RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

American Conference pre-season honors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/24/16 11:42 am    ::: American Conference pre-season honors Reply Reply with quote

Big 12 eat your heart out! Check out this group!

Preseason Coaches’ Poll

(First-place votes in parenthesis)

Team Points

1. UConn (10)* 100

2. Temple 87

3. USF (1) 86

4. Tulane 73

5. SMU 50

6. East Carolina 49

7. Memphis 47

8. UCF 41

9. Tulsa 33

10. Cincinnati 23

11. Houston 16

[*] denotes unanimous selection

Preseason Player of the Year

Kia Nurse, Jr., G, UConn

Preseason All-Conference First Team

Katie Lou Samuelson, So., G/F, UConn

Kia Nurse, Jr., G, UConn

Kitija Laska, So., F, USF

Alliya Butts, Jr., G, Temple*

Feyonda Fitzgerald, Sr., G, Temple

Kolby Morgan, Jr., G, Tulane

Preseason All-Conference Second Team

Zykira Lewis, Sr., G, UCF

Napheesa Collier, So., F, UConn

Gabby Williams, Jr., G, UConn

Alicia Froling, Jr., F, SMU

Leslie Vorpahl, Sr., G, Tulane

Yes that is as many first team selections for Temple as UConn, and the only unanimous choice is from Temple.

Well, the times, they are a-changing.....just not very quickly.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/24/16 12:18 pm    ::: Re: American Conference pre-season honors Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Preseason Coaches’ Poll

Team Points

1. UConn (10)* 100

2. Temple 87

3. USF (1) 86

4. Tulane 73

5. SMU 50

6. East Carolina 49

7. Memphis 47

8. UCF 41

9. Tulsa 33

10. Cincinnati 23

11. Houston 16

Preseason Player of the Year

Kia Nurse, Jr., G, UConn

Preseason All-Conference First Team

Katie Lou Samuelson, So., G/F, UConn

Kia Nurse, Jr., G, UConn

Kitija Laska, So., F, USF

Alliya Butts, Jr., G, Temple*

Feyonda Fitzgerald, Sr., G, Temple

Kolby Morgan, Jr., G, Tulane

Preseason All-Conference Second Team

Zykira Lewis, Sr., G, UCF

Napheesa Collier, So., F, UConn

Gabby Williams, Jr., G, UConn

Alicia Froling, Jr., F, SMU

Leslie Vorpahl, Sr., G, Tulane

Yes that is as many first team selections for Temple as UConn, and the only unanimous choice is from Temple.

Well, the times, they are a-changing.....just not very quickly.

I think Temple has a pretty good chance of being a good team. They have really good guards. Not top 20, but definitely an 8/9 seed in the NCAA tournament.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/16 12:34 pm    ::: Re: American Conference pre-season honors Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

g1 David Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/24/16 1:08 pm    ::: Re: American Conference pre-season honors Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

I think Temple has a pretty good chance of being a good team. They have really good guards. Not top 20, but definitely an 8/9 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Come on.

Temple would be a nice mid major AAC team IF UConn wasn't in the AAC. But they were a 23-12, RPI 55, NIT team last year, and they're basically the same team this year. And I expect them to be NiT bound again ( unless the committee decides that UConn's conference has to get a second bid come hell or high water).

Tell me who on the entire UConn roster Butts is better than or would play in front of? I think the answer is " no one". This is just the "we can't name the UConn starters the first team and the bench the second team; we need to spread it around" attitude.

USF had some players deserving of conference honors for a couple of years. I don't see any this year.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/24/16 1:26 pm    ::: Re: American Conference pre-season honors Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Come on.

Temple would be a nice mid major AAC team IF UConn wasn't in the AAC. But they were a 23-12, RPI 55, NIT team last year, and they're basically the same team this year. And I expect them to be NiT bound again ( unless the committee decides that UConn's conference has to get a second bid come hell or high water).

Tell me who on the entire UConn roster Butts is better than or would play in front of? I think the answer is " no one". This is just the "we can't name the UConn starters the first team and the bench the second team; we need to spread it around" attitude.

USF had some players deserving of conference honors for a couple of years. I don't see any this year.

Well, that was a fairly snobby answer. He said not top 20. He said maybe an 8 or 9 seed. He never claimed they were a final four candidate or anything.

You don't have to poop on the conference at every turn. They are doing the best they can. It is what it is.

I see three schools making an effort to get better: Temple, USF and Tulane. It won't happen overnight.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/24/16 1:58 pm    ::: Re: American Conference pre-season honors Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Come on.

Well, that was a fairly snobby answer. He said not top 20. He said maybe an 8 or 9 seed. He never claimed they were a final four candidate or anything.

You don't have to poop on the conference at every turn. They are doing the best they can. It is what it is.

I see three schools making an effort to get better: Temple, USF and Tulane. It won't happen overnight.

It wasn't "snobby" at all. It was a response to what I viewed as blowing smoke.

He said DEFINITELY 8 or 9 seed. That's top 36 at worst. That looks Iike a fantasy to me.

And how are these three "making an effort to get better"? USF - the conference's showpiece second place team the past couple years - has plainly gotten worse.

You don't have to pump up the conference at every turn. Just be honest about it. What did I write that wasn't correct?

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 10/24/16 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/24/16 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll fry an egg if Kia Nurse is the AAC POY.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/24/16 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that Gabby William is being underestimated as she can be the POY for the AAC. Prior to her injury in 2014, ASGR had her ranked the #2 recruit, Blue Star had her at 7. Prospect Nation after the injury dropped her understandably to 15th. She has shown significant improvement each year since and I expect her to improve on her trajectory, shown she has overcome her ACL injury. She is the best athlete on the team by far and stepping out from behind the big three from a year ago might prove to be the best basketball player on the court for UCONN this year. She, I believe, will be the most improved.

PostPosted: 10/24/16 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
I think that Gabby William is being underestimated as she can be the POY for the AAC. Prior to her injury in 2014, ASGR had her ranked the #2 recruit, Blue Star had her at 7. Prospect Nation after the injury dropped her understandably to 15th. She has shown significant improvement each year since and I expect her to improve on her trajectory, shown she has overcome her ACL injury. She is the best athlete on the team by far and stepping out from behind the big three from a year ago might prove to be the best basketball player on the court for UCONN this year. She, I believe, will be the most improved.

I do find interesting the theory that seems popular in some quarters that Williams, after two years of making exactly zero three point shots, is suddenly this year about to be transformed into the next coming of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis from behind the arc.

If that's true that will be a very big deal for UConn's prospects.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/24/16 5:36 pm    ::: Re: American Conference pre-season honors Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Team Points

1. UConn (10)* 100

2. Temple 87

3. USF (1) 86

Just noticed: How can UConn get an asterisk if USF got a parenthesis?
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/24/16 6:24 pm    ::: Re: American Conference pre-season honors Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Team Points

1. UConn (10)* 100

2. Temple 87

3. USF (1) 86

Just noticed: How can UConn get an asterisk if USF got a parenthesis?

Geno can't vote for himself.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/24/16 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

I do find interesting the theory that seems popular in some quarters that Williams, after two years of making exactly zero three point shots, is suddenly this year about to be transformed into the next coming of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis from behind the arc.

While I agree that it's crazy to project Williams as a premier 3 pt shooter I fail to see why you quoted the previous poster who made no such comment. For all the time I have been reading the boards this year I have yet to see even the most wildly UConn fans make the comparison you claim was made. I'd love a link to the Williams-KML comparison you say others are claiming. Once again Art you exceed yourself in using a straw dog to win an argument with no one.

I love watching Williams play at both ends of the court. She is blessed with much more than her share of quick-twitch muscles. While most people attribute her rebounding to her astounding leaping ability, it's her quickness to the ball that makes her so good. Her offensive rebounding is unconscious. She gets her hands on the ball, comes down and goes back up for a shot before many of her opponents have started to jump for the rebound. And that quickness pays off bigtime on defense, where her quick hands deflect passes no one else could get to.

BTW, At First Night she attempted two 3's and made them both, so anyone thinking that she can't even hit the rim is grossly mistaken.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/24/16 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

While I agree that it's crazy to project Williams as a premier 3 pt shooter I fail to see why you quoted the previous poster who made no such comment. For all the time I have been reading the boards this year I have yet to see even the most wildly UConn fans make the comparison you claim was made. I'd love a link to the Williams-KML comparison you say others are claiming. Once again Art you exceed yourself in using a straw dog to win an argument with no one. .

Seriously. What the F is your problem. You need to keep track of what board you're posting on. This is Rebkell, not that Tribble board you frequent. Obviously you lost track.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/16 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

BTW, At First Night she attempted two 3's and made them both, so anyone thinking that she can't even hit the rim is grossly mistaken.

tell us a bit about First Night. Who played where and who stood out to you?

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/16 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I'll fry an egg if Kia Nurse is the AAC POY.

I wasn't thinking about frying an egg, but do admit it would be pretty surprising if she's the best player on her team. And if she's the best player on her team, UConn has really taken a header down into the pack of wolves who have barking at their feet.

Am really impressed with the UConn schedule. Geno has not gone light just because his team may be slightly less impressive than usual. I haven't seen SOS ratings, but this looks like by far the toughest preseason. Of course they need that because of the AAC, still....

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/rIt2IZTO6yI

linkster

PostPosted: 10/24/16 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

While I agree that it's crazy to project Williams as a premier 3 pt shooter I fail to see why you quoted the previous poster who made no such comment. For all the time I have been reading the boards this year I have yet to see even the most wildly UConn fans make the comparison you claim was made. I'd love a link to the Williams-KML comparison you say others are claiming. Once again Art you exceed yourself in using a straw dog to win an argument with no one. .

Seriously. What the F is your problem. You need to keep track of what board you're posting on. This is Rebkell, not that Tribble board you frequent. Obviously you lost track.

No Art, it's you who loses track. Where did you read or hear anyone suggesting that Williams is in any way comparable to KML? You made the derisive comment. I am simply asking you to back it up or admit it was just you inventing facts in your mind in order to win an argument.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/24/16 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since we're having a snide comment match, I'll ask something of substance. How do people think that the reigning Freshman of the Year will do this year? Kitija Laska of South Florida showed flashes of some good stuff last year--but the departure of Williams and Jenkins is probably hard. I really do think that there is a good core of Ferriera, Laska, and Jepersen here, it's just a matter of how those pieces fit together for them moving forward. Laksa can get hot at the right time, as SMU learned last season when Laska set the American record for most points by a Freshman with 38. She definitely cooled off at the end--but was hampered by an injury if I recall right.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/24/16 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Since we're having a snide comment match, I'll ask something of substance. How do people think that the reigning Freshman of the Year will do this year? Kitija Laska of South Florida showed flashes of some good stuff last year--but the departure of Williams and Jenkins is probably hard. I really do think that there is a good core of Ferriera, Laska, and Jepersen here, it's just a matter of how those pieces fit together for them moving forward. Laksa can get hot at the right time, as SMU learned last season when Laska set the American record for most points by a Freshman with 38. She definitely cooled off at the end--but was hampered by an injury if I recall right.

There's no snide comment match. It's just one person acting out their usual nonsense.

Wasn't there going to be an ignore poster function as part of the board software upgrade?

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/24/16 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

There's no snide comment match. It's just one person acting out their usual nonsense.

Wasn't there going to be an ignore poster function as part of the board software upgrade?

No, that was a feature on WBB Daily Boards that was advertised. I don't think that feature was ever promised here.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/24/16 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:

tell us a bit about First Night. Who played where and who stood out to you?

No one and nothing stood out. No one got hurt.

There was a timed skills shooting contest with teams of a male and a female player and a student from the stands. With team vs team Gabby and Collier had to make the 3 for their teams. Both did on their first shots, with Williams' shot hitting net just before Collier's. Not anything close to a definitive test but watching it made me smile after all the comments about the two players having no outside game.

Dangerfield nailed a couple/few nice shots but it was a 5 minute scrimmage of women v women and no one was taking a charge if you get my meaning.

Other than that it was just observations. Butler looked very lean. Stevens played. Camara is recovering from surgery and was the only player to sit out. Dangerfield played like she belonged. No deer-in-the-headlights looks from that one.

UConn has more unanswered questions this year than any other recent season. I feel there are plenty of answers too. It's going to be fun watch the team evolve.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/24/16 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laksa has a wonderful outside game. The rest of her game isn't at the same level. Fernandez has 14 players and 8 are from outside the US. Four years in sunny Tampa, all expenses paid plus a stipend is quite an enticement for someone from economically depressed Europe. Tough to judge the team with so many unknown players but Fernandez has always put up a good fight. Even back in the old BE USF played UConn tough, despite being out-talented. And with them playing UConn three times a year for a while now, they are on my short list of the teams that might beat UConn.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/25/16 8:50 am    ::: Re: American Conference pre-season honors Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Come on.

Art, you win! I've been on these boards for 20 years....and you're almost impossible to even handle. I would love a UCONN fan to make one post without you having something shitty to say.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/25/16 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why don't you try talking about basketball just for once. Go ahead. Try it.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/25/16 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just like the ND freshmen and the other freshmen you raved about she flamed out as other teams realized she could only do one thing and it had nothing to do with an injury. USF will struggle as they don't have Williams who took up the defense and left others open. Also shows that stats and conference coaches are just that only relevant in their own mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: