RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Pam Parsons Story
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/16 10:41 am    ::: The Pam Parsons Story Reply Reply with quote

In light of the Summitt scandal and the comparative questions it brings about coach-player relationships, gender, etc. I came across this. I've followed women's basketball for almost 30 years but never heard of Pam Parsons, the Head Womens Coach at first, Old Dominion, and later of The University of South Carolina "Carolina Chicks". The events in his story take place approx. 33 years ago.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960414&slug=2324080

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/09/16 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I remember that.

Hard to believe it's been 33 years.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/09/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have never heard about this story before.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't recall that at all. I do think it's a rotten shame that neither one can work at any more than they do. They probably could if they left where they currently live though, just not in basketball unfortunately.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wanted to title this thread the Pam Parsons Project. Glad I followed restraint.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/09/16 5:17 pm    ::: Re: The Pam Parsons Story Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
In light of the Summitt scandal and the comparative questions it brings about coach-player relationships, gender, etc. I came across this. I've followed women's basketball for almost 30 years but never heard of Pam Parsons, the Head Womens Coach at first, Old Dominion, and later of The University of South Carolina "Carolina Chicks". The events in his story take place approx. 33 years ago.

Hilarious and highly ironic that Sylvia Hatchell is quoted in this story as saying that the terrible thing about the story is that coaches would use lesbians as a negative recruiting tool. Ironic since that is EXACTLY what Hatchell was doing!!! She went into a high school recruit's living room and told that player and her parents that the player would be "safe" from lesbians UNLIKE THE OTHER TWO SCHOOLS DOWN THE ROAD (Duke and NC State). The player and her family, who describe themselves as "straight but not narrow" immediately crossed off UNC from her list and then chose Duke. The player did play with out lesbians while at Duke but did not 'catch the disease.'

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 5:22 pm    ::: Re: The Pam Parsons Story Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Hilarious and highly ironic that Sylvia Hatchell is quoted in this story as saying that the terrible thing about the story is that coaches would use lesbians as a negative recruiting tool. Ironic since that is EXACTLY what Hatchell was doing!!! She went into a high school recruit's living room and told that player and her parents that the player would be "safe" from lesbians UNLIKE THE OTHER TWO SCHOOLS DOWN THE ROAD (Duke and NC State). The player and her family, who describe themselves as "straight but not narrow" immediately crossed off UNC from her list and then chose Duke. The player did play with out lesbians while at Duke but did not 'catch the disease.'

That's a tactic that Robin Pingeton at Mizzou is said to use (although not trashing other schools AFAIK) but making the point to parents that "WE'RE ALL STRAIGHT HERE!" It's one of the reasons I dislike her so much.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Utah had a gay bar in the early/mid eighties????? Shocked

Quote:
Then Babs DeLay, a disc jockey from Salt Lake City, testified that Parsons was a card-carrying member of a gay bar there and that the couple had visited 20 to 30 times.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/16 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Utah had a gay bar in the early/mid eighties????? Shocked

Quote:
Then Babs DeLay, a disc jockey from Salt Lake City, testified that Parsons was a card-carrying member of a gay bar there and that the couple had visited 20 to 30 times.

Puss 'n' Boots.

Here's Babs story.

http://benwilliamswritings.blogspot.com/2013/07/1984-pam-parson-scandal-21-march-2005.html?m=1

Pam also commented on Pokey Chapman's exodus from the Bayou.

http://espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2817182

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/16 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Pam also commented on Pokey Chapman's exodus from the Bayou.

http://espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2817182

Quote:
Now, after Chatman's resignation because of alleged improper
conduct with a former player

PostPosted: 04/10/16 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't it possible that the athlete was a player at the time of the relationship with Chatman but a former player by the time the relationship was reported in the press?

tfan

PostPosted: 04/10/16 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AllOnePlanet wrote:
Isn't it possible that the athlete was a player at the time of the relationship with Chatman but a former player by the time the relationship was reported in the press?

Seems more than possible. Hard to see the charges leading to her termination unless that was the case.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/16 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
AllOnePlanet wrote:

Seems more than possible. Hard to see the charges leading to her termination unless that was the case.

They fired her for being a lesbian and being a little too open about it.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
AllOnePlanet wrote:

Does "open" in this case mean having an intimate relationship w/ a player?

Do you think the asst coach who spilled the beans was just an asshole Christian or maybe just a jealous c? If the latter, jealous of what?

PostPosted: 04/10/16 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
AllOnePlanet wrote:

Do you think the asst coach who spilled the beans was just an asshole Christian or maybe just a jealous c? If the latter, jealous of what?

A former player.

I do not know the motivations of the whistle blower.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
AllOnePlanet wrote:

A former player.

Ok, so your contention is Pokey never had an inappropriate relationship w/ a player and the whistle blower, for reason/s unknown, told the administration Chatman was gay?

Last question-Is this verifiable fact or speculation?

PostPosted: 04/10/16 10:15 am    ::: Re: The Pam Parsons Story Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I've always heard this rumor that the Dookies have put out there about Sylvia but Sylvia has had/have lesbians on her team.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/16 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
AllOnePlanet wrote:

A former player.

Ok, so your contention is Pokey never had an inappropriate relationship w/ a player and the whistle blower, for reason/s unknown, told the administration Chatman was gay?

Last question-Is this verifiable fact or speculation?

I'd also like to hear the basis for assuming there was only one. LSU's official statement indicated more than one over a several year period and it was reported "School officials confirmed those conclusions, noting the statement was written very precisely and that, plurals were used for a reason when referring to the allegations."

http://blackathlete.net/2007/03/lsu-finally-addresses-the-pokey-chatman-scandal/

My assumption is that the reason the school paid her off was that they had no written policy on which to rely in firing her.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/10/16 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the players named in the past transferred out of LSU before her senior season -- she was a "former player" in that regard, but clearly was on LSU's roster when the supposed relationship occurred.

And there were two names commonly mentioned ...

PostPosted: 04/11/16 1:10 am    ::: Re: The Pam Parsons Story Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
That's a tactic that Robin Pingeton at Mizzou is said to use (although not trashing other schools AFAIK) but making the point to parents that "WE'RE ALL STRAIGHT HERE!" It's one of the reasons I dislike her so much.

I'd investigate that theory if you REALLY wanna dislike someone over it: the allegations were there, but I know Mechelle Voepel did some investigation and did not see it to be founded in reality. Pingeton was alleged to perhaps overuse the "Family Atmosphere" pitch a bit much, but that was about it.

Heavens knows, Pingeton (or anyone, for that matter) would be idiotic to use those actual words, given the demise of Renee Portland at Penn State.

PostPosted: 04/11/16 6:30 am    ::: Re: The Pam Parsons Story Reply Reply with quote

(Heterosexual) Love and (Women's) Basketball April 20, 2010

When the University of Missouris just-hired womens basketball coach spoke at a press conference this month, her message couldnt have been much clearer.

Im a Christian that happens to be a coach, Robin Pingeton -- who was hired away from Illinois State University -- said as her husband and three-year-old son looked on. My values are very important to me.

Though her mention of religion might have rubbed some observers the wrong way, it gave players, fans and others at the university a sense of who she was. But in womens athletics, where theres often an undercurrent of homophobia and a sense that female players and coaches need to prove theyre straight, Pingetons comments, along with what she said a few minutes later, seemed to be sending a message about more than just her faith.

Im very blessed to have my staff here, she said. This is something very unique, I think, for Division I women's basketball to have a staff that the entire staff is married with kids. Family is important to us and we live it every day....

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/04/20/basketball

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/11/16 8:29 am    ::: Re: The Pam Parsons Story Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

When the University of Missouris just-hired womens basketball coach spoke at a press conference this month, her message couldnt have been much clearer.

Im a Christian that happens to be a coach, Robin Pingeton -- who was hired away from Illinois State University -- said as her husband and three-year-old son looked on. My values are very important to me.

Though her mention of religion might have rubbed some observers the wrong way, it gave players, fans and others at the university a sense of who she was. But in womens athletics, where theres often an undercurrent of homophobia and a sense that female players and coaches need to prove theyre straight, Pingetons comments, along with what she said a few minutes later, seemed to be sending a message about more than just her faith.

Im very blessed to have my staff here, she said. This is something very unique, I think, for Division I women's basketball to have a staff that the entire staff is married with kids. Family is important to us and we live it every day....

If you don't see the subtext, then fine.

I also don't like her because IMO her team plays very dirty. Or, to put it another way, she has certain players who play very dirty and she either allows it or outright encourages it.

PostPosted: 04/11/16 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this breaking news, that many self-identified Christians are homophobic dimwits?

PostPosted: 04/11/16 12:06 pm    ::: Re: The Pam Parsons Story Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

This author wrote something factual, and Pingeton's words can be taken quite literally, with no ill will or intent. Unless you WANT to *believe* more. It's a statement of philosophy and identity. Personally, I'd be more concerned if I were a Jew or a Buddhist than a lesbian if I wanted to play for Mizzou.

I personally would put far more stock in Voepel's insights; it's her alma mater, and she was quite interested in the story as it broke. She told me she saw nothing 'scary' or concerning back then, when it first showed up on peoples' radar screens.

summertime blues wrote:
If you don't see the subtext, then fine.

We ALL see whatever subtexts we wish for. [See: Tyler Summit]

Robin had/has lesbians playing for her. She's been too successful to be so stupid that she would keep them out.

PostPosted: 04/13/16 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes this was an event in the past in the USC WBB program that I followed as it unfolded. I also followed Parson's teams as they became a top program in the young sport.

Parsons was the brick-layer for the foundation at Old Dominion - a first-time coach at any level when she was hired there as it's head coach, Parsons recruited the talent that initially raised ODU's program to it's initial great success starting in 1979, and catapulted from there to be a dominant national program during the AIAW and early NCAA years. It's a shame her career crumbled in the way that it did. She had the potential of becoming Pat Summitt and Tara VanDerveer in WCBB before THEY became them...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: