RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tyler or UConn- which is worse for WCB?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 8:52 am    ::: Tyler or UConn- which is worse for WCB? Reply Reply with quote

Asked another way, would you watch a 2-hr special on LaTech for a greater amount of time than a UConn game?

PostPosted: 04/08/16 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about neither, since the LA Tech special rights have probably already been bought by Nancy Grace.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
How about neither, since the LA Tech special rights have probably already been bought by Nancy Grace.

Bombshell tonight...

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's see ...

One option is arguably the best women's college basketball team ever assembled, playing the game at an extremely high level. The coaching is superb, the talent off the charts and the sportsmanship outstanding.

The other is a young coach -- who I have heard is not the paragon some have claimed -- who sleeps with one of his players.

Which is worse for women's basketball?

Is this a serious question?

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Let's see ...

One option is arguably the best women's college basketball team ever assembled, playing the game at an extremely high level. The coaching is superb, the talent off the charts and the sportsmanship outstanding.

The other is a young coach -- who I have heard is not the paragon some have claimed -- who sleeps with one of his players.

Pretty sure it was tongue-in-cheek...

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Let's see ...

Pretty sure it was tongue-in-cheek...

"tongue-in-cheek"......i'm certain it was....lol

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/16 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Things like this have always happened and they always will. It is called LIFE. The sport is bigger than anything one person or one program does. This isn't about male or female coaches, gay or straight coaches. This is just about this set of people and circumstances and bad choices that were made. Its not anything bigger than that.

Knowing Nancy Grace, she will try to tie this to the Title IX(incorrectly named) lawsuit against UT. She is a tragic example of a media personality made into something she is not and has never been that gets viewers much like the National Enquirer and Fox News. She brags about having worked as an Assistant DA in Fulton County, Georgia. She did, but that office is the most incompetent collection of public works employees I have ever witnessed.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/08/16 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heck, I'd be tickled red white & blue to be able to watch a documentary about the Lady Techsters.

Start with Sonja Hogg and her white mink coats and Cadillacs, move on with Leon Barmore and his mysterious fainting spells, Kim Mulkey's years and years and years as Leon's assistant, LaTech's running Kim off, etc. Think of all the local TV tape there must be in various vaults! Cool

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/08/16 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Heck, I'd be tickled red white & blue to be able to watch a documentary about the Lady Techsters.

Start with Sonja Hogg and her white mink coats and Cadillacs, move on with Leon Barmore and his mysterious fainting spells, Kim Mulkey's years and years and years as Leon's assistant, LaTech's running Kim off, etc. Think of all the local TV tape there must be in various vaults! Cool

LOVE this idea. I'm a huge fan of the ESPN 30 for 30 series and would love to watch a feature on this storied program. While I'm a biased women's bball nut, I think a wonderful documentary on this history of La Tech and the colorful characters that surrounded the program would appeal to a wider sports audience.

Women's hoops was the ticket in Ruston for a long time. Cool sports story.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/16 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is obviously a profound question, not tongue-in-cheek.

Tyler Summitt killed one minor coaching career. UConn has committed genocide on an entire sport for a generation. The difference is apocalyptic.
colt13

PostPosted: 04/08/16 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Tyler Summitt killed one minor coaching career. UConn has committed genocide on an entire sport for a generation. The difference is apocalyptic.

I might as well have fun with this. Before the Tom Brady days, Shannon Sharpe had the famous line "Send in the National Guard, because we are killing the Patriots." Should Connecticut be brought up on charges for killing Mississippi State?

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/08/16 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Clay, what else had you heard prior to this? Was he just a spoiled, entitled brat?

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/08/16 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I might as well have fun with this. Before the Tom Brady days, Shannon Sharpe had the famous line "Send in the National Guard, because we are killing the Patriots." Should Connecticut be brought up on charges for killing Mississippi State?

Illegal dogfighting.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelley Hardwick versus Geno in those sexual harassment charges were interesting chat. Charges got tossed. She filed and appeal, and on, and on lol. I wonder if the appeal, you know what, no I don't. Evil or Very Mad

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blackrain wrote:
Kelley Hardwick versus Geno in those sexual harassment charges were interesting chat. Charges got tossed. She filed and appeal, and on, and on lol. I wonder if the appeal, you know what, no I don't. Evil or Very Mad

That case was brought under New York City and New York State anti-discrimination laws. It got tossed out on jurisdictional grounds because Auriemma's alleged sexual advances against Hardwick took place in Russia and his alleged retaliation against her took place in England. The New York courts essentially said that New York laws can't be used against conduct occurring outside of New York's borders. There was never any evidence or proof presented that Auriemma did or did not engage in the alleged conduct, because the case never got to trial.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/09/16 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about considering the fact that coaches like Staley, McGraw and Mulkey couldn't coach their number one teams well enough to get to where the voters thought they should be - isn't that bad for women's basketball?

dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/11/16 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tyler was bad for women's college basketball the day he was hired.

It angered everyone from LaTech fans to experienced and quality coaches at lower levels looking to move up, it further shrank WCBB to a small show based on icons and legends not a truly competitive D1 where progress might come from an unexpected direction.

What he is now accused of only makes a poor decision appear much worse.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/12/16 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:

It angered everyone from LaTech fans to experienced and quality coaches at lower levels looking to move up, it further shrank WCBB to a small show based on icons and legends not a truly competitive D1 where progress might come from an unexpected direction.

X______________

PostPosted: 04/12/16 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
dtrain34 wrote:

X______________

X______________

Of course it was a poor decision. And it seemed obvious at the time to many posters here. But, in reality, there was a long four-page thread regarding this hire at the time here and it looks like it was pretty close to 50/50 between those blasting it and those defending it.

Although there are some true classic posts in that thread in light of recent events:

"Tyler will definitely get out there and play among them. He might even knock them down on occasion. But he will pick them up if he does, because he is also a gentleman."

But the top of the heap has to be:

XXXXXXX wrote:
****** wrote:
Speaking of recruits, I can't imagine parents being eager to send their daughters off for a coach barely older than they are. I would never do it, no matter who that child-coach was.

Why not? Do you think parents will fear that he is a sexual predator or something???

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

If you want to know who wrote those zingers, you'll have to go find it yourself.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/12/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, there's also another lengthy thread following the publication of an article about Tyler in the Knoxville newspaper. Some more gems from that thread:

"Personally I think Tyler is likely the best prepared 24 yr old to ever take over a head coaching position. And I think it's sweet that he got the job when his mom can proudly watch him work the craft he's been apprenticed to his whole life. I don't really think it's "in the genes" but rather that he was raised on a basketball court among young women playing the game. He has a respect for the women's game that can't be denied."

"This young man honors and respects women and women's basketball, has more knowledge of basketball in his little finger than a lot of more "seasoned" candidates for a HC job, and learned everything he knows from the best coach in the game."

"So basically some of you are saying the decision makers at La Tech were blind, deaf, and dumb idiots who couldn't tell their butthole from a hole in the wall because they chose Tyler? I mean we as fans may not agree with the choices made by the ones in charge but I find it hard to believe any institution would waste that amount of time & money if they didn't think they'd get a worthwhile return on that investment."

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/12/16 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was intrigued, so I went back and looked. Figured I would post a few of the threads that were devoted to Tyler and this hire. Rather interesting...

Summitt named Head Coach - http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=80128&highlight=louisiana+tech+tyler

Tyler Summitt LaTech - http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=82097&highlight=louisiana+tech+tyler

Tyler Summitt easing into head coaching career - http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=82719&highlight=louisiana+tech+tyler

There are some doozies in these threads.

Edit - Reading through those threads, I'm guessing hyperetic, bekcat and JLCarter are particularly disappointed, among others.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/12/16 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, you know, I had a lot of thoughts about the hire. I'd known Tyler (not well, just kind of peripherally since my dad was on the UT athletic board for some time) ever since he was a baby, then a little guy toddling around among the players like an elf in a forest of very tall trees, and then a very small ball boy, then a teenager trying to out-dribble or guard young women who were still bigger than he was, or watching his mom draw up plays, all of that. He played at Webb school, and starting when he was quite young, he coached an AAU girls' team. (And BTW, there was never a breath of any kind of scandal about that, so don't even go there.) He did everything he could to prepare himself for coaching, including going over to the men's side and working alongside Bruce Pearl. (You can think what you want about Bruce, but he's a good coach, and his NCAA infractions were pretty small potatoes compared to what other coaches who are still coaching have done and are getting away with.) So when he got the assistant's job at Marquette, I thought, okay, he's out of the SEC so he's really not riding Mom's coattails and this coach isn't a buddy of Mom's either, so he's on his own. I figured he'd be starting there and working his way up. A good long stretch of assistantships here and there, since Marquette was a cellar dweller at the time, and then maybe a small school HC job or something. Let him work his way up. I didn't really want him to start out this way, but I was willing to give him a chance and support him.

I was as shocked as anyone when he got the LA Tech job. But I thought, okay, they must think he's got the right stuff, I'm only a fan and someone who watched him grow up. I knew how he prepared himself, I think he worked hard, I'll support him. But I wished he'd had more time to prepare himself. I tried to follow the ups and downs of the team as best as I could from up here, and it looked like he was doing things right...they were getting out of the cellar and looked to be buying into his methods. So far so good. And this year it looked even better.....they ended up with a .500 record in the conference and made it part way through the conference tournament. And then the whole thing blew up.

I am, in no particular order, disappointed, appalled, shocked, angry, and heartbroken, for a variety of reasons I won't even start to go into. It's sad for all concerned. I'm also really appalled at the schadenfreude and outright nastiness displayed by some on this board, who seem actually pleased to have seen him screw up. I find that kind of attitude really disgusting.

PostPosted: 04/13/16 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of you remember when UCLA dominated mens bb which drew a collective yawn. When UCLA did not win the NCAA interest in mens bb took off.

UConn has a couple of things that can be said about them (1) Geno is a good coach and (2) UConn is consistently good. (1) above is due to the fact that excellent recruiting helps and the lack of any meaningful academic standards helps the recruiting process. For example how many remember Geno recruiting Gillian Goring a partial qualifier. UConn started 4 national HS POY (Sewart, Tuck, Jefferson and Samuelson) Stanford has had exactly 2 in the past 25 years. Local product Sabrina Ionescu is the current POY but she does not even come close to having the grades to get in Stanford and even with Cal on her "list" she will need exceptions made/
One may like UConn and I can appreciate that but UConn is a bad joke academically ( a 5th rate school) so the players have to hope they can make a bundle in the pros.

Grades are the dirty little secret of college sports

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/13/16 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tyler improved LaTech's record in his first two years (30-31) over the last two years of T-Spoon (26-37), once a heralded coaching choice, and he hadn't even gotten his recruiting program into full gear yet.

This issue isn't about his technical coaching or recruiting chops. It's just the same old story: the species-wide sin of concupiscence, which has afflicted every man since Adam -- no matter his station, title, profession or office.
kool-aide

PostPosted: 04/14/16 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
He did everything he could to prepare himself for coaching, including going over to the men's side and working alongside Bruce Pearl.

heh. Didn't Bruce have an affair, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: