RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nike EYBL tournament live stream on today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 10:35 am    ::: Nike EYBL tournament live stream on today Reply Reply with quote

http://nikegirlseybl.com/live-stream

If you have a Roku you can add an app the "The Cube" for free and watch the games on your TV quite easily.

I'm still trying to find a game schedule and team rosters, but I think these games are on all day and maybe all weekend with some of the best girls travel teams in the country gathered in Hampton, VA.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Current game is NJ Sparks v Boo Williams. Sparks lead 26-24 at the half.

6'3" Danielle Patterson, a junior from NY, plays for the Sparks. I have read that she has named St. John's, UVA, Tennessee and Notre Dame as her favorites.

Megan Walker plays for Boo Williams.

Too many tornovers and sloppy passes by the sparks in the 3rd Q and Boo Williams has opened up a 43-33 lead as the 4th Q starts.

Boo Williams took over in the second half and won 66-45 after trailing at the half.

Walker had 10 for BW, Patterson 9 for the Sparks.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 04/22/16 11:22 am; edited 3 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal Stars v Phil Belles are on at 6:30 today, by the way. THAT will probably be worth watching.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is the full tournament schedule, care of Mike Flynn's tweet. The Court 1 games are streamed online.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgl22sMWkAAVWJl.jpg

Always interesting how teams complain about playing two games in three days, but these girls are expected to play five games in one day and ten games in a weekend.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I can't find rosters for most of these teams (all of these teams seem to have remarkably fancy websites which are woefully out of date and incomplete) but this game is a blowout. Cal Swish leads NYC Exodus 28-10 as we approach halftime.

One would think that since the point of these teams is to promote the players and help them get noticed for scholarships, they would want to highlight the names of the girls and their backgrounds on their websites.

33-12 at the half.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Exodus, behind Army commit (I think) guard CeCe Mayo has in the 4th Q cut a 20 pt deficit to just 4 with 3 minutes to go.

Well that stinks. Exodus had cut it to 1 pt when I got called away from the TV and missed the end and now I can't find a final score. Mad

Don't suppose anyone else here was watching?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/22/16 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for this info, Art.

I don't know what Roku and apps are, but I can get the streamed games on my computer.

The game currently on isn't very interesting to me, but I notice there are games going on simultaneously on four different courts. Do you know if they are just televising one fixed court, or are they switching to different courts, or can viewers somehow switch to different courts?
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Thanks for this info, Art.

I don't know what Roku and apps are, but I can get the streamed games on my computer.

The game currently on isn't very interesting to me, but I notice there are games going on simultaneously on four different courts. Do you know if they are just televising one fixed court, or are they switching to different courts, or can viewers somehow switch to different courts?

I believe it is only the Court 1 games that are televised. I think just about everybody gets televised at one time or another over the three days.

I put the full schedule up the thread. There's four courts in use in each time slot.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal Stars v Phil Belles starting now.

Both teams are wearing black. Brilliant. Thanks a lot.

DeCosta, Espinoza-Hunter, Westbrook, Kakala, etc - names you're going to hear again.

Edit they say Philly is wearing maroon. You sure can't tell it on the telecast.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 04/22/16 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kakala must be headed to UCLA. She bunches up her shorts in that uniquely ridiculous looking UCLA way so that they look like they're helium filled.

Cal 21 Philly 15 at the half in what can only be termed a slop fest. This is not well played basketball. Coaches watching this must be asking themselves about various players "well, it looks like she has some skills, but is she coachable?"

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quality of play has improved somewhat in the 2nd Q, particularly by Cal on defense.

There are four StMary's teammates on the Cal Stars. One would think they would be way ahead of most teams in terms of understanding their teammates and playing together.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal Stars 34 Philly Belles 24 at the half.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal looking better this half. Westbrook makes a nice backdoor cut for a layup, then gets a steal and goes coast-to-coast. Kakala hits a nice shot from the elbow.

And Cal is up 44-26.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6'3" Mikayla Vaughn from Friends Central HS in Philadelphia (2017) looks pretty smooth. Might be solid for someone.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal Stars beat Philly Belles 68-49.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/22/16 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Must be one of the weaker Belles teams in years. Talk about not being able to get the ball into the paint; they hardly could get it inside the 3pt arc. Espinoza-Hunter has improved her ball handling over the years since I first saw her in 7th grade, but she's still functioning mainly as an arc shooter.

Cal Stars played a much better game.

I didn't see what I call magic from any player, though DeCosta showed very good athleticism. Hard based on this one game to predict any of the players to be elite in college.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Must be one of the weaker Belles teams in years. Talk about not being able to get the ball into the paint; they hardly could get it inside the 3pt arc. Espinoza-Hunter has improved her ball handling over the years since I first saw her in 7th grade, but she's still functioning mainly as an arc shooter.

Cal Stars played a much better game.

I didn't see what I call magic from any player, though DeCosta showed very good athleticism. Hard based on this one game to predict any of the players to be elite in college.

DeCosta is the centerpiece but Westbrook is the best player. Very smooth, excellent passer and defender, can drive and sink 3s. I thought she was hands down the most impressive player in the game. Just not the flashiest.

Espinoza-Hunter completely dominated the Belles team. She's going to have to adjust her expectations regarding her shot total when she arrives in Storrs.

I thought Vaughn looked good for Philly, but nobody passed her the ball.

Kakala is big and strong and has a nice 15 foot shot, but she certainly isn't particularly athletic. She'll be fine at ASU or OreSt or the like. Personnaly I'd rather have Vaughn.

But as you say, it was just one game. Not a basis to assess players.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/23/16 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only saw a few minutes of a few games but even then I noticed a few big name players on different teams. We see the transfers in college, is this issue beginning in high school with players just randomly switching aau teams? Right now Cy Fair Shock is playing Cal Sparks. One of Cy Fair's good players last year was Sedona Prince, a 6'7 underclass recruit but she's not there. Now they have Charli Collier and Jade Williams who played for a Texas United team last year. Texas United now picked up a UConn commit who played for a different Texas AAU team. Last year UConn verbal Crystal Dangerfield played for an AAU team in her home state and then switched to a Kentucky based team. These are all highly recruited players who would probably play a lot of minutes on any AAU team so if they can't stay happy in this situation where playing time likely comes easy, no wonder many kids transfer when they get to college and the competition is more fierce.

Also the quality of play is honestly worse than I expected given the number of highly ranked players in this game.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/23/16 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
I only saw a few minutes of a few games but even then I noticed a few big name players on different teams. We see the transfers in college, is this issue beginning in high school with players just randomly switching aau teams? Right now Cy Fair Shock is playing Cal Sparks. One of Cy Fair's good players last year was Sedona Prince, a 6'7 underclass recruit but she's not there. Now they have Charli Collier and Jade Williams who played for a Texas United team last year. Texas United now picked up a UConn commit who played for a different Texas AAU team. Last year UConn verbal Crystal Dangerfield played for an AAU team in her home state and then switched to a Kentucky based team. These are all highly recruited players who would probably play a lot of minutes on any AAU team so if they can't stay happy in this situation where playing time likely comes easy, no wonder many kids transfer when they get to college and the competition is more fierce.

Also the quality of play is honestly worse than I expected given the number of highly ranked players in this game.

Just guessing, but my suspicion is that the girls AAU circuit is in the process of becoming just as corrupted with shoe money as the mens has been for forty years. It's the meal ticket for coaches, so no wonder they try to recruit superstars from all over the country.

On the mens side college coaches have to deal with those AAU "handlers" who have a lot of control over where their "clients" end up for school. And yes, what shoe company the school uses can be a critical component.

I assume only the absence of huge money in the women's game limits the corruption. But as the money grows so will the influence of hangers on looking to make a buck off their girls.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/23/16 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never understood why young people changing teams is automatically a bad thing. What difference does it make? There are no contracts here (and not much shoe money).

Here's one point: Playing for different coaches during your high school years can only help a player -- every coach is different, teaches different things, teaches the same things in a different way, and gives the player a sense of what works for her and what doesn't.

Another: So what?

On a different note: One reason the quality of play is so low that teams don't have much time to practice before this viewing period. The girls generally take some time off after the high school season, and then finding gym time to practice, and getting players from the elite teams together -- they're often from a wide geographic spread -- isn't that easy.

PostPosted: 04/23/16 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Here's one point: Playing for different coaches during your high school years can only help a player -- every coach is different, teaches different things, teaches the same things in a different way, and gives the player a sense of what works for her and what doesn't.

From the looks of things it appears that some of these coaches don't teach much of anything anyhow. Most appear to be grads of the Sylvia Hatchell school of coaching. Roll 'em out and let 'em play.

What does it take to start a team, anyhow? I read stories all the time that when daughter was 10 mommy or daddy started a new AAU team so that of course daughter could be the centerpiece of her own team. Does mommy or daddy have to have any qualifications or just the willingness to spend the time to find sponsors and run the team?

And maybe having players from all over is part of the problem. I think an Iowa team in the EYBL has one well known recruit from Texas. There have to be dozens of teams in Texas. If girls played with other local girls then maybe they could actually practice and improve their games. Instead of just showing up for tournaments.

Little league baseball used to, and may still, have geographic restrictions. Maybe that's not such a bad idea.

BTW, aren't most high schools still in session across the country? Who thought having a travel team tournament in Mid April was a good idea?

linkster

PostPosted: 04/23/16 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I've never understood why young people changing teams is automatically a bad thing. What difference does it make? There are no contracts here (and not much shoe money).

On a different note: One reason the quality of play is so low that teams don't have much time to practice before this viewing period. The girls generally take some time off after the high school season, and then finding gym time to practice, and getting players from the elite teams together -- they're often from a wide geographic spread -- isn't that easy.

But isn't this a team sport? All I see are individuals. While there is nothing wrong with switching teams it looks like some aren't even sure of the names of their teammates. For all the money their parents are spending there should be more practice time. I realize it's all about getting a scholarship somewhere but some of these teams look like they were put together a few days ago.

I can't watch these AAU games for more than 10 minutes. There seems to be no plan whatsoever. Everyone seems to have to create their own offense. No screens. No back doors even though the defenders overplay the ball. The only benefit I can see is that they are playing against other talent, something they don't see in high school except for the handful of elite travel teams. It explains a lot about the low quality of play I see among college freshmen. If 14-17 year old girls can compete in the Olympics in other sports there is no excuse for the lack of skills among the same age group of those who play, or rather try and play, basketball

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/23/16 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How often do you expect to practice when players live 1500 miles apart and the school year is still going on?

And what makes you think parents are paying for all of this on these elite travel teams? It's Sam Gilbert comes to girls basketball.

Considering that it's virtually impossible to find a roster for a single one of the 32 teams in Norfolk, it wouldn't surprise me if some of these girls have never even played together before yesterday. This is the first big Nike tournament of the season.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/23/16 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I'm guessing they don't practice much at all if the geographic disparity is so great, so then how much are they "learning" from a new coach? I don't think they leave teams in pursuit of learning opportunities, I think they leave because they think another coach may give them more freedom offensively, more minutes, won't be as hard on them or some other factor. The idea that these kids are leaving teams to be enlightened on different offensive and defensive schemes from a new coach seems unlikely given that they probably agree to join a new team without knowing much about the coach.

While playing for new teams as a youth player may not be bad, I think it affects the college game because now these kids just get used to the idea that if there are minor things that aren't perfect they should just go to a new team. You aren't going to love every coach, not every coach will make you the focal point of the team, but its ok to use it as a learning experience. I would say the transfer rate in college is partially increasing because the transfer rate in these grassroots basketball leagues is increasing.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/23/16 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Considering that it's virtually impossible to find a roster for a single one of the 32 teams in Norfolk, it wouldn't surprise me if some of these girls have never even played together before yesterday. This is the first big Nike tournament of the season.

College coaches were able to recruit last week so I'd assume these teams all played last weekend, albeit at various tournaments across the country. In early April they also have some tournaments that aren't open to coaches but presumably help with rust. I think the level of play may be better if these teams were not fielded with players from all over because clearly the lack of practice makes the games very rough. I'd imagine its not easy for colleges to evaluate players in this setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: