RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pat Summitt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockyTopTN

PostPosted: 06/25/16 11:26 pm    ::: Pat Summitt Reply Reply with quote

Word on Twitter is that Pat Summitt has been admitted into the hospital and may not make it through the night.

PostPosted: 06/26/16 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OMG Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 06/26/16 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The toughest woman ever. Pull through, Pat!!

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 06/26/16 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What horrible news this is to wake up to this morning.
blaase22

PostPosted: 06/26/16 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/26/16 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Omg the single reason i became a WBB Fan is clinging to life...im in tears at the moment. The 1st John Wooden Of WBB. I Back Pat I Back Pat!!

PostPosted: 06/26/16 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Praying.

PostPosted: 06/26/16 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh no. Prayers up. Pat has been a hero of mine since 1973.

PostPosted: 06/26/16 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/26/16 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mechelle Voepel ‏@MechelleV 2h2 hours ago Overland Park, KS
LA's Candace Parker left Sparks after win Friday in Minnesota to go to Knoxville to see ailing Pat Summitt.

praying for Pat.

Brinx

PostPosted: 06/26/16 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very sad to hear. Sending all my positive vibes to her, her family and friends.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 06/26/16 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Past few days 'difficult' for former Tennessee coach Summitt

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Pat Summitt's family said Sunday that the last few days have been difficult for the former Tennessee women's basketball coach as her Alzheimer's disease progresses.

Amid reports of Summitt's failing health, her family issued a statement asking for prayers and saying that the 64-year-old Summitt is surrounded by the people who mean the most to her. It also asked for privacy.

Former Tennessee player Tamika Catchings was flying to Knoxville to visit the coach instead of returning to Indiana with the WNBA's Fever. ...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c9cb9fd1b5254f8198b570ae23c49d4f/past-few-days-difficult-former-tennessee-coach-summitt

Phil

PostPosted: 06/26/16 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a sad day.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/26/16 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so sad.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
gpark33

PostPosted: 06/26/16 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No words. There are just no words. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 06/26/16 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/26/16 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prayers for Pat and all who love her.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/26/16 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can still picture her at her last National Championship....who could have ever predicted this fate for such a legend?

IMO, tho, I can accept that a way-too-early exit is better than lingering indefinitely with such limitations. May all her loved ones know peace and healing.

PostPosted: 06/26/16 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Fox Sport, Knoxville, she was admitted to hospice care and the doctors are dedicated to making her as comfortable as possible during her remaining time. Today we are all one with Vol Nation. Peace be to her and her family.

PostPosted: 06/27/16 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So sad. I mean, we all knew this day would be coming but man, this is hard to see happen. I will never forget when I was just starting my coaching career many, many, many years ago and Pat Summitt was sitting in a gym where I was going to watch a game. I was in complete awe walking in as a 24-25 year old and seeing this woman sitting in the same gym. As I sat down and looked around while a game was finishing and before the next one started, I could tell that I was not the only one...there were girls looking, pointing, whispering. After I'd been sitting there for a few minutes and the game was still going on, she did an amazing thing. She saw that group of girls (I suspect she had known they were looking at her for a while) and motioned for them to all go to her. She took a couple of minutes to sign autographs for them and talk briefly. Sure, it was illegal contact but none of those girls were good enough to play for Tennessee plus and honestly, none of us coaches in the bleachers cared either. What she did was to inspire those kids.

The next day, I was sitting in a different gym and who walks in but Pat Summitt. What does she do? She walks over, climbs up a few levels of bleachers and sits right down beside me! She then sticks her hand out, introduces herself and proceeds to ask how I'm doing. We ended up having a 10 minute conversation or so before I had to leave and head to another game. I remember leaving and thinking Wow, I just talked to Pat freaking Summitt! She inspired me that day.

So anyway, she impacted this person just as she has impacted countless others. She is already missed but when it unfortunately becomes final, it will be all too real.

Thank you Pat Summitt! Thanks for everything...

Howee

PostPosted: 06/27/16 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^GREAT story!^^

PostPosted: 06/27/16 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"She's meant so much to the game and the sport. I've always had wonderful interactions with her when I was a broadcaster," Rebecca Lobo said. "I was completely unaware until I saw the stuff this morning. It made me really sad."

Quote:
"You can't say enough about her," Diana Taurasi said after the Mercury's OT win. "If it wasn't for her, we probably wouldn't be playing in Madison Square Garden. Connecticut never would have been Connecticut. She made people take notice of the sport at a time when it probably wasn't easy. She forced the hand. She was the one.

"It's really sad for her family and her friends, her ex-teammates. Her basketball family is hurting right now. Everyone is."

Quote:
"Out of my class, I was the only one that had that decision," Cash said choking up at times. "It was probably one of the hardest things I ever had to do was call her up and tell her I wasn't coming. I respected what she stood for so much."

Cash recalled that every time she saw Summitt after turning down Tennessee, the coach would ask how her mother and grandmother were doing.

"I continue to pray for her. It doesn't matter how many times we beat Tennessee or they beat us, my level of respect for coach Summitt was right up there," Cash said. "She was one of the best ever to do it, being the trailblazer that she was."

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16556673/geno-auriemma-former-uconn-huskies-stars-pulling-pat-summitt

PostPosted: 06/27/16 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had season tickets for Lady Vol games for many years. One of the best parts of that was the post game show where Pat would come over to the sidelines and talk to Mickey Dearstone and then answer questions from fans. She treated each fan and each question with equal respect, whether the question was from a 6 year old kid, a senior, or a knowledgeable youth coach. Over the years I got to ask her several questions about things I'd always wondered about, and it was great to get a personal answer right from the source.

PostPosted: 06/27/16 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have any kind of personal story to share about an interaction with Pat Summitt.

But the standard she set for her Lady Vols team was something I wanted to instill in my 3rd-5th grade girls team a number of years ago.

They were really not used to playing for a demanding coach, and given that some of them had never even played before, it was surely an eye opener for the entire team.

But my Lady Vols team got what my assistant and I were trying to impart to them and give them the notion to aspire to a competitive goal that other coaches might not ask of them.

I don't believe in the terms "boys basketball" or "girls basketball". The name of the game is basketball and if you expect something from the boys, it is only fair to expect it from the girls as well.

My girls were badasses that season, giving up just 48 points over 12 games as they went undefeated and established themselves as "LADY VOLS".

That's what Pat Summitt helped me learn and then pass on to my girls.
stever

PostPosted: 06/27/16 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: