RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will Megan Walker choose UConn, Texas or ND?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of her final three schools will Megan Walker choose?
Connecticut
50%
 50%  [ 22 ]
Notre Dame
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Texas
31%
 31%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 44

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/29/16 10:17 pm    ::: Will Megan Walker choose UConn, Texas or ND? Reply Reply with quote

What school will Megan Walker sign with?

Her high school newspaper has been running this same poll, but I can't see it because I'm not on Twitter. Maybe someone could report those results:

https://twitter.com/ChiefTribune/status/781612581412831233

TRIGGER WARNING: Megan Walker's high school has an Indian nickname and mascot, so those of you who are precious snowflake millennials may instead want to retreat to this safe space.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/30/16 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 56 votes, Twitter says
UConn 32%
Texas 46%
ND 22%

Besides, snowflake millennials likely think the mascot's name is a misspelled reference to The Hunger Games.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/30/16 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, FLVF.

I don't even have a wild guess as to where Walker will choose.

Storrs would be be 500 miles from her home vs. 700 for South Bend, assuming parents attending games is a factor. Austin would be 1400 miles. However, in the ACC Walker would play a lot of conference games in the Virginia-North Carolina area that her family could attend.

To me, based on seeing her in several USAB games, Walker is a sort of very athletic but short power forward type player, who has a very mediocre outside shot. She could probably start right away on Texas and maybe even on Notre Dame. She probably has the least chance of starting right away on UConn, but she'd get lots of minutes even from the bench.

If football stadiums are important, UConn is at a disadvantage. If an interesting surrounding town is desirable, I'd give Austin -- where I lived for two years -- a big advantage.

She knows where she wants to go by this point. It's just a matter of when she wants to announce. To me, when a recruit pays her own way to go on unofficial visits, especially more than once, that's a very strong indicator of interest in a school. I don't know Walker's history re her unofficial visits. Maybe someone else does.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/30/16 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good points Glenn.

If anyone watched this class at Nike Nationals etc they would have noticed that their productivity was not very good. Actually same with 2016 along with the 2017, 2018 classes etc

Unfortunately for ND, only one visit on NDs dime, several to both Texas and UCONN.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/30/16 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Good points Glenn.

If anyone watched this class at Nike Nationals etc they would have noticed that their productivity was not very good. Actually same with 2016 along with the 2017, 2018 classes etc

Unfortunately for ND, only one visit on NDs dime, several to both Texas and UCONN.

At least one of those two UConn visits was a freebee where she stopped by for a few hours while her AAU team was playing nearby.

Are you sure she had ever previously visited Texas? When? I didn't think she had. And I notice that despite all these UConn visits, she hasn't committed. Must be something she doesn't like.

GlennMacGrady wrote:

If football stadiums are important, UConn is at a disadvantage. If an interesting surrounding town is desirable, I'd give Austin -- where I lived for two years -- a big advantage.

And if business schools are important, as they appear to be from her interviews ( likely a lot more than football stadiums), UConn is still at a disadvantage. According to the latest Business Week rankings of undergraduate business schools, it's ND #2, Texas #6, and UConn #72.

We'll all get to see her choice this week. I have no idea what she plans.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/30/16 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
We'll all get to see her choice this week.

Has she said that?
linkster

PostPosted: 09/30/16 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
We'll all get to see her choice this week.

Has she said that?

A year or two ago she showed an interest in a major in Kinesiology. I recall it because UConn has a pretty program & I thought it gave them an edge.

A Richmond newspaper interviewed her after each visit, asking her the same questions after each. When asked about a possible major at both Texas and UConn Walker mentioned Kinesiology and possibly sports management. To the same question about Notre Dame she answered that she could major in business and learn to build her brand. That struck me as sounding like what the Notre Dame recruiters told her rather than her own idea. And that is supported by the fact that in a perusal of the Notre Dame website I found 75 undergraduate degrees but none in Kinesiology.

As far as I can ascertain there is only one Notre Dame grad who majored in promoting her own "brand". Rolling Eyes

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/30/16 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's about contact in the area, don't think there are any AAU events that close to Storrs CT, pretty much like ND as far as proximity to regular activities. She has been around Texas as much as CT. ND no.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/30/16 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
I think it's about contact in the area, don't think there are any AAU events that close to Storrs CT, pretty much like ND as far as proximity to regular activities. She has been around Texas as much as CT. ND no.

I thought she played a game in Springfield, MA and visited the Huskies then. And then I thought she visited when she was in NYC for something. And of course she visited for First Night two years ago when she was a sophomore.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/30/16 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

When was she at Texas? You keep saying that but if you actually know she was ever at Texas, tell us when.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/30/16 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Walker has made two unofficial visits to UConn. She attended the 2014 First Night program at Gampel Pavilion. Then, while playing a weekend AAU tournament in New York last month [April 2016], she took a side trip to Storrs and spent a day on campus. She attended the final team dinner for the 2016 national champions as senior All-Americans Breanna Stewart (Seattle Storm), Moriah Jefferson (San Antonio Stars), and Morgan Tuck (Connecticut Sun) left to join their WNBA teams after being the top three players taken in the draft the night before.

"It was so good," Walker said. "It got emotional at the end because the seniors were leaving to go play professionally and they had to say goodbye. They appreciated what Coach Geno did for them and they absolutely loved it there.

"It made me think about the things that I want."

https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/uconn-recruiting-target-walker-ready-to-see-the-world/180794130
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/01/16 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who is us? Don't you mean you! And FYI I don't have to tell you shit. Look it up yourself, and before you start with your crap, I don't give a damn what you think, so read or don't read I don't care.

For Glenn, she was in Texas just prior at John Lucas and there were numerous pics in social media, along with her comments from articles and my own sources in TX.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/01/16 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's no way to discuss subjects like this without speculation, so I'll now speculate that Notre Dame has the slimmest chance, unless Walker was absolutely blown away on her official visit there. I base that speculation on the seeming fact that Walker has had only one campus contact with Notre Dame but has had unofficial visits to the other two schools.

In her interview, linked in my other Walker thread, she says this about Notre Dame:

Quote:
RTD: Were you nervous about taking your official visit?

MW: Out of the three official visits, this one was different because I had never visited the campus. So I was excited more than nervous about this official visit.

Small clues, but I think unofficial (= unpaid) visits show more interest in a distant school than the absence thereof.

One could also argue that the earlier in her high school career that a recruit makes an unofficial visit to a distant school, the more initial interest she had in that school as a young teenager. Of course, the reality of an early visit could either augment or extinguish the hypothetical initial interest. Then, one would have to look for later signs of interest or non-interest after the earliest visits.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/01/16 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't speculate too intelligently on the chances of Walker's signing with Texas vs. UConn because I don't know the details of all of Walker's visits to Texas.

However, UConn has a very positive looking "visit timeline" regarding the recruitment of Walker.

>> Walker first visited UConn in October 2014, early in her sophomore year, on her own dime to attend UConn's "First Night" celebration. This was a blockbuster event. The architecturally insipid Gampel Pavilion was triggering seismographs all over the northeast. UConn had just won both the women's and men's NCAA championships in April, and both banners were unfurled on First Night. Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird and Ray Allen were in attendance.

A parade of former UConn players and coaches carried out all of UConn's then 13 NC trophies (9 in WBB, 4 in MBB).

Recruits in attendance were: 2015's D'Janae Boykin (signed but later transferred), 2016's Crystal Dangerfield (signed) and Jocelyn Willoughby (signed with Virgina), and 2017's Andra Espinoza-Hunter (signed) along with 2017 Megan Walker.

The fact that Walker attended this event on her own dime so early in her career is good evidence that she's always had an interest in UConn. Because of the nature of the festivities, it's hard to imagine that Walker wasn't impressed by the "Basketball Capital of the World", as UConn styles itself on First Night.

>> Walker returns partially on her own dime in April 2016, her junior year, and attends the farewell dinner of the four-peat NC team, featuring the departure of seniors Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck, who had just gone 1-2-3 in the WNBA draft.

The dinner surely included speeches and tears praising the UConn program and coach Auriemma to the heavens. Walker admits being impressed, saying: "It got emotional at the end because the seniors were leaving to go play professionally and they had to say goodbye. They appreciated what Coach Geno did for them and they absolutely loved it there. . . . It made me think about the things that I want."

>> Walker has a home visit by Geno Auriemma -- who had just coached his second Olympic gold -- and Marisa Moseley on September 12, 2016, the beginning of her senior year, and right after she had visited Texas.

>> Walker has her official visit to UConn the very next weekend, which has been smartly arranged to include her already-signed 2017 "teammates to be", Andra Espinoza-Hunter, Lexi Gordon and Mikayla Coombs.

This seems to be a timeline evidencing strong interest and strong impressions -- some fortuitous, some well planned.

Of course, Texas's impressions on Walker could have been even stronger, and Notre Dame could possibly have been so secretly favored by Walker from the beginning that she only needed one clinching visit.

You decide.
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she is secretly in love with Stanford and is just waiting to see if somehow they can manage to admit her in spite of her grades and SAT scores, then she will spring the SURPRISE!

Wink

- Amanda Gorman
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/02/16 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think she is secretly in love with Stanford and is just waiting to see if somehow they can manage to admit her in spite of her grades and SAT scores, then she will spring the SURPRISE!

Wink

Myrtle, have you heard any news about Maya Dodson? She is down to Stanford, Notre Dame,and Tennessee. I was wondering if she was admitted to Stanford. There is a rumor that if she gets accepted, then she will commit to the Cardinal. Of course it is just a rumor.

Durantula

PostPosted: 10/02/16 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Thanks, FLVF.

To me, based on seeing her in several USAB games, Walker is a sort of very athletic but short power forward type player, who has a very mediocre outside shot. She could probably start right away on Texas and maybe even on Notre Dame. She probably has the least chance of starting right away on UConn, but she'd get lots of minutes even from the bench.

Just wondering your thoughts on where Walker fits in the rotation at UConn, compared to ND. Personally I like the young wing players ND is bringing in moreso than UConn, and I don't know if its as simple as thinking if she goes to ND she'll get to play more. Jackie Young, Marina Mabrey, and Arike Ogunbowale will all have 2-3 years of eligibility remaining when Walker enrolls. Erin Boley is a face-up 4 and is bigger than Walker but can shoot, which you say is her weakness.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/02/16 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Thanks, FLVF.

Just wondering your thoughts on where Walker fits in the rotation at UConn, compared to ND. Personally I like the young wing players ND is bringing in moreso than UConn, and I don't know if its as simple as thinking if she goes to ND she'll get to play more. Jackie Young, Marina Mabrey, and Arike Ogunbowale will all have 2-3 years of eligibility remaining when Walker enrolls. Erin Boley is a face-up 4 and is bigger than Walker but can shoot, which you say is her weakness.

I'll play, but not with much confidence.

First, I'm not much of a believer in the concept of "positions" on a basketball team. If players have the right skills, they can be flowed in a motion offense into and through many different positions on the court.

Second, I'm not sure how tall Walker really is. Her listed height of 6-1 may be an exaggeration, based on some of the photos that have been posted.

As to ND, I think Walker would have a chance at starting as a freshman in the frontcourt, along with Turner and Boley/Westbeld, if Muffet plays a two guard offense. If Muffet goes with three guards, which is very possible given their quality as shooters, Walker's odds of starting go down, but maybe she can beat out both Boley and Westbeld for the one forward spot based on her athleticism and rebounding. After the freshman year, I see Walker definitely starting on ND.

As to UConn, I don't see her starting as a freshman. She's not a guard -- unless she magically acquires a really good 3pt shot -- and I don't see her beating out the experienced Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson or Azura Stevens at forward/wing. She's better than Batouly Camara (based on high school observations) and UConn's unranked recruits. She'd probably be in the top 8 of the rotation, and would get plenty of minutes even as a freshman because of the weak opposition in WCBB, especially the AAC. Walker would still probably have a fight on her hands to start as a sophomore after Williams and Nurse graduate. She's probably a lock to start as a junior and senior.

If Walker could develop a really good 3pt shot, she'd be a lot more competitive at both schools -- for Westbeld, Williams and Collier are all weak from the arc.
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/02/16 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Wink

Myrtle, have you heard any news about Maya Dodson? She is down to Stanford, Notre Dame,and Tennessee. I was wondering if she was admitted to Stanford. There is a rumor that if she gets accepted, then she will commit to the Cardinal. Of course it is just a rumor.

lord knows we need a top recruit. Yeah, I only heard the same thing so hopefully that happens. I guess we also have a shot at PG Williams from Texas which would be nice. There are a huge number of PGs coming out in 17 so hopefully we find one of the better ones. Posts seem to be in short supply.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/02/16 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two videos of Walker:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_ayAm-yHhYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4RsPN0NKup8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
linkster

PostPosted: 10/02/16 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I seem to remember that when Maya Moore was entering her freshman year there were comments that despite being the No 1 recruit she was a "tweener" at 6'1". Too short to play in the front court and no perimeter game. Somehow between high school and UConn she developed an outside shot and the rest is history.

For elite players, learning to shoot a decent % as a spot-up 3 pt shooter is mostly a matter of putting in the work.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/02/16 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
With 56 votes, Twitter says
UConn 32%
Texas 46%
ND 22%

This is the Twitter poll conducted by the Monacan High School student newspaper. The final percentages were exactly the same with 79 votes as they were with 56 votes.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/03/16 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you're all trying to apply too much logical analysis to a decision which will arise in the mind of a teenage girl.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/03/16 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I think you're all trying to apply too much logical analysis to a decision which will arise in the mind of a teenage girl.

X________________

PostPosted: 10/03/16 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Durantula"][quote="GlennMacGrady"]Thanks, FLVF.

[/quote]

Just wondering your thoughts on where Walker fits in the rotation at UConn, compared to ND. Personally I like the young wing players ND is bringing in moreso than UConn, and I don't know if its as simple as thinking if she goes to ND she'll get to play more. Jackie Young, Marina Mabrey, and Arike Ogunbowale will all have 2-3 years of eligibility remaining when Walker enrolls. Erin Boley is a face-up 4 and is bigger than Walker but can shoot, which you say is her weakness.[/quote]

According to what? Boley is no more productive shooting wise than Walker, in fact her EYBL stats and 3 on 3 play show otherwise, I would say that Boley definitely shoots but doesn't mean she makes, Walker is much more athletic than Boley who is very much like Westbeld re foot speed.

My understanding is that Stanford leads for Dodson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: