RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Loyola parts with Sheryl Swoopes after investigation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 07/03/16 6:02 pm    ::: Loyola parts with Sheryl Swoopes after investigation Reply Reply with quote

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/loyola-parts-with-sheryl-swoopes-after-investigation/

Quote:
Sheryl Swoopes is no longer serving as the womens basketball coach at Loyola University Chicago, athletic director Steve Watson said in a statement. A search for her replacement will begin immediately. Loyola thanks Sheryl for her service to the womens basketball program.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/03/16 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, they'll be back in the basement of the OVC unless they hire someone who can both coach and recruit. The one before Sheryl sure couldn't.

PostPosted: 07/03/16 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since Swoopes lost 15 players in two years, including 10 of 12 last season, there was a chance there wouldn't even be a team next season. Unlike McCallie, at least they were able to get rid of Swoopes after an investigation.

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/03/16 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see where Loyola goes from here.

As for Sheryl, she should go back to her original plan of being an assistant coach.

PostPosted: 07/03/16 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, you misprioritizing, bad-wig-wearing, player-abusing, self-righteous, overhyped, underqualified, program-destroying wreck of a disaster.

PostPosted: 07/03/16 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, you misprioritizing, bad-wig-wearing, player-abusing, self-righteous, overhyped, underqualified, program-destroying wreck of a disaster.

Don't hold back, Queenie. Just tell us how you really feel.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/03/16 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Okay, I'm confused. What do you think about the job Swoopes did at Loyola?
ster II

PostPosted: 07/03/16 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me say up front, I loved watching Sheryl Swoopes play bball. One of the very best!💜 I must say, I did not think this job was a good fit for her, but she didn't ask me. Maybe now she will going forward. Maybe an assistant coach for a while and then a head coach position.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/04/16 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ster II wrote:
Let me say up front, I loved watching Sheryl Swoopes play bball. One of the very best!💜 I must say, I did not think this job was a good fit for her, but she didn't ask me. Maybe now she will going forward. Maybe an assistant coach for a while and then a head coach position.

Noooooooope. I don't want anyone who takes student-athletes' study tools away on road trips anywhere near a college athlete. I don't want anyone who eavesdrops on family conversations anywhere near a position of authority. Maybe she'd be better off in the pros- but then, we all know what she might think a WNBA assistant coach's responsibilities are.

PostPosted: 07/04/16 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself ...

Great player, though.

PostPosted: 07/04/16 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do some people assume that just because she was a great player that she has what it takes to be in coaching in any capacity? She was defiant with the investigation and always said the blame was on the players, not her. If the allegations by the players are true (and Swoopes' firing pretty clearly confirms it), this woman should not be in a position of influence.

Some extreme cases like McCallie, Wagner and now Swoopes would actually do well in something like Corrections.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/04/16 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Why do some people assume that just because she was a great player that she has what it takes to be in coaching in any capacity?

I ask myself this question ( usually with a chuckle) every time I see fans of schools with a coaching vacancy saying "we should hire ( fill in the name of favorite former player)".

This misguided assumption that playing ability automatically translates to coaching ability is not limited to WBB, by the way.

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/04/16 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Late Sunday night, Swoopes' spokeswoman Kimberly Blackwell released a statement.

"In response to the inquires made about the investigation, Sheryl is comfortable with its outcomes," Blackwell said. "She is disappointed, however, with the actions that have followed. In respect of the holiday, we plan to have Sheryl's voice heard at an appropriate time."

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16743608/loyola-ramblers-part-ways-women-basketball-coach-sheryl-swoopes-investigation

PostPosted: 07/04/16 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, however she did it, she did manage to drag the Ramblers out of the basement of the OVC and into the middle of the conference standings. Whatever you think of her methods (and I don't like them either!) you have to give her that, at least.

PostPosted: 07/04/16 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her overall record was 31-62 and she lost 15 players in two years. I'd say that more than offsets whatever she accomplished in one season.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/04/16 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Quote:
Late Sunday night, Swoopes' spokeswoman Kimberly Blackwell released a statement.

"In response to the inquires made about the investigation, Sheryl is comfortable with its outcomes," Blackwell said. "She is disappointed, however, with the actions that have followed. In respect of the holiday, we plan to have Sheryl's voice heard at an appropriate time."

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16743608/loyola-ramblers-part-ways-women-basketball-coach-sheryl-swoopes-investigation

I didn't know Swoopes had her own spokesperson! Is she her agent or attorney too?

PostPosted: 07/04/16 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Noooooooope. I don't want anyone who takes student-athletes' study tools away on road trips anywhere near a college athlete. I don't want anyone who eavesdrops on family conversations anywhere near a position of authority. Maybe she'd be better off in the pros- but then, we all know what she might think a WNBA assistant coach's responsibilities are.
Quote:

Queenie, i'm curious where did you learn of these allegations against Swoopes? I never saw them. Of course if true, Coaching may not be a
proper profession.
[/b]

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/04/16 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

ster II wrote:
Queenie, i'm curious where did you learn of these allegations against Swoopes? I never saw them. Of course if true, Coaching may not be a
proper profession.

(fixed the quote nesting in my reply)

From the article linked above: In late May, sources confirmed another allegation of former players that the staff took away their laptops and schoolbooks at times on road trips to force them to focus on basketball.

I seem to remember there being an article where one of her former players went into detail about her behavior, but I can't find it. I seem to recall that it included either eavesdropping or staff being in the room when a player called her parents, though.

As for the jab at the WNBA assistant job... do I have to detail the Alisa Scott thing?

PostPosted: 07/04/16 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie, thanks for the direction to the article with the students allegations.
I made no jab about a WNBA job. What does swoopes' relationship with the assistant coach for the Comets have to do with this subject? They were both consenting adults.

LitePal

PostPosted: 07/04/16 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only know of Swoopes from her public persona, so I don't know her at all. But taking into account her often very public persona, one thing a departing player said seems amazingly insightful:

"In the beginning of the year (after watching the documentary), I actually felt bad for the things she went through. But at the end of the season, I was like, everything made sense. She seems to thrive off drama. Wherever she goes, the drama is."

dtrain34

PostPosted: 07/04/16 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Sheryl may have fallen victim to believing her own legend.

The huge NCAA title game, being part of the Comets powerhouse, I think it put her in the same unrealistic world many celebrities inhabit.

I don't know her but have been around her a few times in the Northwest. She was the featured speaker before the annual Queens of the Hardwood high school all-star game one year and because the organizers didn't want to skip her appearance the game started almost an hour late because she was that late.

At one point she cried with apparent joy when she agreed to take over a long-standing girls AAU team as its coach, asking that the team be named for her as a part of the deal. A few weeks later, she moved back to Texas with no apologies to the team organizers.

Signs of the most horrible woman ever? No. But signs of a superstar celebrity likely not ready to deal with the daily minutae and potential big and small disappointments in coaching? Yes.

stever

PostPosted: 07/04/16 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
Quote:

I didn't know Swoopes had her own spokesperson! Is she her agent or attorney too?

...she's a brand manager:

https://about.me/kimberlyblackwell

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/04/16 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former WNBA player Rushia Brown standing by Swoopes

PostPosted: 07/04/16 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After re-reading several articles on the controversy, I wonder if Swoopes has ever been diagnosed as bi-polar? The wild mood swings from yelling on court to crying in the locker room, the lack of empathy, the paranoia. There are suggestions from some of the players that she has a drinking problem but I came away with the conclusion that she needs other types of medication.

This is the article that Queenie was referring to. It's a doozy. Besides listening in on phone calls, Swoopes apparently also arranged meetings with a "student services" department, which doesn't exist at Loyola in an attempt to get information out of the players. Again and again, it's alleged that Swoopes tried to pit player against player on her own team.

http://www.loyolaphoenix.com/2016/04/ncaa-aware-of-allegations-against-swoopes-since-2014/

Howee

PostPosted: 07/04/16 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crazy Bitch. Definitely looks like there's some bonafide pathology playing out there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: