RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Time to bash Holly, Diamond, Mercedes, etc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/27/16 4:44 pm    ::: Time to bash Holly, Diamond, Mercedes, etc. Reply Reply with quote

Have at it, contemners.

(Is that a word?)
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/27/16 4:48 pm    ::: Re: Time to bash Holly, Diamond, Mercedes, etc. Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Have at it, contemners.

(Is that a word?)

Condemners?

Yes, Tennessee looked awful. They seem to play worse the more the team becomes Holly's team. Would a early season firing be appropriate? The team seems to lack fire AND discipline at the same time.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/27/16 4:49 pm    ::: Re: Time to bash Holly, Diamond, Mercedes, etc. Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Have at it, contemners.

(Is that a word?)

It IS a word: to treat or regard with disdain, scorn, or contempt

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/27/16 8:56 pm    ::: Re: Time to bash Holly, Diamond, Mercedes, etc. Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Have at it, contemners.

(Is that a word?)

It IS a word: to treat or regard with disdain, scorn, or contempt

Gee, that's kind of like how my family would play Boggle a long time ago. "That seems like a word." "I don't think it's a word." "Look it up." "Oh wow! It is a word!" Very Happy

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/27/16 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

probably not unexpected given that two point guards
Off last seasons Elite team were lost for the season.

But jeez, her pressers are depressing

Durantula

PostPosted: 11/27/16 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if their great run in the NCAA tournament completely changed their outlook going into the offseason? Instead of doing a deep dive into figuring out why they struggled so much in the regular season, instead the mentality may have been that we have now fixed everything by going to the Elite 8 and maybe things don't need to change. We are improved, next year we will just build on the Elite 8 run.

The problem is the regular season is more telling than the postseason. Tennessee was bad in the regular season but maybe the program could just forget about it because they found success in the postseason?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/27/16 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holly seems like a nice person. Nice people are not always the best coaches. Not to say they can't be good coaches...but...
And I think she has put a lot of self pressure into trying to perform up to a standard set by her mentor. And it's not happening.
Who really knows what is rotten in Knoxville? Somehow it just seems really really hard to get everyone on the same page. Maybe a total house cleaning would help revive things. It's not like they don't have athletes.

- Amanda Gorman
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/28/16 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, DDS almost got a triple double Laughing

~rAf
blackrain

PostPosted: 11/28/16 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's baffling why the lady vols can't play well against a zone defense. They've seen it for the past three years. Holly is not good at in game adjustments either. She looks more confused than her players when they see zone. This team with all of it's all americans is underachieving IMO. I think they are in for a really long year. Reasons being is because the staff or the players act as if they don't know how to execute against a zone defense. They are not good on the defensive end at all IMO. They are having a hard time scoring. That's a mix for disaster if they can't get it straight in knoxville.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/28/16 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think they'll ever fire HW. She's there until she decides to retire unfortunately.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/28/16 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
I don't think they'll ever fire HW. She's there until she decides to retire unfortunately.

and I pray that never happens.

However, the LVs' slide began before HW was given the reins under those unfortunate conditions.

'08- Last LVs FF (and NC).

'09, '10, '11, '12 under Pat.

'13, '14, '15, '16 under HW.

The program needs to jump from the Summitt tree and clean house, imo.

PostPosted: 11/28/16 8:31 am    ::: Re: Time to bash Holly, Diamond, Mercedes, etc. Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Have at it, contemners.

(Is that a word?)

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel
As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel
Since God is marching on

PostPosted: 11/28/16 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

and I pray that never happens.

However, the LVs' slide began before HW was given the reins under those unfortunate conditions.

'08- Last LVs FF (and NC).

'09, '10, '11, '12 under Pat.

'13, '14, '15, '16 under HW.

The program needs to jump from the Summitt tree and clean house, imo.

I'm just surprised that they are still recruiting as well as they are. I mean, either those kids are really enamoured by the Lady Vol's name and history or Warlick is feeling them lies and is telling them that they are what this program needs to restore it to greatness. If I were a young female player in high school deciding which school to choose, and watching how the LV's have been playing the last 4 years under Warlick (they have continued to look like train wrecks out there and have no offensive or defensive presence at all which leads 100% to bad coaching) I would never verbal to Tennessee even if I grew up admiring the program more than any other. I'd pick a program that looks like they know what they're doing.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/28/16 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
I'm just surprised that they are still recruiting as well as they are. I mean, either those kids are really enamoured by the Lady Vol's name and history or Warlick is feeling them lies and is telling them that they are what this program needs to restore it to greatness. If I were a young female player in high school deciding which school to choose, and watching how the LV's have been playing the last 4 years under Warlick (they have continued to look like train wrecks out there and have no offensive or defensive presence at all which leads 100% to bad coaching) I would never verbal to Tennessee even if I grew up admiring the program more than any other. I'd pick a program that looks like they know what they're doing.

Like get to the Elite Eight three times in her four seasons as head coach?

Say all you want about her offensive and defensive schemes, but over 98 percent of programs would take three Elite Eight appearances in the last four years.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/28/16 10:04 am    ::: Re: Time to bash Holly, Diamond, Mercedes, etc. Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Have at it, contemners.

(Is that a word?)

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel
As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel
Since God is marching on

Good find.

I couldn't call all y'all the "h" word because this site's cybernetic censor transforms the word "h*ter" into "person with an opinion different from mine". This censor is more incompetent with vocabulary, etymology and lexicography than Holly Warlick allegedly is with the quadrangle offense. I mean, if I am one who hates broccoli, that doesn't mean I have a different opinion than broccoli does.

Political correctness is one thing. Incorrect political correctness needs a corrective, and is contemnible.

Oh . . . Holly is probably safe because she is the MIRCOY (Most Improved Recruiting Coach of the Year).
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/28/16 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Like get to the Elite Eight three times in her four seasons as head coach?

Say all you want about her offensive and defensive schemes, but over 98 percent of programs would take three Elite Eight appearances in the last four years.

It's a happy day for me when LV success is defined as 3 E8s in 4 years. Smile

PostPosted: 11/28/16 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I've made this point before but the post by cthskzfn reminded me.

It has been eight years since the last national championship.

Four of those years were under Pat, four of those years were under Holly.

In the NCAA tournament Pat's four teams ended their season in the:
First-round
Sweet 16
Elite Eight
Elite Eight

In the NCAA tournament Holly's four teams ended their season in the:

Elite Eight
Elite Eight
Sweet 16
Elite Eight

In Pat's last four years, the teams won 9 games in the NCAA's
In Holly's first four years, the teams won 11 games in the NCAA's

We now know that the Pat of her last four years as a coach probably wasn't the Pat we all revered, but were there are even hints that she wasn't getting the job done? Holly's performance in postseason has exceeded Pats over the same period of time. I do get that regular-season results matter but we are talking about a minor difference in reaction, we have people openly calling for her dismissal.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/28/16 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holly has a new recruiter, Sharonna Reaves, who is also an assistant. I think it's probably time she fired Dean Lockwood, who's getting stale, but I don't think she has the heart to. He's been there for-freaking-ever. But Sharonna has brought some new oomph to the place.

And I don't think y'all need to land on her too hard about yesterday's loss. I TOLD you about Kenny Brooks. Y'all did not listen. He is one of the best player developers I have seen in action, also, I think, one of the better recruiters.

PostPosted: 11/28/16 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

And I don't think y'all need to land on her too hard about yesterday's loss. I TOLD you about Kenny Brooks. Y'all did not listen. He is one of the best player developers I have seen in action, also, I think, one of the better recruiters.

As I asked elsewhere, before you excuse Holly and give all the credit to Brooks, maybe you need to explain why Holly also lost to a Dennis Wolff-recruited and developed and coached VaTech team in Knoxville last year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/28/16 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

As I asked elsewhere, before you excuse Holly and give all the credit to Brooks, maybe you need to explain why Holly also lost to a Dennis Wolff-recruited and developed and coached VaTech team in Knoxville last year.

Because, as I said elsewhere, it was f*cking NOVEMBER, that's why. They always seem to play badly in November. They make up for it later. Now knock off, Artie.

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Because, as I said elsewhere, it was f*cking NOVEMBER, that's why. They always seem to play badly in November. They make up for it later. Now knock off, Artie.

There is a pattern of regression.

In 2014 Tenn went 8-0 in Nov, didn't lose till Dec 21, and finished 30-6 for the season, where 5 of the 6 losses were to teams raked #6, #6, #2 #3, & (1 seed).

In 2015 they went:
Nov 4-2
Dec 6-0
Jan 8-1
Feb/Mar 7-1

In 2016 they went:
Nov 5-1
Dec 4-2
Jan 4-5
Feb 4-4

Nov was the LV's best month last year.

So the idea that they "always seem to play badly in November" doesn't hold up to the record.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry but it's not all Holly, just look at their team and the bevy full of excuses they have on their roster Laughing

Hey if elite eight is good for Duke, then just think how many more years she has.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO the reason they appear to look so bad in November is that the expectations from June through October are overly optimistic.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/28/16 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

You can't have it both ways. Is it that this was all about Brooks' coaching brilliance (which of course leaves Tenn's loss at home to his fired predecessor hanging out there unexplained like a sore thumb) or is it all about Tenn's supposed "annual slow start" and shows nothing about Brooks. (And of course the "slow start" excuse runs squarely into the last week of the season losses to LSU and Bama. Sorry about those facts getting in the way of a nice story.)

I bet even you can see the manifest contradiction in your alternate "slow start/Brooks' brilliance" excuses in light of Wolff having done the same thing on the road.

Or, more likely, it's actually door number 3, it's just more of the same from Warlick's Tenn teams.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 11/28/16 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll let them explain it.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xd1e2Gx7k2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: