RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maryland adopts clear bag policy for arena entry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/09/16 7:06 am    ::: Maryland adopts clear bag policy for arena entry Reply Reply with quote

(Apologies if this has been posted elsehwere, but I haven't seen it.)

The University of Maryland has adopted the NFL's "clear bag" policy, applying it to football games and men's and women's basketball.

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211101491

The rule prohibits fans from entering the arena with any non-clear bags (including purses), except for a tiny "clutch" the size of hand, too small for anything but a cell phone and a few dollar bils. The approved clear bags are totes of a certain size, and freezer bags (yes, I reallly want to carry my wallet and keys around in a freezer bag).

The policy will unquestionably have a disparate impact on women, especially coming from work. Our clothes are just not made to carry even our fundamental basic valuables -- wallet, house keys, office keys, car keys, phone. Also, what an invasion of privacy (not to mention a security issue) to have to display your personal possessions in a clear bag. I'm sure many people carry around things (meds, tampons, etc.) that they don't want to display to the world.

I am disturbed that we live in a society now where anyone thinks this is necesssary. And it disturbs me that a rule that was adoped to deal with booze-carrying fans at football games is being imposed on women's basketball.

If it's about genuine security, then invest in metal detectors.

I really hate this.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/09/16 9:08 am    ::: Re: Maryland adopts clear bag policy for arena entry Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
(Apologies if this has been posted elsehwere, but I haven't seen it.)

The University of Maryland has adopted the NFL's "clear bag" policy, applying it to football games and men's and women's basketball.

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211101491

The rule prohibits fans from entering the arena with any non-clear bags (including purses), except for a tiny "clutch" the size of hand, too small for anything but a cell phone and a few dollar bils. The approved clear bags are totes of a certain size, and freezer bags (yes, I reallly want to carry my wallet and keys around in a freezer bag).

The policy will unquestionably have a disparate impact on women, especially coming from work. Our clothes are just not made to carry even our fundamental basic valuables -- wallet, house keys, office keys, car keys, phone. Also, what an invasion of privacy (not to mention a security issue) to have to display your personal possessions in a clear bag. I'm sure many people carry around things (meds, tampons, etc.) that they don't want to display to the world.

I am disturbed that we live in a society now where anyone thinks this is necesssary. And it disturbs me that a rule that was adoped to deal with booze-carrying fans at football games is being imposed on women's basketball.

I really hate this.

Right there with you. I've complained about crap like this for years at ND.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/09/16 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Me too. I bitched about it at Tennessee for years and finally ended up just sticking my billfold in my pocket. This is also what I do now at JMU....change, keys, tickets, and lip balm in pocket, hands free. If I had to carry any other necessities, I have another pocket. But they don't bother me and I don't get patted down. I just have to go through the metal detector, so I carry my keys until I get through that.

PostPosted: 10/09/16 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fanrastic. And what if you carry a laptop and don't drive?

Looks like the NCAA tournament was my last visit to College Park.

PostPosted: 10/09/16 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Fanrastic. And what if you carry a laptop and don't drive?

Looks like the NCAA tournament was my last visit to College Park.

I'm guessing the allowed 12" clear tote is for the laptop. Shocked

With the ever-growing traffic volume in the DC-area, it now takes us a full hour to drive the 15 miles from our offices in DC to College Park (much more if it's raining or snowing). And it's not a fun drive, it's a painful drive in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic. And that's if we can bail out of work on the early side. I love the Terps, but the traffic is bad enough. I don't know how this clear bag policy is going to play out (other than that I totally hate the concept and know it's going to really inconvenience me), but I'm at the point now where just getting to most games is not fun.

Brinx

PostPosted: 10/09/16 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did something happen to prompt this change? Or is it just a precaution?

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/09/16 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
Did something happen to prompt this change? Or is it just a precaution?

Nothing I know of. They started it for Maryland football this season, and said it also applied to men's and women's basketball. But the news is just getting around the WBB community; it hasn't even been announced to STH, we learned about it from a friend's FB post this week.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/09/16 8:08 pm    ::: Re: Maryland adopts clear bag policy for arena entry Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

I believe these policies are more about preventing terrorism than booze-carrying fans. At least that is what I have been told when I asking a few people involved in different professional/collegiate athletic affiliations.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/09/16 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be in favor of this rule either, but one positive thing is that it should speed entry into the arena vs searches of every opaque bag which some venues are doing in the wake of terrorist threats.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/10/16 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My late ex used to say that anyone even *threatening* TBA would immediately be beaten to death by Lady Vol fans. Same for Neyland Stadium and Vol fans. Perhaps the policy is more for the protection of the threat makers Wink

PostPosted: 10/10/16 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal has this same rule that went into effect this year, it is becoming more common now.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2016/8/15/12494670/cal-athletics-changes-bag-policy-for-football-volleyball-and-basketball

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/10/16 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Cal has this same rule that went into effect this year, it is becoming more common now.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2016/8/15/12494670/cal-athletics-changes-bag-policy-for-football-volleyball-and-basketball

I think folks should assume this will become standard everywhere, especially in view of the NFL adopting this practice. http://www.nfl.com/qs/allclear/index.jsp

Indeed as it becomes more widespread, it becomes the standard of the industry and the liability risk is too great for any facility not to adopt it. If anything happened in their arena and they did not have this policy, they'd get destroyed in the resultant lawsuits.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/10/16 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think folks should assume this will become standard everywhere, especially in view of the NFL adopting this practice. http://www.nfl.com/qs/allclear/index.jsp

Indeed as it becomes more widespread, it becomes the standard of the industry and the liability risk is too great for any facility not to adopt it. If anything happened in their arena and they did not have this policy, they'd get destroyed in the resultant lawsuits.

Spoken like a true man (that is, the people least impacted).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/10/16 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Hey, I didn't write the rules. Don't blame me. I'm just telling you to get used to it because that ship has sailed. The NfL policy will likely become the de facto standard. Not doing it will soon be considered negligence, like not having handrails or non-skid steps. You can complain all you want, but that's not going to stop it.

ASU, LSU, aTm, are already there. It's only a matter of time until your favorite venue follows suit. I suspect the NFL adopted a league rule in order to save their teams from taking the flack ("sorry, we have no choice, it's a league policy" Wink ).

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/10/16 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This company is clearly ahead of the curve in this market.

http://www.ebags.com/brand/my-clear-backpack

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/10/16 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
This company is clearly ahead of the curve in this market.

http://www.ebags.com/brand/my-clear-backpack

Indeed, though not all of those products would be acceptable under the rules. The tote, for example, exceeds the allowed dimensions.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/10/16 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Hey, when they start checking what's in pants and coat pockets I'll stop bitching about them wanting to check my backpack.

Until then, I bitch!

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/11/16 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Also spoken like someone who doesn't rely on public transit. (This is also relevant to league officials.) Are arenas now going to have bag checks if people don't know about the policy or don't have an appropriately sized bag? No, I can't just go back to my car and leave it there. Go ahead and search it, that's fine; I'll have all the compartments open when I get there.

Yes, of course I'm pissed. I have a laptop. Screen's bigger than 12". Under these rules, I can't take it with me. Bit of a problem when one's claim to fame is game notes from the seats.

I think there's going to be more of a backlash in WBB for policies like this than there is on the men's side, because 1) seriously, this seems rather like overkill in WBB, and 2) as Courtside said, women are disproportionately impacted by the policy.

PostPosted: 10/11/16 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Also spoken like someone who doesn't rely on public transit. (This is also relevant to league officials.) Are arenas now going to have bag checks if people don't know about the policy or don't have an appropriately sized bag? No, I can't just go back to my car and leave it there. Go ahead and search it, that's fine; I'll have all the compartments open when I get there.

Yes, of course I'm pissed. I have a laptop. Screen's bigger than 12". Under these rules, I can't take it with me. Bit of a problem when one's claim to fame is game notes from the seats.

I think there's going to be more of a backlash in WBB for policies like this than there is on the men's side, because 1) seriously, this seems rather like overkill in WBB, and 2) as Courtside said, women are disproportionately impacted by the policy.

Also, I'm guessing, more diaper bags needed at women's games than at men's bball games or football. And what parent with toddlers doesn't carry a snack or toy or book for cranky moments?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/11/16 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Not sure why I'm getting the blame. I'm not defending it. I find it very inconvenient, probably of little real value, and mostly for show. All I'm saying is that at some point when it starts to become sufficiently mainstream, the lawyers or the insurance companies or both will start telling their clients that they need to do the same thing at their facilities for liability reasons.

Somewhere along the way, some "experts" decided this was a "necessary" response to a perceived risk. And the facility operators probably said, "hey, that will speed up the lines too". But when the NFL with its huge and respected security staff signs on, it creates enormous momentum. The easiest thing for anyone else to do is just photocopy the NFL policy and stick their own name on it.

If they don't, and something happens, the facility will get sued and the argument will be that the facility was negligent by not having security measures that met the standard of the industry.

I expect city arenas with large numbers of mass transit patrons may be among the last to adopt the policy for the very reasons you cite. They can't brush off the complaints with the "leave it in your car" line like U of MD can.

Guess you'll have to get a 10 inch tablet for taking notes.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/11/16 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever stood in line at an arena >3 hours after the doors opened while their staff searched every purse, tote, backpack, etc of every entrant? Given the choice, I'd much rather use one of those clear plastic bags. I'm wondering if this decision was based on Homeland Security guidelines for searches at entertainment venues.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 10/11/16 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Has anyone here ever stood in line at an arena >3 hours after the doors opened while their staff searched every purse, tote, backpack, etc of every entrant? Given the choice, I'd much rather use one of those clear plastic bags. I'm wondering if this decision was based on Homeland Security guidelines for searches at entertainment venues.

It is a copy of the NFL's policy (which btw was adopted 3 years ago). NFL is a whole different kettle of fish, imho, from most if not all college sports, and certainly from women's sports. (And they've been searching bags for years at Maryland WBB, and I've never waited three hours; not even one hour.)

I'm quite sure that University officials know this is overkill for WBB, but feel they can't "discriminate" between men's and women's sports. Ironically, women will be the most burdened by a policy that has its genesis in the bad behavior of (some) men.

I can't wait till the UConn game at Maryland, which will likely be the first pre-conference game to attract any significant attendance. I predict most of the folks turning up will NOT know about this new policy, and that it will be a disaster at the front doors.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/11/16 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FTR, I received the "leave it in your car" line at LaSalle, in Philadelphia. The folks at Maryland were very understanding of people who didn't know the bag policy when Iona visited for the tournament (but that's under NCAA protocol, which may be different from a school's protocol or an arena's ordinary protocols).

I can deal with bag searches and metal detectors- I do it all the time at St. John's and MSG. I can even deal with bag checks like Mohegan has. But trying to type on a tablet... oy. I'm writing this post from my tablet, and it takes three times as long as typing on a real keyboard, and my wrists hurt more, and there's no way I could whip up 2500 words on a game from this, especially on a bus or a train or waiting at a station.

PostPosted: 10/11/16 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina started implementing this policy this year for ALL ticketed athletic events, not just football and basketball:

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/genrel/071216aad.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/12/16 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I personally think it's a form of kabuki theater, designed to make us "feel" safe but serving no real purpose. If someone were really determined to do something, they would find a way to do it, clear bags or no. ~SMDH~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: