RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Men Read Tweets to Women Sportswriters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/26/16 11:17 am    ::: Men Read Tweets to Women Sportswriters Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It’s an incredibly powerful PSA to stop harassment of women in sports through social media. Hopefully it did its job.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/sarah-spain-julie-dicaro-harassing-tweets-video

Wow. Crying or Very sad

AAOK423

PostPosted: 04/26/16 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will never understand how people can be so awful.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/26/16 2:26 pm    ::: Re: Men Read Tweets to Women Sportswriters Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
It’s an incredibly powerful PSA to stop harassment of women in sports through social media. Hopefully it did its job.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/sarah-spain-julie-dicaro-harassing-tweets-video

Wow. Crying or Very sad

Why only women? Did anyone read some of the posts about that Shaunessy guy who wrote that UConn was bad for wcbb? Message boards are filled with much more vile attacks than the ones on this video. And most of them are directed at men.

This reporter seems to feel that only women receive and need relief from this sort of treatment?

And why should any man feel the need to apologize for something someone else did? This idea of all men sharing the guilt of a bunch of assholes simply because they share a gender is sexist at it's core.

Put a man among a group of women and have him say the "you women are all alike" and he would be attacked. But that same group of women, confronted by a story of one of them being harrassed/discriminated by a man and the comment "all men are alike" would be one of the first reactions.

When you become a journalist and put your opinions out there for others to read/hear you shouldn't be shocked or surprised that some will react like jackasses. It comes with the job. What should concern her is if no one comments at all.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 04/26/16 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

imo I didn't see this as a video of, these men needed to apologies for the actions of other men (whether they did or didn't). I interpreted this video as informing these men, who are probably not assholes that women are harassed by assholes all the time. Especially women who are in male dominated careers. Ive seen far more disparaging comments directed towards female athletes than male athletes. Far more rape jokes directed at women in the media than men in the media. And believe it or not there are people that are blind to that hate. My father, who is as anti-technology as they come (no computer, no cell phone, ect.) was completely unaware misogyny still exists in a very big way and it effects women's sports in a very big way. He grew up in the sixties and he thought all that was left in that decade. Thought the only people that would make those comments were his age or older when in reality, they are probably closer to my age than his. I don't think its about shaming men for actions of a bunch of jerk, but letting those men, and the rest of the world know that those jerks exist and its not cool or funny but just really sad and unfortunate.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/26/16 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
imo I didn't see this as a video of, these men needed to apologies for the actions of other men (whether they did or didn't). I interpreted this video as informing these men, who are probably not assholes that women are harassed by assholes all the time. Especially women who are in male dominated careers. Ive seen far more disparaging comments directed towards female athletes than male athletes. Far more rape jokes directed at women in the media than men in the media. And believe it or not there are people that are blind to that hate. My father, who is as anti-technology as they come (no computer, no cell phone, ect.) was completely unaware misogyny still exists in a very big way and it effects women's sports in a very big way. He grew up in the sixties and he thought all that was left in that decade. Thought the only people that would make those comments were his age or older when in reality, they are probably closer to my age than his. I don't think its about shaming men for actions of a bunch of jerk, but letting those men, and the rest of the world know that those jerks exist and its not cool or funny but just really sad and unfortunate.

Agreed. The point of this is in the faces of the men reading the tweets. Their discomfort is palpable and transfered to the viewer. I couldn't even get through it all in one sitting.

The reality is that 99% of the people who write tweets like this would never dream of sitting there and saying these things to a person's face. And if they did, they would be run out of the room by anyone watching. When a human being is sitting there we feel empathy and it stops most of us from being cruel. But that same empathy is not as easily achieved when the human being is removed from the equation and we are addressing our words to a computer/smartphone screen. Campaigns like this PSA are important to retraining our thought process and reminding our brains of the person behind the screen.

PostPosted: 04/26/16 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

Agreed. The point of this is in the faces of the men reading the tweets. Their discomfort is palpable and transfered to the viewer. I couldn't even get through it all in one sitting.

The reality is that 99% of the people who write tweets like this would never dream of sitting there and saying these things to a person's face. And if they did, they would be run out of the room by anyone watching. When a human being is sitting there we feel empathy and it stops most of us from being cruel. But that same empathy is not as easily achieved when the human being is removed from the equation and we are addressing our words to a computer/smartphone screen. Campaigns like this PSA are important to retraining our thought process and reminding our brains of the person behind the screen.

I agree with everything you say. But try going onto a men's football board and read how men talk to men. In those cases the insults usually involve the use of the word "fag" or suggest that their target lives in his mother's basement. It's the same anonymous bravado and has little to do with the gender of either party. My complaint is that this reporter is trying to turn it into a gender bias issue when it's not. It's a people insulting other people issue. The language used may be gender-specific but the idiots that do this are equal opportunity flamers. I'm sure have a notebook with insults for men, women, Moslems, gays, the French, the Chinese, and the various minority groups.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/26/16 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently you have little knowledge of how women are routinely harassed online. You might want to look at a series the Guardian ran last week.

PostPosted: 04/28/16 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Apparently you have little knowledge of how women are routinely harassed online. You might want to look at a series the Guardian ran last week.

I never suggested that women aren't harassed online. My disagreement is with those who see this as a gender issue. Men and women are both harassed online by the same type of person. They are usually powerless in their lives and the anonymity of the internet is their twisted way of compensating. They belittle people with whatever they feel will work. With women they belittle their gender. With men they question their masculinity. With minorities they use racial, ethnic and religious epithets.

It is not uncommon for women who are attacked by men to accused the entire male gender of insensitivity. As a man I resent being labelled and categorized by my gender. Nor do I accept any responsibility for the demented behavior of anyone simply because we share the same gender. I would think that women feel the same way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: