RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA president Emmert: Womens basketball loses $14 million
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greatgator

PostPosted: 04/19/16 7:36 pm    ::: NCAA president Emmert: Womens basketball loses $14 million Reply Reply with quote

NCAA president Emmert: Womens basketball loses $14 million per year

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2016/04/18/ncaa-president-emmert-womens-basketball-loses-14-million-per-year/

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/19/16 7:58 pm    ::: Re: NCAA president Emmert: Womens basketball loses $14 mill Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2016/04/18/ncaa-president-emmert-womens-basketball-loses-14-million-per-year/

How much does baseball lose?

Swimming? Wrestling? Tennis?

Phil

PostPosted: 04/19/16 8:19 pm    ::: Re: NCAA president Emmert: Womens basketball loses $14 mill Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
greatgator wrote:

All less than wbb.

As I discussed earlier, wbb is the number one money loser for the NCAA. Some seem to think that was not worth discussing.

taropatch

PostPosted: 04/19/16 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
If the NCAA were to become a business, only two sports would make money: mens basketball and football.

In general, yes, with the exception of University of Hawaii women's volleyball.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/19/16 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, women's basketball loses money and for the very explicable reason that most fans don't and likely never will prefer to pay money to watch it.

However, under current federal law, women's sports at football schools need to spend and spend and spend to keep the Title IX numbers right so fans of CWBB have no fear of anything being done to balance that $14 million out.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/20/16 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Quote:
If the NCAA were to become a business, only two sports would make money: mens basketball and football.

Interesting. I would have guessed that the travel costs would be a problem.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/16 9:21 am    ::: Re: NCAA president Emmert: Womens basketball loses $14 mill Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
greatgator wrote:

All less than wbb.

As I discussed earlier, wbb is the number one money loser for the NCAA. Some seem to think that was not worth discussing.

The median school loses far more on football than WBB. The totals are thrown off by a handful of schools that bring in big money at that sport.

PostPosted: 04/20/16 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course, I question the accounting for college sports -- if it was truly that big a money-loser, I'm pretty sure a lot fewer universities would have Division I sports. The ancillary gains (donors, applications, alumni interest) wouldn't be in a financial report.

As for women's basketball, here's an easy way to save $5 million: Eliminate conference tournaments. The only reason they exist is because the men have them. The attendance is bad, and the occasional Cinderella in a mid-major conference immediately gets clocked in the NCAA tournament and the regular season winner gets relegated to the WNIT.

I wonder if women's basketball would still be the biggest money-loser if conference tournaments were eliminated. Baseball isn't cheap ....

Final point: Presumably scholarships are counted as a cost in tallying up the bottom line for each sport. If so, then the extra women's scholarships necessary to balance out football should be charged to football, not the women's sports.

PostPosted: 04/20/16 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that $14 million cited by Emmert refers only to the NCAA's loss on running the WBB tournament. It's in the context of describing how the money made on the MBB tournament is spent by the NCAA. I don't think that number has anything at all to do with how much the 300+ colleges lose on WBB, which would be a vastly larger number. Nor do I think Emmert was saying WBB was the largest money loser for the individual schools. It might or might not be, but that's not what he was talking about.

But I don't understand the notion that "if schools lost money they wouldn't do it." Schools have supported interscholastic sports for at least a century. High schools do it. Grade schools do it. It's just like financially supporting the band or the debate team. It's part of what they do. It has nothing to do with making or losing money. Which of course is why making as much money on football is so important to so many schools, because they'd rather make money to fund the rest of the sports that way than use tuition or public money.

And of course the very existence of athletic programs at Div II, Div III, NAIA, and other minor federation schools disproves the notion that "if they lost money they wouldn't do it" because certainly none of those are self sustaining.

Finally, I think the conference tournaments are paid for by the conferences out of the conference revenue. From the individual schools' standpoint, it's just like another game. So I don't think that's a big driver of school losses.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/20/16 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I briefly looked into some of the accounting issues and agree with Clay that there are questions worth asking.

I'm not starting with the assumption that schools are doing anything deliberately wrong, just that the accounting for some items is tough for them one might realize.

For example, U of X receives licensing fees for the use of their images and logos on clothing and other items. These fees aggregate in the tens of millions at least. When a person buys a sweatshirt with the school logo, is it because of the sports team or their interest in the academic side? One might guess that a specific logo such as the U of X Unknowns was because of the sports team, while the U of X logo with something other than sports, but who is to know? I won't be surprised if all such fees accrued to the University and are not allocated to the athletic department. If some are at allocated to the athletic department, how to figure out how much goes to the women's basketball team versus the men's versus the lacrosse team versus soccer team etc. etc.? It may be more work than it is worth to do allocations at that level, so I won't be surprised if some people by clothing with logos specific week because of one particular sports team but the fees and up in a more general fund.

I was recently asked to contribute to university the general fund, not the athletic fund. Such donations are probably not attributed to the athletic department even though my interest in the sports team is key to the donation.

The net income and loss statement charges the scholarships to the athletic team, understandably. However, some scholarships are funded either partially or fully from outside sources. Is that considered in the calculation? I would hope so but I don't know.

Does success in sports translate into increased funding of state schools? I can easily argue that it should not, but the evidence is that it does. This item along may dwarf the financial impact of the athletic budgets.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/20/16 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
O

As for women's basketball, here's an easy way to save $5 million: Eliminate conference tournaments. The only reason they exist is because the men have them. The attendance is bad, and the occasional Cinderella in a mid-major conference immediately gets clocked in the NCAA tournament and the regular season winner gets relegated to the WNIT.

I'm not quite ready to go that far. My initial thought was to split the difference, and I do that a team who can't win half the games in conference shouldn't be in the conference tournament with the outside chance at the Cinderella win and an NCAA bid. However, I can think of some edge cases where the team a game under 500 and a strong conference is legitimately strong team.

For some conferences, I think a .500 record or better could be a reasonable requirement (for operational purposes, I would go for the top half of the conference it doesn't work well if you don't know how many teams will be in the conference tournament until the final day). For a few select conferences, I might pick the top 75%.

One positive side benefit it makes the regular-season more important. As the regular season winds down and you only have a couple wins, winning those last few games means making the tournament are not rather than simply determining the seed.

I bet if you invited 75% of the teams in the strong conferences, you'd still get 98% of the attendance. For weaker conferences my guess is inviting the top half will still get 90% of the attendance.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/20/16 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think that $14 million cited by Emmert refers only to the NCAA's loss on running the WBB tournament... I don't think that number has anything at all to do with how much the 300+ colleges lose on WBB, which would be a vastly larger number.

I think Art is probably correct, here.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/20/16 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also believe the $14 million is just off the NCAA tournament but I'm trying to think of the biggest drivers behind the cost. I thought I heard the NCAA provides chartered flights for all teams. Don't teams also travel with cheerleaders and their band? Are they flying too? Some chartered planes are small, so if they can't fit all the cheerleaders and band is it multiple flights per team? Then hotel costs clearly factor in. I think the NCAA now pays for parents to travel to the Final 4, so that's roundtrip flights for maybe 100 or more people. Still seems so high, can't imagine just the flights and hotels are $14 mil.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/20/16 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I think that $14 million cited by Emmert refers only to the NCAA's loss on running the WBB tournament... I don't think that number has anything at all to do with how much the 300+ colleges lose on WBB, which would be a vastly larger number.

That's interesting. I think there are 65 games in the tournament, which means the NCAA loses $215,384 for each game. That seems like a pretty big number. If there are 25 people in each team's traveling party, that's $4,307 a person.

Or, let's say it costs $20,000 a game to put it on (facility rental, TV, security, etc.). OK, now it's $195,000 per game, and that traveling party is still living pretty high on the hog.

But there is gate, there is TV money, there are concessions and parking.

$14 million in losses just for the tournament? I'm not sure I'm convinced.

PostPosted: 04/20/16 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

That's interesting. I think there are 65 games in the tournament, which means the NCAA loses $215,384 for each game. That seems like a pretty big number. If there are 25 people in each team's traveling party, that's $4,307 a person.

Or, let's say it costs $20,000 a game to put it on (facility rental, TV, security, etc.). OK, now it's $195,000 per game, and that traveling party is still living pretty high on the hog.

But there is gate, there is TV money, there are concessions and parking.

$14 million in losses just for the tournament? I'm not sure I'm convinced.

There are 63 games in the women's tournament, but that only changes the math slightly.

Also note that for half the first round games and most of the second round games (possibly all, depending on upsets) one of the teams doesn't have to travel.

PostPosted: 04/20/16 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
If there are 25 people in each team's traveling party, that's $4,307 a person.

Your assumptions are way off to start. The travelling party as defined by the NCAA is 75 people per team, 100 for the final four. It includes 29 band members, a dozen cheerleaders, a mascot, band director, cheer coach, etc. There's travel by charter jet, hotels, local transportation, $200/day per diem per person for three or four days per round, etc. It takes basically a full 737 to transport a single team party. That's not cheap.

They also pay for families of the final four teams - "The NCAA will pay up to $3,000 total in travel, hotel and meal expenses for family members of each student-athlete who competes in the Final Four semifinal games but dont advance to the championships. The NCAA will pay up to $4,000 in expenses for each of the student-athletes who compete in the mens and womens basketball championship games. " Although because that's only the FF it's only about $200,000.

And all that doesn't include considerable NCAA administrative staff at each location, publicity, legal, security, officials, supplies, luncheons and other associated events, etc.

I think the floors and arena equipment are provided by the host, so that shouldn't cost the NCAA.

I'm surprised the loss is only $14 million.

taropatch

PostPosted: 04/20/16 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Though the 14 million appears too high for the 3-week festival called March Madness, WBB loses a lot more than that. Here's a 5 year old article which still carries pertinence.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-04-01/women-s-basketball-teams-operate-in-red-as-salaries-break-college-budgets

taropatch

PostPosted: 04/20/16 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
taropatch wrote:
Quote:

They led the nation in attendance for decades until Nebraska moved to a bigger venue several years ago. Biggest numbers are brought in during the pre-season tourneys when out-of-conference teams are flown in to the islands. 8-9,000 will pack the arena if its a highly ranked opponent. Crowds during regular season average 6500. There is TV revenue also as games are shown live for those of us who reside on neighbor islands with replays later that night.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/21/16 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Phil wrote:
taropatch wrote:
Quote:

They led the nation in attendance for decades until Nebraska moved to a bigger venue several years ago. Biggest numbers are brought in during the pre-season tourneys when out-of-conference teams are flown in to the islands. 8-9,000 will pack the arena if its a highly ranked opponent. Crowds during regular season average 6500. There is TV revenue also as games are shown live for those of us who reside on neighbor islands with replays later that night.

Thanks for the info.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/21/16 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While looking for more information about the dates associated with the 14 million, I stumbled across this, which may be of interest:

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20150322/OPINION03/150329834

The NCAA's annual men's basketball tournament, which started Tuesday, is both a great athletic contest and a crassly commercial enterprise a dichotomy common to college sports that has led to legal and ethical questions about whether student athletes should be paid and organized like professional employees of their universities. Even aside from the confused status of student athletes, college sports is burdened with myths. Here are five of the most common ones.
1. College sports provide enormous profits for schools. ...

Read the whole thing

Phil

PostPosted: 04/21/16 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-ncaa-isnt-going-broke-no-matter-how-much-you-hear-it/?ex_cid=story-twitter

is interesting reading, if only to see the discussion of the financial woes of Yale, vis-a-vis athletics in....1902.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/21/16 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
If there are 25 people in each team's traveling party, that's $4,307 a person.

Your assumptions are way off to start. The travelling party as defined by the NCAA is 75 people per team, 100 for the final four. It includes 29 band members, a dozen cheerleaders, a mascot, band director, cheer coach, etc. There's travel by charter jet, hotels, local transportation, $200/day per diem per person for three or four days per round, etc. It takes basically a full 737 to transport a single team party. That's not cheap.

They also pay for families of the final four teams - "The NCAA will pay up to $3,000 total in travel, hotel and meal expenses for family members of each student-athlete who competes in the Final Four semifinal games but dont advance to the championships. The NCAA will pay up to $4,000 in expenses for each of the student-athletes who compete in the mens and womens basketball championship games. " Although because that's only the FF it's only about $200,000.

And all that doesn't include considerable NCAA administrative staff at each location, publicity, legal, security, officials, supplies, luncheons and other associated events, etc.

I think the floors and arena equipment are provided by the host, so that shouldn't cost the NCAA.

I'm surprised the loss is only $14 million.

Thanks for the info ... each member of the traveling party gets $200 per diem over and above transportation and lodging? That's a lot of nice meals.

PostPosted: 04/21/16 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Thanks for the info ... each member of the traveling party gets $200 per diem over and above transportation and lodging? That's a lot of nice meals.

Actually I think it's $185 the first two weeks and $225 for the final four. But yeah, they don't have to scrimp.

$4000 for the parents for a weekend isn't bad either.

That $14 M loss isn't so surprising once you realize you forgot the mascots. Very Happy

ridor

PostPosted: 04/25/16 5:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why don't the conference schools get to rotate and host their conference tournaments rather than using the public arena in a neutral area, would it help to save money?

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/25/16 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HBO's Real Sports just did a story on how there are only 12 schools (which they did not name) who actually make money or break even of the 300+ Division I Athletic Departments. The burden for making up the deficit comes from student activity fees some as much as a thousand dollars a year if not more. The majority of those students neither attend or participate in extracurricular activities.

The story other than watching on the HBO app or your provider can not be linked here yet. It is still airing on DirecTV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: