RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will UConn have 4 losses before 2017?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/09/16 12:07 pm    ::: Will UConn have 4 losses before 2017? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/conn-w-baskbl-sched.html

Game:

#1 11/14 at FSU
#2 11/17 Baylor
#7 12/4 Tex
#8 12/7 at ND
#10 12/19 tOSU
#12 12/29 at Maryland

Last edited by cthskzfn on 09/21/16 8:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/09/16 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably not, but I think will have one, conceivably could have 2. I can't say for sure who those will be to, though.

PostPosted: 09/11/16 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they'll have at least 2 losses, as their OOC schedule is ridiculously hard.

The only weird thing about their schedule is claiming that the Texas game is neutral, as the game is at Mohegan Sun (clearly not neutral).

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/11/16 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no strong feeling as to whether they will win or lose some, all or none of those games.

This could be the most interesting UConn season since 2002-03.
Howee

PostPosted: 09/11/16 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's why they actually play the games: we won't know til they try. I could see 2, easily.... maybe 3.

PostPosted: 09/13/16 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i see this season for all of the NCAA being one of the most competitive as far as the number of teams legitimately competing for the NC. The pool of talent being relatively even among the top teams with each having both excellent talent and notable flaws will see many more close games and no one dominant team.

With that said, it is going to be very difficult to say how many loses teams will incur including UCONN. Ballpark, do I except them to go undefeated no, but do expect them to compete for a NC - yes. When they step on the floor, they will not be overmatched by any one team so anyone's game.

PostPosted: 09/13/16 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say 2 is very likely, 3 is fairly possible, 4, while possible, is unlikely.

Any one of those games could be a loss for UConn, but I'd doubt UConn loses most of them.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 09/13/16 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No. UConn will not have 4 losses by 2017, or at any point this season.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 09/13/16 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
No. UConn will not have 4 losses by 2017, or at any point this season.

Agree.
The most I see is 2, if that.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 09/17/16 7:16 am    ::: Re: Will UConn have 4 losses before 2017? Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

#1-11/14 at FSU
#2-11/17 Baylor
#7-12/4 Tex
#8-12/7 at ND
#10-12/19 tOSU
#12-12/29 at Maryland

I see two that I'm fairly confident about with Baylor and Notre Dame. Maryland and tOSU will push them for sure. My third loss for them would be tOSU.

I would rank them this way for likelihood to beat UCONN..
1. Baylor
2. Notre Dame
3. Ohio State
4. Maryland
5. Texas
6. Florida State

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/17/16 10:39 am    ::: Re: Will UConn have 4 losses before 2017? Reply Reply with quote

SCGamecock wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

#1-11/14 at FSU
#2-11/17 Baylor
#7-12/4 Tex
#8-12/7 at ND
#10-12/19 tOSU
#12-12/29 at Maryland

I see two that I'm fairly confident about with Baylor and Notre Dame. Maryland and tOSU will push them for sure. My third loss for them would be tOSU.

1. Baylor
2. Notre Dame
3. Ohio State
4. Maryland
5. Texas
6. Florida State

Two questions:

Did you know that the ND game is in South Bend but that Baylor visits UConn?

Are you the poster of the same name on the BY?

By the way, the fact that Baylor faces UConn as the first game of the season may help the Bear's cause. Anyway you look at it, UConn is a formidable opponent.

BTW, what do you think are the chances that the Gamecocks take the Huskies this season? I think that cthskzfn didn't list them because they meet later in the season, but they are obviously an elite OOC opponent.

linkster

PostPosted: 09/17/16 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Notre Dame has their usual patsy schedule in November then MM will be able to focus on the UConn game, much like Tara was able to do in 2014. I'd consider the Irish a lock at home with almost 2 months to prepare.

Unlike ND's early season cupcake schedule, UConn will be dealing with Fla. St., Baylor, DePaul & Texas prior to taravelling to S Bend, with Texas only 3 days prior to ND.

Much of UConn's consistent success has come from their efficient execution, especially on defense. Their degree of success in 2016/17 will be determined by how well and how quickly this year's squad is able to integrate their talent into a unit.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/17/16 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
, with Texas only 3 days prior to ND.

Well I'm glad to know the only reason ND lost last year was because ND had to play Ohio St only three days prior to UConn.

You must really be worried to be making lame excuses over two months early. A new record I expect.

"Much of UConn's consistent success has come from" . . . having the nos 1, 2 and 6 recruits in the country in an unusual recruiting class five years ago.

But they're gone.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 09/17/16 6:25 pm    ::: Re: Will UConn have 4 losses before 2017? Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
SCGamecock wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

#1-11/14 at FSU
#2-11/17 Baylor
#7-12/4 Tex
#8-12/7 at ND
#10-12/19 tOSU
#12-12/29 at Maryland

1. Baylor
2. Notre Dame
3. Ohio State
4. Maryland
5. Texas
6. Florida State

Two questions:

Did you know that the ND game is in South Bend but that Baylor visits UConn?

Are you the poster of the same name on the BY?

By the way, the fact that Baylor faces UConn as the first game of the season may help the Bear's cause. Anyway you look at it, UConn is a formidable opponent.

BTW, what do you think are the chances that the Gamecocks take the Huskies this season? I think that cthskzfn didn't list them because they meet later in the season, but they are obviously an elite OOC opponent.

I think Baylor will be a lot for UCONN to handle early in the season. That's why I think they lose. Notre Dame should get UCONN in South Bend as well.

I am the same poster from the BY.

If SC ever beats UCONN this year would be the year to do it.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/17/16 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

Well I'm glad to know the only reason ND lost last year was because ND had to play Ohio St only three days prior to UConn.

You must really be worried to be making lame excuses over two months early. A new record I expect.

"Much of UConn's consistent success has come from" . . . having the nos 1, 2 and 6 recruits in the country in an unusual recruiting class five years ago.

But they're gone.

Perhaps what is meant by "consistent success" covers more than just the last 4 years. 10 titles in 17 yrs indicates that what linkster says about efficient execution may be accurate. I suggest it's certainly critical to this year's young team, which, hopefully, should vastly improve from Nov. to March.

Can't wait for the season.

PostPosted: 09/17/16 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

It certainly explains some of it. UConn played a pretty crappy game and yet the only reason it wasn't a 20 point win for UConn was because the Irish freshmen were unconscious from 3, something they never duplicated again last year. Give Muffin a week to prepare and I'd bet on her every time, ... unless she is going up against Tara.

Quote:

Making lame excuses? Sir, You are confusing me with a Notre Dame fan. UConn fans have no need of excuses. Our team has lost exactly one game in the last 3 seasons. Give me a break.

Quote:
"Much of UConn's consistent success has come from" . . . having the nos 1, 2 and 6 recruits in the country in an unusual recruiting class five years ago. But they're gone.

Don't look now but there's a 1 & 6 entering their sophomore seasons and a 3 breaking in at pg. And UConn had 4 perfect seasons before that "1,2 & 6" showed up. And seven rings. There may be a short lull as the band takes a break but the party isn't over yet.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/18/16 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

But they're gone.

Perhaps what is meant by "consistent success" covers more than just the last 4 years. 10 titles in 17 yrs indicates that what linkster says about efficient execution may be accurate. I suggest it's certainly critical to this year's young team, which, hopefully, should vastly improve from Nov. to March.

UCONN will have a horrible time guarding the post against almost every team. IMO, the defensive side of the ball is where we will miss Stewart and Tuck the most. This team has been rocked by graduation, clearly. However, I think if we play small ball, which IMO, we have to, I think a team like Baylor will have a rough time guarding us.

Well coached teams are going to be the first that will beat the Huskies. Geno is probably enjoying this challenge and he will have to coach almost every play this year. We're young, but we have talent. I think Gabby Williams and Lou could really be stars, I think Kia Nurse, if she can be consistent from the perimeter can be one of the top guards in the country and if Collier makes a good sophomore leap, can blossom into a more athletic version of Morgan Tuck.

With that being said, Notre Dame is going to crush us, Ohio State and South Carolina could do the same and losses to Texas, Maryland and Florida State wouldn't surprise me.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 09/18/16 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

But they're gone.

UCONN will have a horrible time guarding the post against almost every team. IMO, the defensive side of the ball is where we will miss Stewart and Tuck the most. This team has been rocked by graduation, clearly. However, I think if we play small ball, which IMO, we have to, I think a team like Baylor will have a rough time guarding us.

Well coached teams are going to be the first that will beat the Huskies. Geno is probably enjoying this challenge and he will have to coach almost every play this year. We're young, but we have talent. I think Gabby Williams and Lou could really be stars, I think Kia Nurse, if she can be consistent from the perimeter can be one of the top guards in the country and if Collier makes a good sophomore leap, can blossom into a more athletic version of Morgan Tuck.

With that being said, Notre Dame is going to crush us, Ohio State and South Carolina could do the same and losses to Texas, Maryland and Florida State wouldn't surprise me.

Very interesting analysis. I agree with a lot of points here.. most UCONN fans I communicate with on the BY are only concerned with their ability to score points, which don't get me wrong Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson are all great scorers, but I think they will be missed most on the defensive side of the ball.

Stewart is such a matchup nightmare for any player, but in college she was just simply dominant. She's so quick and long that she disrupts everything on the court.. then you couple that with Tuck fortifying the paint who moves like a small forward with great footwork but is built like a center.. and you top all of that off with Moriah Jefferson who's so fast and deceptive that she can pick your pocket before you're even aware you once had the ball. Jefferson made GREAT guards look silly on the court and she has an insane ability to produce momentum changing plays every time the opposing team starts to regain confidence. It's uncanny the way those three could control entire games. I've seen them take good to great players completely out of their game, including a few on my team. Compared to their competition, those three were basically superhuman.

UCONN just doesn't have that this year, the huskies while still very good aren't superhuman. Samuelson is a great player, but she's no Stewart. Collier has a different game than Tuck so she's not going to be that presence inside (but I think we've only seen the beginning of how good she can really be). Kia Nurse, a great guard, has a tendency to disappear but I love the way she pressures the ball. Gabby Williams is athletic and everywhere, but she's going to have trouble if she's matched up with bigger and stronger power forwards (like the ones at Baylor, SC, Ohio State, Maryland) for too long, they're going to eat her alive. Chong at point guard? Sure, I guess. Start a freshmen in Dangerfield? She's still a freshmen.

This isn't a knock on them at all, their are questions on every team.. but I think it can't be stated enough how much the huskies are going to miss the big three from last year. Here's where I disagree, I don't think any team is going to crush UCONN in any significant way this season.. the huskies are still a very good team, but your wins won't be as easy and your losses will further emphasize the loss of that profound talent gap UCONN has feasted on the last few years.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 09/18/16 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lmao, wow some of you are wishful thinkers.

First, Williams was a better defender than Tuck and Tuck was subbed out quite often to improve Uconns defensive line up, so 3 of the better defenders, 2 from the starting 5 plus Williams return. Butler is 6'5", they didn't need her last year but she can quite easily be used as Tuck was used to bang with the few big girls in the league. Tuck missed games last year and during that period UCONN was more athletic and I expect the same this year. Stewart was a great blocker but not necessarily right under the basket where she picked up fouls. GENO sent doubles when he needed to counter this, which were very effective.

Defense will progress as it did last year into Uconns dominant defense.

Offensively, they have a player who can score numerous ways, a couple of players that can occupy anyone else's bigs They can go big and make the other team really uncomfortable or with a smaller PG who can match up with another's small PG.

They have GENO, who no one else has, so good luck with that everyone as there really aren't that many good coaches out there.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/18/16 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO the team that really needs to worry about height is ND, after seeing them struggle last year with height, its a problem and none of their recruits are taller than what they have.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/18/16 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Unlike ND's early season cupcake schedule, UConn will be dealing with Fla. St., Baylor, DePaul & Texas prior to taravelling to S Bend, with Texas only 3 days prior to ND.

ND starts with the preseason WNIT which has UW, a Final Four team from last year.

ND's tougher OOC schedule happens later in the season (Besides the two Husky teams, DePaul is the game after UConn and UT is on MLK Day. I'm guessing both UConn and UT are based on TV preferences.

Also, Iowa wasn't really a choice for ND. The ACC and Big 10 choose the matchups in the ACC/Big 10 challenge.

And remember that UConn HAS to have the tougher OOC schedule due to their conference.

Last year ND had UCLA, tOSU, and then UConn in a row, with DePaul after that for good measure. And ND had to deal with an injury in the UCLA game.

Oh, and the year before ND had to play UConn just days after playing Maryland.

So those poor Huskies have to play ND after playing tOSU. Boo hoo hoo!

Already making excuses? Months before the game?

CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/18/16 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Quote:

Don't look now but there's a 1 & 6 entering their sophomore seasons and a 3 breaking in at pg. And UConn had 4 perfect seasons before that "1,2 & 6" showed up. And seven rings. There may be a short lull as the band takes a break but the party isn't over yet.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I saw an interesting post on the Boneyard recently. Since 2000, every one of UConn's NC squads (all their NCs except 1995) had two #1 recruits. The years since 2000 where UConn had just one #1 recruit, they didn't win the NC (and in three of those seasons didn't even make the Final Four).

CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/18/16 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

But they're gone.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how long it takes UConn to adjust from last year's graduations.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 09/18/16 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Lmao, wow some of you are wishful thinkers.

First, Williams was a better defender than Tuck and Tuck was subbed out quite often to improve Uconns defensive line up, so 3 of the better defenders, 2 from the starting 5 plus Williams return. Butler is 6'5", they didn't need her last year but she can quite easily be used as Tuck was used to bang with the few big girls in the league. Tuck missed games last year and during that period UCONN was more athletic and I expect the same this year. Stewart was a great blocker but not necessarily right under the basket where she picked up fouls. GENO sent doubles when he needed to counter this, which were very effective.

Defense will progress as it did last year into Uconns dominant defense.

Offensively, they have a player who can score numerous ways, a couple of players that can occupy anyone else's bigs They can go big and make the other team really uncomfortable or with a smaller PG who can match up with another's small PG.

They have GENO, who no one else has, so good luck with that everyone as there really aren't that many good coaches out there.

Yeah, they "weren't needed." That's why they didn't play much in tougher games last year. Sure... Wink

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/18/16 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

Offensively, they have a player who can score numerous ways,
Who?

I think Notre Dame has five or six of those.

bballjunkie wrote:
a couple of players that can occupy anyone else's bigs
And who might these be?

BTW, Baylor has four posts ranging in height from 6'3" to 6'7". You think Butler matches up well against that?

I found the discussion of defense above interesting.

Last year, a very young and inexperienced freshman, Marina Mabrey, playing in only her 8th game (and with Turner not playing), completely ate up Nurse for the first half of the the UConn-ND game (21 pts in the first half). Then in the second half they put the senior Jefferson on Mabrey and she succeeded in shutting her down to only 2 more pts. But of course Jefferson is gone. So if Mabrey, or Ogunbowale, or Allen, or Patberg, or Young go off on Nurse this year, who are you going to switch to try to stop her? Chong? The 5'6" freshman? Somehow that doesn't seem likely to have the same effect as switching Jefferson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: