RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Duke launches investigation into possible player mistreatmen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEF34

PostPosted: 05/10/16 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Have any of her former assistants who left for lateral positions commented? I'm sure that would be interesting to hear.

From the article

Quote:
Four assistant coaches Joy Cheek, Shannon Perry, Trisha Stafford-Odom and Samantha Williams have taken lateral positions at other schools during McCallies tenure.

School representatives at Louisville, where Williams is now an assistant coach, declined to make her available for an interview. Also, representatives at Ohio State, where Cheek a Duke alumna is an assistant, declined to make her available.

Representatives at UCLA, where Perry is an assistant, did not respond to requests for comment. Stafford-Odom, who left Duke for UNC after the after the 2010-11 season, could not be reached for comment.

It should be noted the Shannon Perry didn't go from one coaching position to another coaching position, she stopped coaching at Duke in 2009 and didn't start at UCLA until 2011. I don't know what led to her choosing to stop coaching at the time, but her situation is different than what the reports are making it sound like.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 05/10/16 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts

1. Duke knew this was not going to be a popular decision, hence the Sunday late night release. To say face, my thoughts are that this will be her last year. Whether they fire her, buy her out, or she resigns is still up for debate.

2. Debbie made her own personal statements about the situation. I doubt that their were inside talks with her. She just stated her opinion. Yes, it's rare in today's society, but refreshing.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/10/16 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what people are talking about when they refer to critical and unfavorable comments by Antonelli, or that Antonelli was "set up" to make such comments.

The comments by her in the Raleigh newswpaper are, to my eyes, very general, restrained, vanilla and stick-to-the factual. There are no real money quotes that should raise eyebrows, but here are Antonelli's few observational nuggets, all of which have been made many times by many commentators about many teams:

Quote:
What Joanne does offensively and defensively is very predictable, said Antonelli, who has worked many Duke games over the years. There is no element of surprise. . . ."

Coaches today have to be able to build relationships with their players so that when you get on them, they understand that the reason youre getting on them is because youre trying to help them become better so the team can win, Antonelli said. You would wonder, if you have all this talent, what kind of relationship-building skills are there, and maybe thats something the evaluation will come up with, and that will be able to help Joanne.

Joanne has continued to draw top classes, and yet they have not been able to win at the highest level, Antonelli said. I assume thats something that Duke wants to do, because they have done it historically.

Antonelli says PMac is mediocre technical coach, has relationship challenges like all coaches today, and has not yet won at the highest level even with top recruiting classes. We all know that. Pure vanilla. Antonelli nowhere in this article says or suggests the PMac is engaging in some sort of reprehensible personal conduct with players or assistant coaches.
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/10/16 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't call it pure vanilla. This, to me, would qualify as that flavor: "I'm not really privy to what's going on at Duke, but Joanne has a great record, is a great recruiter and her record speaks for itself."

Antonelli might not exactly be Cherry Garcia, but I'd say maybe chocolate chip.

PostPosted: 05/10/16 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I don't know what people are talking about when they refer to critical and unfavorable comments by Antonelli, or that Antonelli was "set up" to make such comments.

The comments by her in the Raleigh newswpaper are, to my eyes, very general, restrained, vanilla and stick-to-the factual. There are no real money quotes that should raise eyebrows, but here are Antonelli's few observational nuggets, all of which have been made many times by many commentators about many teams:

Quote:
What Joanne does offensively and defensively is very predictable, said Antonelli, who has worked many Duke games over the years. There is no element of surprise. . . ."

Coaches today have to be able to build relationships with their players so that when you get on them, they understand that the reason youre getting on them is because youre trying to help them become better so the team can win, Antonelli said. You would wonder, if you have all this talent, what kind of relationship-building skills are there, and maybe thats something the evaluation will come up with, and that will be able to help Joanne.

Joanne has continued to draw top classes, and yet they have not been able to win at the highest level, Antonelli said. I assume thats something that Duke wants to do, because they have done it historically.

Antonelli says PMac is mediocre technical coach, has relationship challenges like all coaches today, and has not yet won at the highest level even with top recruiting classes. We all know that. Pure vanilla. Antonelli nowhere in this article says or suggests the PMac is engaging in some sort of reprehensible personal conduct with players or assistant coaches.

While true that commentators have stated similar ideas during broadcasts, rarely are the comments repeated as there are not transcripts available that you can bring forth as proof of what was said. And anyone who has friends in the commentator/wbb journalist/wbb coaching world KNOWS that 99.9% of people in these fields agree with everything Antonelli said. But they haven't gone on the record with these statements as Antonelli did.

Believe it or not, there are ostriches at Duke who continue to deny there is a problem. They point to Duke/JPM record prior to ND & Louisville joining the ACC as proof. There are also fans here who delight in denying what is obviously true just for the sheer fun of it. For these people, it's important to have proof of what professional wbb analysts think about this coach.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/10/16 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
goforit77 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
Apparently the guy who runs DWHoops.com quit the site after all this brouhaha.

Quit which site? Both of the main two guys have become more open in their criticism of JPM since the firing of Lauren Rice. For many, this firing was the clearest evidence of just how warped JPM is and was the proverbial "last straw."

They are suspending the site until Duke has a new coach

Where did you hear that? Just today, Orin tweeted "We will be back for the 2016-17 season with an all new format - stay tuned!"

Look at the tweet more closely - was referring to ACCwbb

I read it. I know what it said. The two are essentially the same thing but one is marketed to non-Duke fans. Has the same photos and stories. You're not seriously suggesting he'll produce the ACC verson and not the Duke version which accounts for most of his sales are you?

As I asked, where did Orin say he was suspending anything? He retweeted the "back for 2016-17" under his Duke twitter handle. Is there a tweet or announcement I missed? Can you please link to it?

Jeesh. Holy "some people will argue anything just for the fun of creating misery" Batman. There will be substantive changes in the website. Period. The tweet does not disprove anything. It doesn't pay to argue about something you know so little about.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 05/10/16 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I wouldn't call it pure vanilla. This, to me, would qualify as that flavor: "I'm not really privy to what's going on at Duke, but Joanne has a great record, is a great recruiter and her record speaks for itself."

Laughing Laughing Well, there's no accounting for *taste*, eh? If she had said THAT, that would just be pure BS flavor. But I'd agree....Deb said things more explicitly than many of her peer might have, but nothing outrageous.

PostPosted: 05/12/16 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
A couple of thoughts

1. Duke knew this was not going to be a popular decision, hence the Sunday late night release. To say face, my thoughts are that this will be her last year. Whether they fire her, buy her out, or she resigns is still up for debate.

2. Debbie made her own personal statements about the situation. I doubt that their were inside talks with her. She just stated her opinion. Yes, it's rare in today's society, but refreshing.

The ACC Coaches meetings started Monday, so it's safe to assume that Duke wanted closure before their coach had to appear in public with the media present.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/12/16 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lobsterdevil wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
A couple of thoughts

The ACC Coaches meetings started Monday, so it's safe to assume that Duke wanted closure before their coach had to appear in public with the media present.

So what do you think she's going to say in response to the inevitable questions?

It would certainly be disappointing if no reporter asked her what lessons she took from the review process and what changes she intended to make.

It would be consistant with White's history for him to give her a multi-year extension any day now.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/12/16 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

So what do you think she's going to say in response to the inevitable questions?

"I, er um, think is was all the fault of #34...or was that #22. Well, whichever one it was, we will do a better job of shutting her down next time....Next question?"

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/12/16 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

"I, er um, think is was all the fault of #34...or was that #22. Well, whichever one it was, we will do a better job of shutting her down next time....Next question?"

Very Happy

greatgator

PostPosted: 05/12/16 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently, she's unwilling to entertain questions about it

https://twitter.com/ArmstrongABC11/status/730417180962115585

https://twitter.com/ArmstrongABC11/status/730467656596344834

https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/730466965437984768[/url]

greatgator

PostPosted: 05/12/16 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

You forgot about her standard line that there are "lessons to be learned"

greatgator

PostPosted: 07/01/16 6:10 pm    ::: McCallie discusses HR evaluation, high-profile departures Reply Reply with quote

This is who she is..she can't help it

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/07/qa-duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-mccallie-discusses-hr-evaluation-recent-high-profile-departures[/url]

greatgator

PostPosted: 07/01/16 6:21 pm    ::: Geno responds to McCallie criticism Reply Reply with quote

Duke's McCallie Criticizes Geno For Taking Transfers; His Response? She Should 'Try A Little Harder'

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-duke-coach-blasts-geno-0702-20160701-story.html

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/01/16 7:57 pm    ::: Re: McCallie discusses HR evaluation, high-profile departure Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/07/qa-duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-mccallie-discusses-hr-evaluation-recent-high-profile-departures[/url]

Wow, she's got some serious issues with taking responsibility for her own actions and faults. Also, she sounded like a butt-hurt child when it came to discussing Azur's transfer to UConn. Of course there are exceptions to a "no transfers" rule when it comes to a player like Stevens and Geno isn't stupid enough not to try and land her. *Shaking my head*

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/02/16 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's one of the stupidest coaches I've ever seen in my life.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/02/16 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think she's stupid...every time I read her comments I become more convinced that she's got a personality disorder, either borderline or latent anti-social disorder. She clearly has no concept of relating to other people or how others might view her, hence the over-the-top remarks.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/02/16 1:29 pm    ::: Re: McCallie discusses HR evaluation, high-profile departure Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:

O.M.G.
What a disgusting, self-serving POS. Throwing shade everywhere except where it belongs. This interview, to me, shows the pattern of someone with a narcissistic personality disorder. If I had a daughter with DI BB potential, Duke would now be completely OFF the list, instead of just at the very bottom. Forget the academics, the coach would not be worth it.

And the AD is a wuss.

PostPosted: 07/02/16 2:47 pm    ::: Re: McCallie discusses HR evaluation, high-profile departure Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
greatgator wrote:

O.M.G.
What a disgusting, self-serving POS. Throwing shade everywhere except where it belongs. This interview, to me, shows the pattern of someone with a narcissistic personality disorder. If I had a daughter with DI BB potential, Duke would now be completely OFF the list, instead of just at the very bottom. Forget the academics, the coach would not be worth it.

And the AD is a wuss.

Ding! Ding! Ding! She is the definition of a narcissist.

As always, there will be some JPM apologists trolling on this thread just for fun. Likely people who are fans of teams that gain from Duke remaining non-competitive.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/02/16 5:48 pm    ::: Re: McCallie discusses HR evaluation, high-profile departure Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
greatgator wrote:

O.M.G.

And the AD is a wuss.

Ding! Ding! Ding! She is the definition of a narcissist.

As always, there will be some JPM apologists trolling on this thread just for fun. Likely people who are fans of teams that gain from Duke remaining non-competitive.

Well, Tennessee certainly does, though they haven't scheduled Duke for some years now. But if they have to play Duke in any tournament settings I think the Lady Vols would have the advantage (besides which I think they will be on a mission next year, but that's another story entirely). However, IIRC Duke has played pretty much a cupcake OOC schedule the last few years. But whether or not Tennessee gains or loses from JPM being Duke's coach, you could never count me as a JPM apologist. I haven't been a fan of hers for some time now but I was frankly appalled by this interview. Or maybe horrified would be a better word.

PostPosted: 07/03/16 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I don't think she's stupid...every time I read her comments I become more convinced that she's got a personality disorder, either borderline or latent anti-social disorder. She clearly has no concept of relating to other people or how others might view her, hence the over-the-top remarks.

....and her 'type' probably really DOES think Azura transferred to UConn *just* to get a National Championship. Rolling Eyes It's more likely that Azura got the chance to experience Real Coaching for USA basketball, and she realized what a loser JPM really was and needed to get out.

Sad, really.

PostPosted: 07/03/16 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

....and her 'type' probably really DOES think Azura transferred to UConn *just* to get a National Championship. Rolling Eyes It's more likely that Azura got the chance to experience Real Coaching for USA basketball, and she realized what a loser JPM really was and needed to get out.

Sad, really.

I think you could say that of *every single one* of the players who left.....they were all looking for a Real Coach. They probably each had a different idea of what that consisted of, but they dang sure knew what it wasn't!

PostPosted: 07/03/16 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Sad, really.

I think you could say that of *every single one* of the players who left.....they were all looking for a Real Coach. They probably each had a different idea of what that consisted of, but they dang sure knew what it wasn't!

Where is Kendall Cooper? She should've been a Bruin but decided at the very last minute to commit to Duke. Now where is she?

greatgator

PostPosted: 07/04/16 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:

Where is Kendall Cooper? She should've been a Bruin but decided at the very last minute to commit to Duke. Now where is she?

Likely back to to Duke..from the article linked earlier in this thread

"TC: Do you also expect to have Kendall Cooper back for the start of the season?

JPM: We expect to. When I say that, I say that respectfully, though, because she still has to go through the process, and that is sort of just happening right around now in terms of the process of being readmitted to Duke and coming back, but I definitely expect it and hope for it and think it would be a great thing.
"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: