RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What's Going On At Kentucky?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK1996

PostPosted: 05/05/16 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Niya Butts is returning to UK as an assistant.
http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/jen-smith-on-basketball/article75752772.html

PostPosted: 05/05/16 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
Jacubkova, Camara, and Jennings, it was probably nothing more than a coincidence in reality.

Can you explain this?

ridor

PostPosted: 05/06/16 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed the pattern. In mid-1980s, when the media guides first came out, you get to see players in action, especially in the middle of media guides. They would do introduction, preview, coaches, players, the previous season review, history, team records, players records and last the university itself. And the best part is always in the middle (or center) of the media guides where you get to see returning players in action against their opponents from the previous season. Virginia, Tennessee, Maryland, Stanford, Montana, Auburn, Louisiana Tech, Texas, James Madison and Old Dominion all did do the same thing. Yes, I still have these media guides dating back to mid-1980s. But in the last 10 years, I stopped getting it because I can read it online instead.

When Dawn Staley was a senior at UVA, UNC finally improved to 22-9 record. I called UNC for its media guide. I noticed something odd. In the middle of media guide, instead of seeing UNC players in action, there are each player & coach's family pictures. If you read UNC coaches' comments or background in these media guides, they talk about being a good Christian and pop few biblical verses. Of course, I find it very suspicious - what's going on? Years later, I realized that it has so much to do with recruiting propaganda, "LOOK PARENTS!!! WE ARE GOOD CHRISTIANS!! WE DON'T HAVE LESBIANS!! WE TREAT YOUR DAUGHTERS AS OUR DAUGHTERS!!"

Virginia, Louisiana Tech, Old Dominion & Tennessee (I never cared for UConn so I never read their media guides) resisted as many schools adopted that approach like UNC's. Because UNC kept on winning the recruits that Virginia wanted to have, Virginia eventually caved in - now we don't see the Cavaliers in action, we get to see each player & coach's families in the middle of the media guide. It sucked because it implied that since the media guides these days are propaganda trying to win recruits & their families.

Sylvia Hatchell may be the one that started it all because I did have media guides from mid-1980s, I never saw anything like that before I got UNC's media guide in 1991-92. Then they won the title in 1994. It obviously worked, did it? Then Gail Goestonkors did do the same on her media guides. She does not spew about her faith but she does put her family picture along with others as well. It helped. Duke gets to go to Final Four four times with her as Coach, Debbie Leonard never had one on her media guides and did she go to Final Four? No.

Why am I talking about this? On this UK thread? If you look at Matt Mitchell's background, he does mention about his faith. So did his assistant coaches & players. They tweeted biblical verses occasionally. Matt & his family established a foundation that is ingrained with Christianity values, trainings, beliefs & Ministries. His media guide does not have the "family pictures" but many players & coaches mentioned their faith & families. It helped Matt & UK to recruit very well. UK's IMPACT Leadership reeks of that concept used by many Christian ministries.

But it has negative repercussion. Players arrive at the schools and realized they did not want that path. So we get players running out of schools. Assistant Coaches coming in and did not like it and left.

I can throw 5 coaches that frequently talked about God, Jesus Christ, biblical verses, worship services et al on various social media & mainstreaming media. Washington's Tia Jackson. Louisiana Tech's Tyler Summitt. Loyola-Chicago's Sheryl Swoopes. UNC-Greensboro's Wendy Palmer. North Carolina's Sylvia Hatchell.

And Tia & Wendy had been fired for not accomplishing enough at these schools. Tyler Summitt's hypocrisy destroyed Louisiana Tech's chances of returning to its glory days. Sylvia is embroiled with academic scandals at UNC. UK's Matt is having a huge revolving door for players & coaches to come in and run off. Sheryl Swoopes turns out to be a bad coach as almost everyone on her team fled her.

I guess there is a lesson for us all. See any coach that talked about their faith or belief, players should turn around and run away. Parents need to do the same. They ain't that good. They ain't gonna get you in on any WNBA or US Olympics team.

Cheers,

R-

Howee

PostPosted: 05/06/16 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea, Ridor.....religious/faith atmospheres playing a role in these programs that are in flux. I have no idea how real that may be in any of these cases, but I think it's pretty abominable how some have done that.

Baylor? Of course. They're Baptist. Liberty, too. DePaul, Villanova, St. Joes, etc., certainly. But schools like UNC and KY that are state schools should not allow people in positions of authority (coaches) to espouse or promote religious values....should they? At least, if they ARE going to do that, they should give equal time to Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, etc. (HA! Razz --ya, right)

PostPosted: 05/06/16 3:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agreed. If they go to Yeshiva, then do that way. Same with Liberty & Baylor. But it is happening at state supported schools.

It did not help that their Athletic Department is dominated by men. But no, these changes in recruiting antics has left some good lesbian coaches at a huge disadvantage - Ceal Barry, Elaine Elliott, Marianna Freeman, Dana Pokey Chatman, Sue Wicks, Teresa Weatherspoon, Cheryl Miller, Chris Weller, Marianne Stanley, Mickie DeMoss and others left coaching profession in some capacity.

At Maryland, Chris Weller really wanted to win everything for Maryland but what really hurts her the most? Recruits. She resigned. The married beautiful blonde woman comes in and is doing very well for Maryland, picking up the 2004 Natty

Very extremely few single, uncommitted or lesbian coaches are able to stay as Head Coach and recruit well. Four of them - Debbie Ryan, Tara Vanderver, the late Sue Gunter & the late Kay Yow. Debbie was very lucky, it helps to have an uncle who runs the UVA Athletic Department - Gene Corrigan who also became ACC Commissioner for 10 years. Out of 4 coaches, I think Sue Gunter went through so much and was able to coach until her death. She was amazing woman. So is Kay. Kay, Sue, Debbie & Tara are proven coaches who were lucky to build their coaching resume before Title IX came along.

Same goes for Pat Summitt but she did marry a banker and "conveniently" divorced him after few years. What if Pat was single, would she have 8 natties? I'm not certain of that. Same thing goes for Kim Mulkey, would she have 2 if she was not married?

I won't be surprised that other coaches will use the l-word on Holly Warlick - this year, she was not able to recruit any Top 100 recruit. If she failed to pick up Top 100 recruits next year, we will know that coaches out there are using her "uncommitted" against her and yes, UT will fire her.

Truth be told, Elena Delle Donne will get any coaching position first *before* Britney Griner will. It is been an interesting journey from pre-Title IX AIAW to Post-Title IX NCAA. Does Title IX helps lesbians or what? Okay, it is 4 AM in the morning. Off to bed.

Cheers,

R-

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/09/16 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsey Duvall (2017) verbal for Kentucky has reopened her recruitment.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/10/16 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, there's a lot of smoke coming from Lexington. How does Mitchell survive this? I know he has put Kentucky WBB on the map and has donated to the school, but he's going to have no players. And the SEC is scary place to be if you lack high level scholarship players. After next season, the cupboard is literally bare.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/10/16 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The interesting tidbit is that two former assistant coaches are coming back to work for Mitchell.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/10/16 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
The interesting tidbit is that two former assistant coaches are coming back to work for Mitchell.

I have a theory about that. I'm thinking he may be trying to get back to the time when things really worked, and Elzy and Butts were part of that time. I also wonder if maybe he hasn't been recruiting individuals without thinking a whole lot about how they will actually blend in with those already on the team. Things really started to go downhill after Jennifer O'Neill graduated. She had been a starter at one time and then became the "6th player" in her last year or so, but seemed to be someone who kind of held the team together, the kind of player you always think of as the glue. They don't seem to have one of those now. They aren't always starters; often they're players who come off the bench, sometimes ones who don't get many minutes, but they have *something* that helps keep the team together. Maybe Mitchell ought to track O'Neill down and offer her an AC job...if she's interested in coaching, that is.

PostPosted: 05/10/16 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I have a theory about that. I'm thinking he may be trying to get back to the time when things really worked, and Elzy and Butts were part of that time. I also wonder if maybe he hasn't been recruiting individuals without thinking a whole lot about how they will actually blend in with those already on the team. Things really started to go downhill after Jennifer O'Neill graduated. She had been a starter at one time and then became the "6th player" in her last year or so, but seemed to be someone who kind of held the team together, the kind of player you always think of as the glue. They don't seem to have one of those now. They aren't always starters; often they're players who come off the bench, sometimes ones who don't get many minutes, but they have *something* that helps keep the team together. Maybe Mitchell ought to track O'Neill down and offer her an AC job...if she's interested in coaching, that is.

Presently, she's trying out for the Connecticut Sun of the WNBA.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/10/16 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It doesn't seem that long ago that Matthew Mitchell was being seriously promoted as a replacement for the "incompetent" Holly Warlick and a "savior" for UTK.

The coaching smoke in Lexington seems more combustible, to me, than that in Durham.
AAOK423

PostPosted: 05/10/16 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lol...maybe Louisville can finally beat UK next season.

LitePal

PostPosted: 05/10/16 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atticus Finch just tweeted that he heard another staff member has left Kentucky.

https://twitter.com/wbballhoopscoop/status/730223312513597440

~UK~

PostPosted: 05/11/16 5:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Atticus Finch just tweeted that he heard another staff member has left Kentucky.

https://twitter.com/wbballhoopscoop/status/730223312513597440

Not sure who this is unless it's another Christian Stephanopolis situation. Rolling Eyes

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/11/16 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Presently, she's trying out for the Connecticut Sun of the WNBA.

Seems they're pretty well stocked, so she might be available soon Wink

PostPosted: 05/11/16 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are reports that Amber Smith(former UK player) will join the staff. Excellent hire!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/11/16 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These AC changes over the past two or three years were touted as bringing in expertise in teaching offensive schemes.

Is Mitchell going back to the "good ol' days" of UK relying entirely on defense and helter skelter fast breaks while having perhaps the most inept half court offense in the country?

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 05/11/16 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its obvious that most here are average fans and have no true inside knowledge of this situation.

Phil

PostPosted: 05/12/16 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
Its obvious that most here are average fans and have no true inside knowledge of this situation.

I don't think "average" is at all correct. It is correct that few have true inside knowledge.

LitePal

PostPosted: 05/17/16 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chanin Scott has been granted her release. They're down to six players.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 05/17/16 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alexis Jennings is transferring from Kentucky as well.

greatgator

PostPosted: 05/17/16 1:46 pm    ::: Mitchell Issues Another Statement Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell Issues Another Statement

http://www.ukathletics.com/news/matthew-mitchell-what-i-have-learned-05-13-2016

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 05/17/16 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoever scheduled Kentucky in the early non-conference season next year has gotta be pleased to have the opportunity to beat a weakened--but presumably ranked team.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/18/16 8:24 am    ::: Re: Mitchell Issues Another Statement Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
Mitchell Issues Another Statement

http://www.ukathletics.com/news/matthew-mitchell-what-i-have-learned-05-13-2016

Wow, what an incoherent rambling mess that is.

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
but presumably ranked team.

I wouldn't presume that.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/18/16 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell's statement seems to imply that there were a lot of communication issues, and it looks like he's throwing the AC's under the bus.

Another perspective:
http://www.lex18.com/story/31999449/scotts-mother-says-there-is-still-a-chance-her-daughter-will-come-to-uk

"Everyone keeps waiting for a bombshell to drop about what has happened since 11 players have cut ties with the team in the last year. Instead, nothing other than a disconnect between the head coach and his staff and the head coach and players seems to be the issue.

I've talked to several parents and ex-players. No one has thrown any huge stones at Mitchell even in off the record conversations. Instead, as Corsaro noted in her one interview, it was the fear of the unknown that scared her off. Now Scott's mother is basically saying the same thing."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: