RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn number shock: Molly Bent gets Bird's 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/09/16 10:37 am    ::: UConn number shock: Molly Bent gets Bird's 10 Reply Reply with quote

No one had been given jersey #10 since Sue Bird graduated in 2002. Many thought Geno had retired the number sub silentio.

But Molly Bent now has it.

Who the heck is Molly Bent? Hard to know. Not much out there.

Here she is #10 (presumably) in the dark uniform:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m2VPIWa7z1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/09/16 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! It's not even April Fools Day. Geno pulling a rabbit out of the hat?

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/11/16 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hopefully the jersey has received some voodoo rhythm juju spells and Molly is bent into Sue. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/11/16 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before she was at Tabor, she played was at Barnstable High from 8th grade through her sophomore year.

She was a beast there.

I don't know much about her time at Tabor despite the school being located about 10 minutes from my house.

But given that Tabor plays a higher level of competition than a normal public high school, I can only imagine the coaches from UConn saw something special.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 09/11/16 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was a point where Geno tweeted his disdain for players listing their top schools on Twitter and which ones got eliminated rather than calling the coach and telling them themselves. Perhaps he is deviating from the norm a bit and wanting to recruit a player who wants 100% to be at UConn, as I saw on her recruiting profile that it was only UConn she considered (this could be wrong though). I read an interview where Bent said the coaches told her how they loved her work ethic and that she didn't have to worry about rankings.

Personally, I like it and think it's a breath of fresh air in the madness world of recruiting that women's basketball has become. If Geno is rewarding her, then obviously he likes what he sees.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 09/12/16 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue mentioned it at some point over the summer. It's a tradition that the new player ask the old player and she said she'd been asked. All props to Sue but if Geno let someone wear Diana's number I suspect no number is off limits.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/13/16 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not really a big deal to me, it's not like 10 is a popular number. Since 2002 I'm not sure anyone coming out of high school heading to Uconn has worn number 10.
Speebs56

PostPosted: 09/20/16 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, Tiffany Hayes wore #3 after DT left UCONN, as did Morgan Tuck. So evidently Geno has not put the number in mothballs.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 09/20/16 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Sue mentioned it at some point over the summer. It's a tradition that the new player ask the old player and she said she'd been asked. All props to Sue but if Geno let someone wear Diana's number I suspect no number is off limits.

And having read your post again, clearly my post further along is moot. Your point is well-taken (and understood this time!).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: