RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/25/16 2:18 pm    ::: 2017 Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List Reply Reply with quote

2017 Watch List

http://www.pointguard.org/watch_list.html

Lindsay Allen - Notre Dame

Lexie Brown - Duke

Loren Cagle - Lipscomb

Jordin Canada - UCLA

Meghan Creighton - Drexel

Ashley Deary - Northwestern

Makayla Epps - Kentucky

Katelynn Flaherty - Michigan

Caitlin Ingle - Drake

Jessica January - DePaul

Alexis Jones - Baylor

Jackie Kemph - St. Louis

Jessica Kovatch - St. Francis PA <-- only sophomore on list

Kelsey Mitchell - Ohio State

Adrienne Motley - Miami FL

Kia Nurse - Connecticut

Brooke McCarty - Texas

Alexis Peterson - Syracyse

Kelsey Plum - Washington

Sydney Wiese - Oregon State

History
2016 Jefferson
2015 Jefferson
2014 Sims
2013 Diggins
2012 Diggins
2011 Vandersloot
2010 A Riley
2009 R Montgomery
2008 Toliver
2007 Harding
2006 Latta
2005 T Johnson
2004 Taurasi
2003 Taurasi
2002 Bird
2001 Bird
2000 Bird

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 10/25/16 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/25/16 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This award and list raises the esoteric question of what the heck is a "point guard" -- terminologically, substantively and Platonically.

First, it should be noted that the noun "guard" clearly denotes a defensive responsibility and not an offensive responsibility. Indeed, in the days of three court basketball, the two guards were restricted to the defensive court. In my high school days, a point guard was the player who played at the top of a 1-2-2 zone. This was usually a short and quick player.

But terms and meanings change, and "point guard" seems to have shed all defensive denotation and even connotation, and now seems to denote something offensive.

What exactly does it denote? A player's intrinsic skill set? A position on the floor? A name or number on a play diagram?

I leave it to Generation Y to answer these cabalistic questions, but in the meantime I question whether some of the better known names on the Lieberman list are best described as point guards.

If Kelsey Mitchell stays on the list and Ohio State plays upper crusty, she should be the favorite. Jordin Canada deserves serious scrutiny. I'll personally root for Loren Cagle of Lipscomb because I like a euphonious underdog.

And I'd like to make a point of offering a guarded if belated huzzah to Andrea Riley and Courtney Vandersloot, who won the Lieberman Award without being on a power team from a Power Five conference.
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/25/16 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glenn, do you just enjoy using large vocabulary words or something? This is a women's basketball forum, not your college thesis. No one is impressed, we just have to get a dictionary out to decipher your post. So you can start using common English like the rest of us since you're not impressing anybody.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This award is pretty much a joke every year. I didn't have a problem with Jefferson winning but some of the players on the watch list and end up being finalists are not even point guards. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I think to be in consideration for a point guard award you should at least lead your OWN TEAM in assists. Something Kelsey Mitchell, Motley, Epps, Flaherty (off the top of my head) didn't do last year. Many of these are 2 guards, or combo guards at best.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Glenn, do you just enjoy using large vocabulary words or something?

Yes. I spent time learning them and intend to use them . . . if they are condign.
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/25/16 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Yes. I spent time learning them and intend to use them . . . if they are condign.

lol. some of us have no problems with your posts. And I must say I love your peace wagon avatar!

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/25/16 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kovatch with her negative A/TO number is an 'interesting' choice.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/25/16 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle, while peace wagon would do, that is the Magic Bus, which is not only my actual vehicle but also the name of my two YouTube channels and part time vocation.

Jet Jaguar, in fairness, I don't always use unfamiliar words. Sometimes, however, I do even worse: I make up my own words ("neologisms") and try to sneak in puns and other word play. I can assure you that in my eighth decade, I'm not looking to impress anyone on an obscure, low traffic internet board. I write on various boards simply as an avocation.

Although I consider avid dictionary look-ups to be a very valuable exercise for myself unto this very day, I can also assure anyone who is unfamiliar with my 17 year career on WBB boards that they can ignore all the big words in my posts, and most of the small ones, without affecting the worthlessness of my content one bit.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/25/16 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Kovatch with her negative A/TO number is an 'interesting' choice.

While she scored 21 points/game (41% FG, 36% 3FG), she had only 46 assists all season against 102 turnovers. Definitely not my idea as a PG either. She was fourth on her own team on assists, and the only teammate who had more turnovers than her (126) also had many more assists (110).

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/26/16 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While it's nice to see her get some recognition, Katelynn Flaherty is definitely not a point guard...especially with 84 assists to 104 turnovers. As a comparison, Michigan's real point guard, Siera Thompson, had 178 to 82.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/26/16 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well obviously the award has recognized combo guards for a long time. Taurasi? Sims in 2014? Niya Johnson was the true PG on that team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster

PostPosted: 10/26/16 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Well obviously the award has recognized combo guards for a long time. Taurasi? Sims in 2014? Niya Johnson was the true PG on that team.

Taurasi led her team in assists in both 2003 & 2004 with 163 and 170 and had a positive a/t ratio in both years despite being listed as a G/F on the roster.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/26/16 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Indeed you should. Raise the bar, I say, NOT lower it. So, jet....you're mistaken: at the minimum, Myrtle and I am impressed---or at least favor the employment of sophisticated verbiage. Cool

Glenn....Andrea Riley DID play in a P5 conference. OK-State.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: