RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SEC Media Day News, Pre-Season Picks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/18/16 2:49 pm    ::: SEC Media Day News, Pre-Season Picks Reply Reply with quote

The SEC Media Days begin tomorrow and Thursday, but the league media have already submitted their pre-season picks:

SEC Preseason Media Poll

1. South Carolina

2. Mississippi State

3. Tennessee

4. Kentucky

5. Florida

6. Texas A&M

7. Auburn

8. Missouri

9. Vanderbilt

10. Georgia

11. Arkansas

12. LSU

13. Alabama

14. Ole Miss

Preseason Player of the Year

A’ja Wilson, South Carolina

Preseason All-SEC First Team

Makayla Epps, Kentucky

Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State

Alaina Coates, South Carolina

A’ja Wilson, South Carolina

Diamond DeShields, Tennessee

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article108977362.html#storylink=cpy

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/18/16 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised to see Kentucky so high and Mizzou that low. I mean, Sophie Cunningham is pretty decent.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/18/16 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
I'm surprised to see Kentucky so high and Mizzou that low. I mean, Sophie Cunningham is pretty decent.

They lost Frericks who was an important piece. And they're in the wrong conference to be short handed.

- Amanda Gorman
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/18/16 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

They lost Frericks who was an important piece. And they're in the wrong conference to be short handed.

I did just read that, so I was about to come back in and dampen my expectations for them. If we're talking about being shorthanded......them Wildcats are going to have fun.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/18/16 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I did just read that, so I was about to come back in and dampen my expectations for them. If we're talking about being shorthanded......them Wildcats are going to have fun.

but Epps and Akhator are real nice anchors. And they had a Freshman guard who I think didn't transfer who showed well last year...can't think of her name right off. But yeah, they'll need to stay out of foul trouble for sure.

Anyway I think there's a pretty big gap after #3 and before whoever is #4...but we'll see! Let those games begin!

- Amanda Gorman
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/18/16 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
myrtle wrote:

but Epps and Akhator are real nice anchors. And they had a Freshman guard who I think didn't transfer who showed well last year...can't think of her name right off. But yeah, they'll need to stay out of foul trouble for sure.

Anyway I think there's a pretty big gap after #3 and before whoever is #4...but we'll see! Let those games begin!

I think the America East is much more unpredictable than the SEC this year. I mean, does Imani Tate have what it takes to carry Albany to their sixth straight? I'm not convinced. It's essentially a two horse race, with Sigi Kolzar leading Maine, and then there are a whole host of dark horses. It's a fascinating time to be a fan of the America East.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/18/16 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd actually argue that there's a big gap after the top 2. Tennessee doesn't have much after Diamond and Mercedes. I mean, they don't have Te'a Cooper or Andraya Carter this season. I'll be interested to see if one of their players is second to Nunn (see what I did there) and is able to compete in the SEC. Tennessee has a lot of questions, and I don't think that Diamond is the answer.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/18/16 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's exactly what I thought. I still don't see how KY can finish 4th with all they've lost. And Mizzou is better than that. JMO.

PostPosted: 10/19/16 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
myrtle wrote:

You may be thinking of Taylor Murray or Maci Morris. Mitchell picked up some walk ons so we'll have a few extra fouls to give Wink

I was surprised to see Ole Miss picked last in the conference.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/19/16 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I think there's a huge gap after #1, and then another big gap after #3.

I'd have them

1 S Car
2 Miss St
3. Tenn
4 Florida
The Rest

If McCowan can really step up and play to her potential, then Miss St can separate itself from Tenn and move closer to SCar.

I must say I am a little surprised by all the accolades Epps is getting. She's a nice player, but I'm not sold on her All American status. She will likely put up gaudy stats though given Ky's shortage of warm bodies, much less quality warm bodies. She's assured of lots of shots.

I think the question of the year is how does Nikki Fargas keep her job. Predicted to have another sterling year I see.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 10/19/16 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd actually argue that there's a big gap after the top 2. Tennessee doesn't have much after Diamond and Mercedes. I mean, they don't have Te'a Cooper or Andraya Carter this season. I'll be interested to see if one of their players is second to Nunn (see what I did there) and is able to compete in the SEC. Tennessee has a lot of questions, and I don't think that Diamond is the answer.

Diamond is going into this season healthy. We know about her athletic ability. Plus she might be playing for the top draft pick in WNBA draft.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/19/16 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

They've also lost Bri Porter, most likely for good, to an ACL tear (her second in the same knee), and her sister Cierra Porter is recovering from offseason foot surgery, so they might be kind of a one-player team right now. And Cunningham can't do it all.

PostPosted: 10/19/16 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I must say I am a little surprised by all the accolades Epps is getting. She's a nice player, but I'm not sold on her All American status. She will likely put up gaudy stats though given Ky's shortage of warm bodies, much less quality warm bodies. She's assured of lots of shots.

I'm not at all sure about her as a pro (she needs to get more range on her shot) but I love her bulldog play at this level. She's definitely a proponent of 'go right 'em' and just seems like a kid who wants the ball in her hand when the game is on the line. I probably haven't watched them enough to grow to dislike that quality in her.

- Amanda Gorman
grrlagent

PostPosted: 10/19/16 11:14 am    ::: Re: SEC Media Day News, Pre-Season Picks Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Conway Gamecock"]The SEC Media Days begin tomorrow and Thursday, but the league media have already submitted their pre-season picks:

SEC Preseason Media Poll

1. South Carolina

2. Mississippi State

3. Tennessee

4. Kentucky

5. Florida

6. Texas A&M

12. LSU

I won't say this wrong about LSU or say this is right about LSU. BUT, if LSU finishes 12th, Nikki Fargas better start looking for a new job. Raygiene Moncrief is coming back as well as a cadre of seniors with lots of quality playing time.....Some younguns that looked relatively promising as well. Finishing 12th won't cut it.

PostPosted: 10/19/16 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This could be the weakest the SEC has ever looked in its history.

Nonetheless, can we get an over/under on how many coaches at SEC media day will tout it as the best league in the country?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/19/16 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:

Nonetheless, can we get an over/under on how many coaches at SEC media day will tout it as the best league in the country?

I'd say 14.

I expect every other P5 conference will also be unanimous.

Hey, it's preseason. Optimism and hype reign supreme.

In a month, they all have to start proving it. But until then. . . .

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/19/16 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I'm not at all sure about her as a pro (she needs to get more range on her shot) but I love her bulldog play at this level. She's definitely a proponent of 'go right 'em' and just seems like a kid who wants the ball in her hand when the game is on the line. I probably haven't watched them enough to grow to dislike that quality in her.

I love Epps. And I say that as a Tennessee fan. I think she's pretty amazing and I totally enjoy watching her play. I think she can get more range on her shot but hasn't had to up until now; she may have to this year.

PostPosted: 10/23/16 12:56 am    ::: Re: SEC Media Day News, Pre-Season Picks Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

SEC Preseason Media Poll

1. South Carolina

South Carolina participated in a closed scrimmage against FSU yesterday.

Meesh98

PostPosted: 10/23/16 4:28 am    ::: Re: SEC Media Day News, Pre-Season Picks Reply Reply with quote

noleman wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

SEC Preseason Media Poll

1. South Carolina

I thought South Carolina was hosting Cara Ursin on a official visit this weekend 🤔

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/23/16 10:36 am    ::: Re: SEC Media Day News, Pre-Season Picks Reply Reply with quote

Meesh98 wrote:
noleman wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

SEC Preseason Media Poll

1. South Carolina

I thought South Carolina was hosting Cara Ursin on a official visit this weekend 🤔

Where was the scrimmage?

noleman

PostPosted: 10/23/16 11:39 am    ::: Re: SEC Media Day News, Pre-Season Picks Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Meesh98 wrote:
noleman wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

SEC Preseason Media Poll

1. South Carolina

Where was the scrimmage?

FSU flew to North Carolina on Friday night, so i would assume SC.

Meesh98

PostPosted: 10/23/16 12:02 pm    ::: Re: SEC Media Day News, Pre-Season Picks Reply Reply with quote

noleman wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Meesh98 wrote:
noleman wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

SEC Preseason Media Poll

1. South Carolina

Where was the scrimmage?

They probably flew into Charlotte. The did scrimmage each other last year too.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/23/16 12:11 pm    ::: Re: SEC Media Day News, Pre-Season Picks Reply Reply with quote

Meesh98 wrote:
noleman wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Meesh98 wrote:
noleman wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

SEC Preseason Media Poll

1. South Carolina

Where was the scrimmage?

They probably flew into Charlotte. The did scrimmage each other last year too.

If it was at SCar, why would that be a problem for Ursin's visit? They're not mutually exclusive.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 10/23/16 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WJ3PN8hCYf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/23/16 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I heard Epps was one of the reasons some of the players left or I could be getting my teams mixed up, but I thought part of the reason was that Mitchell let her do anything she wanted which would appear to be how she plays?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: