RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pat Summitt's Will
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitePal

PostPosted: 08/29/16 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As always, the way someone looks at this situation depends on your own personal biases. The fact that his name is Summitt certainly has a lot to do with it, in all regards.

ridor

PostPosted: 08/29/16 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come to think of this, I think Pokey would be excellent coach for Loyola-Chicago where Sheryl was fired.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 08/29/16 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
It seems most folks don't believe in either redemption or forgiveness.....for anything. I hope their houses are all clean as clean. We can all say, well, I've never done THAT, and most of us haven't, but we've all done shit we're not proud of and maybe even could have got in some serious trouble for and didn't.

Again, speaking pragmatically-- not morally-- I just don't see how the above angle helps convince a future AD to someday give Tyler Summitt another chance to work with girls or young women:

AD: "Now, is it true that you impregnated a player at your previous gig?"
Summitt: "Oh, like you're so perfect?!"

What's the payoff, for that AD? In what specific way does the program or the department benefit from Summitt's hiring, and how does that benefit outweigh the ignominy?

LitePal

PostPosted: 08/29/16 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

His record was around .500, he was accused of player favoritism (guess which one) and he wrapped his entire tenure up with Biblical quotes. Sounds like a good hire to me.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/30/16 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
His record was around .500, he was accused of player favoritism (guess which one) and he wrapped his entire tenure up with Biblical quotes. Sounds like a good hire to me.

I could remind you that the team he started out with had languished in the cellar of its conference for several years with a record of about .250-.297. So he actually did improve them, and had garnered some quality recruits (who have since decamped to elsewhere) before crashing and burning. I'm not defending what caused him to crash and burn, but---there is a basic truism that it takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program. He'd made a decent start. Let's see if the new coach can do anything with them, or if they will return to relative obscurity.

PostPosted: 08/30/16 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And I could remind you that his program went backwards in his second season with complete upheaval amongst team morale. Diddling his mistress while quoting scripture would be a primary red flag. Despite lip service, sometimes colleges feel other things are more important than a win/loss record

Since you've already claimed you know him and have a Tennessee avatar, I'll repeat my earlier assertion that personal biases will always flavor reactions to situations like this.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/30/16 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Diddling his mistress while quoting scripture

Clearly this isn't a funny topic or one to take lightly, but I have to admit to chuckling at this.

And back to something above...he is going to get $15K/month for the rest of his life?!?!? Wow. Just wow.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/30/16 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Clearly this isn't a funny topic or one to take lightly, but I have to admit to chuckling at this.

And back to something above...he is going to get $15K/month for the rest of his life?!?!? Wow. Just wow.

$15,000 a month with a cost of living adjustment.

That's worth a double wow.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 08/31/16 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

from an earlier post by artbest3...i am the union president for my school district and no tyler would not have kept his coaching job...extra-curricular is not the same as a teaching position when it comes to union representation, especially if he was not a certified teacher in the district...tyler does not have an education degree...non certified teachers who work or coach in a district are not apart of the teachers' union and they are not eligible for it...

if he were a certified teacher or even tenured teacher, those who break district policy or civil law will be terminated...lying is also a form of insubordination and grounds for firing, at least in IL...the union can fight for a certified teacher but would lose....

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/31/16 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
LitePal wrote:

That is insane! Basically, he can sleep all day & party all night for the rest of his life and never have to work.

Are there any stipulations to this, something like he has to live in Tennessee, not commit a felony, etc?

bucks4now

PostPosted: 08/31/16 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
LitePal wrote:

That is insane! Basically, he can sleep all day & party all night for the rest of his life and never have to work.

Are there any stipulations to this, something like he has to live in Tennessee, not commit a felony, etc?

Why, if it's Pat's money. She earned it, she worked hard. She choose to leave it to him.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/31/16 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

Why, if it's Pat's money. She earned it, she worked hard. She choose to leave it to him.

It's a pension. It's not like leaving a savings account to him. I didn't know if there were stipulations affiliated with that.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 08/31/16 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

It's a pension. It's not like leaving a savings account to him. I didn't know if there were stipulations affiliated with that.

Doesn't one pay into pensions? hence, it's her money. If you have a problem with that, then that is a "labor" issue.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/31/16 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

Doesn't one pay into pensions? hence, it's her money. If you have a problem with that, then that is a "labor" issue.

It's a defined benefit pension plan, not a 401(k) or other defined contribution plan. She probably didn't contribute, but she certainly did earn it. It was part of her compensation for decades.

The huge expense of defined benefit pension plans is why they are becoming extinct. But with that is an enormous loss in retirement security for American workers.

She was paid a lot so her pension is substantial. It's unusual but not unheard of to have such a generous non-spousal benefit election available, but these provisions have a good reason which is to enable parents who may be responsible for the care of a disabled child to provide for the child's care after the parent dies by accepting a reduction in their own pension payments during their life. The amounts are all actuarily determined in accordance with the pension plan.

The optics end up looking strange here because she was a high earner who died young (so the amount is large and he gets it when he's still young and potentially for a very long time) and because the child is fully capable of earning a living on his own. So the situation is unusual and he makes out amazingly well, but there's nothing wrong or unfair about it. Anyone else who is part of the same U of Tenn pension plan and started emplyment back when she did could do the same thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if these benefits have been scaled back or eliminated over time for people who started work at Tenn more recently than Pat did. But for someone who worked her entire life at one employer beginning in an era of generous defined benefit pension plans, a generous pension is not unique.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 08/31/16 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

It's a defined benefit pension plan, not a 401(k) or other defined contribution plan. She probably didn't contribute, but she certainly did earn it. It was part of her compensation for decades.

The huge expense of defined benefit pension plans is why they are becoming extinct. But with that is an enormous loss in retirement security for American workers.

She was paid a lot so her pension is substantial. It's unusual but not unheard of to have such a generous non-spousal benefit election available, but these provisions have a good reason which is to enable parents who may be responsible for the care of a disabled child to provide for the child's care after the parent dies by accepting a reduction in their own pension payments during their life. The amounts are all actuarily determined in accordance with the pension plan.

The optics end up looking strange here because she was a high earner who died young (so the amount is large and he gets it when he's still young and potentially for a very long time) and because the child is fully capable of earning a living on his own. So the situation is unusual and he makes out amazingly well, but there's nothing wrong or unfair about it. Anyone else who is part of the same U of Tenn pension plan and started emplyment back when she did could do the same thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if these benefits have been scaled back or eliminated over time for people who started work at Tenn more recently than Pat did. But for someone who worked her entire life at one employer beginning in an era of generous defined benefit pension plans, a generous pension is not unique.

Yeah, what he said!

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/31/16 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

Where did I say I had a problem with it? Chill the eff out. Rolling Eyes

And like Art said, you really don't pay into pensions. But she clearly earned it after all those years.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 08/31/16 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

Where did I say I had a problem with it? Chill the eff out. Rolling Eyes

And like Art said, you really don't pay into pensions. But she clearly earned it after all those years.

Geez, I don't know, maybe "That is insane"...

Howee

PostPosted: 08/31/16 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't have any pony in this election. But. Do some thinking here, folks.

The monthly stipend he's getting is probably just icing on the Fat Cake his mother left him, considering all the other wealth she'd amassed. GOOD FOR HIM. Wealthy people do this kind of bequeathing all the time....y'all didn't think Pat was a pauper, didjya?

Re: Tyler's future? God bless him. Yes, he's created some problems for himself and others, but....we ALL have, at some time or another before we're dead. The big difference is that most of us AREN'T public figures, or the offspring of Legends.

If he REALLY wanted to show he was Pat's son (and that's a Tall Order, to create a legacy to follow hers) he might use his wealth to make amends. He certainly could do many things with it that would honor his mother's legacy in The Game. Things like charitable efforts to grow the game in poorer areas, or providing scholarships for more kids in the game....this could happen.

I have a feeling he's experienced more remorse already than most of us might have to in our lifetimes. Fortunately, I don't have to judge him.

Re: Pokey? I really wish she DID come back to the college game. Cool

PostPosted: 08/31/16 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about Pat's mom? She's still alive, right?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/01/16 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

i am only thankful that Pat was not aware or could comprehend with her advanced stage of dementia the shame he brought upon her name

What makes you think this?

I think it's highly likely she knew and understood this. And was likely very disappointed.

He's still her only son. What did you expect her to do. Disinherit him?

Having unfortunately been through this disease with my mom, it's HIGHLY likely Pat could not comprehend what happened. I distinctly remember wondering if Pat was already passed the point of comprehension when it happened. Then when she died relatively not long after, I was certain. This is due to knowing how this disease progresses. The person stops inhabiting the body a good while before physical death happens. And apparently, this genetically linked early onset Alzheimer's progresses a LOT faster than when it happens at the more usual time of 80's or 90's.

Also, I'm quite sure Pat took care of her will when she was still of sound mind. It would be highly unusual for her power of attorney to change the will when Pat became unable to convey her wishes.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/01/16 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

i am only thankful that Pat was not aware or could comprehend with her advanced stage of dementia the shame he brought upon her name

What makes you think this?

I think it's highly likely she knew and understood this. And was likely very disappointed.

He's still her only son. What did you expect her to do. Disinherit him?

Having unfortunately been through this disease with my mom, it's HIGHLY likely Pat could not comprehend what happened. I distinctly remember wondering if Pat was already passed the point of comprehension when it happened. Then when she died relatively not long after, I was certain. This is due to knowing how this disease progresses. The person stops inhabiting the body a good while before physical death happens. And apparently, this genetically linked early onset Alzheimer's progresses a LOT faster than when it happens at the more usual time of 80's or 90's.

Also, I'm quite sure Pat took care of her will when she was still of sound mind. It would be highly unusual for her power of attorney to change the will when Pat became unable to convey her wishes.

As they say, “When you've met one person with Alzheimer's disease, you've met one person with Alzheimer's disease."

ridor

PostPosted: 09/01/16 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is quite baffling that Pat was very healthy and is kind of person who takes care of her health, mind and appearance and she died at 64 while I know many ones who drank, smoked and does not take care of themselves very well lived much longer than 85.

Life is quite unfair to begin with.

LitePal

PostPosted: 09/02/16 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd argue that the stress of Summitt's job, plus the pressure she put on herself could definitely have been a factor.

ridor

PostPosted: 09/02/16 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stress? I find it hard to believe that as a millionaire, to coach is to stress oneself. It looks so fun and so easy until Geno arrived. Oh, well. Geno killed Pat, one could say that.

R-

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/02/16 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I really don't have any pony in this election. But. Do some thinking here, folks.

The monthly stipend he's getting is probably just icing on the Fat Cake his mother left him, considering all the other wealth she'd amassed. GOOD FOR HIM. Wealthy people do this kind of bequeathing all the time....y'all didn't think Pat was a pauper, didjya?

Re: Tyler's future? God bless him. Yes, he's created some problems for himself and others, but....we ALL have, at some time or another before we're dead. The big difference is that most of us AREN'T public figures, or the offspring of Legends.

If he REALLY wanted to show he was Pat's son (and that's a Tall Order, to create a legacy to follow hers) he might use his wealth to make amends. He certainly could do many things with it that would honor his mother's legacy in The Game. Things like charitable efforts to grow the game in poorer areas, or providing scholarships for more kids in the game....this could happen.

I have a feeling he's experienced more remorse already than most of us might have to in our lifetimes. Fortunately, I don't have to judge him.

Re: Pokey? I really wish she DID come back to the college game. Cool

Very considered, and considerate, reply, Howee. You and rAf certainly see a bigger picture. A few others to some extent. I'm sure Pat provided for Miss Hazel. She loved her mother very much. Also for her brothers and sisters. But everyone's so focused on Tyler because he got such a big bequest. Well, he was her only child surely that counts for something, also I'm sure she made her will back when she was of sound mind. End of story.

I doubt if Tyler knows what he's going to do yet. It hasn't been that long and he's got a lot to deal with and work through. It appears that he is trying his best to stay out of the public eye, for which who can blame him? I think any halfway sane person would and he should be given some space.

Some of the rest of you, just have another slice of that schadenfreude pie since you seem to enjoy it so much.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pokey back in college coaching either....just maybe not at LSU! Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: