denmark suddenly decided to fly to the US and visit the campus of Southeast Wyoming A&M? There almost has to be a middleman setting that up, doesn't there?

I am not sure if you are referring to a specific players but typically when I hear about foreign players visiting colleges stateside, its official visits which are paid for by the college. I presume some kids may visit on their own dime, depending on if their family has the money. One way to look at it, is if they know their child is about to get 4 years of school paid for, maybe they can splurge for airfare to the U.S. to visit a few schools. Flights to Europe right now are cheap as ever, so it doesn't seem like a huge stretch.

Thanks to youtube and such I have heard of some schools recruiting players strictly off game film, but also during these FIBA events often times you will see college coaches going to scout. There are also some Europe-based basketball scouts who sell scouting services to U.S. colleges. Europeans seem to come to the states in a lot of sports such as tennis and soccer, so I don't know if it really sticks out as an issue. If anything these women's basketball teams have much bigger recruiting budgets than an average soccer team and could likely scour for foreign kids.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/23/16 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Recruits were

I am not sure if you are referring to a specific players but typically when I hear about foreign players visiting colleges stateside, its official visits which are paid for by the college. I presume some kids may visit on their own dime, depending on if their family has the money. One way to look at it, is if they know their child is about to get 4 years of school paid for, maybe they can splurge for airfare to the U.S. to visit a few schools. Flights to Europe right now are cheap as ever, so it doesn't seem like a huge stretch.

Thanks to youtube and such I have heard of some schools recruiting players strictly off game film, but also during these FIBA events often times you will see college coaches going to scout. There are also some Europe-based basketball scouts who sell scouting services to U.S. colleges. Europeans seem to come to the states in a lot of sports such as tennis and soccer, so I don't know if it really sticks out as an issue. If anything these women's basketball teams have much bigger recruiting budgets than an average soccer team and could likely scour for foreign kids.

No, not referring to any specific player. Tried to pick a fictitious college and unlikely country.

And I wasn't talking about who paid for the visit, but rather how the connection is made in the first place between an obscure foreign player and a relatively obscure college and team.

Somebody has to be making the connection. It's one thing if you're talking about someone like Angela Salvadores who played for all the Spanish national youth teams and is well known. But that's not the case for most of these players. And it's one thing if they're going to Duke or some school known around the world, but some of these schools aren't that well known either.

So how are player X and school A being introduced to each other? How are they each learning the other exists and should be further pursued?

Oh, and a lot of the schools relying on foreign players don't have big budgets to fund scouting trips around the world. I'm not talking about FSU or Duke.

Durantula

PostPosted: 12/23/16 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think some of the connections are from scouting services that go overseas. Some of the American based ones even go to 1 or 2 events a year if the U.S. teams are there. But there are cost effective ways to do this. FIBA typically live streams games on Youtube for free. I can go to any FIBA website and pull stats from any youth event and see who the standouts were. That right there can give colleges some players to keep in mind and try to gauge which of them are interested in coming stateside. Also, FIBA events are free for attending. So while the flight may be a lot, if you go to a typical AAU event in America you could pay $300 for entry to one event. Say you have a coach going to two events in one day, $600 bucks. I am seeing flights from NYC to Amsterdam that you can buy right now for $309.

And while most of the players coming to the states may not be like Salvadores or Romero, many play in the same FIBA events with their country so they can still get good exposure.

Scouting services try to promote how their cost is cheaper than one flight overseas so if that is the value proposition I guess many of the JUCO's or low D1's may not be traveling but relying on scouts, video, stats. Here is one international scouting service: http://netscoutsbasketball.com/recruiting-service/

We understand the highly competitive recruiting game & how inefficient it can be with your time & money. The cost of our service is much less than one trip to Europe, South America, or Asia. We are your eyes and ears that direct you to your next international recruit! Recruits that would not be possible for you to see under your current constraints, thereby saving you time and money in your budget.

Sometimes its just luck or one good connection that helps build a pipeline. St. Mary's men's team has had a lot of Australian players throughout the years. By now they probably have kids from Australia or their coaches proactively sending them film to get on their radar. South Florida women's basketball has had quite a few players from Spain, at this point the coach probably has connections over there that he can lean on even if he is not going over there every year to find new players. Just a variety of ways to go about it. I will say I see more and more international players coming to America so it is only getting more popular.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/23/16 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
I think some of the connections are from scouting services that go overseas. Some of the American based ones even go to 1 or 2 events a year if the U.S. teams are there. But there are cost effective ways to do this. FIBA typically live streams games on Youtube for free. I can go to any FIBA website and pull stats from any youth event and see who the standouts were. That right there can give colleges some players to keep in mind and try to gauge which of them are interested in coming stateside. Also, FIBA events are free for attending. So while the flight may be a lot, if you go to a typical AAU event in America you could pay $300 for entry to one event. Say you have a coach going to two events in one day, $600 bucks. I am seeing flights from NYC to Amsterdam that you can buy right now for $309.

And while most of the players coming to the states may not be like Salvadores or Romero, many play in the same FIBA events with their country so they can still get good exposure.

Scouting services try to promote how their cost is cheaper than one flight overseas so if that is the value proposition I guess many of the JUCO's or low D1's may not be traveling but relying on scouts, video, stats. Here is one international scouting service: http://netscoutsbasketball.com/recruiting-service/

We understand the highly competitive recruiting game & how inefficient it can be with your time & money. The cost of our service is much less than one trip to Europe, South America, or Asia. We are your eyes and ears that direct you to your next international recruit! Recruits that would not be possible for you to see under your current constraints, thereby saving you time and money in your budget.

Sometimes its just luck or one good connection that helps build a pipeline. St. Mary's men's team has had a lot of Australian players throughout the years. By now they probably have kids from Australia or their coaches proactively sending them film to get on their radar. South Florida women's basketball has had quite a few players from Spain, at this point the coach probably has connections over there that he can lean on even if he is not going over there every year to find new players. Just a variety of ways to go about it. I will say I see more and more international players coming to America so it is only getting more popular.

It seems you come around to "scouting services" and "connections", which doesn't surprise me. Which of course raises the very issues we were discussing of what is the motivation for those folks and whose interests are they advancing in making the introductions for players? Are players being told of all the options that might be available or just being handed one or two pre-arranged opportunities? What do the scouts and others get out of it? It would seem the opportunity to manipulate kids would even be greater in this context than in the case of US high schoolers.

I doubt if anyone is recruiting based on YouTube and stat sheets.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/24/16 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, from what I've seen of the teams I follow, the international players either come via an assistant with overseas connections (whether that person is originally not from the States herself, or knows people overseas is variable) or through some of the Stateside academies that bring in foreign players.

There are also a *lot* of national teams and a lot of international events. Granted, I'm seeing the effect in reverse- recognizing collegiate/past collegiate names on national teams- but I would think that someone as well networked as a coach with international players would be able to scout FIBA events.

I do wonder sometimes if some schools also have stronger outreach to international students in general, and athletics is part and parcel of that deal.

(now with spelling variations)
ClayK

PostPosted: 12/24/16 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's no doubt the system is heavily skewed towards colleges and those who understand how things work (such as club coaches). The families only go through this once, and by the time they figure out that their best interests are secondary (or worse) to the people making money, it's way too late.

Which is yet another reason players should be allowed to transfer with no penalty. The system is rigged against them during recruiting, but once they learn what no one told them, they have very limited options available.

The college coaches and administrators, and club coaches, of course have no such restrictions.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: