RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn #1 in first USA Today/Coaches' Poll
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/27/16 11:29 am    ::: UConn #1 in first USA Today/Coaches' Poll Reply Reply with quote

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-women/polls/coaches-poll/2016/1/

RANK TEAM RECORD POINTS 1st Place Votes Prev CHANGE Hi/Low
1 Connecticut 38-0 755 18 1 0 1/1
2 Notre Dame 33-2 739 8 6 4 2/2
3 South Carolina 33-2 712 3 5 2 3/3
4 Baylor 36-2 709 2 4 0 4/4
5 Maryland 31-4 603 0 9 4 5/5
6 Texas 31-5 594 1 7 1 6/6
6 Ohio St. 26-8 594 0 10 4 6/6
8 Louisville 26-8 586 0 14 6 8/8
9 UCLA 26-9 481 0 13 4 9/9
10 Stanford 27-8 467 0 11 1 10/10
11 Mississippi St. 28-8 446 0 18 7 11/11
12 Florida St. 25-8 431 0 12 0 12/12
13 Syracuse 30-8 394 0 3 -10 13/13
14 Tennessee 22-14 360 0 19 5 14/14
15 Washington 26-11 352 0 8 -7 15/15
16 Arizona State 26-7 321 0 16 0 16/16
17 Oregon St. 32-5 255 0 2 -15 17/17
18 Oklahoma 22-11 235 0 23 5 18/18
19 Kentucky 25-8 227 0 15 -4 19/19
20 Miami-Florida 24-9 179 0 24 4 20/20
21 DePaul 27-9 173 0 17 -4 21/21
22 Michigan St 25-9 167 0 21 -1 22/22
23 Texas A&M 22-10 123 0 20 -3 23/23
24 Florida 22-9 101 0 31 7 24/24
25 West Virginia 25-10 76 0 25 0 25/25
*Hi/Low Rankings

Hi/Low = The highest and lowest ranking each team has held during the designated season. Any team that starts the season unranked and/or falls out of the top 25 during the season will reflect a "NR" (not ranked) designation as its lowest rank.
Others Receiving Votes

South Florida 65; Indiana 51; South Dakota State 38; Missouri 17; Colorado State 17; Duke 16; Auburn 14; Creighton 10; Michigan 10; Western Kentucky 10; St. John?s 9; Wisconsin-Green Bay 7; Northwestern 7; Oklahoma State 7; Pennsylvania 6; North Carolina State 5; Georgia 5; California 4; Temple 4; Brigham Young 3; Iowa 3; Oregon 2; Gonzaga 2; George Washington 2; Duquesne 2; Drake 1; Georgia Tech 1; Troy 1; Tulane 1.

The USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 32 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the Women's Basketball Coaches Association. The board for the 2016-17 season: Zenarae Antoine, Texas State; Mary Burke, Bryant; Cara Consuegra, Charlotte; Jamie Craighead, San Jose State; Kristy Curry, Alabama; Bradley Davis, Pacific; Denise Dillon, Drexel; Brittney Ezell, East Tennessee State; Jose Fernandez, South Florida; Jason Flowers, Cal State Northridge; Darrick Gibbs, North Florida; LeDawn Gibson, Florida A&M; Kellie Harper, Missouri State; DeUnna Hendrix, High Point; Quentin Hillsman, Syracuse; Ali Jaques, Siena; Carolyn Kieger, Marquette; Jim Littell, Oklahoma State; Greg McCall, Cal State Bakersfield; David Midlick, Austin Peay; Regina Miller, Illinois-Chicago; Mike Neighbors, Washington; Brenda Nichols, Sam Houston State; Courtney Pruitt, Alcorn State; Aaron Roussell, Bucknell; Brady Sallee, Ball State; Wendy Schuller, Eastern Washington; Michael Shafer, Richmond; Dayna Smith, Cornell; Phil Stern, Maryland-Baltimore County; Maren Walseth, North Dakota State; Coquese Washington, Penn State.

Last edited by dtsnms on 10/27/16 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/27/16 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess, the motto is "when in doubt vote for Connecticut"

- Amanda Gorman
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/27/16 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Or until they lose, they're still number one.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/27/16 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I've never understood that attitude in college sports. Graduation is one of the factors that makes college sports particularly interesting. Teams change regularly. This isn't like Tom Brady quarterbacking the Patriots for sixteen years and counting. I don't understand the notion that you can ignore that constant turnover. You particularly can't just ignore the departure of a transcendant player like a Griner or Stewart.

So what if Nurse, Collier and Samuelson had all graduated or transferred too? How would that "well, they're #1 until they lose" thing work? Heck, they'd be lucky to be in the top 25 then if voters were actually paying attention.

It's just laziness from voters who can't be bothered to actually think about it. Same attitude that keeps Ky ranked despite the losses and turmoil. It's voting based on name and history rather than on actual analysis of 2016-17 prospects. This ranking looks like it was prepared by Captain Renault; "Round up the usual suspects."

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/27/16 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although I wouldn't count the cute lil guy out, I also wouldn't start the year with OrSU in the top 25 after losing 4 starters.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/27/16 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i didn't know the boneyard owned USA Today. Wink

PostPosted: 10/27/16 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do people have against Jackrabbit nation?

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/27/16 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand Duke receiving votes after losing Stevens and Salvadores. Whoever voted for Troy should be replaced by a rebkellian, and put in the stocks.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/27/16 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
I don't understand Duke receiving votes after losing Stevens and Salvadores. Whoever voted for Troy should be replaced by a rebkellian, and put in the stocks.

Replacing Salvadores with Lexie Brown is an upgrade.

Many of Duke's losses were without Stevens, plus other players for injuries (and Cooper, for academics).

But Cooper is back. Starting lineup of Lambert, Greenwell, Brown, Cooper, and Chidom is really good. Bench has MCDAA Odom plus the top 30/top 40 players from 2015 back (Primm, Gorecki, Lambert). Still plenty of talent on paper.

Operative phrase - "on paper"

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/27/16 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand Duke receiving votes after losing Stevens and Salvadores .

Well, they're surrounded by Colorado St and Auburn. If Duke played those two schools, where would your money be? I'd be picking Duke.

It's not like they have them at 15 or anything.

As an aside, I am thoroughly underwhelmed by the addition of Lexie Brown. Remains to be seen whether that's a net plus or minus.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 10/27/16 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/27/16 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I've never understood that attitude in college sports. Graduation is one of the factors that makes college sports particularly interesting. Teams change regularly. This isn't like Tom Brady quarterbacking the Patriots for sixteen years and counting. I don't understand the notion that you can ignore that constant turnover. You particularly can't just ignore the departure of a transcendant player like a Griner or Stewart.

So what if Nurse, Collier and Samuelson had all graduated or transferred too? How would that "well, they're #1 until they lose" thing work? Heck, they'd be lucky to be in the top 25 then if voters were actually paying attention.

It's just laziness from voters who can't be bothered to actually think about it. Same attitude that keeps Ky ranked despite the losses and turmoil. It's voting based on name and history rather than on actual analysis of 2016-17 prospects. This ranking looks like it was prepared by Captain Renault; "Round up the usual suspects."

While I do agree with you that it is the usual suspects and not particularly imaginative, I do understand the logic of they ended the season number one, they are still a final four candidate, keep them at number one until the games start, with that schedule we'll find out soon enough.

That said, I can see both sides of the argument for this type of poll, which is a snapshot today, and I wouldn't be upset with UConn being four or five either.

If you're the magazines and looking longview, then you have to look at the end of the year and I'd see a lot more reasons not to have UConn at top as I don't see them winning the title.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/27/16 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder where all the "they stay #1 until someone beats them" folks were when they started voting in October 2011.

And should Syracuse be ranked #2 this year?

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 10/27/16 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 10/27/16 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
myrtle wrote:

They lost Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson. Those are some big losses.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
elsie

PostPosted: 10/27/16 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes, lazy voters....not disputing the top teams picked, but mid to lower range and those receiving some votes....the voters don't seem to have a clue....

Durantula

PostPosted: 10/27/16 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I respect your opinion on Duke because you are very informed on the Blue Devils, but I wish we had more to go off because we can only compare apples to oranges in this situation. It's a really good player comparison that we unfortunately won't get to see since Angela is now playing overseas.

Salvadores has been so impressive at the FIBA level for Spain, and I really thought she would be great in college. Maybe she had some fatigue from all the FIBA games before she got to Duke, the language barrier and overall just a stagnant offense, but if you hypothetically traded Salvadores and Brown maybe Angela would have better stats on a Maryland team that scores a lot of points, and has a lot of efficient players who can pad her assist numbers, like Walker-Kimbrough and Jones. On the other hand, if you put Brown on Duke, isn't there a chance she would not have been as good, given that Duke's offense can be sort of stagnant? I think part of Brown's success can be attributed to the players around her, like an Alyssa Thomas that she played with one season, that this current Duke team doesn't really have.

I remember hearing Salvadores was just as good, if not better, than Leticia Romero. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but I feel like we didn't get to see the best of Angela in her one year in the states. Lexie Brown's replacement at Maryland put up some pretty good numbers and she was not a big name player, so that makes me think Brown maybe was not as integral to their team as it maybe looked on paper?

Durantula

PostPosted: 10/27/16 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
yes, lazy voters....not disputing the top teams picked, but mid to lower range and those receiving some votes....the voters don't seem to have a clue....

I don't know how much research the voting coaches do in the offseason but injuries always occur and I wonder if they are all aware of them. For instance, DePaul has lot a starter for the season due to injury, and West Virginia has three players out for the season. If they knew that and voted those teams at their positions then great, but what if they didn't know? Would their vote change after they found out?

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 10/27/16 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should be a fair amount of movement in the poll this year- even near the top, which is refreshing. I agree South Dakota State is worthy of preseason ranking. They really should've gone a round further in NCAAs last year, but fell apart in a disastrous last 2 minutes or so. Also, expect Northwestern to be in the Top 25 if they play to their potential.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/27/16 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
Should be a fair amount of movement in the poll this year- even near the top, which is refreshing. I agree South Dakota State is worthy of preseason ranking. They really should've gone a round further in NCAAs last year, but fell apart in a disastrous last 2 minutes or so. Also, expect Northwestern to be in the Top 25 if they play to their potential.

Northwestern was 18-17 overall, and 4-14 in the B10 last year. What would lead you to believe that basically the same team will be top 25 this year? NW's problem is that they have a couple of good players, but other teams have a couple players just as good as Coffey and Deary, and have better supporting casts. NW just doesn't have enough quality players to consistently win.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/27/16 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="CamrnCrz1974"]

Many of Duke's losses were without Stevens, plus other players for injuries (and Cooper, for academics).

But Cooper is back. Starting lineup of Lambert, Greenwell, Brown, Cooper, and Chidom is really good. Bench has MCDAA Odom plus the top 30/top 40 players from 2015 back (Primm, Gorecki, Lambert). Still plenty of talent on paper.

Operative phrase - "on paper"[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^ Most important part of this post.

By the way - season tickets are at the throwback low price of $50. Getting closer and closer to actually pay people to attend games.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 10/27/16 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn has more than earned the benefit of the doubt. I have no problem with them being #1 in the preseason.

PostPosted: 10/27/16 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outside of a "hey, that's nice!" if you're high in the rankings, they aren't really that important (It isn't like in Div 1A Football, where rankings determine who plays in the playoff). The only ranking I'm really concerned about is the seed ND gets in the NCAA Tournament. It might be a little fun to see how teams viewed, and it might give a little bit of indication of decent teams in the 10-25 range that we might not be familiar with (we already know the top 10 are good teams, generally). However, beyond that, it's just fodder for online discussions.

This is especially true of preseason rankings. It won't be until around January that the polls might be indicative of how the teams stack up.

As for the "keep them there until they lose" I really don't mind that argument if the program has been consistently strong (I've even used it in the past). It's not like they won't be playing teams early on who could beat them if they don't deserve the ranking.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/27/16 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
UConn has more than earned the benefit of the doubt. I have no problem with them being #1 in the preseason.

So players don't matter. Only the name of the school matters. I understand now. Rolling Eyes

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/27/16 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of rankings/seedings, wouldn't it be interesting in UConn is the #3 or #4 one seed....thereby sending them to someplace other than Bridgeport? But I guess the committee would somehow make an exception...

- Amanda Gorman
PRballer

PostPosted: 10/27/16 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some thoughts:

-Notre Dame and Connecticut might be the best two teams in the country, thanks to coaching and recruiting. Huskies might be SCARY good by February when they gel and this could be Geno's best coaching season on a long time. Or it's more like the 2004-2007 teams? Defense will be key.

-Questions marks for Baylor, Maryland and South Carolina at the point guard spot. Who is ready?

-Questions on chemistry for infusing transfers at South Carolina and Ohio State - lots of new top flight talent and how will it mesh with returners?

-Pac 12 looks really strong again, and Oregon State will be better than you think. UCLA, Stanford, Arizona State, Washington, Oregon State all look strong. Will be interesting to see how a young Cal team rebounds after last year with the limited guard play and youth.

-Where is Duke? Days are different in Durham and it's sad.

-Interesting to see how Kentucky and Tennessee do this year?

-Texas A&M lost three key players in Jordan Jones at the point and the Walkers. And they didn't live up to their potential with those seniors. HOW DO YOU RANK THEM?

-Mississippi State and Louisville could be scary good. Lots of young sophomore, junior talent.

-Will Indiana step up in the Big Ten and challenge the top of the conference? Major upswing happening in Bloomington.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/28/16 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, ya gotta start somewhere, eh?

I'm not convinced ALL of the voters were the most informed voters possible, but hey....it's a start.

Re: UConn? I always thought it was a general courtesy that the reigning champs were the token #1. For the rest, I'm glad KY isn't as high as some other prognosticators have put them recently. And MD seems a bit high, no? But, it all helps set the anticipatory excitement! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: