RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

who wins the P12?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

the best of 16-17?
Cal
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
ASU
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
OrSU
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Stanford
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
UCLA
38%
 38%  [ 13 ]
USC
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
UTAH
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Washington
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Big Surprise! Someone else.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 34

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/01/16 3:18 pm    ::: who wins the P12? Reply Reply with quote

Should be some shifting of the power in the P12 this year. Who you got?

- Amanda Gorman
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 09/01/16 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As long as Stanford has TVD, it's just way too hard for me to pick against them. So I won't. I pick the Cardinal.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 09/01/16 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
As long as Stanford has TVD, it's just way too hard for me to pick against them. So I won't. I pick the Cardinal.

When are you going to stop being a Nervous Nellie.

I picked the Bruins.

How about an 8 Clap!!

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 09/01/16 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, in my Bruin heart I'm doing an 8 clap.

In my worried mind I'm singing "All Right Now."

LitePal

PostPosted: 09/01/16 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised people dismiss Washington so quickly. The loss of Talia Walton will hurt but they still have Kelsey Plum and Neighbors. Oregon and Oregon St. are more about coaches and cultures so you can't count them out. Tara is Tara and Stanford will always be a contender. I think UCLA still has serious questions about Coach Close's abilities. Great recruiting aside, what she's done with these players is still under review.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 09/01/16 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

When are you going to stop being a Nervous Nellie.

I picked the Bruins.

How about an 8 Clap!!

I think Nicole Kornet will be a good add for them. But, I'm picking Stanford!

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/01/16 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailee Johnson is forgoing her final season.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/02/16 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

So two seniors from a team that won 27 games decided not to play ...

This is not a good sign, especially since the two combined for 49 minutes a game. Sure, Lili Thompson is the bigger loss, but a 6-3 senior who's a solid rebounder and averaged 18.9 mpg last year is a significant loss, especially at this point.

Johnson wants to get started on her real estate investing career, the news release said. Boy, that sounds a lot more exciting than playing in the NCAA tournament ...

PostPosted: 09/02/16 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

So two seniors from a team that won 27 games decided not to play ...

This is not a good sign, especially since the two combined for 49 minutes a game. Sure, Lili Thompson is the bigger loss, but a 6-3 senior who's a solid rebounder and averaged 18.9 mpg last year is a significant loss, especially at this point.

Johnson wants to get started on her real estate investing career, the news release said. Boy, that sounds a lot more exciting than playing in the NCAA tournament ...

Ouch. Was any reason ever given for Lili's departure?

To me this seems to foreshadow the end of the Stanford Era: ever since the last Ogwumike left, the horizon has not been too bright, much like Parker's departure seems to have been the beginning of mediocrity at Tennessee.

Last edited by Howee on 09/02/16 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 09/02/16 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, yeah....My vote: Arizona! Cool

PostPosted: 09/02/16 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really Clay. I think you were one of those people who brought up how little Kailee Johnson played or even contributed to the team. She was mostly in garbage time, Kaylee Johnson is a far superior player and would be getting most of the minutes as she broke Chineys rebounding record her freshman year and Fingall is also considered in a better position than Kailee Johnson.

No loss really and the kid decided as she was not going to play or continue with basketball and is ready to graduate, she would rather start earning some bucks.

Clay thats a first for you trying to make something out of nothing Wink

Geez and I even forgot about Smith, one thing Tara does is stock the pantry.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/02/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Despite living in either Washington or Oregon the last 20+ years, I've never really gotten into the PAC. But I've recently moved to within 30 minutes of Pullman so I have great opportunities to catch some games so I'll be flowing much more intently.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/02/16 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Really Clay. I think you were one of those people who brought up how little Kailee Johnson played or even contributed to the team. She was mostly in garbage time, Kaylee Johnson is a far superior player and would be getting most of the minutes as she broke Chineys rebounding record her freshman year and Fingall is also considered in a better position than Kailee Johnson.

No loss really and the kid decided as she was not going to play or continue with basketball and is ready to graduate, she would rather start earning some bucks.

Kaylee Johnson is a better player, and I don't think Kailee is great. She played 18.9 mpg for a very good team last year, however, and she played those minutes because she delivered more to the team than those who played less.

By itself, Kailee's loss is not that big a deal, but coupled with Lili's departure, it

a) does hurt the team as the starting point guard and a rotation player are gone (which would hurt any team);

b) has to raise some questions about team morale/chemistry, because it's not that often that the starting point guard and a rotation player both opt not to play as seniors for a quality P5 team that had a good chance to win its conference this year.

PostPosted: 09/03/16 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tara is really in love with Bird, so that may create some resentment. I don't know if that is true or not but I do know Tara goes on and on about her (McCall) and clearly she (Tara) thinks she (McCall) is the key. Of course even if you have a stud, that stud needs supporting players. Lili, for all her ability, did tend to play me-ball at times and I'm guessing that caused some grating between her and coach. Again, I know nothing - just my observations.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/03/16 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Kaylee Johnson is a better player, and I don't think Kailee is great. She played 18.9 mpg for a very good team last year, however, and she played those minutes because she delivered more to the team than those who played less.

By itself, Kailee's loss is not that big a deal, but coupled with Lili's departure, it

a) does hurt the team as the starting point guard and a rotation player are gone (which would hurt any team);

b) has to raise some questions about team morale/chemistry, because it's not that often that the starting point guard and a rotation player both opt not to play as seniors for a quality P5 team that had a good chance to win its conference this year.

Wow, such great interest in Stanford, maybe Gabby Green leaving Cal who was the best passer on the team got you all riled up. Wink

FYI Thompson was not the PG, that was Sniezek with Roberson backing her up, Tara though Thompson held on to the ball too much which was probably not welcomed by The Thompsons. And apparently there is quite the camaraderie on the team according the faithful boosters and recent social media etc. and Tara has mellowed quite a bit over the last couple of years. Go figure.

Kailee Johnson played 6 mins in the ND game so it depends on your interpretation of rotation LOL. She is leaving early to earn money, and was complimentary about her time at Stanford unlike Thompson, so basically the 2 are unrelated

But go ahead Clay knock yourself out.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/03/16 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon landed that quirky Ionescu. That alone should have earned them a nomination.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/04/16 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Oregon landed that quirky Ionescu. That alone should have earned them a nomination.

Of the 'others' Oregon is the one which is intriguing. We will see how their new kids, including several bigs, can integrate into the new system. Bando and Cazorla are solid. If Ionescu is 'all that' and if they can get a Frosh big to step up, they can definitely compete...but it would be a stretch for such a young team to actually win the conference. They certainly stocked up on bigs in hopes one or more can actually play.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/04/16 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Wow, such great interest in Stanford, maybe Gabby Green leaving Cal who was the best passer on the team got you all riled up. Wink

FYI Thompson was not the PG, that was Sniezek with Roberson backing her up, Tara though Thompson held on to the ball too much which was probably not welcomed by The Thompsons. And apparently there is quite the camaraderie on the team according the faithful boosters and recent social media etc. and Tara has mellowed quite a bit over the last couple of years. Go figure.

Kailee Johnson played 6 mins in the ND game so it depends on your interpretation of rotation LOL. She is leaving early to earn money, and was complimentary about her time at Stanford unlike Thompson, so basically the 2 are unrelated

But go ahead Clay knock yourself out.

Lili Thompson led Stanford in assists, though Sniezek had more assists per minute, so though Sniezek and others may have been the point guards, Thompson still had 3.5 assists per game and did distribute the ball some.

And maybe the two losses of seniors were unrelated, though it's unusual enough to draw some comment.

And the fact that Johnson only play 6 minutes against Notre Dame ignores the fact that she averaged nearly 19 minutes a game all year. If the coach plays a particular player for 19 minutes pretty much every time out, that player must be doing something right.

And as for Gabby Green, absolutely Cal will miss her. That said, Cal's biggest weakness isn't passing, is outside shooting, and Green was not very good in that department.

PostPosted: 09/05/16 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Soo---rephrasing my question: there IS no definitive reason given to Lili's departure? Is she transferring, or just 'done'?

PostPosted: 09/05/16 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's not transferring. She's graduating from Stanford. Her dad is acting as her spokesperson. I wonder what that means.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/05/16 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's certainly possible she shows up somewhere for her 4th year of eligibility as a grad student.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: