RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team to beat next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lvf08

PostPosted: 05/16/16 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor or Notre Dame

bucks4now

PostPosted: 05/17/16 3:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
LitePal wrote:
If Washington gets Ionescu, even as a freshman, they are perhaps the cream of the Pac 12 crop. Neighbors has generated at least as much interest as Rueck recently. Romeo should be big the following year and if the recruiting buzz is still with the program, UW could turn out to be more than just the West Coast Huskies.

A lot of unanswered questions about the program, i.e. was it a fluke, Walton's graduation, etc. but right now, they have the most momentum of any team in their conference.

UW is petitioning NCAA for Romeo to be eligible immediately.

On what grounds?

tfan

PostPosted: 05/17/16 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn still has three USA Basketball high school national team players and other good talent. If they are coming back to the pack, it's a small pack at the top.

Last edited by tfan on 05/17/16 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 05/17/16 5:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
If Washington gets Ionescu, even as a freshman, they are perhaps the cream of the Pac 12 crop.

It was reported that her final three were Cal, Oregon State and Oregon but now I see that:

Quote:
Natalie Romeo was an AAU teammate of high-school All-American Sabrina Ionescu, who is expected to choose between UW and Oregon in June.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 05/17/16 6:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Wow you all not watching the playoffs. Can't remember there being so many great games with more passing and team basketball as there has been this year. Certainly can't complain about the guys games being one on one anymore, they are out there trying to emulate the Spurs, its great.

Now some of these college teams need to do the same. With all the bitching about Uconn last year, I hope some of these coaches realized they need to teach team ball to be successful and get the smart players to do it.

Not a bad lineup Card, I like it. I think we will still surprise some people, Tara tends to do that. If she can get McCall to play better D and learn to pass the ball we could be really good with Kaylee Johnson improving, Samuelsons overall savvy and efficiency and some jumps from our freshmen. Kailee Johnson could also help if she comes back wanting to mix it up a little she has the length at 6' 4" plus to really help.

We beat ND as Tara recognized their weaknesses, shut down Turner in the first, then McCall forgot which way she liked to turn in the 2nd and pressured their guards who don't like that too much. Then we exposed their D. Don't see any help coming in the paint for them that will change things and if teams use Taras model ND could have some tough games next year. SC has same problem, they don't like to work hard on D. Baylor could be a one man show if Jones runs the point, which will be easy to scout against, Kims problem will be getting them to play together, thats where they will miss Johnson. I really liked Maryland last year, but then they just lost it and tanked.

You don't watch enough SC basketball if you think they don't work hard enough on defense. Defense is not where SC's problems are, they are consistently one of the better defensive teams in WCBB. Just because UCONN may have made them look stupid defensively doesn't mean every other team did last season.. Like most teams SC played last season, SC even held UCONN below their season average. (inB4 "UCONN took it's foot off the gas in the 4th quarter!!!").

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/17/16 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't accuse me of something you don't know. It is my opinion, and in my opinion SC are just tall and had a lot of tall bodies against teams that had no height. Against teams that could shoot and run they were out hustled. They lost to Syracuse Wink

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 05/17/16 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
LitePal wrote:
If Washington gets Ionescu, even as a freshman, they are perhaps the cream of the Pac 12 crop. Neighbors has generated at least as much interest as Rueck recently. Romeo should be big the following year and if the recruiting buzz is still with the program, UW could turn out to be more than just the West Coast Huskies.

A lot of unanswered questions about the program, i.e. was it a fluke, Walton's graduation, etc. but right now, they have the most momentum of any team in their conference.

UW is petitioning NCAA for Romeo to be eligible immediately.

On what grounds?

I'd say that the Yori situation might give Nebraska players some leeway in getting sympathy from the NCAA.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 05/17/16 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't. So if your coach retires, you can leave? (Personal opinions aside) I'm talking about how the NCAA rules these things. Romeo choose to leave "in protest" of what the administration did.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/17/16 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

I'd say that the Yori situation might give Nebraska players some leeway in getting sympathy from the NCAA.

Coaching changes are the last reason for which the NCAA is going to start granting waivers. Indeed it's the one situation specifically addressed in the NLOI by which the athlete acknowledges that coacing changes are "not uncommon" and that the LOI is with a school, not a coach.

They are not about to open the door to free transfers every time there's a coaching change.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 05/17/16 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Don't accuse me of something you don't know. It is my opinion, and in my opinion SC are just tall and had a lot of tall bodies against teams that had no height. Against teams that could shoot and run they were out hustled. They lost to Syracuse Wink

Who also played in the national championship game.

You bring up the Syracuse game without realizing that it wasn't SC's defense that failed them in that game.. it was their offense. SC allowed Syracuse's zone to dictate them offensively. SC lost that game because they forgot about their post players... not because they don't play hard enough on defense. Wink

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/17/16 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCGamecock wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

You bring up the Syracuse game without realizing that it wasn't SC's defense that failed them in that game.. it was their offense. SC allowed Syracuse's zone to dictate them offensively. SC lost that game because they forgot about their post players... not because they don't play hard enough on defense. Wink

They lost because their guard play stinks. And predicting championship calibre improvement at the guard positions based on some amazing transformation by Bianca Ceuvas or a miraculous rescue by a freshman seems somewhat, shall we say, optimistic?

SDHoops

PostPosted: 05/17/16 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't know Kia Nurse graduated? Wink Nurse, Danger, Katie Lou, Collier, Williams would have done damage THIS recently completed season. Then for depth you have Chong, Butler, and let's see if Ekmark cracks the rotation. Oh yea, that same line up plus more will be back for 2018 as well Twisted Evil

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 05/17/16 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
They lost because their guard play stinks. And predicting championship calibre improvement at the guard positions based on some amazing transformation by Bianca Ceuvas or a miraculous rescue by a freshman seems somewhat, shall we say, optimistic?

I'm a fan, isn't it my job to be optimistic? No need to be condescending.

In my original post that you're referencing I never predicted a "championship calibre improvement" at the guard positions, as you say..in fact, I lead with "I'm a SC fan and I need to see the team play before I get expectations that are too unreasonable" which means even I have doubts and everything after this is a big IF. I also said in my opinion Cuevas' improvement will surprise and talented freshmen Tyasha Harris will be present for relief. I also spoke highly of our transfers... but nowhere did I predict a championship caliber anything. That's why I have Notre Dame and Baylor ahead of SC. I predict you'll find your "championship calibre" everything there.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/17/16 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCGamecock wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I'm a fan, isn't it my job to be optimistic? No need to be condescending.

In my original post that you're referencing I never predicted a "championship calibre improvement" at the guard positions, as you say..in fact, I lead with "I'm a SC fan and I need to see the team play before I get expectations that are too unreasonable" which means even I have doubts and everything after this is a big IF. I also said in my opinion Cuevas' improvement will surprise and talented freshmen Tyasha Harris will be present for relief. I also spoke highly of our transfers... but nowhere did I predict a championship caliber anything. That's why I have Notre Dame and Baylor ahead of SC. I predict you'll find your "championship calibre" everything there.

My comment addresses whether SC is "the team to beat" as identified in many posts in this thread. That would seem, by definition, to be identifying them as championship calibre. But in my view the guard problem will be worse, not better, next year than this. Gray might actually be a wash with Mitchell (although Mitchell was the person who the team looked to in crisis time last year, and it will be interesting to see who steps up into that role). But the point guard position will be even worse than the past couple of years, and that was already the Achilles heal. I expect Wilson to be better. Whether that outweighs the loss of post depth and the pg situation is a pretty big question mark in my mind at least.

It's just a discussion, not a personal attack. There was nothing condescening.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 05/17/16 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
My comment addresses whether SC is "the team to beat" as identified in many posts in this thread. That would seem, by definition, to be identifying them as championship calibre. But in my view the guard problem will be worse, not better, next year than this. Gray might actually be a wash with Mitchell (although Mitchell was the person who the team looked to in crisis time last year, and it will be interesting to see who steps up into that role). But the point guard position will be even worse than the past couple of years, and that was already the Achilles heal. I expect Wilson to be better. Whether that outweighs the loss of post depth and the pg situation is a pretty big question mark in my mind at least.

It's just a discussion, not a personal attack. There was nothing condescening.

I see. Several posters did identify SC as a team to beat next season but you responded to me and I wasn't one of them. I actually said Notre Dame and Baylor were the teams to beat next season. I ranked them 1A and 1B.

Tiffany Mitchell was a phenomenal guard at SC but if I'm being honest she just wasn't as effective this season as she was her sophomore and junior seasons. That could've been attributed to her injury she received while with Team USA or to her looking ahead to the WNBA. Who knows. With that said, losing Mitchell is still substantial. Tina Roy, Asia Dozier and Sessions were lesser losses. Sessions was a very good defender and a steady presence at the point, but she wasn't capable of doing much more if we needed her to. Sessions was dynamic in transition and had a knack for hitting momentum turning threes occasionally but she disappeared in too many big games (i.e. vs. Syracuse). Roy and Dozier were apparently wings in our system but more often than not they weren't contributing offensively. Roy had her days where she couldn't miss from the perimeter. Other days, she built brick houses. Neither player had a midrange or driving game.

I like the team we have next season. We may not be championship caliber but we have options offensively. We'll have guards at 1-3 that are more versatile. Cuevas is more capable offensively than Sessions, she can drive to the basket, hit midrange and three. Her defense is coming along too. Gray and Davis (our likely starters at 2 and 3) are both capable of scoring at all three levels too. Gray is just as capable as Mitchell and Davis is a VAST improvement over Asia Dozier. My biggest concern with Gray and Davis is defense but hopefully they've fully bought into Dawn's system during their year off.

We'll lose a few games early because we're basically putting a new team on the floor next season with three new starters, 4 freshmen and a smaller overall roster. But by tournament time I don't think anybody is going to want us in their regional as a 2-seed.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 05/18/16 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
I didn't know Kia Nurse graduated? Wink Nurse, Danger, Katie Lou, Collier, Williams would have done damage THIS recently completed season. Then for depth you have Chong, Butler, and let's see if Ekmark cracks the rotation. Oh yea, that same line up plus more will be back for 2018 as well Twisted Evil

Well, they were all doing damage...when they were playing AAC teams (except USF)... Wink

The "Big 3" took a huge chunk of UConn's scoring this year. More than you'd reasonably assume a team with a talented bench would allow. Consider how UConn's scoring went not counting those 3:

Against ND, KLS had 13, Nurse had 9, and Williams had 6. The rest had...zero.

Against Maryland KLS had 4 points, Nurse had 11, and Williams had 4. The rest had 7 points.

Against USC, Nurse had 6, KLS had 2, and Williams had 5. The rest had...zero.

USF (1st time, at USF): KLS had 8 points, Nurse had 16, and Williams had 7. The rest had 2points

USF (2nd time, at UConn): KLS had 9, Nurse had 15, Williams had 4. The rest had 4 points.

USF (3rd time, AAC Champ): KLS had 16, Nurse3. had 13, and Williams had 14. The rest had 10.

Texas: KLS had 9, Nurse had 11, and Williams had 3. The rest (just Collier) had 9.

Oregon St: KLS had 7, Nurse had 9, and Williams had 8. The rest had 9.

Syracuse: KLS had 0 (DNP), Nurse had 9, and Williams had 9. The rest had 8. (Note. even with the added "benefit" towards playing time of KLS not playing, the rest still scored only 8 points)

Yeah, UConn is returning KLS, Nurse, and Williams, but the rest of the returning players didn't do much against good competition. And it wasn't like these were all nail biters.

By contrast, ND is returning 5 of their top 6 scorers over the season. And in the UConn game, for example, Marina Mabrey and Ogunbowale coming off the bench had 23 and 12 points respectively.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/19/16 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
I think Tennessee should be one of the best teams. Cooper I think she have a real good year. With Russell and DeShields I expect real good year.

I'm afraid Tenn is going to have the same problems they've had for the past 8 years...chemistry, poor X's and O's coaching, and inadequate guard play (both outside shooting and defense). This long-time Tennessee fan doesn't see them making it to the FF unless they get a very favorable bracket. Sigh. I'll be very happy to be proved wrong.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 05/19/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SCGamecock wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

I think people are over rating ND a little, Turner is inconsistent, doesn’t take over games like she could, and Allen isn’t a big time scorer. It sounds like they will be depending on a freshman in Young to step in and take over. They have question marks at both, the shooting guard, and small forward position next year.
SCGamecock

PostPosted: 05/19/16 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND definitely has problems. I don't see an overwhelmingly dominant team in WCBB next year. I just feel like ND has the least amount of problems of all teams. Sure, they are thin in the post but I think that can always be overcome with great guard play (if your guards are hitting everything then there's no rebound for opposing post players to get). Notre Dame always has great guards and they will again next year.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/19/16 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
SCGamecock wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

I think people are over rating ND a little, Turner is inconsistent, doesn’t take over games like she could, and Allen isn’t a big time scorer. It sounds like they will be depending on a freshman in Young to step in and take over. They have question marks at both, the shooting guard, and small forward position next year.

Right. Really straining hard there.

Lineup is Turner, Allen, Westbrook, Mabrey, Ogunbowale. Johnson, Nelson, Patberg, Boley Young off the bench. Have you told your opthamalogist about seeing question marks? You should get that checked out. Rolling Eyes

Sure, they all have to perform. But question marks? ND is really as set and lacking in question marks as at the start of any year in recent memory.

linkster

PostPosted: 05/19/16 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

Well, they were all doing damage...when they were playing AAC teams (except USF)... Wink

The "Big 3" took a huge chunk of UConn's scoring this year. More than you'd reasonably assume a team with a talented bench would allow. Consider how UConn's scoring went not counting those 3:

Against Maryland KLS had 4 points, Nurse had 11, and Williams had 4. The rest had 7 points.

USF (1st time, at USF): KLS had 8 points, Nurse had 16, and Williams had 7. The rest had 2points

USF (2nd time, at UConn): KLS had 9, Nurse had 15, Williams had 4. The rest had 4 points.

USF (3rd time, AAC Champ): KLS had 16, Nurse3. had 13, and Williams had 14. The rest had 10.

Texas: KLS had 9, Nurse had 11, and Williams had 3. The rest (just Collier) had 9.

Oregon St: KLS had 7, Nurse had 9, and Williams had 8. The rest had 9.

Syracuse: KLS had 0 (DNP), Nurse had 9, and Williams had 9. The rest had 8. (Note. even with the added "benefit" towards playing time of KLS not playing, the rest still scored only 8 points)

Yeah, UConn is returning KLS, Nurse, and Williams, but the rest of the returning players didn't do much against good competition. And it wasn't like these were all nail biters.

By contrast, ND is returning 5 of their top 6 scorers over the season. And in the UConn game, for example, Marina Mabrey and Ogunbowale coming off the bench had 23 and 12 points respectively.

It'd true that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks of the WNBA draft dominated the scoring for UConn, especially in the final four, something that Ogunbowale and Mabrey have yet to experience. Rolling Eyes

You, like many Irish fans like to hang your hopes on those two based on what they did against UConn, but fail to bring up the less than stellar numbers they put up when it counted. I just looked up that Stanford game box score and noticed they combined for 13 points, 3 rb's, 2 assists and 3 turnovers. This after an entire season of experience. Of course if they can shoot 86% from the arc as they did against UConn then Notre dame may go undefeated. Very Happy

As far as UConn next year, the question isn't about talent. The fact that the scoring was dominated by the 3 seniors is obvious. But Geno, especially in big games, has always relied on his best players more than most coaches.

If anyone wants to dismiss UConn by comparing UConn 2016 with UConn 2017 I respond by asking that you compare the other 2017 squads with the 2016 UConn team. Everyone comes up short. There may not be even one 30 point MOV all season. The horror!

I think UConn will be in the mix by the time the NCAA's roll around. How they play in November and December? One to 4 losses is a reasonable guess. If they end the season with 4 losses I will predict that the fans of highly ranked teams will be as anxious to see them in another region as they have been the last 4 years.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to next year. It will be like finally reading a book without knowing the ending. I expect to scream at my TV screen more and may need a bottle of bourbon near but it should be a novel experience.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 05/19/16 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
SCGamecock wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Right. Really straining hard there.

Lineup is Turner, Allen, Westbrook, Mabrey, Ogunbowale. Johnson, Nelson, Patberg, Boley Young off the bench. Have you told your opthamalogist about seeing question marks? You should get that checked out. Rolling Eyes

Sure, they all have to perform. But question marks? ND is really as set and lacking in question marks as at the start of any year in recent memory.

I picked ND to be ranked number one about a month or so ago. There are concerns as with every team. You hope that Turner recovers from her shoulder surgery sufficiently for I believe we have not seen her true potential realized yet. Allen surprised me last year as I believe she under performed based upon what I saw the previous years. I was expecting her to take a much greater step up in performance - maybe I am being to harsh. It is her team this year being both a senior and the point guard.

I think Boley will be ready to play before Young though both are exceptional talents and will contribute.

ND as regurgitated everywhere lacks size but I think that their quickness and athleticism coupled with Muffet's guidance will overcome that.

PostPosted: 05/19/16 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think next year should be a little more interesting than the last 4. At least i hope so!

PostPosted: 05/19/16 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="CBiebel"][quote="SDHoops"]I didn't know Kia Nurse graduated? Wink Nurse, Danger, Katie Lou, Collier, Williams would have done damage THIS recently completed season. Then for depth you have Chong, Butler, and let's see if Ekmark cracks the rotation. Oh yea, that same line up plus more will be back for 2018 as well Twisted Evil[/quote]

Oregon St: KLS had 7 (in half a game with a broken foot), Nurse had 9, and Williams had 8. The rest had 9.

By contrast, ND is returning 5 of their top 6 scorers over the season. And in the UConn game, for example, Marina Mabrey and Ogunbowale coming off the bench had 23 and 12 points respectively.[/quote]

Was there a reason you left out the Miss State game lol

Against Miss State KLS had 21, Nurse had 6, Williams had 7, rest 16

Btw not sure what point you are making, the question is how many did Ogunbowale and Mabrey give up.... A lot more than the Uconn players and the reason they played less as NDs season wound down.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/19/16 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

Btw not sure what point you are making, the question is how many did Ogunbowale and Mabrey give up.... A lot more than the Uconn players and the reason they played less as NDs season wound down.

Sounds great. Too bad it's total rubbish. Mabrey played more minutes, not fewer, in the NCAA tournament, largely because she plays excellent defense. Among other things, for the year she was second on the team in steals, first if you adjust for minutes played.

Go ahead, make up some more stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: