RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 commits...already yet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/21/16 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You got someone in mind? Wink

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/21/16 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
You got someone in mind? Wink

Unfortunately 2017 seems to be the year of the guard. There just aren't that many posts and how many would qualify academically? Jade Williams maybe but it seems we're not on her short list. But I think there is a slim possibility for 2018 so got my fingers crossed 'cause that will be the first year without Johnson and we will be in big doo-doo if we can't find someone by then. It seems like Oregon and OSU have signed a bunch of bigs. Maybe some of them will decide to transfer - not that Tara gets much in the way of transfers. Can we make a trade? Laughing

well, maybe Coffee, who I think was injured last year, will turn out to be better than Picknell....That of course, wouldn't take much. But if she could even be a 10 minutes/game player, that would be a huge help. And of course I have hopes that Fingall will provide post help - sooner is better.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 10/21/16 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Pretty sure we are now full up. Well think there is one more scholy available but none of the top players are either interested or can make admissions. So our (Stanford) ranking is bound to drop. Still really happy with this class - 2 in the top 15 and three overall in the top 50. Better than it's been for quite awhile. Just waiting for an academically qualified big to go with our quality guards/wings.

Dang. I may have to dust off the Stanford paraphernalia in a year or so, and start following them again Exclamation

NoDakSt wrote:
Preliminary ranking of the top 20 recruiting classes as determined by HoopGurlz

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/class-rankings/_/class/2017

Interesting to see K-State in this lineup. How quickly we forget all the hand-wringing and doom forecast for Jeff after the Romero debacle, and now, he's got a class in the top 20? Cool.

PostPosted: 10/24/16 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Stanford Cardinal are continuing to make news on the recruiting front as they sign the Hull Twins, Lexie Hull is ranked #17 by Hoopgurlz. This is for 2018!

Howee

PostPosted: 10/24/16 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
The Stanford Cardinal are continuing to make news on the recruiting front as they sign the Hull Twins, Lexie Hull is ranked #17 by Hoopgurlz. This is for 2018!

This is interesting, on the heels of the preceeding class' strength already declared. What has Tara putting into those freebie water bottles she's dispensing on campus visits?? It IS good news, of course, but I do hope other PAC 12 schools find enough wealth to fill their rosters with equivalent talent. Gone are the days when Stanford runs the table with little contest....I HOPE.

ps....Was anything ever offered as a reason Lili left?

Last edited by Howee on 10/25/16 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
lvf08

PostPosted: 10/25/16 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2017 #13 Hoopgurlz Jade Williams to Duke
https://twitter.com/jadeandtresmom/status/790918897016811520

LitePal

PostPosted: 10/25/16 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Were both Hulls already accepted by the Admissions Office this early? Is it conditional? I thought Tara couldn't offer a scholarship until they were officially offered by admissions. They're only starting their junior year and even if they're 4.0 students as the articles say, it's still a long way to go. If it was a statement by the twins, it could lead to some embarrassment.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/25/16 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Were both Hulls already accepted by the Admissions Office this early? Is it conditional? I thought Tara couldn't offer a scholarship until they were officially offered by admissions. They're only starting their junior year and even if they're 4.0 students as the articles say, it's still a long way to go. If it was a statement by the twins, it could lead to some embarrassment.

What IS Stanford's set of criteria? I mean, could a h.s. sophomore have taken (and aced) the PSATs? What standardized tests does Stanford go to for decisions?

Again....ANY word on Lili's current status, and why she's left?

PostPosted: 10/25/16 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
2017 #13 Hoopgurlz Jade Williams to Duke
https://twitter.com/jadeandtresmom/status/790918897016811520

She should start immediately. Any truth to the runout that jadeandtres mother is trying to make this a family affair by getting Jade's younger brother onto the Duke mens' team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/25/16 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
LitePal wrote:

What IS Stanford's set of criteria? I mean, could a h.s. sophomore have taken (and aced) the PSATs? What standardized tests does Stanford go to for decisions?

Again....ANY word on Lili's current status, and why she's left?

http://admission.stanford.edu/basics/selection/profile.html I'm actually surprised that you could get admitted with under 600 on any of the SATs. But there you have it. It's a little mis leading in that if you are under 600 on one of them, you damn well better be high 700s on the other two. Then supposedly GPA is taken into account as well as outside activities. If a coach asks for a player, the outside activities part is taken care of Very Happy

As far as the Hulls go, I'm pretty sure they couldn't have taken the SAT or ACT yet and therefore couldn't officially be admitted. We have had verbal commits in the past who simply disappeared later because they failed to be admitted....but it is rare to get verbal commits this early for that reason. At this point, it is just verbal.

As far as Lili goes, those who know are being pretty tight-lipped, just saying it was a personal decision. It is possible of course that she simply wore out on bball. These girls start at a really early age and play non-stop. Anyway, as mentioned she is staying in school and getting a degree so will still have a year of eligibility if she wants to use it somewhere as a grad student.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/25/16 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From watching football for years, it's my recollection that Stanford recruits didn't used to be able to get an offer until after they had filled out their complete application and had it reviewed. They lost some recruits who simply didn't want to go to the trouble of writing all the essays when they weren't sure where they wanted to go, or didn't want to wait that long for an offer. I think that got changed at Harbaugh's urging when he became coach (along with some other things), and then they started making offers earlier in the process and to juniors, contingent of course, as with other schools, on test scores, maintaining grades, required courses being completed, and graduation, and a completed application.

You must be thrilled how recruiting is going this year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/25/16 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

recruiting and admissions: yeah, back in the day, we actually had to wait until everybody got admitted - no early admission! So you really really had to know that's what you wanted because you had to say no to others before you knew for sure. It was nerve wracking.

ArtBest23 wrote:

You must be thrilled how recruiting is going this year.

yes. very! If I were a dog, my tail would be thumping wildly. I was invited to attend a practice recently but unfortunately wasn't in the area - but from what I hear, this year's group has come in ready to play as well. Of course you can only really get the idea when they get into real games, but it definitely sounds promising. The only worry for the near future (for me), is a true 'big'. Those are hard to come by in the moment. And we only have one scholarship left for '17-18. Hoping the right post appears to go with these good guards, wings, and possible stretch fours. I would think that it would appear enticing to someone who can academically qualify as there won't be a lot of competition for the five spot. (Unlike someplace like Oregon which just added 4 or 5 of them!) It will be interesting to see how Tara/Kate tweak the offense to fit the players, as they will certainly have to do. Very exciting!

This year we might surprise some people. On the other hand I know it's the time of great hope for all of us...before reality hits. There's not a lot of pressure on us this year - we're more underdogs, which is kind of refreshing.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/25/16 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be thrilled to have a 6'3" wing like Dodson.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/27/16 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4 star Destiny Harden, 6' guard out of Chicago, verbals West Virginia.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 10/27/16 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Deja Church (5'10'' guard/wing) committed to Minnesota today over DePaul, Stanford, Oklahoma State and home-state Michigan.

Apparently she has decommitted from Minnesota already and is going to Michigan.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/28/16 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Deja Church (5'10'' guard/wing) committed to Minnesota today over DePaul, Stanford, Oklahoma State and home-state Michigan.

Apparently she has decommitted from Minnesota already and is going to Michigan.

Correct. She will be playing with a couple of AAU teammates at Michigan.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/28/16 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for that update, Myrtle. I hope the twins DO get there....that'd be awesome. And yes, y'all at The Farm do deserve a killer good class. There was such a palpable drop-off after the O sisters left, enough to cause great concern.

And I REALLY hope Lili still makes her mark somewhere. Cool

PostPosted: 10/28/16 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
What's up with B1G recruiting? Thought they were on a bit of an upswing the past couple years and not just with OSU and Maryland.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/class-rankings/rank?rank=20&class=2017&date=20161019

In the case of tOSU the upswing has swang!....14 currently on the roster and just one senior.

I suppose if another super star camps on his doorstep, coach McGuff will listen, but otherwise..............

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/29/16 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeKe McKinney out of Knoxville Fulton declares for Kentucky. She won't be very popular when the Wildcats play in Knoxville.

PostPosted: 10/30/16 6:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
KeKe McKinney out of Knoxville Fulton declares for Kentucky. She won't be very popular when the Wildcats play in Knoxville.

According to one of the TN message boards she was a 'Plan B' player so they really didn't need her. Wink

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/30/16 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

According to one of the TN message boards she was a 'Plan B' player so they really didn't need her. Wink

If you're reading those (I don't bother with them) they are ridiculous. Full of what a lot of us call "The fans on the hill" who will never be happy unless the Pat of 2000 suddenly returns from heaven to coach the LVs.....and even then they'll bitch. No thanks.

And that kind of post sounds like sour grapes (not yours, theirs). So typical.

PostPosted: 10/30/16 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

If you're reading those (I don't bother with them) they are ridiculous. Full of what a lot of us call "The fans on the hill" who will never be happy unless the Pat of 2000 suddenly returns from heaven to coach the LVs.....and even then they'll bitch. No thanks.

No, they were calling her plan B long before she committed to UK. That was because they were certain Tenn was going to land Westbrook, Dodson, Davis, Patterson and Onyenwere, so McKinney was the backup plan. I think Evans and Jade Williams were on the "can't miss" list at one point as well.

I'm not kidding about this. There have been lots of posts there saying things like this one "If McKinney ends up at Tennessee there will be some level of disappointment with this class, no matter what kind of pretty bow some will try to put on it." and "Plan B. If she comes here it means we missed on one of our top targets."

Kind of a crazy bunch over there.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/31/16 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"]
summertime blues wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

No, they were calling her plan B long before she committed to UK. That was because they were certain Tenn was going to land Westbrook, Dodson, Davis, Patterson and Onyenwere, so McKinney was the backup plan. I think Evans and Jade Williams were on the "can't miss" list at one point as well.

I'm not kidding about this. There have been lots of posts there saying things like this one "If McKinney ends up at Tennessee there will be some level of disappointment with this class, no matter what kind of pretty bow some will try to put on it." and "Plan B. If she comes here it means we missed on one of our top targets."

Kind of a crazy bunch over there.[/quote

You must be reading The Summitt. UGH. Razz

PostPosted: 10/31/16 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Kind of a crazy bunch over there.

You must be reading The Summitt. UGH. Razz

No, VolNation. Actually just the Recruiting thread. Tenn and ND were recruiting 3 or4 of the same players so I read that thread occasionally just looking to see if there was any news. Was pretty shocking how many posters trashed McKinney while the coaches were evidently still recruiting her.

I've never read the Summit. It was my understanding that site is private and I'm certainly not paying to read that.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/01/16 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do read VolNation because it's one of the few non-pay sites where one can find LV news (after sifting through a lot of garbage). I'm frequently astounded by how many posts/posters belittle the HS players currently being recruited by the Tenn coaching staff. It happens every year, despite the likelihood that those players, their families, and/or their coaches read that board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: