RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Former Iowa State star Nikki Moody sues Cyclones coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/18/16 11:47 am    ::: Former Iowa State star Nikki Moody sues Cyclones coach Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15229367/nikki-moody-former-iowa-state-cyclones-star-sues-coach-bill-fennelly

Quote:
Moody claims that Fennelly treated white players differently than African-American players and that Fennelly called her a "thug" multiple times throughout her career. Moody said that Fennelly told Iowa State's freshman players that her senior class, made up of Moody and two other African-American players, were "bad influences" and to stay away from them.

PostPosted: 04/18/16 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

THis coming out so soon after Illinois reached a settlement in the transfer lawsuit.

Fennelly can be a jerk but a lot of Iowa State fans think hes and equal opportunity jerk, especially in gametime situations. No one really knows what transpires out of the public eye.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/18/16 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not the first I've heard of this attitude.

(now with spelling variations)
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/18/16 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was an article on Moody's time at ISU and her relationship with Fennelly from last February.

http://amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-after-years-conflict-how-moody-fennelly-worked-make-her-isu-s-go-player

Quote:
Despite their differences, Fennelly doesn’t think his relationship with Moody will be over when she graduates. In five years, he suggests, he and Moody may sit down and have a beer.

Maybe they’ll talk about her professional career and his years as ISU’s head coach. Maybe, he adds, they’ll sit back and laugh about the way they used to get under each others’ skin.

“I think there are players that, when you’re done coaching them, you appreciate their differences, and as a player, they appreciate what you were trying to do a little bit more than in the moment,” Fennelly said. “That happens. I imagine that’ll be the case with Nikki.”

Some of their issues, Fennelly said, stem from the fact that their stubborn personalities are too similar.

As their player-coach relationship draws to a close, Moody doesn’t doubt Fennelly’s intentions.

“Me having a strong backbone has helped our relationship in a sense that, I understand that he’s trying to help me and at the end of the day, making me see things that I didn’t see before,” Moody said. “He’s taught me the type of person that I don’t want to be and the type that I do, how he does things and trying to adjust.”

Then this from 3 months later:

Quote:
While she may continue a tradition of Cyclones in the draft, Moody doesn’t seem to think her relationship with ISU will be extensive going forward.

“Compared to previous players like Hallie and (Poppens), who have connections to Iowa State, I don’t think mine will be like that,” she said. “I’ll come back for some of the girls, some of the freshmen I’m real close with. But overall, I don’t think I’m going to be up there that much.”

http://amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-back-home-texas-moody-prepares-wnba-draft

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/18/16 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

This.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/16 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What are the odds disappointed stage mom is behind the lawsuit too?

Sounds like mom saw daughter as her meal ticket from age 7 and the lawsuit is her last chance for a big payoff.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/18/16 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Queenie wrote:

This.

X______________

Talk to some of the former players/coaches "off the record" and see what comes out of their mouths.

mred

PostPosted: 04/18/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Fennelly can be a jerk but a lot of Iowa State fans think hes and equal opportunity jerk, especially in gametime situations. No one really knows what transpires out of the public eye.

This quote pretty much sums it up.

Moody allegedly ran off Emiah Bingley, whose father was quite complimentary (publicly and privately, from what I've heard) about the way ISU coaches handled the situation.

A very connected poster on the ISU board says he's heard this has been in the works for months as she's tried to find other players to join in, but the players he knows were approached wanted no part of it.

There are former players who love Fennelly. There are former players who hate Fennelly. It all depends on how you react to his style of coaching. I'm not going to try to justify it (I'd personally hate playing for a coach like that) but he's always been that way.

I guess we'll wait and see what's actually contained within the lawsuit.

Last edited by mred on 04/18/16 2:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/18/16 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Queenie wrote:

This.

X______________

Talk to some of the former players/coaches "off the record" and see what comes out of their mouths.

It's the first I heard of the racist claim (well other than the implications that more often than not, the Cyclone team is white....the most notable exception being maybe during the time that Moody played when there seemed to be more African-American players. Which doesn't mean whit one way or the other.

Now, I've heard and read about the "family-values" aspect of his progam, and everything that that implies.

mred

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
more often than not, the Cyclone team is white....the most notable exception being maybe during the time that Moody played when there seemed to be more African-American players. Which doesn't mean whit one way or the other.

To put a number to it, by my count ISU has 26 incoming freshman from 11-12 (Moody's freshman year) through ISU's two verbals for 2017, and 15 are african-american (or african-german in one case). ISU used to be very white, but not so much anymore.

mred

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Now, I've heard and read about the "family-values" aspect of his progam, and everything that that implies.

Here's a 5-year-old article where that's mentioned. No matter what you think of him, you have to give him credit for doing more than a simple "no-comment".

http://espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?page=Mag15unhealthyclimate

Unfortunately, given the fact that the Moody situation involves litigation, I assume he won't be able to respond publicly.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Cyclone now Gopher Bry Fernstrom tweened:

Quote:
Bry Fernstrom ‏@bfernstrom44 1h1 hour ago

what happens in the dark, always comes to light!

In response, one of the writer's for Cyclone Fanatic has asked her to contact him.

mred

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Quote:

In response, one of the writer's for Cyclone Fanatic has asked her to contact him.

You mean AP, not Cyclone Fanatic?

mred

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double post

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Quote:

Are people taking the "what happens in the dark" to be referring to Fenelly's conduct or Moody's conduct? Whose side is Fernstrom on?

mred

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Are people taking the "what happens in the dark" to be referring to Fenelly's conduct or Moody's conduct? Whose side is Fernstrom on?

Moody's side (Fennelly's conduct), since Fernstrom transferred from ISU at semester this season.

Fernstrom and Moody both were players that struggled at times with lack of effort in games. They both felt Fennelly's ire more than most.

lvf08

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suit documents are here:

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/pdf_b99d4e92-0594-11e6-ae26-3ff19647a924.html

mred

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
Suit documents are here:

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/pdf_b99d4e92-0594-11e6-ae26-3ff19647a924.html

Poppens was Fennelly's favorite player? Of course she was. She played at 100% all the time. That's the same reason Seanna Johnson (african-american) seems to be his favorite player now, and the reason he said much nicer things about Mere Burkhall (african-american) than Bry Fernstrom (white) to the Media.

There's some very concerning stuff in the suit, but most of it is filler (for example, Moody was not the first player suspended by Fennelly).

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/18/16 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Sounds like mom saw daughter as her meal ticket from age 7 and the lawsuit is her last chance for a big payoff.

You've really out done yourself with this post. Shocked
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/16 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Can you try again in English? I have no idea what you're trying to communicate and have to assume you didn't bother reading the articles.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/18/16 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Can you try again in English? I have no idea what you're trying to communicate and have to assume you didn't bother reading the articles.

NM
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/18/16 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

...wtf.

(And yes, I read all of the articles in this thread, plus one additional. And still I say unto thee: WTF.)

(now with spelling variations)
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 04/18/16 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I truly hate this tattle tale age we live in. Everyone in life is turning into a little tattle tale. But...

..if this this true, Finnelly should be fired. Calling a player a thug?

I guess the only way they "prove it" is for other players to sign on.

PostPosted: 04/18/16 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

...wtf.

(And yes, I read all of the articles in this thread, plus one additional. And still I say unto thee: WTF.)

The articles come off to me as presenting a total stage mother. Managed her daughter's basketball development from 1st grade, started an AAU team so she could feature her daughter, thinks her daughter should have gotten all the shots in college, and vocally complained about the coach, about her daughter's suspension, about her daughter's role, for four years. She makes it clear she thinks the team should have revolved around her daughter.

So I think it's a legitimate question who's behind the lawsuit -- the player or her mom.

It remains to be seen about calling her a "thug", but is telling younger players that Moody was a bad influence they should avoid really out of line given her attitude? And most comments seem to term him an equal oportunity hard ass. What's the evidence that his treatment of Moody had any racial element?

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/19/16 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

... Coaches told all the Cyclones to emphasize their "environment" to any visiting recruits: married head coach, straight assistants, kids running underfoot. "Tell them we're family- oriented," the player recalls. "According to the coaches, it needed to be said."

..."I think what's happening," he says, "is, in an odd way, my staff is being penalized because they're married and have families."

http://espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?page=Mag15unhealthyclimate

On sexuality, Bill Fennelly is a male version of Missouri's Robin Pingeton.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: