RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016-2017 Season Injury and Attrition Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/18/16 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Va Tech F Alana Gilmer transferring to Marist.

Several transfers out. I guess maybe some of them don't like Kenny's tougher attitude or workouts. He's a great guy with a soft voice, but he does mean business.

PostPosted: 05/19/16 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The leading scorer in D1 at 28.7 ppg, Jasmine Nwajei, is transferring from Wagner to Syracuse with one year of eligibility left.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160517/sports/305179886/
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/19/16 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The leading scorer in D1 at 28.7 ppg, Jasmine Nwajei, is transferring from Wagner to Syracuse with one year of eligibility left.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160517/sports/305179886/

Better catch up, Glenn, you're several days behind Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/19/16 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Several transfers out. I guess maybe some of them don't like Kenny's tougher attitude or workouts. He's a great guy with a soft voice, but he does mean business.

Why do you often times assume a player is transferring or not playing because they can't "handle" the coach or academics?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/19/16 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Why do you often times assume a player is transferring or not playing because they can't "handle" the coach or academics?

Because it's often the case, especially in the case of a new coach...clashing personalities or philosophies. And sometimes the kids can't deal with the academics at high-powered schools. It's a fact.

PostPosted: 05/20/16 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Kentucky down to 6, as Chanin Scott is granted her release.

What!? They only have 6 roster players left?? Shocked

PostPosted: 05/20/16 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Kentucky down to 6, as Chanin Scott is granted her release.

What!? They only have 6 roster players left?? Shocked

Now they are up to 7 as just yesterday they had a commitment switch from La Tech to Kentucky (3-star PG Jaida Roper). It seems as if she will be available next year, despite the fact that she had already signed with La Tech (before that fiasco).

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/article78769647.html

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/21/16 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Because it's often the case, especially in the case of a new coach...clashing personalities or philosophies. And sometimes the kids can't deal with the academics at high-powered schools. It's a fact.

I don't disagree it happens, I'm sure it happens with a lot of people, but I think that is an unfair judgement to the player when it is possible that is not case. Just as it does happen with many people, it is also not something that is an issue for many people.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 05/21/16 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know if the numbers have jumped significantly on transfers or are we just hearing about them through social media?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/21/16 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Anyone know if the numbers have jumped significantly on transfers or are we just hearing about them through social media?

They sure seem up, especially at the high end. The HS class of 2013 has been especially bad at the top with transfers, as players ranked 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 14, 15, and 19 all transferred, which is 45% of the top 20!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/21/16 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

They sure seem up, especially at the high end. The HS class of 2013 has been especially bad at the top with transfers, as players ranked 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 14, 15, and 19 all transferred, which is 45% of the top 20!

If you mentioned where they transferred FROM, that would be of more significance.

PostPosted: 05/21/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I don't disagree it happens, I'm sure it happens with a lot of people, but I think that is an unfair judgement to the player when it is possible that is not case. Just as it does happen with many people, it is also not something that is an issue for many people.

It's probably 90% a difference with the coach, either philosophy or temperament, 5% homesickness, and the other 5% a mix of academics and the general atmosphere of the school. That would be my guess.

And it's not a "judgment" as you seem to think. It's just a fact of life. Geez.

PostPosted: 05/21/16 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

If you mentioned where they transferred FROM, that would be of more significance.

From where the class of 2013 top 20 recruits transferred:

2. Georgia Tech
3. UNC (she started the emigration)
4. Notre Dame
5. Kentucky (she started the deluge)
7. UNC
8. Tennessee
14. UNC
15. Maryland
19. Baylor

Does that add significance? Things I note:

- Three were from a program undergoing an NCAA investigation (DeShields, Gray, and Washington).

- Four were getting lots of playing time on E8 teams that were not UNC (Reimer from ND, Harper from Kentucky, Small from Baylor, and Brown from Maryland).

- One was from a school that stunk before she committed there are stunk when she left (Davis from GTech).

- One had a harrowing experience with a psycho ex-boyfriend and then suffered basketball-related injury issues (Tucker from Tennessee).

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/21/16 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

From where the class of 2013 top 20 recruits transferred:

2. Georgia Tech
3. UNC (she started the emigration)
4. Notre Dame
5. Kentucky (she started the deluge)
7. UNC
8. Tennessee
14. UNC
15. Maryland
19. Baylor

Does that add significance? Things I note:

- Three were from a program undergoing an NCAA investigation (DeShields, Gray, and Washington).

- Four were getting lots of playing time on E8 teams that were not UNC (Reimer from ND, Harper from Kentucky, Small from Baylor, and Brown from Maryland).

- One was from a school that stunk before she committed there are stunk when she left (Davis from GTech).

- One had a harrowing experience with a psycho ex-boyfriend and then suffered basketball-related injury issues (Tucker from Tennessee).

Thanks, FA, that clarifies a lot. I remember poor Jannah Tucker. I hope she found some peace at Villanova. Her injury issues were bad but it seemed a lot of her problems were just so very much fear-related. She had a lot of fan support and support from her teammates and the coaching staff at Tennessee but just so much to overcome. Probably a smaller environment was best for her.

PostPosted: 05/21/16 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

It's probably 90% a difference with the coach, either philosophy or temperament, 5% homesickness, and the other 5% a mix of academics and the general atmosphere of the school. That would be my guess.

How is saying "I guess maybe some of them don't like Kenny's tougher attitude or worksouts" stating a fact of like, do you know for a fact some of them don't like it, or are you stating an opinion (making a judgement) based on information you know. And for other players you have said "possibly she was academically ineligible?". How is that stating a fact of life? Which part of questioning a person's academic record is stating a fact of life?

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/21/16 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information on Cal State Fullerton. They had 12 players on their roster last season, no seniors and they currently have 6 players on their roster for 2016-2017. I found information on 3 players, 2 transfer for a DII school in Florida, the other has a full release, but I haven't found anything on where she is transferring to. They lost 4 of their top 5 scorers (not counting a player that left in the middle of the season because family issues) and 2 coaches.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/21/16 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

How is saying "I guess maybe some of them don't like Kenny's tougher attitude or worksouts" stating a fact of like, do you know for a fact some of them don't like it, or are you stating an opinion (making a judgement) based on information you know. And for other players you have said "possibly she was academically ineligible?". How is that stating a fact of life? Which part of questioning a person's academic record is stating a fact of life?

I am not going to discuss anything further with you as long as you continue to twist my words into something I did not say. Have a nice day.

PostPosted: 05/22/16 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Thanks, FA, that clarifies a lot. I remember poor Jannah Tucker. I hope she found some peace at Villanova. Her injury issues were bad but it seemed a lot of her problems were just so very much fear-related. She had a lot of fan support and support from her teammates and the coaching staff at Tennessee but just so much to overcome. Probably a smaller environment was best for her.

How is this a fact of life or of anything else? It's another judgment, unless you have inside knowledge of Tucker's state of mind, which would be ill-advised to post on a public forum.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 05/22/16 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Does anyone have any information on Cal State Fullerton. They had 12 players on their roster last season, no seniors and they currently have 6 players on their roster for 2016-2017. I found information on 3 players, 2 transfer for a DII school in Florida, the other has a full release, but I haven't found anything on where she is transferring to. They lost 4 of their top 5 scorers (not counting a player that left in the middle of the season because family issues) and 2 coaches.

I am surprised they still have their head coach, considering the record of the team since he has been there. However, I doubt CSF did very much vetting on the hiring process when he was hired.

Michele Berry, who was a freshman last year, is a talented player. She is one of the players gone.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/22/16 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

How is this a fact of life or of anything else? It's another judgment, unless you have inside knowledge of Tucker's state of mind, which would be ill-advised to post on a public forum.

It's a freaking GUESS, just like a lot of stuff that's posted on here! Good grief! People post stuff like that all the time about other players RIGHT HERE on rebkell. Jannah's story happened to be a story I followed very closely because of my *personal* experience with domestic violence and knowledge of how it affects women for a long time afterward. Perhaps you don't follow the Knoxville and Lady Vol news media as closely as I do, and perhaps you don't have the knowledge or experience of dealing with domestic violence that I have.

PostPosted: 05/22/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

It's a freaking GUESS, just like a lot of stuff that's posted on here! Good grief! People post stuff like that all the time about other players RIGHT HERE on rebkell. Jannah's story happened to be a story I followed very closely because of my *personal* experience with domestic violence and knowledge of how it affects women for a long time afterward. Perhaps you don't follow the Knoxville and Lady Vol news media as closely as I do, and perhaps you don't have the knowledge or experience of dealing with domestic violence that I have.

I'm glad you've told us you're making a "freaking GUESS," and not relaying facts of life regarding specific players. What you don't seem to get is how judgmental and harsh your guesses are when they're loaded with things like inability to deal with a coach's toughness, or academic inadequacy, or fear, and you don't have specific information for them.

And yes, I follow Lady Vols news media very closely, although I admit to giving up my subscription to The Summitt because I couldn't stand the cheerleading and now have little access to Maria Cornelius' writing. And I do have extensive knowlege of domestic violence. Additional assumptions laid to rest.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/22/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I'm glad you've told us you're making a "freaking GUESS," and not relaying facts of life regarding specific players. What you don't seem to get is how judgmental and harsh your guesses are when they're loaded with things like inability to deal with a coach's toughness, or academic inadequacy, or fear, and you don't have specific information for them.

And yes, I follow Lady Vols news media very closely, although I admit to giving up my subscription to The Summitt because I couldn't stand the cheerleading and now have little access to Maria Cornelius' writing. And I do have extensive knowlege of domestic violence. Additional assumptions laid to rest.

And maybe you don't get that when a person says "maybe" or "perhaps" it's a GUESS???????

BTW, I refuse to have anything to do with The Summitt for the same reason, and I quit govols247 because I couldn't stand the "fans on the hill". You know who I mean.....the ones who wouldn't be happy if you hung 'em with a new rope.

PostPosted: 05/23/16 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5th year senior Alecia Bell, 6'l G from U of Delaware, transferring to D-II Lenoir-Rhyne for her final season. I've seen her play and she'll definitely benefit L-R and get more playing time there.

PostPosted: 05/23/16 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colorado has granted incoming freshman recruit Bria Rice, a 5'8 G, her release from the letter of intent she signed for 2016. Rice is from Federal Way, WA.

PostPosted: 05/23/16 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
5th year senior Alecia Bell, 6'l G from U of Delaware, transferring to D-II Lenoir-Rhyne for her final season. I've seen her play and she'll definitely benefit L-R and get more playing time there.

Interesting, I didn't realize she was also transferring. All I knew of from Delaware is that Hannah Friend received her release and will be transferring.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17

Jump to: