RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Where have you gone, Showtime Shoni-o . . .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/21/16 7:53 pm    ::: Where have you gone, Showtime Shoni-o . . . Reply Reply with quote

. . . Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you . . . .

Are there any Shoni Schimmels out there this season? I miss her éclat, élan, pizzazz, bravura and pure entertainment value.

BOMB!!! Bullet pass. Behind the back, over the head: into the post, into the other team, into the stands. BOMB! Air ball. Magical drive. Out-of-control charge. Brilliance. Idiocy. Air ball. BOMB!

Fun. To. Watch.

Who will be on the All Entertainment team this season?

Woo, woo, woo.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZFQu47A9UQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 10/22/16 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/22/16 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

200 views and no one can think of an entertaining NCAA player to watch?

I'm sure there are scores of them tucked away on various teams. I'll nominate three.

Kelsey Mitchell seems the obvious first choice:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YUrrzzm9EF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Diamond DeShields, especially if she could finally be injury free:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DwwY8fOJq_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bianca Cuevas at South Carolina:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f3XItTH4Tc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and, more completely, as a 9th grader:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cpbkd1XkOEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 10/22/16 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/22/16 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Kelsey twins ...

PostPosted: 10/22/16 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be watching Amber Ramirez this year.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 10/22/16 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JqAObPgDJ0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/22/16 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The Kelsey twins ...

Where are they?
sammieee

PostPosted: 10/22/16 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:
The Kelsey twins ...

Where are they?

I'm guessing Kelsey Mitchell and Kelsey Plum.

I'll throw in Asia Durr (if healthy), playing in Louisville's free flowing system will help. I still remember watching Durr (as a junior) single handily outdueling Mitchell (senior) and her All-Ohio black teammates, Katheryn Westbeld, Alexa Hart, etc.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/22/16 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sam Prahalis was Shoni Shimmel before Shoni. Behind the back no look passes. Crazy half court bounce passes. Between the legs, over the head. And1 type moves. She did all that. All these other players everyone mentions are just good players that are fun to watch in their own right, but in a different way. Sammy and Shoni play with flash and will not just make a play but will try to make it entertaining and fun to look at as well. I honestly can't think of anyone currently in the NCAA who plays like either one of them. You may see a flashy type play once in a blue moon from a player but not like those 2.

PostPosted: 10/22/16 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Sam Prahalis was Shoni Shimmel before Shoni. Behind the back no look passes. Crazy half court bounce passes. Between the legs, over the head. And1 type moves. She did all that. All these other players everyone mentions are just good players that are fun to watch in their own right, but in a different way. Sammy and Shoni play with flash and will not just make a play but will try to make it entertaining and fun to look at as well. I honestly can't think of anyone currently in the NCAA who plays like either one of them. You may see a flashy type play once in a blue moon from a player but not like those 2.

And Pete Maravich did it much much much better long before any of them.

And his teams didn't win anything either.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/22/16 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

And Pete Maravich did it much much much better long before any of them.

And his teams didn't win anything either.

Well, for the gals, Ticha P at ODU was earlier than Prahalis. Regardless, flash is fun but not a "must have" for me to enjoy a game. Shoni's flash hasn't carried her far, unfortunately.

PostPosted: 10/23/16 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was speaking of the recent past in the past 5-10 years. Of course I know neither was the first to do some of these things. Sammy was called Pistol Pete with a Ponytail in High School. If you want to go earlier than that go to Bob Cousy. Watch some highlights on him. Flashy player back in the day. And he won quite a bit if I recall. Point is I haven't seen anyone like Shoni or Sammy recently in women's basketball. Shoni not being in shape is a major factor as to why she hasn't gone far, not her flashy play.

Also I like how you guys say a MALE PLAYER did things "much much better". I could say that a male player did this or that better than just about any women's player you want to bring up. But I think our goal is to not compare men's and women's basketball in such a way.

Last edited by Jet Jaguar on 10/23/16 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/23/16 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The point you evidently missed about Maravich is that there have been hot dogs throughout basketball history and none of the people you mentioned ever won anything. Your hero was very far from being unique, and was just as ineffective.

Oh and Cousey had zero similarity to Pete Maravich.

Maravich was great fun to watch. He could have been great on the Globetrotters.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/23/16 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Artbest you are dead wrong. Go to YouTube. Type in Bob Cousy and watch some highlights. Cousy was one of the first flashy PGs in the NBA. And he was very successful. I've always thought Prahalis was more like Cousy or Nash than Pistol Pete because she was a great floor general too. Shoni I think is more Pistol like.

While you're at it, watch some Stephen Curry highlights too. And I think he may have won a title as well. There are some flashy players who didn't do much. Best example is Jason Williams. But there are some that are very successful and play with style.

The women's game needs more players like this. Whether you personally don't feel you need it to be entertained or not, it would help make it more exciting for a lot of people. It can be fun and exciting and that doesn't mean the quality of basketball has to be worse. I think people's mindset is that women play a certain way and don't play like that. That's wrong and people should get out of that mindset. I became a Prahalis fan because she does play like that. Flashy, fun, passionate, tons of skill, AND very effective.

PostPosted: 10/23/16 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And, oh wait, wasn't Ticha Penicheiro a WNBA champion as well??? So Artbest23, you can take several seats because your arguement has no validity.

PostPosted: 10/23/16 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
And, oh wait, wasn't Ticha Penicheiro a WNBA champion as well??? So Artbest23, you can take several seats because your arguement has no validity.

Did I say anything about Penicheiro? No? I didn't think so.

Your reputation regarding Prahalis precedes you. Rolling Eyes

Did you ever actually see Cousy play a game? What about Maravich? Nah, didn't think you had.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/23/16 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, Ticha won a title. After she learned to tone her game down somewhat.

PostPosted: 10/23/16 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State)
Alexis Peterson (Syracuse)
Kristine Anigwe (California)
Lashann Higgs (Texas)
Makayla Epps (Kentucky) (maybe)

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/24/16 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shakayla Thomas at FSU, Ariel Atkins at Texas and Tyler Scaife at the Jewel of the Big Ten are all explosive players with hang time.

Pistol Pete was the most exciting backcourt player I've ever seen before he got injured -- shooting, handling, passing, zippidydoodandying.

This topic was intended to focus on players with entertainment value . . . watchability . . . magic . . . regardless of whether they are on teams that win.

This is what surprised me so much about high school basketball when I began watching it about 10 years ago. I found that I enjoyed watching games with dominant players who could put up big numbers and make WOW plays, even if they were on mediocre teams. Those players were never as much fun to watch in college when they had to blend into the monotonous and mundane tedium of teamwork.

It reminded me of how much I used to love watching Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain, the Big O, Jerry West, Calvin Murphy, the Pistol and Rick Barry score 40, 50, 60 points on mediocre teams. Connie Hawkins at Boys High in Brooklyn was un-be-lievable.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/24/16 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordin Canada, UCLA.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/24/16 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My top three most dynamic players to watch this season would be DeShields, Mitchell, and
Canada.

PostPosted: 10/24/16 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering a few names proferred in this thread, I wonder if or how folks are distinguishing between "dynamic" or entertaining, and out-of-control.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 10/25/16 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Considering a few names proferred in this thread, I wonder if or how folks are distinguishing between "dynamic" or entertaining, and out-of-control.

Well, of those names, who is dynamic? And who is out
of control?

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/30/16 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Destiny F'ing Slocum. Every play is a dizzile dazzle type move. More than a couple times I went oooooh what the heck?! and in a good way Lol I wish UConn had her, but then that just wouldn't be fair Razz

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/30/16 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Destiny F'ing Slocum. Every play is a dizzile dazzle type move. More than a couple times I went oooooh what the heck?! and in a good way Lol I wish UConn had her, but then that just wouldn't be fair Razz

Good choice. She was Shoni-like against UConn: moonshot threes from astronomical distances, Pickett's charge drives, Cousy passes, and over-the-head esrever layups.

Even though that performance included a large dollop of shooting luck (as did Dangerfield's against Baylor), I'll make Slocum my current leading candidate for the FreshOY award.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/30/16 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Good choice. She was Shoni-like against UConn: moonshot threes from astronomical distances, Pickett's charge drives, Cousy passes, and over-the-head esrever layups.

Even though that performance included a large dollop of shooting luck (as did Dangerfield's against Baylor), I'll make Slocum my current leading candidate for the FreshOY award.

I'll still wait to see how long it takes for Ionescu to come back, and if she can play like she did before the injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: