RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Duke launches investigation into possible player mistreatmen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/16/16 3:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was the sentiment of Michigan State fans when JPMc left for Duke.

It's the top vid on this link.

http://downloader.site/Ding-Dong-She-s-Gone%28GaFSZk1sriA%29

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/22/16 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a response by one of her former players:

" Thank you, XXXXX XXXXXXX, for publicly showing your support for Joanne P. McCallie. It turns out I have many thoughts about this subject and hadn’t thought to share them. While I do not know the details at Duke, I did live four years of my life playing ball under Coach P. I feel I have earned the right to say I know her. She had a large part in shaping who I am.

She pushed me on a regular basis to be more than I had been in the moments before. At times, she pushed me beyond what felt normal for a human being. And for better or worse, moving beyond exhaustion (mentally & physically) now comes quite naturally to me. It has served me well. I presently work in a high stress profession. In spite of that, and because of that, I love what I do. It fills me. At times, I work long hours, past what would feel like fatigue, and yet maintain focus to ensure the safety of all involved.

My years of early morning rising for weights, track, and gym time leave my body craving the 4:30 endorphin rush I get at the gym. Then I show up at work alert and ready for whatever comes. It is not an overstatement to say that Coach P has shaped my every day.

In sports, we ride a fine line when it comes to human interaction. Communication can be intense - often with an imbalance between the drive to push and the want to be pushed. I would imagine it must be a constant presence and challenge for any college coach. Division I women’s basketball is intense all on its own, but add in a coach who is truly driven to be the best, and the expectations rise exponentially. The best demand the best, as it should be.

And let’s be honest, females are emotional beings. We have division I basketball, high levels of intensity, emotional females (who were the best before they entered a program where they now are average compared to their colleagues/teammates), plus a coach who is demanding more, whether they want to give it or not. A recipe for organized internal chaos, perhaps.

I was that emotional female, who went from the best to average. At Coach P’s tongue, did I ever feel hurt? Yes. Under her watchful eye, did I ever feel frustrated and angry? Of course. Did I also experience all the highs of competition, exceeding expectations, overcoming challenges? Did it foster my appreciation for life and make me a more rich and expanded person because of it? Absolutely. You betcha.

I recall many a practice, where on the end, exhausted and in a pile of sweat, we would be on the floor working every last bit of life we felt we had to give. Coach P would be pep talking us about how she was preparing us for life. I remember her saying that we might not fully comprehend what she was saying then, but with time, we would appreciate our potential and be more prepared for what life threw at us.

She was dead on. She shaped my work ethic, as well as my belief and knowing in my ever expanding potential. She may shape basketball players, but more than that, she shapes solid human beings. Her heart is huge.

I don’t know what happened at Duke, but I’d be willing to bet money (and pardon my language) that the one getting the shit-end-of-the-stick right now is Joanne McCallie.

Personally, I am filled with appreciation, respect and love for her presence in my life."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how popcorn goes with coffee. A little early in the day for popcorn, but that may require that I pop some and sit back and wait for the maelstrom.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/22/16 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Random thoughts...
I'm thinking coaches need to take out personal liability insurance.

And what keeps coming to mind is the old homily, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Personally I don't think one ever needs to scream at another human being. But I also wouldn't consider that abuse. Sticks and stones...

We all make choices and then live with the consequences. I mean kids had to know what Coach Knight was like, yet they continued to sign up to play for him...

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/16 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to know what IS ok for a coach to do in response to a player that isn't prepared, isn't motivated, won't put in the effort, or won't play the way the coach wants the game played.

Supposedly,
Raising your voice - abuse
Calling the player lazy - abuse
Calling the player out of shape - abuse
Calling the player unprepared - abuse
Saying anything else that might be considered less than complimentary (even if entirely true) - abuse
Benching the player, reducing her minutes, or taking her out of the starting lineup - abuse
Not running plays intended to give said player more shots - abuse
Suspending the player - abuse
Running extra wind sprints - abuse
Singling the underperforming player out from the pack for any individualized criticism - abuse

All I can think is that there are some players who are going to get a rude awakening when they finally enter the real world workforce. They'd better hope that either they are superstars, or they can go to work for mommy or daddy's company, because no one else is going to coddle them like this.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/22/16 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I wonder how popcorn goes with coffee. A little early in the day for popcorn, but that may require that I pop some and sit back and wait for the maelstrom.

Dunno about regular popcorn, but caramel corn goes VERY well....try that! Wink

PostPosted: 04/22/16 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since it is a private school and not subject to FOIA, I suspect we will never know the true nature of the behavior and/or incidents that led to the player and coach departures...and the investigation.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 04/22/16 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

"

Do we know what school this person is from?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/23/16 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

" While I do not know the details at Duke,."

This is all we need to know. She knows nothing about what happened at Duke. And neither does anybody else here.

Here's what you can expect from the investigation:

JPM will no longer be at Duke. In exchange for accepting a less than full buyout, we will not learn the details of what transpired. All here should take from this that it went beyond some yelling and insults. Those trying to diminish what happened by suggesting the players are pansies are completely and totally ignorant. You don't like JPM throwing players under the bus, then you shouldn't do it either. Just like in a game, the coach's actions are on her 100%.

~rAf
bucks4now

PostPosted: 04/23/16 5:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

" While I do not know the details at Duke,."

This is all we need to know. She knows nothing about what happened at Duke. And neither does anybody else here.

Here's what you can expect from the investigation:

JPM will no longer be at Duke. In exchange for accepting a less than full buyout, we will not learn the details of what transpired. All here should take from this that it went beyond some yelling and insults. Those trying to diminish what happened by suggesting the players are pansies are completely and totally ignorant. You don't like JPM throwing players under the bus, then you shouldn't do it either. Just like in a game, the coach's actions are on her 100%.

Wait a minute...I don't have an opinion on this topic. From reading the letter, it sounds like she was requested for input. She could be from Duke or not. A simple question. I didn't ask who it was, just the school she attended.

greatgator

PostPosted: 04/23/16 5:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

"

Do we know what school this person is from?

When this letter was initially posted there was a name mentioned at the top, and I searched the name and learned the player was a JuCo transfer from one of McCallie's Michigan State teams. Why was the name subsequently redacted?

Howee

PostPosted: 04/24/16 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

" Thank you, XXXXX XXXXXXX, for publicly showing your support for Joanne P. McCallie. It turns out I have many thoughts about this subject and hadn’t thought to share them. While I do not know the details at Duke, I did live four years of my life playing ball under Coach P. I feel I have earned the right to say I know her. She had a large part in shaping who I am.......
Personally, I am filled with appreciation, respect and love for her presence in my life."

This letter is, I'm sure, most genuine and real. It merely demonstrates that at least ONE player saw the best side of JPM, and was made better by having played for her.

I also believe that JPM wasn't always a lousy coach/nasty person. She undoubtedly had her share of successes. But--Peter Principle Incarnate--she rose to a level where the pressure was too much, and she could not even sustain mediocrity, never mind rise to excellence. However the dynamic played out, I think it's in everybody's best interest to see her gone.

PostPosted: 05/06/16 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Debbie Antonelli weighs in on McCallie

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article76130947.html

PRballer

PostPosted: 05/07/16 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
Debbie Antonelli weighs in on McCallie

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article76130947.html

Dang, go Debbie. That was well said.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/07/16 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have any of her former assistants who left for lateral positions commented? I'm sure that would be interesting to hear.

PostPosted: 05/07/16 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Have any of her former assistants who left for lateral positions commented? I'm sure that would be interesting to hear.

According to the article none have commented (at least not on the record). But I bet that some of her AC's have spoken to investigators at Duke. They may not want to appear as malcontents or AC's that turn on their HC, but off the record they are probably more forthcoming.

greatgator

PostPosted: 05/07/16 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

From the article

Quote:
Four assistant coaches – Joy Cheek, Shannon Perry, Trisha Stafford-Odom and Samantha Williams – have taken lateral positions at other schools during McCallie’s tenure.

School representatives at Louisville, where Williams is now an assistant coach, declined to make her available for an interview. Also, representatives at Ohio State, where Cheek – a Duke alumna – is an assistant, declined to make her available.

Representatives at UCLA, where Perry is an assistant, did not respond to requests for comment. Stafford-Odom, who left Duke for UNC after the after the 2010-11 season, could not be reached for comment.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/08/16 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

I'm sure they have interesting things to say to the investigating committee. Since they all uprooted themselves to do the same job for a different coach, it's fairly easy to imagine what they're telling them.

I, for one, am extremely glad that a wbb journalist/commentator has now stated publicly what they've all been saying privately for quite some time. McCallie is a failure on and off the floor. The only area she's been successful - recruiting - is negated by the lack of even one Final Four.

I will be OH so happy to finally post Duke's version of "Ding Dong the witch is gone."

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/08/16 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come to think of it, it's not really good form to publicly trash one's former employer, so I can understand why the former assistants would not speak publicly.

However, it's not really all that odd for an assistant from one place to take an assistant position at another. It seems to happen pretty frequently, if you look at the "Coaching Movement" thread.

PostPosted: 05/08/16 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article says that they were either not made available or did nit respond.

That seems weird....You would think thy would want their stories heard.

Maybe a matter of not burning bridges??

Hope the players testimonials will be enough

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I'm sure they have interesting things to say to the investigating committee. Since they all uprooted themselves to do the same job for a different coach, it's fairly easy to imagine what they're telling them.

I, for one, am extremely glad that a wbb journalist/commentator has now stated publicly what they've all been saying privately for quite some time. McCallie is a failure on and off the floor. The only area she's been successful - recruiting - is negated by the lack of even one Final Four.

I will be OH so happy to finally post Duke's version of "Ding Dong the witch is gone."

greatgator

PostPosted: 05/08/16 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
The article says that they were either not made available or did nit respond.

That seems weird....You would think thy would want their stories heard.

Maybe a matter of not burning bridges??

Hope the players testimonials will be enough

I suspect they will be willing to talk to Duke investigators even if unwilling to talk to a reported.

goforit77

PostPosted: 05/08/16 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Word it out...Duke is Keeping McCallie
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-completes-investigation-into-women-s-basketball-program/15691741/

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/08/16 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welp.

Time to drink heavily, Duke fans and those who want Duke to get back on their feet.

PostPosted: 05/08/16 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Welp.

Time to drink heavily, Duke fans and those who want Duke to get back on their feet.

I have some scotch here, but I'd rather see State be Great.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/08/16 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Welp.

Duke AD is a little weenie. The rest of you should be interested as well since it shows an utter lack of interest in the women's game.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: