RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will end up as the top ranked mid major?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What mid major will be ranked first after the NCAA tourney?
Albany
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Princeton
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
James Madison
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Butler
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Green Bay
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
South Dakota
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
East Carolina
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
BYU
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Florida Gulf Coast
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Chattanooga
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
South Dakota State
56%
 56%  [ 14 ]
Someone else (who?)
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 25

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/04/16 12:13 pm    ::: Who will end up as the top ranked mid major? Reply Reply with quote

What mid major school will be ranked highest after the NCAA tourney?
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/04/16 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/04/16 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted true to my Minn-Kota roots, but My current stomping grounds boasts a Gonzaga team that could fare very well next season. They have a loaded sophomore class and were gifted with a extra year of eligibility for Elle Tinkle a key playmaker for the team two seasons back.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/04/16 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Albany won't win the America East without Shereesha Richards and with a new coach to boot. Princeton only returns one starter from last season, I don't see them winning the Ivy. Butler is NOT the team to beat in the Big East. I'd go with Villanova, DePaul or Marquette as the Beasts from the East.

South Dakota is coming off an NIT Championship run, but when you lose a player like Nicole Seekamp, along with the second leading scorer and the Coach, there are bound to be challenges in Yote country this year. Jada Payne departs for East Carolina, leaving the Pirates as a mid-major filling a 20 point per game hole. As Jada Payne went, so did the Pirates.

BYU lost Lexi Eaton Rydalch, but they have Purcell and Pulsipher returning to lead the team, it'll be interesting to watch how they re-load this year.

FGCU is really young, I'm not sure they'll win their conference this year. Whitney Knight and Atwater graduating is huge.

Chattanooga will be interesting, as Jasmine Joyner returns, but Alicia Payne who led the team in assists by some margin has departed campus.

Where is the love for Western Kentucky who beat Louisville last season? I agree that Gonzaga will be a team to watch this year, especially with the return of tinkle bells to the stands. I also think that the return of Kelly Austria for Dayton is huge--look for them to win the A-10 in the absence of Jonquel Jones from GW.

DePaul lost a lot. Podkowa, Jenkins, and Schulte have all graduated--but Jessica January will be back to haunt Queenie's beloved team.

I think that South Dakota State is the best, followed by Gonzaga and Western Kentucky. I think that there are a lot of questions to be answered by teams.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/04/16 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chattanooga isn't even going to be the best team in the SoCon, let alone being the best mid-major in the country

PostPosted: 09/04/16 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Albany won't win the America East without Shereesha Richards and with a new coach to boot. Princeton only returns one starter from last season, I don't see them winning the Ivy. Butler is NOT the team to beat in the Big East. I'd go with Villanova, DePaul or Marquette as the Beasts from the East.

South Dakota is coming off an NIT Championship run, but when you lose a player like Nicole Seekamp, along with the second leading scorer and the Coach, there are bound to be challenges in Yote country this year. Jada Payne departs for East Carolina, leaving the Pirates as a mid-major filling a 20 point per game hole. As Jada Payne went, so did the Pirates.

BYU lost Lexi Eaton Rydalch, but they have Purcell and Pulsipher returning to lead the team, it'll be interesting to watch how they re-load this year.

FGCU is really young, I'm not sure they'll win their conference this year. Whitney Knight and Atwater graduating is huge.

Chattanooga will be interesting, as Jasmine Joyner returns, but Alicia Payne who led the team in assists by some margin has departed campus.

Where is the love for Western Kentucky who beat Louisville last season? I agree that Gonzaga will be a team to watch this year, especially with the return of tinkle bells to the stands. I also think that the return of Kelly Austria for Dayton is huge--look for them to win the A-10 in the absence of Jonquel Jones from GW.

DePaul lost a lot. Podkowa, Jenkins, and Schulte have all graduated--but Jessica January will be back to haunt Queenie's beloved team.

I think that South Dakota State is the best, followed by Gonzaga and Western Kentucky. I think that there are a lot of questions to be answered by teams.

I agree with all of this. But one minor thing, I think Schulte is a senior this year.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/04/16 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

I agree with all of this. But one minor thing, I think Schulte is a senior this year.

So she is, I didn't see her the first time I glanced at the roster.

Plight, you think that it's Mercer's time to shine in the SOCON?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/04/16 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're returning everyone who played significant minutes from the team that won the regular season SoCon title last year. Expectations are high.

PostPosted: 09/04/16 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

We're returning everyone who played significant minutes from the team that won the regular season SoCon title last year. Expectations are high.

As they should be. I'm curious to see how they do this year, I'm also aware that Chattanooga is still a challenge, and can be a tough out. Although, they definitely lost some toughness last year.

rabidrabbit

PostPosted: 09/04/16 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Dakota St will return its entire starting five, pick up some strengthened bench height and speed, and have a schedule that included 6 NCAA 15-16 tourney participants, plus another 6 WNIT or other post-season tourney teams. It will be interesting to see if any other Summit League team can push them. U South Dakota should be "down" losing a good coach (to Nebraska), and a boatload of scoring seniors, especially Seekamp.

Expect Green Bay to be right in the mid-major top 5 also.

PostPosted: 09/04/16 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a side note, Schulte is back. She is a senior. We did lose a lot, but have a lot of talent coming back. We also have the best coach in the Big East. I still see us as the front runners. Villanova will be a close second.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/04/16 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still half-expecting a mid like UALR to come out of nowhere and stun us all.

Missouri State showed some promise last season, with a youthful team--but they still have to replace Tyonna Snow.

Drake has Lizzy Wendell returning for her swansong, but I'm not sure there's much support for Lizzy Wendell there for the team to be successful.

The University of Pennsylvania has a solid combo in Sydney Stipanovich and Nwokedi returning from a team that beat Duke a season ago. They open against Duke this year, so that will be a good bellwether for them.

The University of Ohio will be excellent with the return of Kiyanna Black and Quiera Lampkins to return the show.

The pieces are there for St. Mary's to succeed as they have a trio of double digit scorers returning--Raggio, Brookshire, and Beck. Lauren Nicholson is gone, but I consider St. Mary's the favorite in the WCC ahead of Gonzaga until proven otherwise.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/04/16 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that marist seems to have fallen off the radar after a very long run as one of the best mids.

no, I'm not voting for them - just a notice.

My vote is for SDSU. I think they will win a lot of games and surprise some 'bigs'.

- Amanda Gorman
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/04/16 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Interesting that marist seems to have fallen off the radar after a very long run as one of the best mids.

no, I'm not voting for them - just a notice.

My vote is for SDSU. I think they will win a lot of games and surprise some 'bigs'.

I completely looked at Marist roster and stats as well. I know they had a lot of defections a few years back.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/05/16 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jack. Rabbits. Cool

They are the 4th game of the season for my beloved Sooners, in Norman. Hopefully, it'll be a good contest to reveal which of these 2 hopefuls is readiest, early on.

PostPosted: 09/05/16 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you folks are going to concede that my two Easter eggs -- East Carolina and Butler -- are mid majors, then I should have been bolder and just put in UConn and DePaul.

The WCBB mid major polls I'm familiar with don't consider AAC or Big East teams to be mid majors.

South Dakota State seems like the cerebro-choice, but I'll go with any Ivy school as my cardio-choice.
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/05/16 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least they ran out of Quigleys.

Top half of the Big East is going to be interesting this year- DePaul, of course, but Marquette and Creighton are both young and loaded. Villanova always contends and usually spoils.

I love my Johnnies, but we graduated most of our firepower. I love my Pirates, but we graduated most of our starters.

PostPosted: 09/05/16 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
If you folks are going to concede that my two Easter eggs -- East Carolina and Butler -- are mid majors, then I should have been bolder and just put in UConn and DePaul.

FYi, Wikipedia starts it's discussion of the topic with:

"Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC, the programs of which are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison)."

But whatever, I think you have to do it conference-by-conference.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/05/16 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU lost Jaz Gwathmey (who is starting to get her feet under her in the WNBA) and Ashley Perez, but gets Precious Hall back for one more year and still has Da'Lishia Griffin and Kayla Cooper-Wiliams, Hailee Barron to shoot the 3, and Stetson transfer Amber Porter (assuming she's recovered). Logan Reynolds takes over the point from Angela Mickens, and there are some talented freshmen waiting in the wings. It should be a fairly smooth transition for new coach O'Regan......assuming no catastrophic injuries!

PostPosted: 09/05/16 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Dakota State...Macy Miller needs to develop a jump shot. Even in high school she made a living driving to the hoop..she can stop and pop from right under the basket, but I'm talking about confidently hitting from 15 feet out. On that last play against Stanford, EVERYONE watching the game who knows basketball knew that you wanted the ball in your prime time players hands, which was Macy. I think pretty much all knew she was going to drive it...especially Stanford. She got her shot easily blocked and three Cardinal players swarmed. A middle school coach could scout that from LA to NY on any given day. I believe that's the thing that holds SDSU back from going further. They will rule the Summitt League once again most likely, but the Beatty sisters and other returners from last years upstart Oral Roberts team could challenge along with USD.

rabidrabbit

PostPosted: 09/05/16 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

FYi, Wikipedia starts it's discussion of the topic with:

"Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC, the programs of which are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison)."

But whatever, I think you have to do it conference-by-conference.

CollegeInsider (MidMajor poll site) NOTE: The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast, Western Athletic.

Note that American Athletic, A-10, Big East are added to the Power 5 conferences.

PostPosted: 09/07/16 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gonzaga baby!......Jill Barta will be leading the nation in scoring and the team is just loaded...we've got the fabulous freshmen who are now sophs, we've got our Elle T. and another big back after being out all of last year....plus a new 6'4" girl coming in.....

elsie

PostPosted: 09/07/16 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you don't know much about the Lady Zags....we played 5 freshmen last year...and they were the top scorers on the team...St Mary's were gifted a win last year by inexcusable reffing ....don't expect this year will turn out the same....Zags are loaded....IF they stay healthy, I expect big things...

we lost 4 out of our last 5 games in conference and championship by 1 point...and each last shot was put up by a freshie...THAT is how confident these now sophs are...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: