RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016-2017 Season Injury and Attrition Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 05/03/16 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mountain West's leading scorer is transferring to Butler's Florida.

www.floridagators.com/news/2016/5/2/womens-basketball-scoring-leader-funda-nakkasoglu-joins-gators.aspx

Funda Nakkasoglu to the Gators from Utah State.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/04/16 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sophomore Alexis Jennings is leaving Kentucky. Pretty soon Mitchell will have no team at all.

PostPosted: 05/05/16 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
The Mountain West's leading scorer is transferring to Butler's Florida.

www.floridagators.com/news/2016/5/2/womens-basketball-scoring-leader-funda-nakkasoglu-joins-gators.aspx

Funda Nakkasoglu to the Gators from Utah State.

Interesting. A Turkish Girl from Australia, going to play in Florida. She's traveling further East with each move. Shocked

PostPosted: 05/05/16 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Huff of Hawaii to transfer to destination-unknown. The Big West 6th Player of the Year, two years in a row, the 6-2 sophomore center was to be the centerpiece of next year's squad. Originally recruited to play for the volleyball program, she left the volleyball team to concentrate on basketball. She was the only Wahine player to bring her "A" game in the NCAA round one loss to UCLA.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 05/05/16 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey Mitchell, Michigan graduate, to Detroit. She missed her freshman year due to an ACL.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/05/16 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brooke Jolivette is leaving North Texas, and expected incoming recruit Mya Johnson is not planning to enroll.

PostPosted: 05/05/16 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Kelsey Mitchell, Michigan graduate, to Detroit. She missed her freshman year due to an ACL.

Now....I'm curious: *could* she stay at Michigan, if she so desired, or is her eligibility there completed?

PostPosted: 05/05/16 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Idk if its been posted anywhere yet but Taylor Johnson from Loyola of Chicago has transferred to Louisville.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/05/16 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Now....I'm curious: *could* she stay at Michigan, if she so desired, or is her eligibility there completed?

You cannot use up your eligibility at one school and still have it for other schools. You have 4 years of eligibility and five years in which to use them. She missed her freshman year due to an ACL injury and thus could have applied for a 5th year from Michigan. But either she wanted to go elsewhere, or Michigan wanted to go in a a different direction. Because Kelsey had graduated, she can transfer to another program and not have to sit out a year.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/06/16 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Howee wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

You cannot use up your eligibility at one school and still have it for other schools. You have 4 years of eligibility and five years in which to use them. She missed her freshman year due to an ACL injury and thus could have applied for a 5th year from Michigan. But either she wanted to go elsewhere, or Michigan wanted to go in a a different direction. Because Kelsey had graduated, she can transfer to another program and not have to sit out a year.

Thank you for the clarification....that makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: 05/06/16 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Technically that's not true with the Ivy League. Graduate students are not allowed to compete in athletics and you cannot be in school and take a redshirt year at the same time there. If you suffer an injury and intend to take an NCAA redshirt and compete for four years in the Ivy League, you must formally withdraw and take a leave of absence from school and then re-enroll in the next year. There are a few examples of this, but the most prominent right now might be Siyani Chambers on Harvard's men's team who left school this year so he could return for next season when healthy.
Had he opted to stay at Harvard he would have been a pretty highly sought after graduate transfer. Ivy League players with remaining eligibility are become popular to pursue in a number of sports.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/06/16 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Howee wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Technically that's not true with the Ivy League. Graduate students are not allowed to compete in athletics and you cannot be in school and take a redshirt year at the same time there. If you suffer an injury and intend to take an NCAA redshirt and compete for four years in the Ivy League, you must formally withdraw and take a leave of absence from school and then re-enroll in the next year. There are a few examples of this, but the most prominent right now might be Siyani Chambers on Harvard's men's team who left school this year so he could return for next season when healthy.
Had he opted to stay at Harvard he would have been a pretty highly sought after graduate transfer. Ivy League players with remaining eligibility are become popular to pursue in a number of sports.

I didn't know that about the Ivy League. I guess that explains why Temi Fagbenle went to USC after 4 years of Harvard but only 3 years of basketball. I found this article in the Harvard Crimson but it did not mention that she couldn't play her last year at Harvard.

http://www.thecrimson.com/blog/the-back-page/article/2015/6/12/harvard-basketball-temi-fagbenle-usc/

Matt5762

PostPosted: 05/06/16 5:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't know that about the Ivy League. I guess that explains why Temi Fagbenle went to USC after 4 years of Harvard but only 3 years of basketball. I found this article in the Harvard Crimson but it did not mention that she couldn't play her last year at Harvard.

http://www.thecrimson.com/blog/the-back-page/article/2015/6/12/harvard-basketball-temi-fagbenle-usc/

For the same reason, Brown's leading scorer Jordin Alexander is transferring to FGCU for her redshirt senior/graduate year in 2016-17. In another peculiarity of this rule, she actually committed to FGCU before the start of her final season at Brown.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/06/16 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a waiver process in some limited injury situations, but as a general rule you have four years rather than five to complete your four years of eligibility in the Ivy League, even in the event of injury.

It's created a strange practice in which many Ivy League athletes in a variety of sports attend post-high-school-graduation prep schools for a year before starting college which replaces the freshman red shirt year they might take at another school to increase their size, strength, and skills. There are some New England prep schools that "specialize" in this.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/06/16 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
There is a waiver process in some limited injury situations, but as a general rule you have four years rather than five to complete your four years of eligibility in the Ivy League, even in the event of injury.

It's created a strange practice in which many Ivy League athletes in a variety of sports attend post-high-school-graduation prep schools for a year before starting college which replaces the freshman red shirt year they might take at another school to increase their size, strength, and skills. There are some New England prep schools that "specialize" in this.

Nothing new. When my brother went off to prep school in 1959 as a 14 year old scholarship kid, 2 boys from my high school who had just graduated went along with him and spent a year there. One went on to Dartmouth where IIRC he wrestled. The other returned to UW-Madison to play football for his dad, who was then the head coach. At that particular school (a tough one, may I add) they were known as "ringers".

PostPosted: 05/07/16 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kaydra Duckett formerly of South Carolina to Coastal Carolina per Raoul on twitter. Two years remaining.

Raoul also reporting that Jatarie White will decide between Texas, NC State, and Virginia Tech.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/07/16 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know it's illogical but something about this thread always strikes me as sad. Once in awhile I can be really happy for a kid transferring but usually it just kind of bothers me. Like I said, it's illogical...

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/07/16 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I know it's illogical but something about this thread always strikes me as sad. Once in awhile I can be really happy for a kid transferring but usually it just kind of bothers me. Like I said, it's illogical...

I agree. College should be one of the great times of your life. But uprooting yourself halfway through and moving to a new community, making new friends, building all new relationships, etc., likely doesn't enhance that experience in most instances.

And how often does it really work out great?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/08/16 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two Mississippi State Bulldog reserves are transferring out. Junior-to-be Forward LaKaris Salter and classmate Kayla Nevitt. Salter is from Talahassee and Nevitt from Houston area.

http://insidemsusports.com/2016/05/07/salter-transferring-from-msu/

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/08/16 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
What were Corsaro's other top schools?

According to the Indy Star, Corsaro had offers from Indiana, Dayton, Iowa and Iowa State at the time she committed to UK. However, she had committed as a sophomore in high school in May 2014, so had she waited a bit it's unquestioned she would have gotten a ton more offers from the major programs, being a 5* and McD AA. She only took one of her allotted 5 official visits, and that was to Kentucky on a weekend, and then she committed early the following week....

According to her father she hasn't totally ruled UK out: she's just stepping back and reviewing her options, and will take more OVs....

Corsaro's new list is cut to Baylor, Indiana, Michigan, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA and Washington. And Raoul is reporting that it could be Ionescu and Corsaro to Washington.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/08/16 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I agree. College should be one of the great times of your life. But uprooting yourself halfway through and moving to a new community, making new friends, building all new relationships, etc., likely doesn't enhance that experience in most instances.

And how often does it really work out great?

I did it because I was miserable in my first college, and it DID work out great. It wasn't uncommon then and it's not now. Really, Art, you're setting up straw men. Most 18 year olds aren't all that great at making choices, and some are pretty bad at it. Transferring was and is, if not the norm, at least not an uncommon thing. And then there are the kids who do their first couple of years at a community college for the sake of finances. That usually works out pretty well too.

PostPosted: 05/10/16 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelly Koshuta is transferring from Virginia Tech after finishing her freshman year. Thanks to Raoul (https://twitter.com/Raoul_000) for providing the link.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/sports/former-five-star-recruit-kelly-koshuta-announces-decision-to-leave/article_4930bfd8-164f-11e6-9334-5f9b7fa353dd.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/10/16 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal Poly has landed 6'3 center Devin Stanback, a transfer from Pepperdine.

PostPosted: 05/10/16 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Cal Poly has landed 6'3 center Devin Stanback, a transfer from Pepperdine.

Interesting move by her. Hopefully she can help Cal Poly get back to the top of the Big West.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/10/16 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raoul reporting Chatrice White to Florida State via Twitter. Excellent pick up for Sue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: