RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Recruiting Anastasia Hayes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/14/16 12:40 pm    ::: Recruiting Anastasia Hayes Reply Reply with quote

2017 PG Anastacia Hayes, Riverdale HS Murfeesboro, TN, recently announced her final six schools, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&m, Florida, and Kentucky. academics plays a role in Hayes decision as she wants to go in orthodontics but location to family is importAnt as well. In fact, of the six SEC programs, the final four on my listing above have not only offered Anastasia but they've extended offers to her siblings as well (Aislynn, sophomore; Alasia, freshman; Acasia, seventh). That would be quite the sister act. Anyone familiar with the RiverdAle program? Are all the Hayes girls that good.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/2016/08/10/riverdale-star-anastasia-hayes-comments-her-six-finalists---all-sec/88500520/

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/14/16 1:15 pm    ::: Re: Recruiting Anastasia Hayes Reply Reply with quote

Well, it's either

NoDakSt wrote:
Are all the Hayes girls that good.

Or, is one of them so good that four schools are willing to give scholarships to all four in order to try to get the one?

Excuse my cynicism. . . or should that be "realism"? Wink

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/14/16 1:28 pm    ::: Re: Recruiting Anastasia Hayes Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
2017 PG Anastacia Hayes, Riverdale HS Murfeesboro, TN, recently announced her final six schools, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&m, Florida, and Kentucky. academics plays a role in Hayes decision as she wants to go in orthodontics but location to family is importAnt as well. In fact, of the six SEC programs, the final four on my listing above have not only offered Anastasia but they've extended offers to her siblings as well (Aislynn, sophomore; Alasia, freshman; Acasia, seventh). That would be quite the sister act. Anyone familiar with the RiverdAle program? Are all the Hayes girls that good.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/2016/08/10/riverdale-star-anastasia-hayes-comments-her-six-finalists---all-sec/88500520/

I believe that's the program Tennessee's Alexa Middleton came out of. She could play a role in recruiting her.

PostPosted: 08/14/16 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The scuttlebutt on VolNation is that the younger sisters are very good prospects. Whether they're worthy of an offer now, or expected to become worthy in the next 3 years is questionable, IMHO.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 08/15/16 9:27 am    ::: Re: Recruiting Anastasia Hayes Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Anyone familiar with the RiverdAle program? /

In addition to Alexa Middleton, Shocobia Barbee also went to Riverdale. They have been pretty good from what I recall recently. Riverdale was one of the participants in a game where both teams attempted to lose the game in order to get more favorable seeding in the state tournament. The teams were suspended and Riverdale's coach was fired.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 08/16/16 11:17 am    ::: Re: Recruiting Anastasia Hayes Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

I like that her top six are all SEC schools. She's the type of offensive player the league needs.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/06/16 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone so open about demanding scholarships for their siblings. This is usually done a little more quietly.

Guess it doesn't bother anyone in the SEC.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/17438935/elite-women-basketball-recruit-anastasia-hayes-shopping-sisters

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/06/16 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting how some folks have such a bug up their butt about a particular conference. Guess the one their alma mater is now located in NEVER does anything wrong.

PostPosted: 09/06/16 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Interesting how some folks have such a bug up their butt about a particular conference. Guess the one their alma mater is now located in NEVER does anything wrong.

Hmmmm. Six SEC teams, and ONLY SEC teams, vying to see who can outbid the other five for an entire family, but I guess I should have blamed the PAC or the BigTen for having no shame whatsoever.

Yeah. That makes perfect sense. Rolling Eyes

Well there was no attempt to defend or justify it, so at least there's that.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/06/16 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jeez. I'll admit, I'm pretty sure St. John's tried to play the long sibling game with the Sidneys, but that turned out to be such epic fail that we don't talk about it. But we only offered one to maybe get one younger. Basically committing yourselves to ten years of one family seems like quite a commitment. I can see why that's sketchy.

(I can also imagine what might happen when a high-handed demand meets a stubborn coach.

"So what are you waiting for?"

"For you to get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.")

PostPosted: 09/07/16 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, when you hire daddy Mitchell, at least you know what you're getting. You have his resume. You know his coaching background and reputation. You know if he's going to be able to help you. He's actually a known quantity as a coach. You might not have hired him but for his daughter, but you know exactly what you're getting.

But promising a free ride for four or five years of school to a 12 year old? You're obviously not doing it on merit. You have no idea what she'll turn out to be or what the other options for that scholarship might be five years from now. It's a total gift. Maybe if it turns out she can play you'll get something for your money eight years from now, but there's absolutely no pretense about what's actually going on.

That half the conference has in unison stood up without hesitation and said "we're good to go" is quite remarkable.

I'm not terribly bothered by it in concept, if that's how they choose to use up their scholarships, but I am surprised nobody said "no thanks, we're not playing that game." And I do find this much worse than the Mitchell thing. Four scholarships for one player? A ten year commitment? Wow.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/07/16 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Riverdale is a national power, and probably will start the season ranked in the top 10. (A couple years ago, of course, they purposely threw a game in the state playoffs to avoid playing the top team at that time.)

One thing to note: Women's teams have 15 scholarships, men only 13. How often does number 14 on the roster get on the court?

Last edited by ClayK on 09/17/16 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/07/16 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, I've seen several articles about the Riverdale teams that suggest the youngest Hayes girl is likely to be the best of the bunch. And it's hard to know what will happen in the next 5 years. One or more may get injured or decide to play soccer full-time or not be that good and decide to go to a mid-major instead of sitting on an SEC bench or have a great GPA and get an academic scholly at Harvard.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/07/16 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's 12 years old.

Res ipsa loquitur.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/07/16 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
FWIW, I've seen several articles about the Riverdale teams that suggest the youngest Hayes girl is likely to be the best of the bunch. And it's hard to know what will happen in the next 5 years. One or more may get injured or decide to play soccer full-time or not be that good and decide to go to a mid-major instead of sitting on an SEC bench or have a great GPA and get an academic scholly at Harvard.

....or be SOOO good she goes straight to Oklahoma. (or UConn) Especially the youngest, who has so many years before she even should be thinking about college. I'd say the PARENTS should be the final arbiters here, who enforce, "Each daughter, on her own merit."

But. What do I know? Razz

PostPosted: 09/17/16 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW: South Carolina didn't offer the Hayes sisters. But we are recruiting Alasia.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/17/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another TN player, Treasure Hunt, who has just started her freshman year of HS, has already reportedly received multiple offers from SEC teams. I think this type of thing has really gotten out of hand. It puts way too much pressure and notoriety on children. I'd favor a system where recruiting, to include player contact and offers, doesn't start until the junior year of HS or age 16, and the player can't commit until their senior year. This latter part would allow kids to gain some maturity before making an important decision.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/16 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Another TN player, Treasure Hunt, who has just started her freshman year of HS, has already reportedly received multiple offers from SEC teams. I think this type of thing has really gotten out of hand. It puts way too much pressure and notoriety on children. I'd favor a system where recruiting, to include player contact and offers, doesn't start until the junior year of HS or age 16, and the player can't commit until their senior year. This latter part would allow kids to gain some maturity before making an important decision.

Okay, what's her real name?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/17/16 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6MyLDN9vg0

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/17/16 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Okay, what's her real name?

It... wouldn't surprise me if her parents thought that was just adorable. I swear, I think some parents forget they're naming a tiny human, not a doll.

PostPosted: 09/18/16 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^ A thousand times!

I *SO* agree with you. And I wish the NCAA would do something about it. Aside from that, if that's really her name, her parents ought to be smacked.

PostPosted: 09/18/16 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^ A thousand times!

I *SO* agree with you. And I wish the NCAA would do something about it. Aside from that, if that's really her name, her parents ought to be smacked.

And what exactly do you want? Give us the text of the rule you propose.

Players can't commit until their senior year now. Until November of their senior year, as a matter of fact. There is no such thing as a commitment before then.

Oh, and there's no real "offers" either. An "offer" to an 8th grader is a coach telling a kid and her parents "don't worry, I'm going to give a real offer to your kid in four years. Unless I decide not to."

All these "verbals" are nothing more than a statement by a player that "as of this moment in time, my current thinking is that I intend to commit to X school when commit time gets here, unless of course I change my mind tonight or any other time before then (or unless the coach changes her mind in the meantime and decides not to send me an LOI to sign)."

What do you want to "rule"? That players can't publicly tell anyone where they intend to go to school? Yeah, that's a great idea. Rolling Eyes

They've experimented with rules banning earlier contact. Hasn't really accomplished anything worthwhile.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/18/16 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll concede that any rules would be hard to police, but do you think the current system of coaches giving withdrawable offers to 12-year-olds is serving children well?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/18/16 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I'll concede that any rules would be hard to police, but do you think the current system of coaches giving withdrawable offers to 12-year-olds is serving children well?

No, it's stupid. Although I'm also hard pressed to see how it's hurting anyone.

Fans cheer and encourage it.

The only way it would stop is if those coaches got trashed in the media and from fans for acting in that way.

And I don't really think it's hurting the 12 year olds any. For the most part there's no direct contact allowed already. This stuff tends to go through HS and AAU coaches as the intermediaries. I expect the players and parents are flattered and excited by it. Coaches think being the "first" gives them a leg up when it comes time for serious recruiting (which is probably not truel).

BTW, Katlyn Gilbert, the junior (2018) guard from Heritage Christian in Indianapolis who recently verballed to Notre Dame "committed" to U of Evansville in 7th grade. She "decomitted" in 8th grade. I'm not convinced any damage was done.

By the way, it's pretty routine, and has been for a long time, in men's lacrosse for players to be "committed" as freshmen or earlier. It's ridiculous but that's the way the system has operated. It's probably been taken more seriously because the pool of schools is so much smaller, and because these kids are fighting over spots and preferred admissions at elite schools like the Ivies, Hopkins, Duke, ND, UVA, and UNC. Until very recently, much of elite lacrosse was concentrated in elite prep schools, wealthy suburban public high schools, and preppy colleges. Consequently, getting a lacrosse offer had ramifications far beyond playing the sport. That system will likely change as the popularity is skyrocketing at both the HS and college level.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 09/18/16 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/AnastasiaHaye12/status/775544029241020416

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: