RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cal Stars Nike Elite report. Lots of up-n-coming talent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/21/16 2:40 pm    ::: Cal Stars Nike Elite report. Lots of up-n-coming talent Reply Reply with quote

http://prep2prep.com/feature.aspx?ArticleID=10039

Ionescu and Higgins are gone, but DeCosta and Kakala and Westbrook make this team worth following, as most of the coaches in the country evidently are doing.

Maybe Clay can provide his assessment of this next batch of players regarding their skills and their likely landing spots?

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/21/16 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw this team, and they are good.

Evina Westbrook is the prize, as far as I can tell, but no word on what she's thinking. She's from Oregon, so there's that.

Aquira DeCosta is to mind the second best player, but she's a rising junior, so no info really.

I like Loretta Kakala, the post player, but again nothing is certain.

This the big summer for the Class of 17, and I would guess many commitments might be coming soon (after the spring viewing period) -- most, though, will wait for a "better" offer.

The elite kids, of course, have no sense of urgency. Even if they get hurt, the offers will still be there.

My only comment, really, is that the success of the Pac-12 makes it more likely that players like Westbrook, DeCosta and Kakala will stay on the West Coast than in the past. Sure, UConn and Notre Dame are still big draws, but, for example, Natalie Romeo's likely return to the West Coast will only reinforce the idea that staying on the Pacific Rim is a good decision.

PostPosted: 04/21/16 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Evina Westbrook is the prize, as far as I can tell, but no word on what she's thinking. She's from Oregon, so there's that.

Aquira DeCosta is to mind the second best player, but she's a rising junior, so no info really.

This the big summer for the Class of 17, and I would guess many commitments might be coming soon (after the spring viewing period) -- most, though, will wait for a "better" offer.

The elite kids, of course, have no sense of urgency. Even if they get hurt, the offers will still be there.

My only comment, really, is that the success of the Pac-12 makes it more likely that players like Westbrook, DeCosta and Kakala will stay on the West Coast than in the past. Sure, UConn and Notre Dame are still big draws, but, for example, Natalie Romeo's likely return to the West Coast will only reinforce the idea that staying on the Pacific Rim is a good decision.

I understand McGraw has been heavily recruiting Westbrook.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/21/16 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

*swinging broom at Irish coach* Stay away, Muffet! *thwack!* You leave Evina alone!!! *thwack thwack!"

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/21/16 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Apparently, she's an excellent defensive player, and who doesn't like defense? She's tall (for a perimeter player) and quick and can score, plus she seems unselfish and coachable. What's not to like? Muffet may be recruiting her as a backup if Walker opts to go elsewhere, but I'll bet she would be thrilled with both. If that did happen (and I would be thrilled if either chose the Irish), I'll bet Muffet would go primarily with a 4-guard lineup. Gotta play all those guards and wings!

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/21/16 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

*swinging broom at Irish coach* Stay away, Muffet! *thwack!* You leave Evina alone!!! *thwack thwack!"

I didn't see UCLA on her recruiting list in the article. Is Cori after her?

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/21/16 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I didn't see UCLA on her recruiting list in the article. Is Cori after her?

At least as of December

"Sopak said her suitors include Duke, South Carolina, Louisville, Southern Cal, UCLA, Oklahoma, Oregon State and Oregon."

Even if she doesn't come to Westwood-- which would, of course, be my most-selfish preference-- my second most-selfish preference would be for her to stay in the Pac, so at least I can watch her ball, live and in person, a time or two each year for the next four years.

Anyways...

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/01/16 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some recent updates on players mentioned in this thread:

Loretta Kakala committed to Louisville last night. Her AAU teammate Evina Westbrook recently cut her list to nine schools: Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame, Oregon State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Tennessee, Southern California, and Washington.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/01/16 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Loretta Kakala committed to Louisville last night. Her AAU teammate Evina Westbrook recently cut her list to nine schools: Louisville, Maryland, Notre Dame, Oregon State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Tennessee, Southern California, and Washington.

That good because Louisville needs a lot of help in the post. They really just need bodies down there in the paint. Now if they can only get Chatrice White they will be set. Shocked

Seriously, is Walz subscribing to the Mulkey school of post management? How many does he need? It appears that there is some serious overrecruiting going on. Is he assuming that the ones that lose the competition for playing time will transfer? Or does he honestly think he can play all these young women? And Hines-Allen seems to have the 4 locked up for the next 2 years, so that doesn't leave a lot of minutes for bigs.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/01/16 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

That good because Louisville needs a lot of help in the post. They really just need bodies down there in the paint. Now if they can only get Chatrice White they will be set. Shocked

Seriously, is Walz subscribing to the Mulkey school of post management? How many does he need? It appears that there is some serious overrecruiting going on. Is he assuming that the ones that lose the competition for playing time will transfer? Or does he honestly think he can play all these young women? And Hines-Allen seems to have the 4 locked up for the next 2 years, so that doesn't leave a lot of minutes for bigs.

1) Given the penchant for players to transfer (and 'Ville has had their share), stockpiling posts is an insurance policy.

2) Adopting the above policy almost insures the forgone conclusion

3) Walz doesn't have a history of developing post players, maybe he doesn't really know what he's looking for and hoping someone has "it" until he learns how to utilize that position

4) if we have them, even for a short time, that means nobody else does (see Duke womens' basketball)

AAOK423

PostPosted: 05/01/16 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

I was surprised they went after another big too. However, they did just have two players transfer out and they are bringing in some versatile bigs like Shook who can play the 3,4, or 5 (from what ive heard). Their bringing in Dunham who will probably get minutes behind Hines-Allen and Fuehring. Walton (who they relied on a lot last year) will graduate. So that leaves Johnson, DeGrate, and Kakala to compete for minutes at center. But, yeah, lots of bigs...something Louisville isn't really used to.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/01/16 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given that he already has some more athletic posts who are as tall or taller, I'm not at all clear what Kakala adds other than to further exacerbate a pre-existing numbers crunch.

It certainly doesn't make me any more concerned about Louisville than I would have been before this commitment. Considering what they already have I just don't see that they are materially better with her. I would think they have other more significant needs like a PG and a scoring/3-pt-shooting W.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/01/16 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
. . .bigs like Shook who can play the 3,4, or 5 (from what ive heard). ..

Shook at the 3? Not buying it.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/01/16 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I was surprised they went after another big too. However, they did just have two players transfer out and they are bringing in some versatile bigs like Shook who can play the 3,4, or 5 (from what ive heard). Their bringing in Dunham who will probably get minutes behind Hines-Allen and Fuehring. Walton (who they relied on a lot last year) will graduate. So that leaves Johnson, DeGrate, and Kakala to compete for minutes at center. But, yeah, lots of bigs...something Louisville isn't really used to.

The two players who transferred out were a PG and a W, and one would think with all the front court players recruited in the past two years, he would be focusing on perimeter players. But I agree that some of his bigs seem versatile enough to play a few different positions.

I do not know the ins and outs of Louisville recruiting, but it seems as if Jeff is adopting the overrecruiting method that was previously utilized so effectively in SEC football (Bama comes to mind), where you recruit classes that are too large, and then figure out which ones are good enough to keep once they arrive on campus. The ones that do not make the cut are encouraged to transfer, or their scholarships are simply not renewed. As far as I know, there has been no Louisville player that has complained that they were pushed out the door, so perhaps the transfers are simply players who are seeking more playing time. But as NoDakSt suggests, recruiting that many players will lead to transfers of this sort. If that is Jeff's strategy, I do not like it, and I think he will develop a bad reputation among HS and AAU coaches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: