RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee Next Head Coach....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/21/16 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
The thing that makes a candidate attractive is some sort of positive connection with the school at a time when the program was experiencing great success.

I think that would be a fatuous, naive and voodoo reason for hiring a coach. Having a "positive connection" with some other person's past success does not make someone a great recruiter, teacher of offense, or teacher of defense.

The five qualities every college coach needs in order to build an elite program are: (1) great recruiter, (2) great recruiter, (3) great recruiter, (4) great teacher of offense, (5) great teacher of defense. Those are the qualities that should make a coaching candidate attractive, especially at a school with an elite history.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/22/16 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
The thing that makes a candidate attractive is some sort of positive connection with the school at a time when the program was experiencing great success.

I think that would be a fatuous, naive and voodoo reason for hiring a coach. Having a "positive connection" with some other person's past success does not make someone a great recruiter, teacher of offense, or teacher of defense.

The five qualities every college coach needs in order to build an elite program are: (1) great recruiter, (2) great recruiter, (3) great recruiter, (4) great teacher of offense, (5) great teacher of defense. Those are the qualities that should make a coaching candidate attractive, especially at a school with an elite history.

I would add that he/she needs to be able to fill in any self 'gaps' with an appropriate assistant coach. Head coach doesn't have to do it all and is even better if she can delegate appropriately.

- Amanda Gorman
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/22/16 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

Agreed. However, if that person also happens to have a connection with the school and the alumni/booster base, that is a positive attribute and not a negative one. Part of the equation is always making your base of supporters happy. You don't have to like it, but that is the way it is and the way it will always be.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/22/16 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
pilight wrote:
Not sure why people are so keen to have an alum as the head coach. That has not been a recipe for success at major conference schools.

That depends on the coach, the sport, and the school. Almost any hire is a roll of the dice. Tennessee women's basketball is different than many programs. Pat Summitt has an enormous coaching tree and it is littered with success. She built a loyal and enthusiastic following that saw packed gyms at a time when many would have thought that was impossible to achieve.

I don't believe that the fact that a coach is an alum or not is the attractive quality. The thing that makes a candidate attractive is some sort of positive connection with the school at a time when the program was experiencing great success. That may or may not be a former player. It may be a former assistant coach or graduate assistant. The fact that the coach was part of the program at a high point suggests to many that he or she knows what it takes to make everything work at that institution.

I'm talking about this sport.

Only one school has won a national championship with an alum as coach: 1988 Louisiana Tech with Leon Barmore, who obviously didn't play WCBB there.

The only team in the current AP top 25 with an alum for a coach is #25 Oregon State. Scott Rueck also didn't play WCBB.

The school connection thing doesn't really hold up either. The top coaches are pretty much all outsiders hired from other schools. The last head coach to win a national championship after being promoted from assistant at the same school was Carolyn Peck at Purdue in 1999, who had been there one season before getting the top job. No one has been an assistant somewhere, left for another school, then come back to be head coach and win a national championship.

Having that connection shouldn't guarantee someone the job, but it shouldn't be viewed as a negative disqualification either. If a hire inspires optimism in your base of supporters, you are one step closer to the goal.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/22/16 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all, we are talking specifically about Tennessee, a rather unique program. In the abstract, a historical connection to Tennessee shouldn't be a negative disqualification. But real world decisions are not made in the abstract.

Two things. First, once a historical connection to UTK is put into the mix as a positive qualification, it tends to take on too much weight, especially in the eyes of nostalgic fans. Hence, in the real world of AD decision-making, it may be better to eliminate it as a qualification.

Second, although Summitt's coaching tree may have many branches, who among those coaches has really showed -- objectively -- that they are great recruiters and teachers of offense and defense. I submit: none of them.

Therefore, in the real as opposed to the abstract world, if Tennessee wants an elite coach, they must as a practical matter avoid the Summitt coaching tree.

BTW, I'm one who doesn't think Holly deserves to be or will be fired. So this replacement coach topic is, to me, just an abstract exercise.
Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 12/23/16 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holly will stay till her contract is up, don't seeing Tennessee buying her out.
I love the men coach from Chattanooga Tn. Matt McCall, he is young and a up and coming coach. I know he has a men team but can do women team very easy. Would love to see him come to the Lady Vol's.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/23/16 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PlayBally'all, we are talking specifically about Tennessee, a rather unique program. In the abstract, a historical connection to Tennessee shouldn't be a negative disqualification. But real world decisions are not made in the abstract.

Two things. First, once a historical connection to UTK is put into the mix as a positive qualification, it tends to take on too much weight, especially in the eyes of nostalgic fans. Hence, in the real world of AD decision-making, it may be better to eliminate it as a qualification.

Second, although Summitt's coaching tree may have many branches, who among those coaches has really showed -- objectively -- that they are great recruiters and teachers of offense and defense. I submit: none of them.

Therefore, in the real as opposed to the abstract world, if Tennessee wants an elite coach, they must as a practical matter avoid the Summitt coaching tree.

BTW, I'm one who doesn't think Holly deserves to be or will be fired. So this replacement coach topic is, to me, just an abstract exercise.

I also agree that, in my opinion, Holly doesn't deserve to be fired at this point. I understand this is all in the abstract. I just think its priceless when people not connected to a program assume they have some right to tell a program what should and shouldn't be included in their criteria for hiring their coach. I don't have a connection to Tennessee, other than the fact that they are a member of the SEC and I have several good friends that are boosters involved with their athletic program. I'm an Auburn grad and long time women's basketball season ticket holder. I can say without a doubt that the one thing a large southern fan base has no patience for is being told what they should and shouldn't look for when they hire a coach.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/23/16 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would never presume to tell Tenn how to hire its next coach, but as a long-time observer of their basketball program and WCBB in general, it is my opinion that CPS's coaching tree doesn't have anyone qualified to be the next head coach at Tenn.

I'd also disagree that a good men's coach can coach women "very easy." There's an entire area in sports psychology revolving around gender differences in sports, including things like learning styles, interpersonal dynamics and conflict resolution, motivational factors, etc. That jump can be a rude awakening for the unwary.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/23/16 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
I can say without a doubt that the one thing a large southern fan base has no patience for is being told what they should and shouldn't look for when they hire a coach.

And every person in that fan base is going to have a different opinion about what they should and shouldn't look for in a coach.

Tennessee can do whatever they want. All I'm saying is that hiring alumni to coach at major conference schools has virtually no track record of success and promoting/rehiring assistants has very little.

PostPosted: 12/24/16 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of these comments are quite funny. Some of the names being thrown out are even funnier. Ill try to address this in my own way.

1. I think Tennessee basketball used to be great. Everyone can agree on that. When Pat left that left also with her. Memories make it hard for people to let go of what "used to be". There are many many teams that have far more success than Tennessee since Pat left. Many.

2. To get Jeff Walz UT would have to have to dig deeper than they even have X2 to get him to talk to them. I am not sure the Admin loves women basketball like the fans do in Knoxville.

3. I agree the best coaches can "recruit, recruit, recruit. That said Matt Insell, Walz or Staley is your best choices.

4. Taking off of that, Staley and Walz both are at the top. Tennessee is not. Why would realistically think about it. Let me tell you why you think they would. Because you remember Tennessee as the UT of old, not as the mediocre team they have become. Holly cant win with some of the best in the country and her recruiting picks have been less than stellar. Which leads me to the next point.

5. Matt Insell. From looking at this from a common sense stand point he appears to be your best bet to revive your program. However, you will be lucky to beat him this year and after that. He is quietly sitting at Ole Miss building a program. Just beat #25 and it was not even close. Sabrina would not have made it a 10 point game so dont even go there. I think he could be persuaded to come to UT, but better not wait a few years, cause Ole Miss will be ahead of UT then he will laugh at you. Coaches have egos.

6. I think some of you are caught up in the past. You are a good team now. You used to be a great team. Big difference. Like La Tech, Old Dominion, WKU of the 90s you are slowly moving in the wrong direction. Right now you have a memory. Those fade fast.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/24/16 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
Some of these comments are quite funny. Some of the names being thrown out are even funnier. Ill try to address this in my own way.

1. I think Tennessee basketball used to be great. Everyone can agree on that. When Pat left that left also with her. Memories make it hard for people to let go of what "used to be". There are many many teams that have far more success than Tennessee since Pat left. Many.

2. To get Jeff Walz UT would have to have to dig deeper than they even have X2 to get him to talk to them. I am not sure the Admin loves women basketball like the fans do in Knoxville.

3. I agree the best coaches can "recruit, recruit, recruit. That said Matt Insell, Walz or Staley is your best choices.

4. Taking off of that, Staley and Walz both are at the top. Tennessee is not. Why would realistically think about it. Let me tell you why you think they would. Because you remember Tennessee as the UT of old, not as the mediocre team they have become. Holly cant win with some of the best in the country and her recruiting picks have been less than stellar. Which leads me to the next point.

5. Matt Insell. From looking at this from a common sense stand point he appears to be your best bet to revive your program. However, you will be lucky to beat him this year and after that. He is quietly sitting at Ole Miss building a program. Just beat #25 and it was not even close. Sabrina would not have made it a 10 point game so dont even go there. I think he could be persuaded to come to UT, but better not wait a few years, cause Ole Miss will be ahead of UT then he will laugh at you. Coaches have egos.

6. I think some of you are caught up in the past. You are a good team now. You used to be a great team. Big difference. Like La Tech, Old Dominion, WKU of the 90s you are slowly moving in the wrong direction. Right now you have a memory. Those fade fast.

There is a major factor that separates La Tech and Tennessee. Tennessee is in the SEC. If La Tech was in a major conference with the resources that brings, they would have been able to sustain a level of success after they lost their legendary coach. Tennessee is to women's basketball what, as much as i hate to say it, bama is to football. They will experience ups and downs, but all of the ingredients are there to be great.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/24/16 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, Matt Insell is good, but he is also in the SEC. I think that possibly getting OUT of the SEC might be a great idea when shopping for the next coach.

Jeff Walz? I have been watching him for several years, and I'm still not convinced. He can recruit, but what he does with what he gets? Not so sure about that. Same with McGuff. I am also not so thrilled with some of McGuff's recruiting practices.

I still think that IF Tennessee wants to improve, they would be best off looking at a coach who is on their way up, not necessarily one who is already there. One who shows that they can recruit *and* make the best of what they get. The best ones I see right now are Raegan Pebley at TCU and Kenny Brooks at VA Tech. I'll give a qualified nod to Sean O'Regan at JMU but not really until I see what he can do with new recruits on his own. He was Kenny's right hand for some years and coaches the same way, but this year's edition of JMU is looking a little shaky at the moment. Also I like Jonathan Tsipis who is at Wisconsin, but they are still looking pretty awful and until I see them improve I don't think I would recommend him.

PostPosted: 12/24/16 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The recruiting point is huge but the recruitment has to be toward the school which is why IMO GG had a problem in Texas as she wasn't in tune with the feuding AAU programs and she had no IN with any of them.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 12/24/16 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

There is a major factor that separates La Tech and Tennessee. Tennessee is in the SEC. If La Tech was in a major conference with the resources that brings, they would have been able to sustain a level of success after they lost their legendary coach. Tennessee is to women's basketball what, as much as i hate to say it, bama is to football. They will experience ups and downs, but all of the ingredients are there to be great.

The ingredients are there I agree. But you have to have a baker to make the cake. Right now you have someone who eats fast food. Fast food equates to a over valued program at this point who is fat on tradition but lean on success the past few years. Each year sets you back three. Remember that.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/26/16 3:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top Picks:

Tina Thompson

Gail Goestenkoers

Karl Smesko

PostPosted: 12/26/16 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Top Picks:

Tina Thompson

Gail Goestenkoers

Karl Smesko

Gail doesn't seem to want to go back to coaching, and the other two appear perfectly happy where they are. I still say, pick one who is on their way up and who is doing well where they are with what they get. I was actually very favorably impressed with Troy's coach, Chanda Rigby. She's done an amazing job with that program and may be ready for a step up.

PostPosted: 12/26/16 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Summertime, question.

I know about the alum not working factor and all.

But what about Nikki McCray? She doesn't seem to get a lot of buzz but has been by all accounts an important part of Staley's staff.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/26/16 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Summertime, question.

I know about the alum not working factor and all.

But what about Nikki McCray? She doesn't seem to get a lot of buzz but has been by all accounts an important part of Staley's staff.

I considered Nikki, but she has no HC experience and seems happy as an AC. Some people prefer that role. I was also looking at more possibilities not only outside the Summitt coaching tree but outside the SEC.

PostPosted: 12/26/16 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing TT will be interested in a HC, but not sure when.

- Amanda Gorman
zvyn3

PostPosted: 12/26/16 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to hire an assistant with no head coaching experience after the way the last one worked out.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/26/16 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
I don't want to hire an assistant with no head coaching experience after the way the last one worked out.

The LV assistant who was hired prior to Holly worked out pretty well.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/16 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:

13 of the last 15 national championships have been won by coaches on their first head coaching assignment

PostPosted: 12/27/16 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

13 of the last 15 national championships have been won by coaches on their first head coaching assignment

Very interesting observation.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/27/16 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Are Tara and Kim the 2 exceptions??

Also tossing into the *Pool*:

Scott Rueck. Cool

PostPosted: 12/27/16 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Are Tara and Kim the 2 exceptions??

Also tossing into the *Pool*:

Scott Rueck. Cool

Gary Blair and Brenda Frese are the exceptions. Tara Vanderveer's last national title was 23 years ago. Kim Mulkey is on her first head coaching job.

Note that Blair, Frese, and Vanderveer were hired by majors from other majors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: