RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big 12 Conference 2016-2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/12/16 7:02 pm    ::: Big 12 Conference 2016-2017 Reply Reply with quote

2016-17 Big 12 Conference Women's Basketball Preseason Poll
1. Baylor (9) 81
2. Texas (1) 73
3. Oklahoma 61
4. West Virginia 57
5. K-State 50
6. TCU 34
7. Iowa State 28
7. Texas Tech 28
9. Oklahoma State 23
10. Kansas 15
(first place votes in parentheses; coaches not allowed to vote for their own team)

Howee

PostPosted: 10/14/16 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could quite well be the final finish in their regular season. I'm still holding out hope for TX to beat out Baylor, tho....I think it's believable.

My biggest question on this ranking? I don't think WV will will be that high; they lost too much in Holmes' departure. But they're always contenders.

PostPosted: 10/14/16 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Could quite well be the final finish in their regular season. I'm still holding out hope for TX to beat out Baylor, tho....I think it's believable.

My biggest question on this ranking? I don't think WV will will be that high; they lost too much in Holmes' departure. But they're always contenders.

As good as some others are, I still think Mike Carey is the best coach in the conference.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/14/16 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Howee wrote:

As good as some others are, I still think Mike Carey is the best coach in the conference.

The man is an evil genius. I'm not sorry we don't have to play West Virginia anymore.

(now with spelling variations)
Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/16 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

So far they are doing very well. Are they better than OK? I guess we'll see.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 01/02/17 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Howee wrote:

So far they are doing very well. Are they better than OK? I guess we'll see.

You're right again, but they finally fell to KSU today for their first loss.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/03/17 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211390422

Mulkey has been a nice surprise for most of us sooner fans, I think she's easily looked better then Cox and Chu from Baylor, and is making a case to compete with Homles for future Big 12 POY awards.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/03/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211390422

Mulkey has been a nice surprise for most of us sooner fans, I think she's easily looked better then Cox and Chu from Baylor, and is making a case to compete with Homles for future Big 12 POY awards.

Given how she started very quietly in the first few games, my surprise is that she's already being much more assertive this early on.

Now, I'm hoping that Sherri will have 4/5 combo like ViVi/Nancy or Nancy/Ije ready to go for TX and Baylor, who are very BIG in the frontcourt. I haven't seen much (any?) of her playing 2 of the 3 bigs at the same time. Maddie plays the 4 well, but put her at the 3 and it becomes a REALLY big AND reasonably fast lineup.

Gioya. Carter. Please report for duty! This kid's been MIA in most games lately.

PostPosted: 01/03/17 7:58 pm    ::: Re: Big 12 Conference 2016-2017 Reply Reply with quote

OOPS! Shocked

Last edited by Howee on 03/01/17 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Howee

PostPosted: 01/08/17 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And a (semi-) uproarious weekend in the Big 12 Games!

Today, WVU (who lost to K-State by 15) soundly beats Oklahoma (who BEAT K-State!). Iowa State knocks off Kansas by 29.

Yesterday, Baylor and Texas dominated OK-State and TCU, respectively. K-State knocked off Texas Tech, who are each 2-2 in conference play now. Only TCU and Kansas are winless in conference play, while Texas and Baylor are the only undefeateds in conference.

PostPosted: 01/11/17 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas shreds OK-State tonight, 66-35. With FG % of 18 and 32, combined PFs of 43, and 27 TOs, I'm thinking it must a been mighty ugly. Shocked

Well, at least each team had exactly ONE player in double figures. That must mean they shared generously. Out of 23 players to see time tonight, only 5 of them didn't score.

PostPosted: 01/12/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tech throws a monkey wrench into the standings by defeating WVU....not shocked at all.

PostPosted: 01/12/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's some entertaining games here, but then I remember that discussing the B12 standings is about as suspenseful as worrying about whether Temple, Tulane or Cincy is going to finish 2nd in the AAC.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/12/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
There's some entertaining games here, but then I remember that discussing the B12 standings is about as suspenseful as worrying about whether Temple, Tulane or Cincy is going to finish 2nd in the AAC.

What conference *don't* you sneer at...or are you still living in the glory days of the OLD (defunct) Big East?

PostPosted: 01/12/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What conference *don't* you sneer at...or are you still living in the glory days of the OLD (defunct) Big East?

You want to post childish shit like this, go back to your troll board with your buddy Tribble.

There is no "sneer" involved. Just a comment that Baylor is likely ( albeit not certain) to sweep the conference. As I said, there's some entertaining highly competitive Big 12 games, but they're not playing for the conference title. Which you probably would have understood if you were paying attention instead of trolling.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/12/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

You want to post childish shit like this, go back to your troll board with your buddy Tribble.

There is no "sneer" involved. Just a comment that Baylor is likely ( albeit not certain) to sweep the conference. As I said, there's some entertaining highly competitive Big 12 games, but they're not playing for the conference title. Which you probably would have understood if you were paying attention instead of trolling.

Typical. You automatically take any disagreement with you, or questioning of your statements, as "trolling".

No, Art. From several years of observation, I have watched you with your negative comments about every single conference except maybe your late lamented Big East-that-used-to-be. This one "can't play offense", that one "doesn't play defense", another one is simply " so boring". It must be hard work to be such a misanthrope.

PostPosted: 01/12/17 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am running very much out of patience with personal sniping. I've been loathe to step in, but I think that has led to the impression that it's okay.

It's not. It's really not.

(now with spelling variations)
Howee

PostPosted: 01/13/17 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
There's some entertaining games here, but then I remember that discussing the B12 standings is about as suspenseful as worrying about whether Temple, Tulane or Cincy is going to finish 2nd in the AAC. .

....which is PRECISELY why you haven't found your engraved invitation to come discuss here yet, have you--LOL!

Look, I really don't give a Ratzazz if folks don't appreciate the Big 12.

*I* do.

And I've followed them for a looong time, when they were indeed still 12 teams. Even though their members declined in number, they STILL produce some of the best teams/competition/players in the land. So, as long as I am able, I will do my best to represent them here at Rebs.

Interestingly, this conference has been 'dominated' by a greater variety of teams than many conferences can boast; Baylor has NOT always been Top Dog. It's rather recent, actually. Oklahoma dominated for many years, Texas has had its share of seasons. Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Iowa State, and even Colorado have won the league tourney.

And I believe it still holds the record for fan attendance, as a conference. Awesome stuff that should be honored.

PostPosted: 01/13/17 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
There's some entertaining games here, but then I remember that discussing the B12 standings is about as suspenseful as worrying about whether Temple, Tulane or Cincy is going to finish 2nd in the AAC. .

....which is PRECISELY why you haven't found your engraved invitation to come discuss here yet, have you--LOL!

Look, I really don't give a Ratzazz if folks don't appreciate the Big 12.

*I* do.

And I've followed them for a looong time, when they were indeed still 12 teams. Even though their members declined in number, they STILL produce some of the best teams/competition/players in the land. So, as long as I am able, I will do my best to represent them here at Rebs.

Interestingly, this conference has been 'dominated' by a greater variety of teams than many conferences can boast; Baylor has NOT always been Top Dog. It's rather recent, actually. Oklahoma dominated for many years, Texas has had its share of seasons. Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Iowa State, and even Colorado have won the league tourney.

And I believe it still holds the record for fan attendance, as a conference. Awesome stuff that should be honored.

The games are great. I often try to catch WVU and OU games. I liked it when aTm was in the conference too. They're competitive and they're fun, and the fans are enthusiastic. My comment was specifically about the futility THIS year of discussing the standings. I don't think Baylor has a challenger this year. I was actually disappointed to see Baylor go on the road and just crush both WVU and OSU.

The Big10 and the ACC have both had quite a variety of different leaders at different times, BTW.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/13/17 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I don't think Baylor has a challenger this year. I was actually disappointed to see Baylor go on the road and just crush both WVU and OSU.

And I DO (perhaps naively...) think there's at least 3 teams that could knock them off. At least, let's say there's a better chance of that than there is of UConn losing a conference game, LOL!

But ya....this year, it's the ACC and PAC 12 that hold all the intrigue for Top Dog contenders.

PostPosted: 01/13/17 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I don't think Baylor has a challenger this year. I was actually disappointed to see Baylor go on the road and just crush both WVU and OSU.

And I DO (perhaps naively...) think there's at least 3 teams that could knock them off. At least, let's say there's a better chance of that than there is of UConn losing a conference game, LOL!

But ya....this year, it's the ACC and PAC 12 that hold all the intrigue for Top Dog contenders.

And at least the B1G is entertaining, even though some teams can't shoot.

PostPosted: 01/23/17 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anddddddd........The Beat Goes On.

Re: standings, the (projected) Top Three--Baylor, TX, OK--remain intact. The (projected) bottom--Kansas--remains unmoved. The middle 6 aren't far off from where they were projected, which is no major miracle when you only HAVE 10 teams, LOL.

Baylor continues to look indomitable, and is more and more convincing as UConn's most serious contender for the NC, imo. I'm thinking SC and UConn are the only teams left that might beat them, anymore.

PostPosted: 01/29/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big Day in Big 12 Land. Baylor and Texas each face opponents (NOT named TX or Baylor) that have the best chance of taking them down in conference play. No breath being held here, but.....we can at least hope for good games all around.

PostPosted: 01/29/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West Virginia giving Texas all they want in Austin. Just remembered that I'm not supposed to post scores in here as I'm sure there is a thread on the other page.

Suffice to say, this is a good game.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/30/17 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big 12 standings remain pretty much intact. Baylor had its hands full with Oklahoma---for about one quarter, then sailed to an easy victory. Texas was a bit more challenged by WVU, but not too much. The much anticipated Bears/Longhorns showdown looms on the horizon. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: