RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Twelve considering expansion by two to four teams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petrel

PostPosted: 07/20/16 8:06 am    ::: Big Twelve considering expansion by two to four teams Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17108512/big-12-begin-exploring-expansion-candidates

IRVING, Texas -- The Big 12 Conference announced Tuesday that it has authorized commissioner Bob Bowlsby to begin exploring expansion candidates.

The Big 12 board of directors met in Irving and deliberated on the merits of expansion, hearing presentations from two paid consultants on the issue.

Bowlsby is expected to begin contacting schools to gauge their interest in the Big 12 in the coming days.

So it's here. Here's a list of potential candidates (my list, not from the link).

Boise State
Brigham Young
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Colorado State
Connecticut
Houston
Memphis
New Mexico
Rice
San Diego State
Southern Methodist
South Florida
Temple
Tulane
UNLV

I don't think any of those teams really bring much to Big 12 women's basketball, except for Connecticut or maybe South Florida.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/20/16 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a long analysis on Power 5 finances on a web site (http://big12fanatics.com/expansion-p...lth-scorecard/0 that's very math -oriented and very interesting ...

Probably the best candidate is BYU, it would seem, with UConn next.

If geography matters, then Houston might be a possibility, but there are a lot of moving parts ...

PostPosted: 07/20/16 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of those on your list, I could see BYU, New Mexico, and Houston. Why not Tulsa? UConn doesn't strike me as a match that Geno would approve, but it would certainly bolster the conference.

PostPosted: 07/21/16 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if they go primarily west, will West Virginia try and leave? BYU almost seems like a lock because of their national fan base. Denver is bursting at the seams so Colorado State, with a new football field opening and a decent mid-major football program, makes sense. The Rams don't play baseball (neither does Iowa St) and the Big 12 loves baseball.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 07/21/16 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't really think of a sport where New Mexico would be competitive in the Big 12. They draw fans in WBB but have dropped to number two in their state after being blown out twice and squandering a 15-point lead in front of 6300 at Wise Pies Arena (the old "Pit" before the wonderful name change) at home vs. NMSU the past two seasons. Football is bad and men's basketball is hot and cold.

Is the ABQ market big enough to warrant the Big 12, either?

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 07/22/16 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCAA rules state that if a university competing in an NCAA championship has a written policy against competition on a particular day for religious reasons, the championship schedule must be adjusted to accommodate that institution.* Brigham Young University has a written policy against Sunday play, and therefore will have schedules adjusted to play on Saturday or Monday, even if it involves changing televised or otherwise broadcast events.

http://byucougars.com/athletics/athletics-faqs

This could really mess up championship schedules.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/22/16 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
NCAA rules state that if a university competing in an NCAA championship has a written policy against competition on a particular day for religious reasons, the championship schedule must be adjusted to accommodate that institution.* Brigham Young University has a written policy against Sunday play, and therefore will have schedules adjusted to play on Saturday or Monday, even if it involves changing televised or otherwise broadcast events.

http://byucougars.com/athletics/athletics-faqs

This could really mess up championship schedules.

The scheduling problem plus outright discrimination against some of its very conservative or what are viewed by some as repressive and discriminatory practices are the reasons often rumoured why BYU was not invited to join the PAC during the last expansion. There are a couple of schools that are rumored to have vetoed BYU membership.

It has been reported that football only membership in the Big 12 is considered a possibility for BYU since the Sunday prohibition would not be a significant problem in football (although it's considered an unlikely outcome).

This issue isn't new. The likely B12 expansion candidates have been discussed ad nauseum for several years. Houston would probably top the list but might be blocked by Texas and TCU who don't want the in-state recruiting competition. The Gov of Texas said yesterday there will be no expansion if Houston is not included. Remains to be seen if he'll actually interfere. (Politicians have gotten involved in other expansion decisions) Cincy is perhaps the most likely choice because of fit, market, quality of football program, recruiting territory and to provide a rival and travel partner for WVU. BYU, Colorado St, UCF, Memphis and possibly Tulane are most often identified as other likely candidates.

I've never seen anything to suggest Temple, Tulsa, UNLV, New Mex, or Rice are even on the list, nor is there any reason why they would be. If it was just football, Boise might be possible, but the travel is difficult and they don't really have any other sports.

FedEx and it's owner are offering to become big B12 sponsors if Memphis is selected.

ESPN took a poll of B12 football coaches this week. Each was asked to name his top two.

"BYU & Houston (5 votes each) top @ESPN poll of Big 12 coaches on expansion. Next: Cincinnati, Memphis (4 votes each); CSU, UCF (1 vote each)"

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/22/16 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 07/22/16 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Of those on your list, I could see BYU, New Mexico, and Houston. Why not Tulsa? UConn doesn't strike me as a match that Geno would approve, but it would certainly bolster the conference.

Geno's approval is irrelevant. Conference moves aren't made based on WCBB, even for UConn.

PostPosted: 07/22/16 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think Boise State would make a lot of sense given the Football culture and past success.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/22/16 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see why the B12 would be interested in the geographically remote and football weak UConn, nor do I see why UConn would be interested in joining the culturally remote and alien B12.
Howee

PostPosted: 07/22/16 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

Geno's approval is irrelevant. Conference moves aren't made based on WCBB, even for UConn.

Well, I knew THAT--I doubt he wanted to be where he is now. Razz It was a smidge of snark. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/22/16 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The travel involved for UConn wouldn't be much different from what they have now in the AAC.

I've read that a football-only option might work for UConn because it would allow them to join the Big East in all other sports. Lots of UConn MBB fans would love to resume the old rivalries while it would save the AD a ot of money by not having to ship minor sport teams halfway across the country.

Last edited by linkster on 08/03/16 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/02/16 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sports Business Daily reports that ESPN and Fox are not keen on the notion of paying higher fees for a Big12 expanded through the addition of non Power 5 teams.

"The Big 12s TV partners are pushing back on the conferences plans to expand.

ESPN and Fox Sports believe that expansion with schools from outside the power five conferences will water down the Big 12 and make it less valuable, not more, sources said. But the Big 12 is financially motivated to add more teams. A clause in the conferences media deals stipulate that if the Big 12 expands, it would receive pro rata increases in its rights fees.

The original deals pay $2.6 billion over 13 years, or about $20 million per school annually. Expansion by two schools, theoretically, would force ESPN and Fox combined to pay an additional $40 million per year in rights fees. Expansion by four teams could mean another $80 million per year.

Both networks, according to sources, are digging their heels in against paying those kinds of increases based on expansion with schools outside the power five. . . .

Several options are being considered at the networks headquarters."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/08/01/Media/Big-12-TV.aspx

Shades

PostPosted: 09/16/16 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why UConn And Cincinnati Should Top The Big 12s Expansion List

http://thesportsquotient.com/ncaa-bb/2016/9/16/why-uconn-and-cincinnati-should-top-the-big-12s-expansion

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SDHoops

PostPosted: 09/16/16 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only way I see UConn getting better at football is building a stadium on campus. Traveling an hour one way to play all of your home games and some practices can't be too appealing to potential recruits when you could literally be a walk away at a lot of other Division 1 schools. I've taken that route from UConn to East Hartford and it can be a trip! The school finally got renovations done on their roof at Gampel..the extent to which I don't know but if you saw it in person, it could be somewhat of a turnoff.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 09/19/16 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boise State
Brigham Young
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Houston
Memphis
Southern Methodist
South Florida
Temple
It will be from this group, no Uconn after Geno retires they will have nothing to offer.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/19/16 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
Boise State
Brigham Young
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Houston
Memphis
Southern Methodist
South Florida
Temple
It will be from this group, no Uconn after Geno retires they will have nothing to offer.

Sorry, but Memphis, Boise and Temple have already been publicly dropped.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/20/16 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:

They have an excellent men's lacrosse program.

I think???

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/23/16 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

They have an excellent men's lacrosse program.

I think???

Field hockey,

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/23/16 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Field hockey,

The lacrosse is club level, isn't it?

Good women's field hockey though.

linkster

PostPosted: 09/23/16 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Field hockey,

UConn Lacrosse has exactly as many NCAA titles as Notre Dame's mens basketball program. UConn is a basketball school. The men's and women's programs have 15 NCAA championships, and amazingly are 15-0 in championship games. Twice they have held both the men's and woman's titles simultaneously. In the last 18 years they have won 14 titles.

OK folks, you can go back to your discussion. Very Happy

bacabuck

PostPosted: 09/23/16 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have an idea. Why don't they go after TAMU, Mizzou, Neb, and Col?

It seems to me that these schools all have good programs and would make the big twelve (minus 2) a viable and interesting conference.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 09/23/16 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bacabuck wrote:

It seems to me that these schools all have good programs and would make the big twelve (minus 2) a viable and interesting conference.

They all bailed on the conference ... been there done that

bacabuck

PostPosted: 09/23/16 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
bacabuck wrote:

They all bailed on the conference ... been there done that

Wonder if they all had any reason to bail?..........ie was everyone treated equally?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/26/16 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Field hockey,

Not sure, think lacrosse may now be NCAA play; was club for a long time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: