RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will Megan Walker choose UConn, Texas or ND?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of her final three schools will Megan Walker choose?
Connecticut
50%
 50%  [ 22 ]
Notre Dame
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Texas
31%
 31%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 44

MBR_CT33

PostPosted: 11/11/16 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was not suppose to happen. The soothsayers were calling for UConn's demise back in the days this AAC conference was formed.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/11/16 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MBR_CT33 wrote:
This was not suppose to happen. The soothsayers were calling for UConn's demise back in the days this AAC conference was formed.

X________

PostPosted: 11/11/16 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry but there are no real elites in this class or next. The reason they waited so long was for the hype. Once they hit college their worlds will change. Neither Walker nor Westbrook are good shooters, both would have struggled to make a dent in NDs line up. And same for UCONN and Oregon state for example as they have shooters.

Tenn will allow Westbrook at least to continue doing what she has due to their type of basketball but she is no different to what that have. At UCONN they have a big class coming in and that was probably causing some doubt on Walkers part, as to play there you have to be cerebral and maybe Gordon is more cerebral but it's hard to replace players there who will have shown they can handle what has been thrown at them already and I don't see that happening.

Some interesting comments made, one - I have always been successful- interesting as she hasn't, it was considered losing at the USA level, which also demonstrated that these classes have their weaknesses.

So the moral is everyone can relax as you never know after the next few years these classes could create parity across the board.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/11/16 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
MBR_CT33 wrote:

X________

Until Geno goes, UConn stays elite.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 11/11/16 1:28 pm    ::: YESSSSS! Reply Reply with quote

YESSSSSSS!

First it was a win for Trump (and America)
Then Megan Walker signing with UConn
Then a new fridge for my kitchen...

What an awesome week I'm having!

SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/11/16 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've said it before and stand by it still..some colleges spend the recruiting process promising playing time and smooch the rear end. Geno has a history, even back to Rebecca Lobo, on being blunt and honest. Some of his greatest players had to get over the toughest mental hurdles which have made them that much more prepared for the big leagues. Other places, players get coddled and tweet with their coaches and it ends up biting them in the ass. I remember when Lamar's leading scorer quit suddenly toward the end of last season, the coach was crying in the interview saying this is someone I considered a good friend, we would talk even outside of practice. Really? I don't know. All I know is UConn won four titles in a row and you don't see Geno and his staff tweeting their players or liking all their Instagram stuff and being "besties". The old Hoosiers "break them down and build them back up" approach has worked well for Geno. He's not an ego builder by any means. I'm just saying Wink

linkster

PostPosted: 11/11/16 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Sorry but there are no real elites in this class or next. The reason they waited so long was for the hype. Once they hit college their worlds will change. Neither Walker nor Westbrook are good shooters, both would have struggled to make a dent in NDs line up. And same for UCONN and Oregon state for example as they have shooters.

Tenn will allow Westbrook at least to continue doing what she has due to their type of basketball but she is no different to what that have. At UCONN they have a big class coming in and that was probably causing some doubt on Walkers part, as to play there you have to be cerebral and maybe Gordon is more cerebral but it's hard to replace players there who will have shown they can handle what has been thrown at them already and I don't see that happening.

Some interesting comments made, one - I have always been successful- interesting as she hasn't, it was considered losing at the USA level, which also demonstrated that these classes have their weaknesses.

So the moral is everyone can relax as you never know after the next few years these classes could create parity across the board.

Quote:
Neither Walker nor Westbrook are good shooters, both would have struggled to make a dent in NDs line up

So why was MM wasting her time recruiting players that mediocre?

Quote:
I have always been successful- interesting as she hasn't, it was considered losing at the USA level

I'm not sure but didn't the U18 team win gold?

Phil

PostPosted: 11/12/16 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walker was on the U18 team which did win gold but she was also on the 3X3 U18 team which won silver.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/14/16 5:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Walker is kind of like if D Taurasi and M Moore had a baby. MW has a temperament similar to DT and said her and Auriemma get along great and joke back and forth with each other in a fun loving jib kinda way that he shared with DT. She also has MM's athletism (supposedly) and fierce desire to win and being a team player.

But with a total of 15 players on the 2016-17 roster, I fear that there will be some of the lower tier kids transferring out due to lack of playing time that is a foregone conclusion to happen.

Uconn hasn't lost back to back games since 1993 and they start this season on the road against a top 20 team and then at home against the #2 team. It's extremely unlikely they lose both games, and it's extremely unlikely they lose their home opened at Gampel. I say they win both and become the #2 team in the country by weeks end, which will then become the #1 team once the overrated Irish drop a game.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/14/16 6:10 am    ::: Re: YESSSSS! Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
YESSSSSSS!

First it was a win for Trump (and America)
Then Megan Walker signing with UConn
Then a new fridge for my kitchen...

What an awesome week I'm having!

Funny, except for the first word, third sentence and fourth sentence, I could have posted this, but with the fourth sentence talking about how crappy my week was (for the record, I lived in Atlantic City for over 20 years, so I'm very familiar with Trump's real record...). Of course, I also wouldn't have posted "(and America)" either. Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/14/16 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
which will then become the #1 team once the overrated Irish drop a game.

That "overrated" ND team lost by 10 AT UConn last year. 65% of the scoring in that game for ND is returning this year (and this was with their star player out with an injury, plus another post player out as well, so ND entered that game down 2 starters). Only 51% of UConn's scoring in that game is returning. Keep in mind that the player who shut down Marina Mabrey in the 2nd half (after she scored 21 in the first half) isn't at UConn anymore. Plus, the game is at ND this year.

This is a ND program that has lost only 6 games in the last 3 seasons (4 were to UConn, the last was to Stanford who is a team capable of upsetting great teams. See UConn's last game vs Stanford). And UConn lost 3 players who finished #1-#3 in the WNBA draft.

In ND's first game of the season, against a team picked to finish first in the MAC, they won 107-47 with 4 of the guards having a combined 20-2 A/TO ratio. Oh, and their highly touted freshman guard didn't play due to a thumb injury.

I'd really be careful before suggesting that a ND team with 8 McDonald's AA's is "overrated..." Wink

This season is likely to have the greatest number of teams with a viable chance at the NC. Suggesting that any team currently in the top 5-6 would be overrated if ranked #1 at some point is not a smart thing to say.

Last edited by CBiebel on 11/14/16 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/14/16 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, repeat post

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/14/16 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Walker is a nice player, long, athletic and reasonably skilled -- but to compare her to DT misses one major factor: Walker, like so many of her contemporaries, is an indifferent outside shooter.

In high school, with the shorter line, she was a 27% three-point shooter (on 102 attempts) and one of 10 for USA Basketball.

That's the major question about her long term...

PostPosted: 11/14/16 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Megan Walker is a nice player, long, athletic and reasonably skilled -- but to compare her to DT misses one major factor: Walker, like so many of her contemporaries, is an indifferent outside shooter.

In high school, with the shorter line, she was a 27% three-point shooter (on 102 attempts) and one of 10 for USA Basketball.

Sometimes people forget that number one in your class doesn't make you a superstar in the same league as some other number ones.

Taurasi was top of her class, Moore too. So was Ann Strother.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/14/16 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

This is why I said she plays like a power forward. She's very good and athletic around the basket, on short drives and short jumpers; but her offensive effectiveness, like the force of gravity, diminishes by the square of her distance from the basket. In this, she is much like UConn's Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier.

Coming out of high school, DT and Maya were offensive forces at all distances from the basket.
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/14/16 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:

This is why I said she plays like a power forward. She's very good and athletic around the basket, on short drives and short jumpers; but her offensive effectiveness, like the force of gravity, diminishes by the square of her distance from the basket. In this, she is much like UConn's Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier.

Coming out of high school, DT and Maya were offensive forces at all distances from the basket.

Actually, Maya Moore couldn't shoot at all as a junior, and wasn't that good from the perimeter as a senior. She added that to her game in college ...

PostPosted: 11/14/16 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Actually, Maya Moore couldn't shoot at all as a junior, and wasn't that good from the perimeter as a senior. She added that to her game in college ...

If that's so, Maya added it pretty quick. She was 6-19 (.286) on the U19 team in the summer between high school and college, and then blasted off from the arc in her freshman year at UConn, hitting 73-174 (.420), the best 3FG% of her college career.

I only saw Moore once in high school. A 6-0 player is actually pretty tall in high school competition. At that height, and with her almost supernatural athleticism, Maya dominated inside and from the mid-range. She probably didn't need to go outside to score, and it would have been rational for her coach to want her to stay near the basket. Collins Hill also had a good outside shooter (Jordan?).

Anyway, Maya obviously had outside shooting talent within her. Perhaps Walker does too.
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/14/16 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:

If that's so, Maya added it pretty quick. She was 6-19 (.286) on the U19 team in the summer between high school and college, and then blasted off from the arc in her freshman year at UConn, hitting 73-174 (.420), the best 3FG% of her college career.

I only saw Moore once in high school. A 6-0 player is actually pretty tall in high school competition. At that height, and with her almost supernatural athleticism, Maya dominated inside and from the mid-range. She probably didn't need to go outside to score, and it would have been rational for her coach to want her to stay near the basket. Collins Hill also had a good outside shooter (Jordan?).

Anyway, Maya obviously had outside shooting talent within her. Perhaps Walker does too.

All good points, but Moore didn't take 102 three-pointers her junior year in high school. She pretty much scored in the paint, and really, comparing Megan Walker to Meyer more – or Diana to Rossi or Breanna Stewart – is comparing apples to apricots. Some years, as pointed out above, the talent level just isn't that great, and this appears to be one of those years. Neither Walker nor Evina Westbrook are particularly effective from the perimeter, and that will limit their ability to be impact players, unless they develop better shooting fairly quickly.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: