RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Loyola to investigate its coach Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/16/16 7:52 am    ::: Loyola to investigate its coach Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes Reply Reply with quote

Loyola to investigate its coach, Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes

...The Loyola Phoenix, the student newspaper, reported this week that 10 of the teams 13 players planned to leave because they didnt like the way Swoopes treated them.

The Ramblers went 14-16 during the regular season and finished fifth in the Missouri Valley Conference. After going 6-25 in the 2014-15 season, five players transferred, including one who used the graduate transfer rule to play immediately at a new school...

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/loyola-to-investigate-coach-sheryl-swoopes-hall-of-fame-player/

Loyola Womens Basketball Players Challenge Swoopes Conduct

...Swoopes has a tendency to cross the line when dealing with members of the program in regards to their performances and personal lives, according to a source close to the team who asked to remain anonymous...

http://www.loyolaphoenix.com/2016/04/players-challenge-swoopes-conduct/

tfan

PostPosted: 04/16/16 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow.

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/16/16 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like she's pushing them too hard, and want them to spend their whole lives on the sport. That coaching style is more suitable for professional players. Although, Pat and Geno faced the same rebellion at the beginning of their coaching careers.

She sounds like the boss from hell. Just an unfortunate situation.

Loyola's going to have to do something. You can't keep losing players at the expense of keeping a basketball legend. It's a bad reflection on the program.

PostPosted: 04/16/16 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is all getting absolutely ridiculous.

And what about the ones who stay? Apparently they're okay with her style....or that of other coaches who are being "investigated". I'm starting to think we have a bunch of "me first" athletes, possibly the female equivalent of the "one and done" male athletes.

I except Matt Bollant from this comment, because I think there was something a lot worse going on there, and possibly Joanne P., because of the attrition of assistants to lateral positions.

PostPosted: 04/16/16 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

And what about the ones who stay? Apparently they're okay with her style....or that of other coaches who are being "investigated". I'm starting to think we have a bunch of "me first" athletes, possibly the female equivalent of the "one and done" male athletes.

I except Matt Bollant from this comment, because I think there was something a lot worse going on there, and possibly Joanne P., because of the attrition of assistants to lateral positions.

You have a point. They're not leaving, because of sexual or physical misconduct. They're leaving, because of her "demeanor."

PostPosted: 04/16/16 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

15 players leaving in a two year span?!? The sheer number of players leaving should indicate something is wrong.... Huge disconnect between the coaching staff and players. What are they promising them to get them to campus? On what are they not following through as a coaching staff? THree sides to every story, but that is a lot.

BOllant's situation confounds me. If the racial divisiveness was a prevalent and out in the open as was claimed, and their was discrimination of african american players, how come half the roster at Illini is african american. Three sides to every story.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/16/16 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems to me that college basketball "belongs" to the players. It's their experience, their life, their 15 minutes on the big stage.

Nobody makes money off this except the coaches and to some extent the administrators, and the "glory" involved in having a winning program is pretty minimal, all in all.

And it is 2016, after all, and abuse of power is thankfully being viewed more and more as what is: Bad moral behavior by those in power (in this case coaches) and a horrible role model/teaching mechanism for people (in this case young people).

If Bollant, McCallie, Swoopes, Summitt or whoever abuse that power, cross that moving line between coaching and intruding on the private lives of players -- becoming less a teacher/employer and more a wielder of power for its own sake -- then they should be restrained. And if they can't work within those restraints, they should find another profession.

The players are the sport, and the quality of the players' experience is the most important measure of success. Winning improves everyone's experience, and is a laudable and reasonable goal -- but the end does not justify the means in this situation, and to decry the fact that young people now stand up themselves in cases of abuse is, I think, the exact opposite of what we should be doing.

I would rather have a few coaches fired or driven out who didn't deserve to be than have a few coaches remain who abuse their position and regrettably, abuse it to the point that Tyler Summitt did.

PostPosted: 04/16/16 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When are these coaches going to realize times have changed? What you experienced as a player is not the way it has to be now. Lighten up. These players are student athletes, not robots there to do your bidding.

PostPosted: 04/16/16 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
When are these coaches going to realize times have changed? What you experienced as a player is not the way it has to be now. Lighten up. These players are student athletes, not robots there to do your bidding.

Certainly, times have changed; but "these coaches" is actually a pretty broad spectrum of people. I mean, Matt B., Tyler S., and Sheryl S. are all QUITE different in backgrounds and qualifications.

My best hunch is that Sheryl, like her stellar cohort Coop, simply can't transition easily from being a World Class Player to coaching waaay less talented kids. This is common, no? I mean, I can't even think of many similar situations where there's been a very excellent outcome....Dawn Staley is all I can think of as an exception.

But ya....the indicators that Sheryl was all over their private lives is not a good sign. Who knows? I wish her well, and the program also.

Last edited by Howee on 04/16/16 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/16/16 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hate to break it to anyone who stills views women's basketball as "different" from the men's game and more pure, etc....

But in the 21st Century it is more than a full time job for the players. Which isn't in itself horrible, because they do get their education paid for (at least in D1) and most love the game and the chance to play at a high level, on TV (even if just local) etc.

But if a coach adds a crappy "demeanor" and personality onto the physical, mental and time demands routinely made on players it can get ugly. Imagine getting up at 6 for weight training, having class, practice, film and a mandatory study hall after that.... -- 11 months out of the year now that the NCAA "allows" teams to have eight weeks of summer practice "if they choose to do so" -- and the coach also wants to insert herself into your social life.

There will be blood, or at least a verbal rebellion. Very Happy

BallState1984

PostPosted: 04/17/16 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Straight from the horse's mouth.

I spoke last night with one of the original 10 that bolted from the program.

"She {Swopes) is a terrible human being. She takes your personal issues, turns then against you and then uses them to humiliate you in front of the team. I watched the 30/30 episode on her on ESPN and I still signed. Biggest mistake I ever made."

This is coming from a kid who took the time to grow up at a JUCO and wanted to go to play college ball like her dad and wanted to make a name as good as his.

Ball State is pretty blessed to have Alana Aguirre on the roster.

Last edited by BallState1984 on 04/18/16 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 04/17/16 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

30/30 episode was unflattering? I never seen it, so not sure what that means.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 04/17/16 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
"She {Swopes) is a terrible human being. She takes your personal issues, turns then against you and then uses them to humiliate you in front of the team.

Damn. One might think that one with as....colorful/besmirched....a past as Sheryl's oughtn't EVER create any drama for ANY one on a personal level. Confused

PostPosted: 04/17/16 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:
"She {Swopes) is a terrible human being. She takes your personal issues, turns then against you and then uses them to humiliate you in front of the team.

Damn. One might think that one with as....colorful/besmirched....a past as Sheryl's oughtn't EVER create any drama for ANY one on a personal level. Confused

I've had my own personal experiences with Sheryl. I can say that she was never terrible to me.

On a professional level, she might be a young Tara VanDerveer. VanDerveer has mellowed out over the years, but 20 years ago (when she coached Team USA) she was as hard-nosed as they come. Just ask Jennifer Azzi, who has become like a daughter to Tara. Katrina McClain had a tough time with Andy Landers in the beginning of her college career until Teresa Edwards told her to stop being so soft and sensitive. Sheryl might be adopting similar principles to get her point across, as she grew up in a different era.

I don't know if I agree with those principles as you have to treat each player on your team differently. Everyone isn't the same. Especially, in a era where players are so different.

I'm not going to make assumptions and discredit anyone, because I don't know what the real deal is from either side. Just offering input. I just hope Sheryl isn't projecting her experiences in the game onto others. We live in a different world.

PostPosted: 04/17/16 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Howee wrote:
BallState1984 wrote:

I've had my own personal experiences with Sheryl. I can say that she was never terrible to me.

Well, that's nice. I'd bet there's thousands of people she's 'never terrible' to. But....unless you've PLAYED for her, and can say that....your experience doesn't prove she DIDN'T behave badly to her players at Loyola. The number of incidents/allegations don't reflect favorably on her.

And yes, she deserves a fair and objective investigation.

PostPosted: 04/18/16 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My only interactions with Swoopes were as a journalist, and she was very difficult to deal with. Of all the stars of that era (Cooper, Leslie, etc.), she was the least pleasant to talk to.

Obviously, that doesn't necessarily speak to her relationships with her players, but for what it's worth ...

PostPosted: 04/18/16 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Well, that's nice. I'd bet there's thousands of people she's 'never terrible' to. But....unless you've PLAYED for her, and can say that....your experience doesn't prove she DIDN'T behave badly to her players at Loyola. The number of incidents/allegations don't reflect favorably on her.

And yes, she deserves a fair and objective investigation.

Which is why I highlighted the word "personal" as opposed to professional.

PostPosted: 04/18/16 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Obviously, that doesn't necessarily speak to her relationships with her players, but for what it's worth ...

Yeah, but that speaks volumes.

I am sensitive to people that aren't polite to me. If I'm showing you respect, you better do the same. If you don't, there's going to be a serious problem. There's a serious switch in my personality when people are that way. I would've pulled her ass aside and got my point across. Women, men, children...I don't discriminate.

PostPosted: 04/18/16 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Yeah, but that speaks volumes.

I am sensitive to people that aren't polite to me. If I'm showing you respect, you better do the same. If you don't, there's going to be a serious problem. There's a serious switch in my personality when people are that way. I would've pulled her ass aside and got my point across. Women, men, children...I don't discriminate.

Unfortunately, pulling "her ass aside" wouldn't be an option for her players. Razz

PostPosted: 04/27/16 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0efgtgIFTQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0efgtgIFTQI

PostPosted: 04/28/16 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a coach loses 5 players to transfer in one year, and then 10 in the next, there probably doesn't need to be an investigation. You have just been presented with a sufficient amount of evidence. Unless the school historically has large transfers of the general student body each year for overall school negatives, there has to be some issue with the coach.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/28/16 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sad about this because I was really rooting for Swoopes and it seemed that Loyola was finally coming out of the morass it had sunk into. It seems you never know what's going on underneath the surface. I guess she's not suited for coaching after all. Sad.

PostPosted: 04/28/16 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I'm sad about this because I was really rooting for Swoopes and it seemed that Loyola was finally coming out of the morass it had sunk into. It seems you never know what's going on underneath the surface. I guess she's not suited for coaching after all. Sad.

I agree. My hope is to see some of the very best WNBA players eventually turn to college coaching at a high level, but that seems to be an uncommon career path.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: