RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pat Summitt's Will
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/25/16 9:14 am    ::: Pat Summitt's Will Reply Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2016/08/25/pat-summitt-will-son-tyler-tennessee-volunteers-womens-basketball/89319466/

bucks4now

PostPosted: 08/26/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprise. Where is Tyler living now?

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

After the way he torpedoed his career, likely his marriage and put at least a little bit of mud on his mother's career, his likely address is "his own personal hell".
dtrain34

PostPosted: 08/26/16 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

After the way he torpedoed his career, likely his marriage and put at least a little bit of mud on his mother's career, his likely address is "his own personal hell".

Good thing he inherited what was likely millions then. Confused

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/26/16 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

Good thing he inherited what was likely millions then. Confused

I read elsewhere that Pat designated Tyler a non-spousal survivor beneficiary of her Tennessee pension and that he will receive an annuity payment of about $15,000 plus COLA every month for the rest of his life.

Not bad. Will go a long way in East Tennessee.

ridor

PostPosted: 08/27/16 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Won't surprise me that he's somewhere around Murfreesboro, Tenn - and sooner or later, we will see Rick Insell giving him another chance at coaching by hiring him as assistant coach at MTU or recommend him as coach or something at some local HS girls basketball team. After all, Insell owed Pat his successes ...

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/27/16 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Won't surprise me that he's somewhere around Murfreesboro, Tenn - and sooner or later, we will see Rick Insell giving him another chance at coaching by hiring him as assistant coach at MTU or recommend him as coach or something at some local HS girls basketball team. After all, Insell owed Pat his successes ...

Colossally bad idea.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/27/16 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
ridor wrote:

Colossally bad idea.

Yeah, he should probably try to coach on the men's side. He obviously cannot be trusted around young women. If he gets involved with HS girls, he could end up in jail.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/27/16 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ya know, some people actually DO learn from their mistakes. Not everyone who f***s up does it over and over.

PostPosted: 08/27/16 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ya know, some people actually DO learn from their mistakes. Not everyone who f***s up does it over and over.

I understand that, but his indiscretion wasn't based upon a single bad decision brought on by an alcohol-induced haze. He made a very deliberate decision to get involved with his player and then even brought the young woman to his new coaching gig. I think the deliberate nature of his "mistake" indicates that he may not be good for coaching young women. I think the fact that he is married is somewhat irrelevant, but also indicates a bit about his moral fiber. It seems prudent to have him coach men, not women, where the temptation would be restricted to young women who are not under his supervision. There is a power dynamic there that he should never have taken advantage of.

Last edited by Fighting Artichoke on 08/27/16 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ridor

PostPosted: 08/27/16 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agreed that it is bad idea for Tyler Summitt to come back but my guts said people like Rick Insell will bring him back. The collegiate women's basketball world is filled with people who scratched each other's backs when needed.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 08/27/16 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem with having Summitt coach men is that he isn't likely a terribly awesome coach to start with. He hung out with his mom, got a "he's-HER-son" gig at Marquette and another at LaTech.

Where's the beef?

And in the 21st, even a place that hired him to coach men would face protests as to what example such a hire sets for young men already part of an athlete cohort presumed to disrespect women (not necessarily by me, but by society).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/27/16 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some conduct simply disqualifies you from certain jobs. You don't get a second chance.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 08/27/16 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Setting aside the question of whether or not Tyler would ever actually *deserve* a second chance, I just don't know who wants to be the first AD to stick his/her neck out for a women's basketball coach who-- allegedly-- knocked up one of his own players at his previous job. What exactly is the payoff to the program (or to the athletic department as a whole) that's worth enduring the ignominy?

With a (disgraced) elite football coach or men's b-ball coach, an AD's calculus might be different: "if we can just weather the initial wave of public shame, this coach can deliver wins and thus generate dollars for our department." But Tyler Summitt a) isn't elite, and b) coaches a sport that isn't a revenue-generator, even under the best of circumstances.

If it works out the same either way, I imagine that most AD's would prefer to lose department revenue with a WBB coach who *isn't* a public laughingstock.

As far as hiring Tyler to coach guys... why would you? Is there a sudden dearth of ambitious young dudes grinding away in the men's basketball coaching profession, such that Tyler Summitt is the last option available? He's got no experience coaching men, no experience recruiting men, probably no relationships on the boys' side of the AAU circuit, or anywhere else in the MBB world on any level. So what exactly is he bringing to the table?

If I'm an AD or a head coach looking to fill out a staff, I gotta imagine I'll be seeing better resumes than Tyler's.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 08/28/16 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

with the monies left to him by his mother my guess is he will either use the degree he got at Tenn (with honors), go into banking like his father, or work in the business world...his father I am sure has MANY contacts for Tyler to use...

i did notice at Pat's public memorial service shown in TV that he had his wedding ring on, but his wife was not sitting the family row...

i am only thankful that Pat was not aware or could comprehend with her advanced stage of dementia the shame he brought upon her name...his act was SELFISH and a total disregard for his upbringing by Pat!

if Tyler was in the public K-12 educational setting he would not get a second chance EVER, as teachers and coaches are and should be held to a higher standard...having an affair with ANY athlete no matter what their age is (consenting or not) is never allowed for a moral person...let alone cheat on your spouse, partner or significant other...once a cheater most likely always a cheater...

if it seems to too good to be true it usually is...Tyler's profession of his Christian morels and super clean image was a red flag and most of us chose to over look...i live less then 30 minutes form Marquette and rumors were already out there when he as at Marquette!

bucks4now

PostPosted: 08/28/16 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:

if Tyler was in the public K-12 educational setting he would not get a second chance EVER, as teachers and coaches are and should be held to a higher standard...having an affair with ANY athlete no matter what their age is (consenting or not) is never allowed for a moral person...let alone cheat on your spouse, partner or significant other...once a cheater most likely always a cheater...

!

Are you kidding me? If he was in the public schools, he would have the unions fighting for him. He would have gone on paid leave while the union demand him keep his job. He would still be teaching.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/28/16 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems perfectly normal that Pat would leave it all to him. Of course he will get to share it with the wife or ex-wife whichever she chooses to be. My guess is he will eventually get another chance at coaching...once he serves out his 'sentence' for wrongdoing. Kinda like the prison system. Depending on the crime, you serve time then you get a second chance. You can debate whether or not his 'sentence' was severe enough (in this case losing his job and being publicly embarrassed and perhaps losing his wife) , but we don't typically execute consenting adults, even when it is between a 'boss' and his subordinate. We do typically find them guilty if the subordinate proves sexual harassment, which should be easy to do in this case...but I haven't heard anything about the woman filing such a case. If one strike and you're out applies, then why is Pokey still coaching?

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/28/16 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

!

Are you kidding me? If he was in the public schools, he would have the unions fighting for him. He would have gone on paid leave while the union demand him keep his job. He would still be teaching.

That doesn't happen in California, at least. The unions won't support teachers who commit those kinds of acts.

PostPosted: 08/28/16 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It seems perfectly normal that Pat would leave it all to him. Of course he will get to share it with the wife or ex-wife whichever she chooses to be. My guess is he will eventually get another chance at coaching...once he serves out his 'sentence' for wrongdoing. Kinda like the prison system. Depending on the crime, you serve time then you get a second chance. You can debate whether or not his 'sentence' was severe enough (in this case losing his job and being publicly embarrassed and perhaps losing his wife) , but we don't typically execute consenting adults, even when it is between a 'boss' and his subordinate. We do typically find them guilty if the subordinate proves sexual harassment, which should be easy to do in this case...but I haven't heard anything about the woman filing such a case. If one strike and you're out applies, then why is Pokey still coaching?

Unlike armed robbery or securities fraud or perjury, sex related offenses don't seem to get "serve your time and we'll forget about it" treatment.
You get convicted of any kind of sex related crime and you end up having to register as a sex offender for life. And look at the reaction here to Isaiah Thomas being hired by the Liberty which continues irrespective of the time passed or of the suit against him personally having been dismissed.

I think if you're a college coach and knock up one of your student players, you're done permanently coaching college or high school girls.

I expect he can coach in the pros where he would be coaching adult women, but he's done dealing with teenagers. Permanently.

As likely is Pokey.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/28/16 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:

i am only thankful that Pat was not aware or could comprehend with her advanced stage of dementia the shame he brought upon her name

What makes you think this?

I think it's highly likely she knew and understood this. And was likely very disappointed.

He's still her only son. What did you expect her to do. Disinherit him?

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 08/28/16 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I expect he can coach in the pros where he would be coaching adult women...

That's a good point and this I could see. Someone in the professional ranks from the Pat Summitt coaching tree having mercy on the guy and giving him a (very-low-level) break. That could maybe happen. But I agree with Art that his college coaching career is probably done.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/29/16 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

First sensible comment I've read. Thank you. It seems most folks don't believe in either redemption or forgiveness.....for anything. I hope their houses are all clean as clean. We can all say, well, I've never done THAT, and most of us haven't, but we've all done shit we're not proud of and maybe even could have got in some serious trouble for and didn't. Only one person was ever perfect, and look where it got him!

PostPosted: 08/29/16 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I expect he can coach in the pros where he would be coaching adult women, but he's done dealing with teenagers. Permanently.

As likely is Pokey.

If Pokey Chatman wanted to go back to college coaching she would have plenty of offers.

PostPosted: 08/29/16 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:

First sensible comment I've read. Thank you. It seems most folks don't believe in either redemption or forgiveness.....for anything. I hope their houses are all clean as clean. We can all say, well, I've never done THAT, and most of us haven't, but we've all done shit we're not proud of and maybe even could have got in some serious trouble for and didn't. Only one person was ever perfect, and look where it got him!

I think you should definitely write your local school board and tell them to rehire all the gym teachers who have been fired for touching little girls. Maybe you could go door-to-door with a petition. Plainly they deserve forgiveness. Let us know how that goes. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/29/16 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

As likely is Pokey.

If Pokey Chatman wanted to go back to college coaching she would have plenty of offers.

Now that's an interesting assertion ... I don't think we'll ever get to find out if it's true.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: