RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nebraska Coaching Mess
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/16 11:47 am    ::: Nebraska Coaching Mess Reply Reply with quote

This just gets more interesting after the fact.

Just a recap.

During the season it was reported that several players and asst. coaches went to the administration and complained that then head coach Connie Yori was contributing to a harsh environment that included strenuous practices, forcing players to play injured, and just a divisive environment. The administration responded by conducting an investigation which included supervised practices. Also, upon failing to make the NCAAs, Yori initially announced that the team would not accept a WNIT bid. However in an about face the team not only accepted a bid but hosted the first round in which they were trounced. Yori resigned last week. Nebraska bought out her contract paying her over a million dollars. Yori has been going through an extremely difficult custody battle and divorce.

More stuff:

Starting sophomore guard asks for release; disputes allegations against Yori; says team was immature. http://m.omaha.com/huskers/natalie-romeo-denies-yori-allegations-gets-permission-to-transfer-another/article_120e7182-fdcf-11e5-8884-bb581687a7f2.html?mode=Jim

Mark Shepherd, father of Frosh Forward talks about his daughters close bond with Yori - http://m.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/women-s-basketball-father-of-jessica-she lard-talks-about-connie/article_2543fd00-fc33-11e5-a60b-971120c1acab.html?mode=jqm

Former players weigh in claiming they are stunned by allegations - http://m.omaha.com/huskers/connie-yori-resigns-as-husker-women-s-basketball-coach-amid/article_a0040cd0-fb55-11e5-afd7-cb6951f681ae.html?mode=jqm

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From one of the articles comes this commentary from Nathan Schlautman, a four year practice player for the Huskers who estimates participating in anywhere between 80-90% of 300 practices during that time

Quote:
The larger problem, Schlautman said, was a lack of “player leadership” and an “unwillingness” to be coached. He described situations in which a player refused to run back downcourt on defense after made baskets, and another in which a player, after several prompts from the coaching staff, wouldn’t raise her hands on defense.

Schlautman said a “majority” of the players were “soft, entitled and uncoachable” this season, although there were “a few” who worked as hard as many of the players on Yori’s former teams.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jan Bethea, who left the Husker program after a five year stint as Director of Basketball Operations, has filed a lawsuit claiming mistreatment during her time in Lincoln.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/former-women-s-hoops-staffer-says-she-filed-discrimination-complaint/article_256e341c-a9b0-5dcd-9c14-624902862dc7.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like, in view of a lot of the comments, that may have been some whiny types on the team that spoiled it for others. Sometimes there are. The training staff may also be at fault (with the injury thing), and possibly one or more of the assistants could be a more "pushy" type. As for the player who was sick, how many of you are familiar with people who just keep on trucking and insist they "feel fine" even when you're pretty sure they don't?

Natalie Romeo will be a prize for just about any team. i also wonder how many recruits will renege.....looking particularly at Hannah Whitish, who iis from near my home town in WI.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Sounds like, in view of a lot of the comments, that may have been some whiny types on the team that spoiled it for others. Sometimes there are. The training staff may also be at fault (with the injury thing), and possibly one or more of the assistants could be a more "pushy" type. As for the player who was sick, how many of you are familiar with people who just keep on trucking and insist they "feel fine" even when you're pretty sure they don't?

Natalie Romeo will be a prize for just about any team. i also wonder how many recruits will renege.....looking particularly at Hannah Whitish, who iis from near my home town in WI.

Kids these days, because of asshole parents, are getting worse and worse. I clearly have no knowledge of much on the subject but one can speculate after they read this. It sounds to me like some of these kids were probably a nightmare.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Found it interesting that a former player was at practices and thought things were fine. Guy practice players said practices got easier over the years. Players say things were fine. Even with all of that it does seem sort of amazing that in a he said-she said, a few people with negative views can completely overtake the others who say nothing is wrong. Not saying one is more correct than the other, but a coach was essentially fired for what? No one can seem to agree on the severity of the allegations. Certainly a slippery slope

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Found it interesting that a former player was at practices and thought things were fine. Guy practice players said practices got easier over the years. Players say things were fine. Even with all of that it does seem sort of amazing that in a he said-she said, a few people with negative views can completely overtake the others who say nothing is wrong. Not saying one is more correct than the other, but a coach was essentially fired for what? No one can seem to agree on the severity of the allegations. Certainly a slippery slope

Kind of makes you wonder if she was called in to be asked about the complaints, and she, being pretty raw from the divorce and everything *that* entails, just kind of imploded and said something along the lines of, "Fine, you want me out of here? I'm gone!" Not saying that's what happened, but it's a possible scenario.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

I find it curious that two of the three biggest stars are fully supportive of Yori. So who's doing the complaining?
I don't think we've heard anything from Theriot, have we?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/16 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, the timing is bad. I'd much rather have Yori coaching the Gophers over Stollings. I've witnessed a marine sargeant style about her in the 2010 early round NCAA's, but players shouldn't take that personally. Maybe she didn't balance the toughness enough with respect.... I dunno. But some school is gonna get a gift here.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/10/16 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/09/16 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Man, the timing is bad. I'd much rather have Yori coaching the Gophers over Stollings. I've witnessed a military sargeant style about her in the 2010 early round NCAA's, but players shouldn't take that personally. Maybe she didn't balance the toughness enough with respect.... I dunno. But some school is gonna get a gift here.

Stollings has done pretty well but I think she was pretty fortunate to inherit players like Banham, Zahui B and even Wagner. People said Borton wasn't a good recruiter but look at those three right there, and I don't think Stollings has been able to attract similar caliber recruits yet. Given that the Gophers style of play would seemingly be more attractive to play in now vs. Borton's teams, I don't know why that is.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/16 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sounds like this job will go to Amy Williams, head coach of the University of South Dakota and Champions of the postseason WNIT. If she wants it.

Pending lawsuit.

Dissention in the ranks.

Even for an alum, is this atteactive?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect it's not a totally unattractive proposition for Yori to GTFO of Lincoln at this time. After a divorce, particularly if it's contentious or nasty, a change of scenery is often a fine thing. I know for me it was. I think she's a very good coach and would be an excellent hire for somebody.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I suspect it's not a totally unattractive proposition for Yori to GTFO of Lincoln at this time. After a divorce, particularly if it's contentious or nasty, a change of scenery is often a fine thing. I know for me it was. I think she's a very good coach and would be an excellent hire for somebody.

What happens with the custody battle may determine if she can get out of Lincoln.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What happens with the custody battle may determine if she can get out of Lincoln.

Argh. How old are the kids?

PostPosted: 04/09/16 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

There's only one, an 11 year old

PostPosted: 04/09/16 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

There's only one, an 11 year old

Don't know what the law is in Nebraska, but in a lot of states, that's old enough to have a good bit of input on the issue.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 5:01 pm    ::: Re: Nebraska Coaching Mess Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
This just gets more interesting after the fact.

Just a recap.

During the season it was reported that several players and asst. coaches went to the administration and complained that then head coach Connie Yori was contributing to a harsh environment that included strenuous practices, forcing players to play injured, and just a divisive environment. The administration responded by conducting an investigation which included supervised practices. Also, upon failing to make the NCAAs, Yori initially announced that the team would not accept a WNIT bid. However in an about face the team not only accepted a bid but hosted the first round in which they were trounced. Yori resigned last week. Nebraska bought out her contract paying her over a million dollars. Yori has been going through an extremely difficult custody battle and divorce.

More stuff:

Starting sophomore guard asks for release; disputes allegations against Yori; says team was immature. http://m.omaha.com/huskers/natalie-romeo-denies-yori-allegations-gets-permission-to-transfer-another/article_120e7182-fdcf-11e5-8884-bb581687a7f2.html?mode=Jim

Mark Shepherd, father of Frosh Forward talks about his daughters close bond with Yori - http://m.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/women-s-basketball-father-of-jessica-she lard-talks-about-connie/article_2543fd00-fc33-11e5-a60b-971120c1acab.html?mode=jqm

Former players weigh in claiming they are stunned by allegations - http://m.omaha.com/huskers/connie-yori-resigns-as-husker-women-s-basketball-coach-amid/article_a0040cd0-fb55-11e5-afd7-cb6951f681ae.html?mode=jqm

When a coach mistreats players, not all players get the same treatment. The players defending the coach sound a LOT like Joy Cheek during McCallie's early years at Duke. Cheek came back as asst coach and then abruptly left for a lateral move to Ohio State. It was crystal clear she no longer wanted to have any association with McCallie. JPM "got back" by accusing Cheek of making inappropriate contact with a player who transferred to Ohio State after Cheek was working there.

The point of this is: do not simply swallow the story that the players who claim to be mistreated are just 'whiny." Coaches have targets for the majority of mistreatment and unless you've been a similar target, it's easy to deny the impact and call the persons targeted as being 'soft and whiny.' Just like it happened to Joy, when the target becomes YOU, it changes the entire experience and perspective.

~rAf
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/16 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Kind of makes you wonder if she was called in to be asked about the complaints, and she, being pretty raw from the divorce and everything *that* entails, just kind of imploded and said something along the lines of, "Fine, you want me out of here? I'm gone!" Not saying that's what happened, but it's a possible scenario.

I could see that perspective. Shitstorm in personal life and then the university has people watching my practices, looking over my shoulder. I'm done. Clean the slate.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 04/09/16 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Stollings has done pretty well but I think she was pretty fortunate to inherit players like Banham, Zahui B and even Wagner. People said Borton wasn't a good recruiter but look at those three right there, .....

Borton landing Banham & Wagner wasn't tough. They "dreamed" of being Gophers, so you or I could have been the head coach. AZB was a find by 1 of her asst coaches. Borton & Co. in fact repelled more Minnesota talent then she could attracted and many took advantage of other opportunities. Her misses of the top players in MN H.S. '12 & '13 classes were WAY too many and pretty much did her in.

Durantula wrote:
... and I don't think Stollings has been able to attract similar caliber recruits yet. Given that the Gophers style of play would seemingly be more attractive to play in now vs. Borton's teams, I don't know why that is.

The depth of Minnesota talent since '13 had fallen off a bit IMHO so Stallings hasn't missed much that Borton could get to commit but there are some really talented, high potential MN players coming along in the '18-'20 classes Stallings & Co. really need to land.

As for Nebraska, a nice, unexpected B10 opening. Now they just have to find the right person.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And more stuff.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/842d1d9b8b3d4ee8abd289a9e1fce65a/nebraskas-natalie-romeo-immature-players-pushed-out-yori

There were disagreements allegedly in front of the team between the athletic trainer and Yori about which players could participate in which drills do too health issues.

More information from a practice player about how several players weren't motivated or compliant in practice

Reiteration of Romeo's thoughts that practices were easy and many on the team were immature.

Talks briefly about Yoris divorce.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you are the trainer, you do NOT yell at the coach in front of the team. You just don't. That is effing STUPID. If you have concerns, you discuss them with the coach privately and you also DON'T go running to the administration like a 2-year-old running to her mommy. I don't know what this woman was hoping to gain, but I think she may have deep-sixed her career if even half of this is true. I've seen sixth graders act more mature.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
When you are the trainer, you do NOT yell at the coach in front of the team. You just don't. That is effing STUPID. If you have concerns, you discuss them with the coach privately and you also DON'T go running to the administration like a 2-year-old running to her mommy. I don't know what this woman was hoping to gain, but I think she may have deep-sixed her career if even half of this is true. I've seen sixth graders act more mature.

And of course the other side is that Maybe desperate situTions call for desperate measures. What If the trainer really feels like the student athlete is in peril and needs an advocate at that very moment? I would expect the trainer to intervene. In some form.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I'm late to this party! I didn't hear Yori left.

Is there a connection between "practices being easier this year" and practices being monitored?

I don't doubt Yori is tough or that some players are spoiled, but it seems weird it escalated to the point it did, if that's all it was.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was from an article posted last week about the investigation and what prompted it.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/yori-out-as-nebraska-women-s-basketball-coach/article_3266e814-fb41-11e5-a21f-affa8006eb5c.html#utm_source=journalstar.com&utm_campaign=%2Femail-updates%2Fbreaking%2F&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

Quote:
A source with knowledge of the situation, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Journal Star more than 10 players from the 2015-16 team, along with some support staff members, approached Nebraska athletic department administrators in early February with concerns about Yori’s treatment of players.

Quote:
Two sources also said a former director of basketball operations has come forward with a complaint against Yori for discrimination, and that Yori forced staff members to lie in vouching for her whereabouts as it relates to Yori's custody battle for their 11-year-old son. Yori and her husband, Kirk Helms, are in divorce proceedings.

There's a lot of stuff: players complaining about hostile intimidating environment, staff worried about players being forced to play, impending discrimination lawsuit, assistants being asked to lie about coaches personal life. If I'm AD I'm thinking, I don't get a handle on this situation, I'll have the NCAA in house getting a handle on this situation.

tahoma17

PostPosted: 04/10/16 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Yori story brought to mind this article about one of the reasons Rhonda Rompola retired from SMU this year

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/coach-says-athlete-entitlement-factor-her-retirement-180746233--ncaaw.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: