RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who starts for your team? Early pre-season guesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis4632

PostPosted: 08/06/16 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

25 posts without any Duke or UConn speculations.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 08/06/16 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

Those teams obviously suck. Let's see what Colorado has in the cupboard.

Nevermind. Colorado is way too much in flux.

I mean, there's Kennedy Leonard and Hayley Smith. Then there's Alexis Robinson and Lauren Huggins. Then there's a Jamee Swan sized hole in the interior.

Amazing to me that Colorado was so promising with Swan and Robinson, and that has evaporated into the mist of a dream of what could have been.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/06/16 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll bite on Duke

G Kyra Lambert
G Lexie Brown
G Rebecca Greenwell
F Leaonna Odom
F Oderah Chidom
Top Subs: Primm, Gorecki, Belton

With Brown and Greenwell on the perimeter, if they could have kept Stevens and replaced She Who Must Not Be Named with someone who can actually coach an offense (and treat her players with dignity and encouragement) I think this team could be a F4 contender. As it is now I wouldn't be surprised to see them miss the tournament again. Sad.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/07/16 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I'll bite on Duke

G Kyra Lambert
G Lexie Brown
G Rebecca Greenwell
F Leaonna Odom
F Oderah Chidom

With Brown and Greenwell on the perimeter, if they could have kept Stevens and replaced She Who Must Not Be Named with someone who can actually coach an offense (and treat her players with dignity and encouragement) I think this team could be a F4 contender. As it is now I wouldn't be surprised to see them miss the tournament again. Sad.

Not to mention how many will transfer, which is even sadder.

PostPosted: 08/07/16 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good news for St. John's- we "only" have to replace two starters...

Bad news: ...who were our only consistent double-figure scorers, represented over half the offense (36 out of 66 points), about a third of the rebounding, half the steals, and basically did all the things.

It is reasonable to assume that Aaliyah Lewis will continue to start at point guard, and that Sandra Udobi will continue to start at center. I'm going to guess that Jade Walker will start at the four over Imani Littleton, since Joe likes starting seniors and Jade is now one (wait, when did Jade and Tiny Aaliyah become seniors THIS IS NOT OKAY). I'm going to guess that Akina Wellere starts at three- she came on strong at the end of last year. But sweet fuck almighty I don't know who could possibly step into the shoes of Aliyyah Handford.

TL;DR:

G Aaliyah Lewis
G ?????????????
F Akina Wellere
F Jade Walker
C Sandra Udobi

PostPosted: 08/07/16 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

Those teams obviously suck. Let's see what Colorado has in the cupboard.

Nevermind. Colorado is way too much in flux.

I mean, there's Kennedy Leonard and Hayley Smith. Then there's Alexis Robinson and Lauren Huggins. Then there's a Jamee Swan sized hole in the interior.

Amazing to me that Colorado was so promising with Swan and Robinson, and that has evaporated into the mist of a dream of what could have been.

They've really fallen off. I had high hopes under Lappe but it didn't turn out to much of anything. Hopefully Payne can get them going. Zoe Correal had the most starts out of players you hadn't already mentioned.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 08/07/16 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Minnesota

G Carlie Wagner
G Allina Starr
PG Gadiva Hubbard (frosh)
F Palma Kaposi
C Annalese Lamke (just because she did last year and went to the bench after a few minutes)

Wagner seems like the only lock. Joanna Hedstrom maybe in the starting line over Hungarian Kaposi or Starr. Kenisha Bell, transfer from Marquette, will start as PG when she is eligible 2nd semester. Bryanna Fernstrom, transfer from Iowa State will start instead of Lamke when eligible 2nd semester.

Bell will be eligible at the start of the season. It is Fernstrom who will not be eligible until the second semester.

Wow I thought Bell was a mid-season transfer too for some reason. She will start from the get go then. Makes me a little more excited for the non-conference games.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 08/08/16 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DePaul

We will definitely be playing small ball this upcoming season, but that's not new to us.

Starters:
PG - Jessica January
SG - Ashton Millender
SF - Brooke Schulte
PF - Jacqui Grant
PF - Mart'e Grays

First few off the bench:
Kelly Cambell
Amarah Coleman (hoping she steps up this year. Very talented)
Laura Prochaska

Howee

PostPosted: 08/08/16 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm. My beloved Sooners will undoubtedly go through some challenges to find that undeniably consistent starting lineup. They're experience-rich this year, and have some great new talent.

10 of 15 are either Juniors or Seniors:
http://www.soonersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&SPID=127261&SPSID=750396

Beginning of the season:

1-Ortiz
2-Little
3-Carter
4-Manning
5-Pierre-Louis

Before-too-long:

1-Little
2-Carter
3-Manning
4-Pierre-Louis
5-Mulkey

And I'll be fine about being wrong, if the freshmen guards break their way into those rotations, but again, experienced personnel is an asset Sherri has in her favor....her starting lineups could look totally different with each game, given what the opposition brings.

PostPosted: 08/09/16 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I'll bite on Duke

G Kyra Lambert
G Lexie Brown
G Rebecca Greenwell
F Leaonna Odom
F Oderah Chidom

At least one of those players will not be playing. Per current Duke tradition, we'll only find out when the player is no longer listed on the roster. Then history will be rewritten and the player was never part of the team.

Front court is extremely thin, though Erin Matthias will be available and possibly Kendall Cooper, if she gets re-admitted to Duke. Faith Suggs is another backcourt sub.

Duke might not make the tournament again while McCallie remains the coach. And I don't trust the AD to pick a coach to bring this program back.

~rAf
mzonefan

PostPosted: 08/10/16 6:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan's got three full-time starters returning in PG Siera Thompson, SG Katelynn Flaherty and C Hallie Thome. I'm terrible at predictions, so I'm going to go with experience and say Jillian Dunston and Danielle Williams round out the line-up at the beginning of the season. Boogie Brozoski will be in the mix with the guards. My biggest question will be how much the young posts have developed.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 08/10/16 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meesh98 wrote:
South Carolina start on the season
Pg- Bianca Cuevas
Sg- Allisha Gray
Sf- Kaela Davis
Pf- A'ja Wilson
C- Alaina Coates

Mid season I expect Tyasha Harris to take Cuevas starting point guard position

I agree with your starting 5. I think it's pretty obvious there...

First off the bench: Tiffany Davis, Tyasha Harris and Doniyah Cliney. I expect Dawn to bring Harrigan along slowly, she's needed considering we have ZERO depth at F/C behind Wilson and Coates. Harrigan will need to be ready to enter the rotation consistently by midseason. Harris will likely spell Cuevas at point, T. Davis will spell Gray at SG and Cliney will likely spell K. Davis at SF/W. T. Davis is a combo guard so we'll use her anywhere in the backcourt as needed. This year we'll have the youngest and least experienced bench we've had in years... this scares me a little.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/10/16 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is my crack at UCONN, which should scare absolutely nobody! What a far cry from 2015-2016.

PG: Chong
SG: Nurse
SF: KLS
PF: Collier
C: Butler

By mid season:
PG: Dangerfield

If we go super small and run, run, run.....replace Butler with Gabby Williams.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/10/16 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon State's expertise will be at the Guard position and Whereas Rueck liked using two post players in the past, his best team this year may feature 3 wings surrounding Sydney Wiese and one of the centers

Pg Wiese
G Gabriella Hanson
W Katie McWilliams
W Kat Tudor/MiKayla Pivec
C Marie Gulch.

I don't know if any of these players CREATE like Jamie Wisener could but having MIKayla Pivec in the game could free up Wiese to take some advantage of mismatches due to her size.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/10/16 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West Virginia.

Replacing current WNBA star Bria Holmes along with the rebounding or Airelle Robertson will be the challenge for Mike Carey but he had a successful influx of talent last year that should help keep the program moving forward.

PG Jr. Chania Ray
G So. Katrina Pardee
W So. Tynice Martin
F Jr. Teena Muldow
C. Sr. Lanay Montgomery

Martin and Muldow were both key players off the bench last season. Ray became eligible midway through last season and took over the pg postion. Montgomery has become a strong defender. Carey likes to mine the JUCO route each year and added 6'3 Kristina King from Gulf Coast Community (who originally signed with WV after high school). She was a JUCO ALl-American and double double threat last season.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/10/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

noleman wrote:
Florida State

PG: Leticia Romero
SG: Brittany Brown
W: Shakayla Thomas
PF: Ivey Slaughter
C: Kai James

Bench: Imani Wright (baylor transfer), Nicole Ekhomu, Maria Conde, Atyanna Gaulden, Jasmine Walker

Plenty of depth this season similar to the 14-15 team that went to the elite 8. I would not be surprised if Wright started over Thomas as Shakayla has had much success off the bench.

I like what Sue has going on in Tallahasse

rabidrabbit

PostPosted: 08/11/16 4:52 pm    ::: South Dakota St starting 5 Reply Reply with quote

Will be the same as last year's Mid-Major #1 team.

C-F Clarissa Ober, 6-2 Sr
F Ellie Thompson, 6-1 Jr
G-F Kerri Young, 6-0 Sr
G Macy Miller, 6-0 Jr
G Madi(son) Guerbert, 5-8 So

With most of the next three off bench the same as last year, and stacked with more depth.

With a likely fallback by USD, SDSU should reach the Summit crown again. Look to how they do vs Louisville, Iowa, and Oklahoma in OOC. 9 of 13 teams in OOC played post-season last year, as well as 3 other teams in Summit.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Here is my crack at UCONN, which should scare absolutely nobody! What a far cry from 2015-2016.

By mid season:

First, I believe that UCONN will be better than most people give them credit for. Secondly, I agree with you for the most part, but substitute Williams for Chong and move Nurse to the point. Geno's mantra has always been defense first and with that in mind, Williams will start over Chong and Nurse is more than capable of handling the point. Chong has yet to show in her senior year, that she is ready to take the reins of this team and I doubt she will. Nurse is ready to be the team leader.

PostPosted: 08/12/16 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky Wildcats
PG- Makayla Epps
SG- Maci Morris
SF- Mackenzie Cann
F- Evelyn Akhator
C- Alyssa Rice
With only Jada Roper and Taylor Murray on the bench, I expect a lot of small ball with Epps playing the 4. All I know is this is probably going to be a very long season especially come SEC play. Epps and Akhator are very good Morris is solid. Rice has yet to play to her potential. One thing about Maci Morris is that she worked on her weaknesses last season and improved. I'm hoping she continued to do so over the summer.

PostPosted: 08/14/16 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
With only Jada Roper and Taylor Murray on the bench....

Huh?? He hasn't gotten any other recruits to fill in the voids? No walk-ons?

PostPosted: 08/14/16 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
With only Jada Roper and Taylor Murray on the bench....

Huh?? He hasn't gotten any other recruits to fill in the voids? No walk-ons?

Good call, Howee. They are up to 9 with these 2 walkons: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/article95055562.html

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/14/16 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mississippi State.

Return last years starting lineup.

G. Morgan Williams
G. Dominique Dillingham
F. Victoria Vivians
F Ketara Chapel
C Chinwe Okorie.

key reserves are Teaira McCowan, Breanna Richardson, Blair Schafer, and OK State transfer RoShunda Johnson.

The defense is the squads forte and if they can get McCowan healthy/conditioned that aspect could be even stronger. Also, Johnson allows Schaefer to put a taller point guard in the game as Williams, for all her moxie, is easy to shoot over.

Offensively, it's all about Vivians who has the ability to score from a number of moves but who isn't efficient. Need to diversify the offense to put other in position to help out instead of just passing it to Vivians

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/14/16 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Mississippi State.

G. Morgan Williams
G. Dominique Dillingham
F. Victoria Vivians
F Ketara Chapel
C Chinwe Okorie.

key reserves are Teaira McCowan, Breanna Richardson, Blair Schafer, and OK State transfer RoShunda Johnson.

The defense is the squads forte and if they can get McCowan healthy/conditioned that aspect could be even stronger. Also, Johnson allows Schaefer to put a taller point guard in the game as Williams, for all her moxie, is easy to shoot over.

Offensively, it's all about Vivians who has the ability to score from a number of moves but who isn't efficient. Need to diversify the offense to put other in position to help out instead of just passing it to Vivians

You don't think McCowan will start? I think she has the potential to vie with Anigwe for "top center in the country". McCowan is remarkably physically imposing and yet quite athletic, and you can't teach that.

If she doesn't step up as reflected by starting, then Miss St will remain an also ran. If she does step up, then they are potentially a top ten team. I think she's a difference maker and the key to how good Miss St can be.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/14/16 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Mississippi State.

G. Morgan Williams
G. Dominique Dillingham
F. Victoria Vivians
F Ketara Chapel
C Chinwe Okorie.

You don't think McCowan will start? I think she has the potential to vie with Anigwe for "top center in the country". McCowan is remarkably physically imposing and yet quite athletic, and you can't teach that.

If she doesn't step up as reflected by starting, then Miss St will remain an also ran. If she does step up, then they are potentially a top ten team. I think she's a difference maker and the key to how good Miss St can be.

McCowan could take on the starting center spot for Miss State and depending how quickly she aligns with Schafers defense, she might have that role from the start of the season. I didn't see anything in her play from last season to indicate she would be Center of the Year, at least not next year. I agree that she is physically imposing. Based on last year, tho it's hard to gauge her potential.

As to Mississippi State being a Top Ten team next year, lots of pieces in place but I still can't get past scoring only 9 points in a half in the tourney.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/15/16 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

By mid season:

First, I believe that UCONN will be better than most people give them credit for. Secondly, I agree with you for the most part, but substitute Williams for Chong and move Nurse to the point. Geno's mantra has always been defense first and with that in mind, Williams will start over Chong and Nurse is more than capable of handling the point. Chong has yet to show in her senior year, that she is ready to take the reins of this team and I doubt she will. Nurse is ready to be the team leader.

Butler never got competitive minutes from Geno, so I don't see her starting. Williams was solidly in the top 7 rotation, so I do see her starting.

I see the team trying to be a finesse, speed and outside shooting team rather than a low post team. If so, ideally there should be three 3pt threats on the floor. Chong hasn't shown much, but she's been behind AA Hartley for a year, AA Jefferson for three years and Olympian Nurse for two years, and she is a very good 3pt shooter and passer.

I was not particularly impressed with Dangerfield as a shooter on the U19 or McDonalds teams, and she's coming off some sort of injury. And I know nothing about the two other freshmen.

So I'll go with KLS, Collier, Williams, Nurse and Chong.

Butler would be a sub for the frontcourt players. Dangerfield, if healthy, would get a lot of time as a sub for both Nurse and Chong in the backcourt. The rest, as Hamlet finally gasped, is silence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: