RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll Week 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:09 pm    ::: AP Poll Week 4 Reply Reply with quote

Except for a couple of outliers, the top three are pretty well acknowledged.. (Some guy from Wyoming has SCar a ridiculous fifth on his ballot, a few have S Car 4th and Antonneli has UConn 4th behind Maryland.)

1 Notre Dame (16) 6-0 803
2 Connecticut (14) 4-0 797
3 South Carolina (3) 5-0 766
4 Baylor 7-1 725
5 Maryland 6-0 694
6 Mississippi State 7-0 636
7 Louisville 6-1 634
8 Florida State 6-1 551
9 Ohio State 5-2 546
10 UCLA 5-1 541
11 Stanford 6-1 479
12 Oklahoma 5-0 445
13 Washington 6-1 423
14 Texas 2-2 400
15 DePaul 5-1 318
16 West Virginia 7-0 303
17 Kentucky 5-1 276
18 Miami 5-1 245
19 Florida 4-1 192
20 Syracuse 4-3 146
21 Colorado 6-0 116
22 Tennessee 3-2 99
23 Auburn 6-1 70
24 Oregon State 3-1 69
25 Texas A&M 5-0 68

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that all it takes are 5 wins over nobodies, a loss to WVU, and to be the beneficiary of an epic collapse by an IU team that got crushed by 3-3 Western Ky for Auburn to end up in the top 25.

Do they really belong there over GaTech, KSt, Cal, Gonzaga, Green Bay, etc?

Phil

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After watching South Carolina, I can easily understand them being ranked ahead of UConn. I haven't yet seen Maryland so I have no opinion whether they should be ahead of them as well.

The most glaring mistake is leaving Tennessee ranked. I get that there's some inertia in the polls but inertia explains why the team might be a couple of places higher or lower than they really should be. The early computer rankings can be suspect but we are far enough along that the computer rankings have some validity. Tennessee is ranked 32nd by Massey and 33rd by Sagarin. It isn't hard to identify a dozen teams that have a better record, better wins and less bad losses than Tennessee.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Antonelli is as bad as the announcer of our game against Texas who had Texas in her final four while we were beating them handily. While Louisville were getting their butts handed to them she kept going on about them being a final four team Laughing

Phil

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't disagree that Auburn is the recipient of some lazy voting. The theoretical advantage of human voting over machine voting is that you can use the eye test, and maybe pick up some things that aren't fully reflected in the won loss record, the margin of victory, and the strength of the opponents. But Auburn has played almost nobody. Both Massey ranking them at 34th and Sagarin, ranking them at 45th reflect the fact that their nice-looking won loss record comes at the expense of a pile of cupcakes many of which they didn't blow off the floor. Marist is ranked 252nd by Massey. They are one and six. Auburn beat them by a whopping one point. I haven't seen them play, so I can apply my own eye test, but based on the numbers they don't deserve to be on the top 25. Maybe not as far down as 45 but somewhere in the 30s. That said, the record stacks up favorably to Tennessee so wherever you place Auburn you ought to be placing Tennessee close or a little below.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Antonelli has Louisville 7th, which is their consensus ranking. Several voters still have them 5th, including Connecticut writer Jim Fuller (who has Baylor behind them in 6th).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I don't disagree that Auburn is the recipient of some lazy voting. The theoretical advantage of human voting over machine voting is that you can use the eye test, and maybe pick up some things that aren't fully reflected in the won loss record, the margin of victory, and the strength of the opponents. But Auburn has played almost nobody. Both Massey ranking them at 34th and Sagarin, ranking them at 45th reflect the fact that their nice-looking won loss record comes at the expense of a pile of cupcakes many of which they didn't blow off the floor. Marist is ranked 252nd by Massey. They are one and six. Auburn beat them by a whopping one point. I haven't seen them play, so I can apply my own eye test, but based on the numbers they don't deserve to be on the top 25. Maybe not as far down as 45 but somewhere in the 30s. That said, the record stacks up favorably to Tennessee so wherever you place Auburn you ought to be placing Tennessee close or a little below.

Indiana led Auburn 63-52 with 4:44 left in the game and didn't score again until there was 17 seconds left. They were outscored 19-4 in the last 4:44. It was a choke on a scale infrequently seen.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/28/16 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Art's always bashing Lobo for her presumed UConn bias, and yet she voted for ND as #1. With ND holding a razor thin lead of 6 pts, voting the way he thought she would could have made the difference.

The voter I respect the most just looking at the Top 3's is Jim Fuller of the New Haven (Conn) Register. He voted SC#1, ND#2, CT#3. Had he voted towards presumed bias, where would that have left ND? In my mind, SC is #1 but only two voters other than Fuller went with SC as #1.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/28/16 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/28/16 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Art's always bashing Lobo for her presumed UConn bias, and yet she voted for ND as #1. With ND holding a razor thin lead of 6 pts, voting the way he thought she would could have made the difference.

The voter I respect the most just looking at the Top 3's is Jim Fuller of the New Haven (Conn) Register. He voted SC#1, ND#2, CT#3. Had he voted towards presumed bias, where would that have left ND? In my mind, SC is #1 but only one voter other than Fuller went with SC as #1.

Meanwhile two people who make their living shilling for UConn and talk to the program daily - Fuller and Adamec- provide two of SCar's three 1st place votes and put UConn third. Quite a coincidence. Maybe that's how Geno wants it.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/28/16 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't understand why SC has only three 1st place votes. They have dominated 2 top 10 teams and win the eyeball test. They should be right in the mix with UConn and ND, not outside looking in.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/28/16 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:

Indiana led Auburn 63-52 with 4:44 left in the game and didn't score again until there was 17 seconds left. They were outscored 19-4 in the last 4:44. It was a choke on a scale infrequently seen.

Cahill fouled out. She is the stabilizing force while Buss is the energizer. They need both on the floor to be a decent 'team'

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/28/16 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:

The voter I respect the most just looking at the Top 3's is Jim Fuller of the New Haven (Conn) Register. He voted SC#1, ND#2, CT#3. Had he voted towards presumed bias, where would that have left ND? In my mind, SC is #1 but only one voter other than Fuller went with SC as #1.

Meanwhile two people who make their living shilling for UConn and talk to the program daily - Fuller and Adamec- provide two of SCar's three 1st place votes and put UConn third. Quite a coincidence. Maybe that's how Geno wants it.

Do I have this right- the Geno lapdogs, from Lobo to the writers, the blind UConn shills, show integrity by listing SC, ND, CT, and yet EVEN THAT is a sign they're on Geno's payroll?

Aye yie yie.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/28/16 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is my guess, and I haven't seen the Terps yet:

1- SC

3-ND/CT
5-Bay/Mary

I think there's decent separation between the GCs and the next tier, and not much between the next two.

PostPosted: 11/28/16 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all have some low standards LOL

That Cards team was a bunch of pretenders, no inside presence, Hines couldn't get away with her grab and shove and really doesn't have the moves to get by any length. Their guards are all 1 on 1 and even how badly they played, both Davis and Gray got themselves in trouble as they have no discipline.The only production they got from their bench was Harrigan and thats because the Cards don't box out at all.

SCs problem is their starters don't play D and their bench does but can't score.

blackrain

PostPosted: 11/28/16 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on what i've seen so far, South Carolina is number one IMO. Alaina Coates is a beast in the paint. Lots of firepower on South Carolina's team. Davis and Gray provide that outside scoring that South Carolina needs.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/28/16 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I broke the voting numbers down to 7th place

Notable Anomalies:
Antonelli voted CON #4
Scott Nulph voted SC #5
Jim Fuller voted LOU #5, BAY #6
Dan Fleser voted LOU #4
Lauren Shute voted LOU #4
David Cloniger voted OSU #5
Jen Smith voted MD #7

* I messed up slightly in the 6th place column and I didn't want to make a new screencap.
FSU should have 3 sixth place votes instead of 2

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: