RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Vanderbilt New Coach Announcement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiseone1

PostPosted: 05/23/16 1:15 pm    ::: Vanderbilt New Coach Announcement Reply Reply with quote

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/5/23/11740234/stephanie-white-accepts-vanderbilt-position

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/23/16 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well. Guess I was wrong, although she hasn't made an official announcement and neither has Vandy. We'll see. Neutral

PostPosted: 05/23/16 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...so "announcement"=Swish Appeal said so? Laughing

stever

PostPosted: 05/23/16 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...it's White...& Carolyn Peck!

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/05/23/vanderbilt-hires-coach-stephanie-white-associate-carolyn-peck/84524780/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/23/16 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, that gets Carolyn Peck out of the broadcast booth, to the relief of many I'm sure! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/24/16 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is very odd ...

Stephanie White will not be able to recruit much this summer, and though her WNBA background will certainly help her with elite recruits (all of whom think they can play in the WNBA even the odds are seriously stacked against them), it's going to be tough for her to make connections given that she's been out of this loop for a long time.

And Carolyn Peck is even more disconnected, so Vandy's recruiting this summer will definitely suffer.

Not a great way to start in a business where recruiting is job one ... and job two, three and four.

PostPosted: 05/24/16 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OTOH, they both have high profiles and Vandy already has a strong recruiting class coming in this year, so they may not have too much of a disadvantage.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 05/24/16 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
This is very odd ...

Stephanie White will not be able to recruit much this summer, and though her WNBA background will certainly help her with elite recruits (all of whom think they can play in the WNBA even the odds are seriously stacked against them), it's going to be tough for her to make connections given that she's been out of this loop for a long time.

And Carolyn Peck is even more disconnected, so Vandy's recruiting this summer will definitely suffer.

Not a great way to start in a business where recruiting is job one ... and job two, three and four.

Who will be hired as the other assistants will might immediately off set the lack of (current) recruiting experience.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/24/16 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
This is very odd ...

Dawn Staley played in the WNBA all summer for her first six seasons at Temple and had no coaching experience whatever when she took the job. She did OK.

PostPosted: 05/24/16 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Name recognition will likely more than offset both timing and lack of college recruiting experience.

When White or Peck calls or visits, there won't be introductions required and there is typically a "celebrity" advantage. There is a credibility (regardless of whether it's deserved) bestowed by celebrity status, and White is a WNBA head coach who is well known from her announcing duties, and Peck is one of few National Championship winning head coaches and one of ESPN's lead analysts. Both are likely to get recruits' (and recruits' coaches') attention.

Regardless of what people here might think of Peck or her coaching acumen, I expect she will be highly credible as a recruiter.

I see this as a big time duo from a recruiting standpoint - a lot bigger impact than Banghart or Ivey would have had. And a lot more impressive than their in-state competition Holly Warlick. Whether the superior resumes of the Vanderbilt coaches over the Tenn coaches will be enough to outweigh the history and reputation advantage that the Tennessee program has over the Vanderbilt program is a different and far more dubious proposition. But the instate rivalry could get a lot more interesting than it has been in the recent past.

White alone was a pretty big splash hire for Vanderbilt. Adding Peck into the mix makes it even more so. Color me both impressed and surprised by what Vandy has pulled off.

PRballer

PostPosted: 05/24/16 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Name recognition will likely more than offset both timing and lack of college recruiting experience.

When White or Peck calls or visits, there won't be introductions required and there is typically a "celebrity" advantage. There is a credibility (regardless of whether it's deserved) bestowed by celebrity status, and White is a WNBA head coach who is well known from her announcing duties, and Peck is one of few National Championship winning head coaches and one of ESPN's lead analysts. Both are likely to get recruits' (and recruits' coaches') attention.

Regardless of what people here might think of Peck or her coaching acumen, I expect she will be highly credible as a recruiter.

I see this as a big time duo from a recruiting standpoint - a lot bigger impact than Banghart or Ivey would have had. And a lot more impressive than their in-state competition Holly Warlick. Whether the superior resumes of the Vanderbilt coaches over the Tenn coaches will be enough to outweigh the history and reputation advantage that the Tennessee program has over the Vanderbilt program is a different and far more dubious proposition. But the instate rivalry could get a lot more interesting than it has been in the recent past.

White alone was a pretty big splash hire for Vanderbilt. Adding Peck into the mix makes it even more so. Color me both impressed and surprised by what Vandy has pulled off.

Lack of college recruiting experience? Both have coached and recruited in college for many years.

PRballer

PostPosted: 05/24/16 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few thoughts:

-Great hire(s)!

-Duke won't get Stephanie White and it sounds like she might have been interested had they let go of Evil Witch. Bummer.

-Meaningless rumors from Purdue fans. I've read over the years that Peck was "ineffective" at Purdue and lost the confidence of her '99 team and that Ukari Figgs and Stephanie White basically ran that team to the NCAA championship. Not sure Stephanie White would hire her former college coach if she didn't trust her nor think she was capable of running a team effectively in her absence. Rolling Eyes

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/24/16 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Lack of college recruiting experience? Both have coached and recruited in college for many years.

But neither has in nine years and that's a LONG time ago. Just about meaningless. It's not about having done it, as much as it is about familiarity with and ties to coaches. Plus recruiting of girls basketball has changed dramatically in the past nine years. Moreover White has a total of one year of major college assistant coaching, and even that is only if you consider KSt recruiting experience relevant to Vanderbilt, which is doubtful. I say both lack relevant recruiting experience and ties. They're starting from ground zero in getting to know players, parents, HS coaches, AAU coaches and "handlers". It's not like hiring someone who has been continuously on the recruiting circuit for the past decade.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/24/16 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
A few thoughts:

-Great hire(s)!

-Duke won't get Stephanie White and it sounds like she might have been interested had they let go of Evil Witch. Bummer.

-Meaningless rumors from Purdue fans. I've read over the years that Peck was "ineffective" at Purdue and lost the confidence of her '99 team and that Ukari Figgs and Stephanie White basically ran that team to the NCAA championship. Not sure Stephanie White would hire her former college coach if she didn't trust her nor think she was capable of running a team effectively in her absence. Rolling Eyes

Wasn't Peck on the selection committee at Vandy? I'm curious whether at least in part Peck "came with the job".

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/24/16 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I'm not sure that the 14- and 15-year-olds that are the targets of this year's recruiting wars have much idea about who Stephanie White and Carolyn Peck are ...

Granted, they have a high profile on TV and in the WNBA, but I'm not convinced a lot of kids in California (or Iowa or Miami or Houston) -- who don't watch women's basketball on TV -- have any idea who they are. Nor do their coaches.

They're not starting from ground zero, but this summer will be pretty much lost. (The Dawn Staley comparisons apply to some degree, but her lead assistant was recruiting full-time ...)

PostPosted: 05/24/16 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PRballer wrote:
A few thoughts:

-Great hire(s)!

Wasn't Peck on the selection committee at Vandy? I'm curious whether at least in part Peck "came with the job".

Quote:
Deputy Director of Athletics and Senior Womens Administrator Dr. Candice Lee is chairing the committee.

Others members of the committee are Dr. Emile Townes, Dr. Ann Price, Margaret Behm, Renee Mackin, Chanell Thomas and Caroline Williams Hipps.

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/042916aaa.html

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/24/16 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. I read another list of members on another website that I recall including both Peck and Jay Cutler. Must not have been the actual list.

That list makes more sense than the one I saw.

That actual list also might explain the evident "no men need apply" approach to this hire, especially if, as has been widely rumored, Mike Neighbors sought the job and was ignored or rebuffed without an interview.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/24/16 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just FYI, Carolyn Peck is FROM Tennessee....Jefferson City, right next door to Knoxville....and is a Vandy alum, class of 1985. She was Tennessee Miss Basketball 1980, also. So despite the fact that her coaching days were at Florida and Purdue, her Tennessee roots and Vandy connections are deep. Don't count those out.

PostPosted: 05/24/16 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking that CP will be able to help with the adjustment to the court set up as well as her TN connections.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/25/16 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...The WNBAs monthlong Olympic break is timely for White. She said in addition to Fever practices during that interlude, she would visit the Vanderbilt campus in Tennessee, meet players and perhaps do some recruiting....

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/wnba/fever/2016/05/24/money-influenced-stephanie-whites-move-vanderbilt/84861084/

adamspt2

PostPosted: 05/25/16 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know who Stephanie White is but haven't paid a whole lot of attention to her. I am floored (and quite happily so) to read that she is married and she and her wife have three children. This has to be the first hire of an openly gay/lesbian coach who has a family. I'm pleased that this did not deter Vandy from pursuing her.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/25/16 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unsurprisingly, what is left of the Purdue fan community (myself included) is having a collective meltdown over this.

Our biggest legend coaching elsewhere while our coach continues destroying the program.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/25/16 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Unsurprisingly, what is left of the Purdue fan community (myself included) is having a collective meltdown over this.

Our biggest legend coaching elsewhere while our coach continues destroying the program.

I thought the Purdue community were happy with the results this year. Not better than expected? It was for me.

Dunn is just assistant coaching, probably not too much of a load for a retiree, and I doubt Purdue would pay White what Vandy is willing. And doesn't the Purdue coach have a contract?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/25/16 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Matty is talking about White Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/25/16 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I think Matty is talking about White Very Happy

I wasn't sure so I covered all the bases. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: