RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn vs. Tennessee
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who'd win this season in head-to-head match-up?
UConn, duh
72%
 72%  [ 27 ]
Tennessee!
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 37

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 10/23/16 10:59 am    ::: UConn vs. Tennessee Reply Reply with quote

Who'd win this season?

Will the basketball gods finally align them in the same region. Maybe a #1 vs. #2 seed. Or #2 vs. #3 seed.

Can you believe it's been 10 years since the last meeting.

All these near meetings in the Final Four or Title games but Shoni Schimmel & Co. (2013) and Skylar Diggins & Co. (2011) and Brittney Griner & Co. (2010) blocked those near match-ups from happening.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/23/16 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, I'm part of the group that thinks UConn is going to fall back into the pack this year, but not THAT far back. Let's not overdo it. I'm thinking more like into the Baylor, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Louisville pack.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/23/16 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we have an option for "Jesus Christ, let it go already"?

PostPosted: 10/23/16 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I'm with you, Queenie. There are some folks who just won't get over it, however. They can't accept that everything is cyclical and that there could possibly be a down year or three in the cycle, can't let go of perceived hurts, rumors, and "he said, she said" stories. Jeez, people. It's a game. Sure we love our teams, but come on, already! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/23/16 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

X____

- Amanda Gorman
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 10/23/16 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oooooh but guys it's UConn and Tennessee!!!! Ahhhh, c'mon now that would be A M A Z I N G L Y Wink fun to sit back and watch.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/23/16 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Phil

PostPosted: 10/24/16 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Agreed.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/24/16 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I fifth that emotion.

PostPosted: 10/24/16 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Where is that "like" button when you need it?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/24/16 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let go what?

I think this is a reasonable WCBB question for the upcoming season. I voted for UConn because I see less uncertainty in the skills and health of their players and because, in my opinion, they have better offensive and defensive coaching.

I'm sure a lot of WCBB fans would like to see a resumption of the UConn-UTenn rivalry, and I'm sure a lot of UConn fans would like to see even more meat in the OOC schedule because of the cadaverous conference schedule. Of course, the OP is not even proposing that, but is simply speculating that UConn and UTenn might meet in the tournament.
StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/24/16 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Queenie wrote:

X____

XX______

Besides, without Pat Summitt, the rivalry isn't quite the same anymore.

PostPosted: 10/24/16 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Let go what?

I think this is a reasonable WCBB question for the upcoming season. I voted for UConn because I see less uncertainty in the skills and health of their players and because, in my opinion, they have better offensive and defensive coaching.

I'm sure a lot of WCBB fans would like to see a resumption of the UConn-UTenn rivalry, and I'm sure a lot of UConn fans would like to see even more meat in the OOC schedule because of the cadaverous conference schedule. Of course, the OP is not even proposing that, but is simply speculating that UConn and UTenn might meet in the tournament.

Not sure what constitutes "a lot" of WCBB fans but I sure don't see that reflected here at all. More like "find a new rivalry already."

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/16 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Let go what?

and I'm sure a lot of UConn fans would like to see even more meat in the OOC schedule because of the cadaverous conference schedule. Of course, the OP is not even proposing that, but is simply speculating that UConn and UTenn might meet in the tournament.

I think they've found a lot of meat without Tennessee. Take a gander at their OOC schedule.

And I assume they will start playing again once Holly moves on.

- Amanda Gorman
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd rather see Notre Dame-Stanford again before I saw this mess of a matchup.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then again, I am the impossible homer, a Stanford fan who is still reveling in that win before our terrible finish last season.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Allow me to elaborate. I think UConn-Tennessee is about as relevant to the state of modern WCBB as Old Dominion-Louisiana Tech- a strong part of our history, but one that the game has moved past. UConn has moved on and built new rivalries- look at Notre Dame or Stanford. Tennessee has moved on, though I don't know if they've built new OOC rivalries.

I think it's important to move past this match-up to be able to look at the broader state of women's basketball. There are 300-and-something-I've-lost-track D-I schools out there. The game has grown, no matter how terrified ESPN seems to be of the dreaded upset.

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Allow me to elaborate. I think UConn-Tennessee is about as relevant to the state of modern WCBB as Old Dominion-Louisiana Tech- a strong part of our history, but one that the game has moved past. UConn has moved on and built new rivalries- look at Notre Dame or Stanford. Tennessee has moved on, though I don't know if they've built new OOC rivalries.

I think it's important to move past this match-up to be able to look at the broader state of women's basketball. There are 300-and-something-I've-lost-track D-I schools out there. The game has grown, no matter how terrified ESPN seems to be of the dreaded upset.

I also find it interesting that the UConn-Stanford rivalry is currently at a standstill. I think Queenie is right though, and the game is definitely growing, the Left Coast is becoming increasingly non-Stanford oriented, and hopefully the Right Coast gets with the program this season.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last time they played this happened.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y2LmuQ3VDYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/24/16 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
Last time they played this happened.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y2LmuQ3VDYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aLlf1nMzHjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We could turn this into a thread of "last time versus UConn."

Somehow, I think we need to get past the nostalgia and focus on what's happening this season. There are so many storylines. South Carolina and the Ohio State knocking at the door, the West Coast is going to be the Wild, Wild, West, and then let's see if it's the year of the Billiken in the A-10.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/24/16 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ya, sometimes, Legendary Things (old rivalries, Liz Taylor, etc.) just need to fade into the annals of history. TN/UConn CANNOT be the same without Pat.

That said, you can BET the first time they DO meet (tourney, most likely) will be quite a media frenzy to recapture 'something', real or imagined, with endless blathering about the history of it all. That's cool, too. Cool

PostPosted: 10/24/16 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to Baylor's back-to-back games vs UCLA and UConn. Baylor doesn't usually give us this early season window into how good they are. On paper, they're potentially the best or one of the top two or three teams in the country. We'll get to see.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/25/16 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm looking forward to Baylor's back-to-back games vs UCLA and UConn. Baylor doesn't usually give us this early season window into how good they are. On paper, they're potentially the best or one of the top two or three teams in the country. We'll get to see.

I agree, that jumped out at me as surprising.

Who can handle a tough first game better? Baylor vs UCLA, UConn vs Florida State.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/25/16 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I agree, that jumped out at me as surprising.

Who can handle a tough first game better? Baylor vs UCLA, UConn vs Florida State.

Baylor actually plays two exhibitions plus a regular game vs Houston Baptist before facing UCLA. UCLA has an exhibition and plays Pacific.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/25/16 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The old ones should just be the old ones in this scenario.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: