RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Duke launches investigation into possible player mistreatmen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/08/16 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well ReadyAimFire got one thing right anyhow:

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

This is all we need to know. She knows nothing about what happened at Duke. And neither does anybody else here.

The rest of it, not so much:

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Here's what you can expect from the investigation:

JPM will no longer be at Duke.
In exchange for accepting a less than full buyout, we will not learn the details of what transpired. All here should take from this that it went beyond some yelling and insults. Those trying to diminish what happened by suggesting the players are pansies are completely and totally ignorant. You don't like JPM throwing players under the bus, then you shouldn't do it either. Just like in a game, the coach's actions are on her 100%.

"Head coach Joanne P. McCallie will remain the head coach following an investigation of the women's basketball program by a Duke human resources professional, the athletic department announced Sunday night.

“Joanne P. McCallie is, and will be, our head women’s basketball coach and we support her," Kevin White, vice president and director of athletics, said in a release.
"

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/05/duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-mccallie-remains-following-program-investigation

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/09/16 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My condolences to RAF and other Duke fans, and WCB in general.

It's obviously good news for the rest of ACC WCB.

Remind me- when does her contract expire?

PostPosted: 05/09/16 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

McCallie signed a contract extension through the 2018-19 season in April 2013.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 05/09/16 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Shame on Duke for refusing to spend the money!

Also, if I were Debbie Antonelli, I'd be ticked off at Duke for setting me up to go on the record saying so many critical things about JPM's coaching. I have to believe she was assured that JPM was on her way out. I don't know how a network could hire her to call games for Duke after that.

Sorry, ~rAf.

Your only hope is that -- no matter how farfetched -- this was negotiated as part of a face-saving buyout deal for JPM to resign and take another job "on her own terms". Not likely, though, I know.

Last edited by ripleydc on 05/09/16 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
greatgator

PostPosted: 05/09/16 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:

Also, if I were Debbie Antonelli, I'd be ticked off at Duke for setting me up to go on the record saying so many critical things about JPM's coaching. I have to believe she was assured that JPM was on her way out. I don't know how a network could hire her to call games for Duke after that.

Debbie Antonelli went on record with a Raleigh newspaper reporter rather than Duke. I hope Antonelli continues to work whatever Duke games are broadcast in the future.

I also hope reporters will continue to ask McCallie press conference questions about off court issues and developments.

greatgator

PostPosted: 05/09/16 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:

Debbie Antonelli went on record with a Raleigh newspaper reporter rather than Duke. I hope Antonelli continues to work whatever Duke games are broadcast in the future.

I also hope reporters will continue to ask McCallie press conference questions about off court issues and developments.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 05/09/16 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:

Yes, but I don't believe for a second that Debbie would have given such an unfavorable review (on the record) of JPM's coaching if Duke hadn't assured her that Coach P was on her way out. Articles like that one don't just pop up out of the blue; somebody had a hand in setting it up. My guess is that Duke Athletics is that somebody.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/09/16 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After investigation, Joanne P. McCallie to remain Duke women’s basketball coach

Quote:
“The purpose of this evaluation, which Duke Athletics initiated with an outside party, was for Duke women’s basketball to get even better,” White said. “I have discussed the results at length with Coach McCallie, and we are indeed in a position to improve Duke women’s basketball for present and future student-athletes, coaches, and staff alike.”

“The information we received from this process, and the subsequent conversations with Duke Athletics leadership, afforded me an opportunity to consider my ongoing efforts to be the best possible basketball coach and leader of young women,” McCallie said in the statement.

“After in-depth discussions with Dr. White, I am satisfied that we share a clear vision moving forward in our aspirations to maintain a championship level women’s basketball program. Going forward, I expect these to be the reasons the Duke women’s basketball program is in the spotlight, and, as the head coach, it is my responsibility to make it happen.”

Insufficient there there to take punitive actions against McCallie. To the contrary, some of this is worded as to sound almost as an endorsement of her.

Part of this Duke situation is akin to Tennessee under Warlick. While 330 of the 350 D1 schools would kill to have the record and success of these two coaches, there remains a very vocal anti-coach clique of claqueurs.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/09/16 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
greatgator wrote:

Yes, but I don't believe for a second that Debbie would have given such an unfavorable review (on the record) of JPM's coaching if Duke hadn't assured her that Coach P was on her way out. Articles like that one don't just pop up out of the blue; somebody had a hand in setting it up. My guess is that Duke Athletics is that somebody.

More likely someone at Duke trying to influence the outcome but who was not actually in a position to know or control the outcome.

I suspect Antonnelli is pissed right now at whomever used her to try to advance their own agenda.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/09/16 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:
“The purpose of this evaluation, which Duke Athletics initiated with an outside party, was for Duke women’s basketball to get even better,” White said. “I have discussed the results at length with Coach McCallie, and we are indeed in a position to improve Duke women’s basketball for present and future student-athletes, coaches, and staff alike.”

“The information we received from this process, and the subsequent conversations with Duke Athletics leadership, afforded me an opportunity to consider my ongoing efforts to be the best possible basketball coach and leader of young women,” McCallie said in the statement.

“After in-depth discussions with Dr. White, I am satisfied that we share a clear vision moving forward in our aspirations to maintain a championship level women’s basketball program. Going forward, I expect these to be the reasons the Duke women’s basketball program is in the spotlight, and, as the head coach, it is my responsibility to make it happen.”

Insufficient there there to take punitive actions against McCallie. To the contrary, some of this is worded as to sound almost as an endorsement of her.

Part of this Duke situation is akin to Tennessee under Warlick. While 330 of the 350 D1 schools would kill to have the record and success of these two coaches, there remains a very vocal anti-coach clique of claqueurs.

The one big difference is that Warlick seems like a very nice, likeable person, while McCallie seems, at least from a distance, to be a thoroughly unlikeable, self-centered, person. (Although she must be likeable enough sitting in the living rooms of 16 year old girls and their parents because they keep signing up).

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/09/16 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:

Obviously Glenn does not pay attention very well. While it is true that in 4 years their *records* have been similar, Tennessee has not been afflicted with mass transfers OUT, and Holly has done more with less than has JPM. That is particularly true of this year's team in the tournament. Also, anyone following Pat Summitt would have serious problems just for the fact of following a legend. JPM had no such problems but seems to have managed, over the course of her career there, to have diminished a heretofore very vocal and very *present* fan base. In her case, I don't think it's a *small* and "very vocal anti-coach clique of claquers."

At Tennessee (which I know very well, having spent 30+ years there) there is a group derisively known as "the fans on the hill" who wouldn't be happy with anything.....well, MAYBE 3 NCs in a row; last time they whined because there were only 2, that's how bad they are. Some people, as my dad used to say, wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a new rope.

PostPosted: 05/09/16 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Obviously Glenn does not pay attention very well. While it is true that in 4 years their *records* have been similar, Tennessee has not been afflicted with mass transfers OUT, and Holly has done more with less than has JPM.

What?

Tenn was playing this year with a #1, #3, #5, #6, #12 etc. per Hoopgurlz. Duke had nothing even close to that. I doubt anyone in the country other than Uconn had a comparable roster on paper this year.

There are probably lots of distictions you can make between Warlick and McCallie but Warlick doing "more with less" sure as hell isn't one of them.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 05/09/16 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently the guy who runs DWHoops.com quit the site after all this brouhaha.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/09/16 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Shame on Duke for refusing to spend the money!

Sorry, ~rAf.

Your only hope is that -- no matter how farfetched -- this was negotiated as part of a face-saving buyout deal for JPM to resign and take another job "on her own terms". Not likely, though, I know.

Thanks, Ripley. Got humor to help me get through this neverending nightmare? Debbie Antonelli has just become my favorite wbb commentator. She's got guts. Since she was voicing what virtually every wbb journalist, commentator, coach has been thinking or saying off the record, I'm not sure there will be negative rebound. I mean, being freed from watching Duke play IS a positive!

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/09/16 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

Quit which site? Both of the main two guys have become more open in their criticism of JPM since the firing of Lauren Rice. For many, this firing was the clearest evidence of just how warped JPM is and was the proverbial "last straw."

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/09/16 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Thanks Cth. Don't see how this is good for the ACC if you think of conference competition gets a team ready for March Madness. Obviously, UConn's lack of competition in the AAC hasn't hurt, but that's an anomaly that otherwise proves the rule.

~rAf
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 05/09/16 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Quit which site? Both of the main two guys have become more open in their criticism of JPM since the firing of Lauren Rice. For many, this firing was the clearest evidence of just how warped JPM is and was the proverbial "last straw."

Sorry, I meant quit DWHoops.com.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/09/16 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, it's obviously not good for the ACC to have both Duke and UNC collapsing and losing both games and players.

Much better for the league and all the other schools to have both of those schools winning and highly ranked.

If it wasn't for newcomers ND, Louisville and Syracuse, ACC WBB would be in really serious trouble right now.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/09/16 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
No, it's obviously not good for the ACC to have both Duke and UNC collapsing and losing both games and players.

Much better for the league and all the other schools to have both of those schools winning and highly ranked.

If it wasn't for newcomers ND, Louisville and Syracuse, ACC WBB would be in really serious trouble right now.

True. Even if it does signal the apocalypse, I agree with Art. This one statement. Period. And think of it this way, all the stats mentioned by the AD when "standing behind" JPM are from pre ND & Louisville in the ACC.

~rAf
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/09/16 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesus.

Strictly from a winning the conf titles POV, it's better for the other teams.

If one considers Warwick to be a subpar coach, then it's better for the other SEC teams that she remains at the LV's helm.

I doubt the fate of the ACC has anything to do w/ the strength of Duke WCB.

Who spoke of UNC? Not me.

PostPosted: 05/09/16 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

They are suspending the site until Duke has a new coach

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/09/16 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Where did you hear that? Just today, Orin tweeted "We will be back for the 2016-17 season with an all new format - stay tuned!"

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/09/16 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
goforit77 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Where did you hear that? Just today, Orin tweeted "We will be back for the 2016-17 season with an all new format - stay tuned!"

Look at the tweet more closely - was referring to ACCwbb

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/10/16 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
goforit77 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Look at the tweet more closely - was referring to ACCwbb

I read it. I know what it said. The two are essentially the same thing but one is marketed to non-Duke fans. Has the same photos and stories. You're not seriously suggesting he'll produce the ACC verson and not the Duke version which accounts for most of his sales are you?

As I asked, where did Orin say he was suspending anything? He retweeted the "back for 2016-17" under his Duke twitter handle. Is there a tweet or announcement I missed? Can you please link to it?

Howee

PostPosted: 05/10/16 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

I also hope reporters will continue to ask McCallie press conference questions about off court issues and developments

Absolutely! Unless Deb has some tangible proof that her observations were dead wrong, I hope she continues to hold the collective Feet of Duke's program to the fire; her observations should be consistently reiterated, so more can see what she's talking about [re: perennially predictable strategy on defense and offense, for example], to help enact a change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: